Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I don't think I've ever laughed so much throughout a movie. This was simply amazing and I can't wait to see it again to pick up the stuff I already know I missed the first time. like Jonah hill voicing the sycophantic aquaman, Channing Tatum doing superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's Green Lantern.

He's a little better than Aquaman.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

It really should've been Aquaman, though. That's the one major flaw in this movie.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

There are so many blink and you miss 'em gags in this movie, I definitely need to go see this one again. As a kid that grew up in the "dark age" of legos ('90s-'00s) I still saw a lot of stuff from the sets that I had. Johnny Thunder is in one of the Master Builder scenes, and I'm drat certain that they use a sound effect from LEGO Loco when the train shows up.

Great flick, but I'm not entirely sure how a sequel would work.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I've only got one question about the movie: does the orange transparent chainsaw show up at any point? This is important.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Neo Rasa posted:

This is reminding me of my efforts to make x-wings and the Millenium Falcon and stuff before the Lego Star Wars stuff existed to make it actually work. It was so awesome but so, just ever so slightly off in the dumbest ways. Like you had to use a bunch of those two stud hinge pieces so that the x-wing's wings could fold out but even when the pieces were new they weren't strong enough to hold the wings open so you had to basically hold it like that while playing with it.

And you had to settle for rectangular wings since none of the angled plates in existence at the time had a gentle enough angle to work.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I remember using those flat rectangle ones for the wings and then using the actual sharp angle "wing" pieces for the guns, it was awesome. :D

Triskelli posted:

There are so many blink and you miss 'em gags in this movie, I definitely need to go see this one again. As a kid that grew up in the "dark age" of legos ('90s-'00s) I still saw a lot of stuff from the sets that I had. Johnny Thunder is in one of the Master Builder scenes, and I'm drat certain that they use a sound effect from LEGO Loco when the train shows up.

Great flick, but I'm not entirely sure how a sequel would work.

In all the crowd shots where you can see individual civilians, they're all wearing t-shirts of blacktron/etc. other themes Lego had in the eighties and nineties. Oh man, I mean yeah having an NES was great but Lego was definitely my favorite toy ever in the eighties, and nineties.

...and 2000s :)

Do they even need to do a sequel to this? If Warner Bros. is real smart they'll do more Lego movies based around specific properties, like a second Lego Batman movie, one based on the Hobbit (there's a Lego Hobbit game already coming out in like three months), a new Star Wars movie is coming out in the next two years that will of course have a Lego game attached to it that they can do a movie about.

That way by the time a "Lego Movie 2" comes out it doesn't matter what it will be about because people will be clamoring for all the properties to be mixed up again. Also Warner Bros. can finally stop bumbling around trying to have an equivalent to the Marvel cinematic canon with their superheroes because they already have it now with Lego stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 10, 2014

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Crappy Jack posted:

It really should've been Aquaman, though. That's the one major flaw in this movie.

I prefer Green Lantern because in the context of the poo poo fest that was the Green Lantern movie, it makes the gag way funnier than Aquaman could've made it.

Also, Aquaman is awesome.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm gonna post these here too since they're fairly relevant and people seemed to find them informative and interesting:

Captain Invictus posted:

Bionicle is a Lego property, not K'nex.

In fact, Bionicle was one of the reasons Lego survived in the dark days of the late 90's/early oughts. They had made some incredibly terrible business decisions with nearly all of their lines(most notably almost the entire City line, Rock Raiders and that one series with the weird-sized cool dude minifigs) for multiple years that it literally almost sunk the company, and ironically they were at such a point that Mega Bloks was looking to buy them.

I can go into more detail if folks want, but yeah, Bionicle alongside Lego Star Wars and a new CEO saved the entire company. Granted, early Bionicle was basically Technic stuff with balljoints, while later ones became almost all unique pieces, which kinda sucked.

Darth TNT posted:

I am interested. I know that they hit it hard around 2000. But they have recently been on the rise again. Bionicle was big for a while but as far as I can tell it has shrunk a lot.
Anyway I thought that the reason they were making a comeback was because the copyright on lego was going to expire. They were complacent due to being pretty much a monopoly. With the copyright expiring it would allow much more competition into the market which in turn forced Lego to look for new themes. This lead to the many licensed Lego boxes you see now. (star wars lego, harry potter, My little pony lego etc)
But apparently I'm wrong so I am really curious as to what you know. :)

Lego was doing well up until the mid-90's, where they started to flag, and tried a few different tactics. In the late 90's/early oughts they churned out lots of sets with horrifically bad parts usage and made lots of unique parts for many sets(Rock Raiders in particular had tons of huge, pretty useless specialty pieces). Stuff like this lovely police station:

Really, if any vehicle set had that specific wedge part in that picture that has the headlights on it(on the truck), it was probably garbage. Notice the total emptiness of the "inside" of the building itself. Lots of sets were like this, with very very few actual bricks, mostly specialty parts. Even the foundation of the building, the large white pieces, were one big piece instead of multiple smaller regular bricks. This meant that you could pretty much build the set by the book, and not much else. Many other similar sets were made, like so:

Lego part molds are ridiculously expensive and they were creating tons of new ones for specific pieces that only got used in a handful of sets, which was a huge waste of money. People didn't buy the sets and Lego started to decline sharply. Rock Raiders was a disaster. Just look at this garbage.

