Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

SunAndSpring posted:

I was disappointed to find Keening in Skyrim; it doesn't even kill you when you pick it up.

Didn't they say something about it losing its power when it was last used in Morrowind or was my mind just making poo poo up to fill that dumb mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
How to begin every Morrowind game ever

- Travel the gently caress over to Caldera

- Head towards Balmora

- Aquire Boots of Blinding Speed

- Create a 100 pt magic resist for 1 sec spell

- Cast spell, put on boots forever, enjoy moving at a goddamn decent pace

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Also alchemy being hilariously broken was awesome, I fortified my intelligence so high that I was able to create a fortify strength for 100000000000 points potion that would last until the heat death of universe

Pro: One shot Dagoth Ur with so much damage you bypass his auto heal
Con: You break your weapon after each hit

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Cannot Find Server posted:

Doing this and the tax collector quest so you can buy a sabre and a few spells from Arille is still the exact way I play the first ten minutes of Morrowind to this day.

Don't forget raiding a shelf in the census building, putting everything down before the officer scolds you for stealing, then picking everything back up without the stuff showing up as stolen. Gives you enough loot to buy a weapon and some armor.

This game :allears:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Also if you specialized in swords and didn't get the Daedric Crescent ASAP you hosed up

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

SunAndSpring posted:

Did you get the key near that one guy who takes your papers and gives you the orders to go to Caius Cosades's house? If so, you can break into the warehouse right across from the Census building and rob it of all the armor, moon sugar, and skooma inside of it.

I don't think I ever have. Welp, time to reinstall.

becrumbac posted:

I used Chrysamere, is that bad?

A good sword, I'll allow it

Fake James fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 11, 2014

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Also anyone who pronounces CHIM with a soft ch is a gigantic scrub who should zero-sum themselves

Scrib :eng101:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
poz my N'wah rear end

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Doc Hawkins posted:

For people who played all of them (lol), how would you rank the endings of Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3?

1. Morrowind
2. Morrowind
3. Morrowind
4. Morrowind
5. Morrowind
6. Morrowind
7. Fallout New Vegas
8. Fallout 3
9. Skyrim
10. Oblivion

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Oblivion: Thanks for helping that guy banish a Daedra and save all of Tamriel. As a reward for your efforts, come back to us in a week and I'll give you re-textured legion armor

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Shivering Isles reminded me, y'all have to admit it was cool to see the Champion of Cyrodil make an appearance in Skyrim

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Blue Raider posted:

yea and neloth as well

I just got that part in Dragonborn yesterday and was like oh poo poo it's my boi, and he's still a prick

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

hailthefish posted:

I did the bloodmoon mainquest and a lot of the side content, and almost finished the Tribunal mainquest. I got to the room where you have to run past the circular spinning blade thing in the clockwork city and after a good hundred tries I gave up. Freaky loving questline.

The monsters in the clockwork city drop these potions that increase your movement speed - and the effects stack. Chug a bunch and you should be able to run through that room with no problem.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

An Angry Bug posted:

Y'know, there was a difficulty slider in Oblivion. No shame in using it. And frankly Skyrim's art direction is boring as hell compared to Oblivion's.

You pretty much had to use it when you were level 20 and came across a dread zombie.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

SunAndSpring posted:

How many of you guys loot the Blade of White Woe in Balmora the first chance you get?

I never have - but I always killed Ra'Virr to get a demon tanto, a fiend tanto, a fiend katana, and a devil spear, as well as a sweet place to stash loot until I get my a house base.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
I always went with house hlaalu only because I liked the compound you could build outside of Balmora. I use the construction kit to turn the side buildings into trophy rooms and make my main house a big library / skooma den

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Why are Vivec, Dagoth-Ur, and Molag Bal teaming up to fight television? I feel like I'm sifting through a 14-year old's fanfiction and finding tiny bits of lore here and there

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Maybe I read it wrong, but... was it implied in C0DA that the Dwemer disappeared from Nirn because they knew they'd be defeated, so they retreated in order to outright destroy Nirn later with the Numidium?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
I'm wonderin' why Dagoth-Ur and Almalexia are around and suddenly good people. Last I checked they were kinda busy being dead and poo poo

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

know love to avoid the landfall son

This poo poo confuses me

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
He writes some cool poo poo - like, I think the idea of a sci-fi TES setting and the whole exodus to one of the moons because Nirn is wrecked part is awesome, but then he went full retard with it.

As a person who hasn't delved too deep into the game lore, is there a reason some people think everything he writes is considered amazingl? Most of it just sounds like crazy fan fiction to me, but it seems that people just eat it up simply because some guy that *used* to write stuff for TES made it.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
I guess i didnt word my last comment the best - i like kirkbride's work. Despite thinking it was written in a weird way, especially how Vivec and all them talked, I liked C0DA. It really put an imaginative view of the far TES future into my head and I was able to pick up on his subtle/hidden explanations.

