Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

japtor posted:

Not sure if that's part of the reason, but I linked something a while ago saying it was picked as a neutral color so as to not be related to any race for ethnicity. I'll edit in the link once I find it.

Found it! http://www.kenmorethompson.com/index.php/the-2002-nba-all-stars-lando-calrissian-and-the-lego-race-question
More an assumption I guess, but still interesting reading about Lando.

Well that goes out the window when you have a character like Vitruvius who has brown colored skin. That makes the yellow the "default" and it seems that it's reserved for the "white" characters.
EDIT: Reading that article now, so it seems like we're making the same point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Vitruvius has brown skin because he's literally Morgan Freeman.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

japtor posted:

Not sure if that's part of the reason, but I linked something a while ago saying it was picked as a neutral color so as to not be related to any race for ethnicity. I'll edit in the link once I find it.

Found it! http://www.kenmorethompson.com/index.php/the-2002-nba-all-stars-lando-calrissian-and-the-lego-race-question
More an assumption I guess, but still interesting reading about Lando.

Yeah, that was a grasp at something only half-remembered. Thanks for the article though, it's an interesting read.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I just came back from the LEGO Movie, and it's one of the trippiest movies I've ever seen. It felt like something Grant Morrison would write. Lots of weird translations between realities and scales. You also had the 'real world' objects as the 4th dimensional objects we see in Morrison, and the characters meeting their creators. You even had the 4th wall breaking message to the audience.

I saw it stoned and in 2D, but I wish I'd seen it in 3D.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 19, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Never thought about the Morrison parallels but that works. His superhero books also strike me as having similar themes- he wants to "reconstruct" the genre and embrace all the creative craziness and old and new weird ideas instead of trying to arrange things in orderly boxes.

Also this movie told me that Speed Racer Lego existed and the sets on Amazon are rare and expensive and I do not need to buy all of them drat YOU LEGO MOVIE

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

I took my parents to see this movie last month when they visited and in the package they sent me this week for Easter, along with the usual selection of candy and plastic grass that gets everywhere, was a little Star Wars Lego kit and a card signed with "SPACESHIP!!!"

It's honestly rare for a movie to have made any impact at all on my folks, let alone an apparent kid's movie, so this just warms my cold dead heart. So awesome :allears:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Timby posted:

Heck, it's still in first-run theaters (at least in Wisconsin), and it only came out two months ago in the U.S. I'd expect home video sometime in June or July.

Following up on this, 2D and 3D Blu-rays are dropping on June 17.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Moving away from the esoteric stuff, I could relate to the central conflict. One of my brothers still has LEGO cities he made as a kid superglued together in boxes that'll never be opened again. The other one makes weird horror movies out of LEGO and is constantly building and rebuilding poo poo.

I do find it ironic that part of the massive hype train for this movie in Australia was displays of really cool models done by adult fans of LEGO. And I imagine they make the kind of crazy glued models that Lord Business does. It felt like the movie was vilifying them, but the company used them for publicity.

achillesforever6 posted:

Its weird that I thought the whole time that she was voiced by Tara Strong, but nope it was Alison Brie

I've seen like one episode of MLP and thought WizKitty was a MLP character or a bit of Brony-pandering.

Which leads to the 'this is so now' feel of the movie.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 20, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Pretty astute reading of the film to bring out that Grant Morrison comparison. The whole thing could very well be a child-sanitized version of the Invisibles, up to and including (Invisibles ending stuff) the idea that the invisibles weren't just fighting to defeat the hosed up forces of order and evil, but actually fighting to induce a scenario where everyone INCLUDING the incredibly hosed up bad guys get what they want.

Incidentally I also just started reading The Filth yesterday. Weeeeeeeird.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Waffleman_ posted:

I thought Rovio was making that one outside the studio system.

Problem is if you want a mainstream animated release you have to go through the US big 6 studios period. Unless you want to go the independent distribution route with a few dozen screens, you'd need 2000-3000 screens stateside to make a BO dent on an animated feature these days.