I just dont get why people on r/teslore and other places reference his more recent writings when someone inquires about certain TES events, even though nothing he writes can really be canon if he doesnt work for bethesda.

Im just overthinking this stuff and should sit back and enjoy his dimentia

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Its been awhile since ive played morrowind or oblivion, so correct me if im wrong - wasnt the only way to get the high stat increases when leveling up by increasing major/minor skills? Like if i didnt take destruction as a skill, increasing it alot wouldnt get me +5 wisdom on level up? 300 hours of Skyrim has made me forget how the old leveling system worked.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Cannot Find Server posted:

I still think that medium armor is hugely underrated overall. Bonemold is loving everywhere, easily attainable at the start of the game, provides great protection for the weight, looks killer and even has different variants of some parts so you can mix and match to make it look cooler. And when you outgrow that, orcish is also pretty common, easy to get and provides great stats for the weight. Meanwhile, the best light armor is rare and not easy to get until you're leveled quite a bit, and the two types of heavy armor that are better than orcish are also rare, hard to attain and weight a metric fuckshitton. Like, good luck looting dungeons when nearly half of your maximum carrying capacity is taken up by your suit of ebony. Not to mention the best cuirass in the game? Yep, that fucker is medium.

Medium armor is secretly the best armor, people just have not realized it yet, even 12 years later.

I always roll with medium. Medium 4 lyf

SunAndSpring posted:

How many people have reinstalled because of this thread, anyway?

gently caress, reinstalling now. Dead Space and Skyrim can wait.

Man my favorite memory of this game was playing it on lovely rainy weekends in college with my roommates. Get some beer and take out and just play allday on our PCs until there was cool poo poo to do at night.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 15, 2014

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

An Angry Bug posted:

Back with a First-Time-Player Report:
  • why the gently caress am I moving so slow?

How to not walk like a grandma in morrowind:
  • Get the Boots of Blinding Speed
  • Make a resist magic 100 for 1 sec spell
  • Cast spell, immediately put on boots, never bitch again

You need the spell otherwise you are literally blinded, hence the boots' name

So on this playthrough I want to specialize in spears, wear some baller medium armor, and dabble in magic. Whats the best major/minor skills setup for this?

Fake James fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 16, 2014

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
If you dont play dunmer you can get the gently caress off my homeland, outlander bithc

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Steed is the only sign I take in Skyrim because having up to 550 carry is awesome

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

SunAndSpring posted:

You're an outlander too, you shithead. You came in on a loving boat and walk your gay-rear end Imperialized walk and talk in your whiny Imperial talk and you think you can say, "I'm a native Dunmer!"? gently caress you. Please remove all these loving n'wahs, Dagoth Ur.

Fuckin N'Wahs ruining housing values.

If the internet existed in Morrowind Dagoth Ur would run Stormfront

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

SunAndSpring posted:

Always install Tamriel Rebuilt. Always.

Is there a lot of stuff to do in it or is it basically look at cool stuff kind of a thing?

Also, I haven't played in years, how's this for a spear / mage / sexhaver build:

Major Skills
Spear
Medium Armor
Destruction
Alteration
Alchemy

Minor Skills
Mysticism
Restoration
Conjuration
Athletics
Enchant

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Disco Infiva posted:

Call him Baron of Move Like This. Enchant your spear with absorb milk on hit and call it MUATRA. Now you're good to go :black101:

I'm loving doing it hell yes

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Stalins Moustache posted:

so which house should i join goons??? was telvanni the coolest one?

Hlaalu isn't all that great but you get the most convenient stronghold (right outside Balmora).

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

SunAndSpring posted:

Obviously. After all, the best way to use divinely powered artifacts is to sell them to the godless heathens at the Museum of Mournhold.

...and then steal them all back :unsmigghh:

Now I wish I had rolled with blunt, the idea of chugging a ton of fortify strength potions and beating the poo poo out of people with Stendarr's hammer is too funny.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Confession time guys

I've played this game for countless hours and never knew about the warehouse key until this thread

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

hailthefish posted:

Warehouse key?

The one in the Seyda Neen Census Office.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Who's only level 2 and has a key to the Redoran Vault in Vivec?

This motherfucker :c00lbert:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Cosmos posted:

What should I name and enchant my Daedric Dai-Katana with?

John Romero's Continuous Obsolescence

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

SunAndSpring posted:

Everyone has that key. You're not special.

gggiiimmmppp posted:

To be honest he probably only has the downstairs key :smug:

:smith: I'm poo poo with obtaining some keys in this game, its a big thing for me. All these years playing and I'd never snooped around in that manor.

Are there other vault keys or do you just have to blow open Hlaalu and Telvanni with magic / picks?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
I'm supposed to work on my photography portfolio tonight so I can get a potential job but nah forget it, yo homes to Balmora

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Is there a site with good maps of each stronghold? I've always gone Hlaalu because I like that setup the most, and thus can't remember what the others look like, but I was thinking of going Telvanni this time around.

• Locked thread