I hope the lego movie home video includes the animated short/proof of concept that Blur Studios did. I know a few people who worked on it but once Lego was convinced of the look/feel of the film they bid it out to Animal Logic is Australia for production.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Welp, buying the "Everything is Awesome" edition for my wife's UC Graduation present.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blu-ray.com posted:

Dream Job: Meet The LEGO Builders (Everything is Awesome Edition Exclusive)
Feature Audio Commentary
Batman: A True Artist
Michelangelo and Lincoln: History Cops
Enter the Ninjago
Bringing LEGO to Life
"Everything is Awesome" Sing-Along
See it! Build it!
Stories from the Story Team
Fan-Made Films: Top Secret Submissions
Outtakes
Additional Promotional Content
Alleyway Test
Deleted Scenes
Looks like we're getting a couple behind the scenes docs, at least! (And I'm psyched about more Will Forte as Lincoln).

Count Chocula posted:

I've seen like one episode of MLP and thought WizKitty was a MLP character or a bit of Brony-pandering.

I feel like it's more along the lines of the creators assuming that there was a line of MLP legos and then rewrote the character slightly when they realized there wasn't. From what I've seen of the series, UniKitty is pretty much Pinkie Pie.

I'm just glad that the movie featured a set that was intended to appeal to girls without being vaguely sexist, something that Lego themselves have trouble with.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 24, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Friends may have started out fairly repugnant but they definitely redeemed themselves with many gender neutral later sets. They may be in pastel colors, but they're much more varied than just Hair Salon and Kitchen Nook now.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

See it! Build it!

Might that be a dvd extra showing how to build things from the movie that aren't in sets?

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

quote:

Michelangelo and Lincoln: History Cops

I want to see this more than anything. I need to get a blu-ray player.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So the bluray comes out in like 10 days, and Amazon still won't let me pre-order it. I see Target has an exclusive version, but it's not the two disk version. Does anyone know if there's going to be some "best" version of the bluray copy to order/go to stores for?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD9TEjnItJ4

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

IUG posted:

So the bluray comes out in like 10 days, and Amazon still won't let me pre-order it. I see Target has an exclusive version, but it's not the two disk version. Does anyone know if there's going to be some "best" version of the bluray copy to order/go to stores for?

The "Everything is Awesome" edition looks like the one to get. amazon has disabled preorders and some discounts on items from Warner to get leverage in wholesale purchase negotiations or something silly.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Is it wrong that I want this to get made in some fashion?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

OptimusShr posted:

Is it wrong that I want this to get made in some fashion?

It's another step closer to Clone High coming back, so I'm with you.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
That was amazing.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Remember back in the VHS era where the editions were the movie, and maybe the movie with a fancy cover? Can we go back to that?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Is it better or worse when the only edition of the movie has a name on it to make it seem special?

Z Edition my rear end, Dragonball Evolution.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Keiya posted:

Remember back in the VHS era where the editions were the movie, and maybe the movie with a fancy cover? Can we go back to that?

I would agree with you, but then again I just spent $15 to get the steelbook edition of Scott Pilgrim, which I already owned, so obviously the whole multiple editions thing works :v:

it has a shiny comic book styled cover, though it's not even in Bryan Lee O'Malley's style I am the worst

This is hilarious, but there's gotta be more to the video that explains why Michaelangelo's VA's delivery is so stilted.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Two details; one, I love how the chief of police is a sheriff robot, and two I also love how when Abe throws his hat his beard is attached to it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:allears:

This movie is the gift that keeps on giving.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

lelandjs posted:

I would agree with you, but then again I just spent $15 to get the steelbook edition of Scott Pilgrim, which I already owned, so obviously the whole multiple editions thing works :v:

it has a shiny comic book styled cover, though it's not even in Bryan Lee O'Malley's style I am the worst

This is hilarious, but there's gotta be more to the video that explains why Michaelangelo's VA's delivery is so stilted.

I think that the joke is that it's a B movie with bad actors, but in Lego. Which is great, and I love it.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

umalt posted:

Two details; one, I love how the chief of police is a sheriff robot, and two I also love how when Abe throws his hat his beard is attached to it.

Plus, in keeping with the behavior of a certain other cop character, the sheriff robot kicks his chair around. The police really have it in for chairs in the Lego universe, it seems.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think that the joke is that it's a B movie with bad actors, but in Lego. Which is great, and I love it.

Oh you did not just insult Will Forte's Abe Lincoln.

Just look at how wrong you are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn4MulRm3yo&t=18m30s

Forte voicing Abraham Lincoln is a goddamn gift and we're drat lucky we got a reprise of it in the Lego Movie, if only for one brief moment.

Yeah I'm still insanely bitter about the loss of Clone High why do you ask

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No, it's intentionally bad as a joke.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

lelandjs posted:

I'm pretty sure that Michael Angel O is played by one of the directors of the movie (Lord), so it's the likely combination of inexperienced voice actor + purposefully bad acting.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

lelandjs posted:

Oh you did not just insult Will Forte's Abe Lincoln.

Just look at how wrong you are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn4MulRm3yo&t=18m30s

Forte voicing Abraham Lincoln is a goddamn gift and we're drat lucky we got a reprise of it in the Lego Movie, if only for one brief moment.

Yeah I'm still insanely bitter about the loss of Clone High why do you ask

Yeah :(:hf::( oh, Clone High Wesley.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I just got up Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! as a late birthday gift. Putting the thing together is amazing and hilarious. The canopies on the "sidecars" on the wings don't close properly (by design), and so far the main body is just one thing attached horizontally to another; some pieces seem to be put on backwards, others clash horribly with the surrounding pieces, some don't look like they serve any purpose whatsoever, and still others don't seem like they should fit where they do, yet somehow they make it.

In other words, "This isn't a spaceship, it's a hodgepodge!"

I've got some pictures, but I'll get around to posting them in a few days, hopefully.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I will be christening my new Blu-ray player with this movie tomorrow. I expect to freeze frame everything. :toot:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Finally saw this, pretty sure it's literally the most awesome movie I've seen in like, decades. Jesus.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
Gotta say I enjoyed this movie so much more than I ever thought I would, everything was just on point. On some level I have no idea how they could ever top it, but there's a ton of potential for a hilarious sequel. Would love some kind of super-brand-team-up with Marvel in the mix as well fighting off the "alien invaders". Oh and Lando commenting on Batman's "sweet cape" has to be one of the best things ever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lando's appearance in the film in general was one of the most amazing cameos ever. I just now went to make sure it really was Billy Dee Williams (of course it was) and saw that was also Anthony Daniels. And Jonah Hill was Green Lantern? "I super-hate you" has never been so appropriate.

Has Harrison Ford said why he didn't do it? Does he just have no soul? He did Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for gently caress's sake!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

precision posted:

Lando's appearance in the film in general was one of the most amazing cameos ever. I just now went to make sure it really was Billy Dee Williams (of course it was) and saw that was also Anthony Daniels. And Jonah Hill was Green Lantern? "I super-hate you" has never been so appropriate.

Has Harrison Ford said why he didn't do it? Does he just have no soul? He did Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for gently caress's sake!

Channing Tatum played Superman, so the two characters were basically just a Jump Street reference.

And Harrison Ford probably wasn't available or was too expensive.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
LEGO Movie is one of those things that you hear about all the time and you think 'ok the internet is hugging something too hard again, I'm sure this is an ok movie but they just lost their poo poo because lol batman and stupid random jokes', then you actually go see it and you remember sometimes if everyone's talking about how great something is maybe it's because that thing is legitimately great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tatum Girlparts posted:

LEGO Movie is one of those things that you hear about all the time and you think 'ok the internet is hugging something too hard again, I'm sure this is an ok movie but they just lost their poo poo because lol batman and stupid random jokes', then you actually go see it and you remember sometimes if everyone's talking about how great something is maybe it's because that thing is legitimately great.

So I think what you're trying to say here is "Everything is awesome"?

(Also, legitimately the best song Tegan and Sara have ever done :colbert: )

• Locked thread