You've probably noticed a trend in these above sets, huge unwieldy specialized pieces like the ridiculous cockpits, the caution-striped things, the drills(though the drills are pretty neat pieces and got more use in later sets), the arch pieces, the laser thing, the huge bins, and the conspicuous near-lack of regular bricks. They discouraged creativity and Lego advertised them heavily, I remember seeing lots of this commercial on TV. Here's a handy image of the gigantic single-piece parts that came in the sets.

A similar series from the same time frame that bombed terribly because of the bad parts usage was Insectoids. Just look at this thing and count the regular bricks on it versus extremely specialized parts:

Those gigantic back leg pieces? used in four sets. Ever. And all of them were large and expensive sets. That sort of problem plagued turn of the millenium Lego.

The prototypical Bionicle series, Throwbots, as far as I know had middling sales if not straight-up bombed. The figures were crap and were almost entirely new pieces, had bad gimmicks, bad articulation, and came in these huge heavy plastic shells that couldn't be used for anything.

Suffice to say, kids weren't happy with these and Lego fell into dire straits. Then a new CEO came along and turned them around. He initiated licensing deals for Star Wars Legos(arguably the single biggest business decision Lego has ever made and saved the company), slashed the amount of unique pieces being produced by a significant amount, had a buildable action figure line created(Bionicle) that had its own storyline and pieces that could be used outside of their own sets(as opposed to Throwbots and Roboriders whose major pieces were extremely specific in use), increased the amount of normal bricks, wedges, and plates versus specialized parts in sets, and the company rebounded in a huge way. Pretty sure I heard they are now the second most profitable toy company in the world right now, behind Mattel.

Like, I just googled "2012 lego city" and all of those sets not only look way better, but also have much more diverse parts usage and plenty of regular standard bricks, plates, and wedges for creative building for kids(or adults!). For example, look at The Mine, or the Police Station. They both use parts from the dark days of 1998-2000(the huge single-piece rock walls, split-open boulders, and gigantic archway on The Mine, and the Police Station has those tall 2x1 parts, giant roof wedges, and the helicopter is very similar to the 1998 one) but they're a much smaller percentage of the overall pieces and the sets incorporate many more smaller, useful parts.

And just 'cuz, this is what the average vehicles look like nowadays, compared to, say, those really awful trucks from 1998 near the top of the post. It's a world of difference and exactly why they fly off shelves instead of warm them.

As for the Bionicle 2003 crash, I KNEW it would be the Rahkshi, Bohrok Va and Bohrok-Kal year. The Bohrok-Kal were literally just recolors of the regular Bohrok but with lots of silvery poo poo on them. The Rahkshi were recolors of each other. The Bohrok Va were just garbage. The only thing that differentiated any of them were the weapons, unlike with the original Toa and Toa Nuva sets which each had different aspects added onto the core body frame. Lego was trying to save some cash by churning out huge amounts of recolors and it backfired horribly. That was around the time I stopped paying attention to Bionicle, really. Metru Nui was refreshing and made it popular again, and that was the last I looked at it.

Hopefully this post wasn't too incoherent. :)

Also, there's no My Little Pony Lego set, as MLP is owned by a rival toy company, Hasbro.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Aphrodite posted:

It took me entirely too long to realize the Piece of Resistance was a plastic cap.

It didn't click for me either until they revealed the Krazy glue was the relic taken at the beginning of the film and was going to be used to freeze everything.

Also, I thought it was a funny nod at the beginning when Lord Business takes over and nothing happens for 8 1/2 years which presumably is when the kid during the live action parts is old enough to start messing with his dad's Lego .

Man, this movie was great. So glad I saw this instead of Monuments Men. :)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This is a pretty interesting post. I had always had this mindset about those sets having too many specialized parts to be fun but I had no idea it was such an intentional direction on the company's part. It's actually what made me stop buying new sets at that time because I would see what I know now is "Lego Insectoids" or whatever and not see how that was any different from just buying an action figure. Even those earlier Lego Star Wars sets turned me off for that reason.

Also now realizing that "Octan" became a thing at this point in Lego's history and that about 8 and a half years later we saw Lego Star Wars really take off and the company get popular again, the plot of the movie just became absurdly layered. :aaaaa:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I don't know what could actually be done in a sequel, thematically. The conflict between Lord Business and the Master Builders being the real-world conflict between Will Ferrell Dad and Son over how Legos are supposed to be played with is what gives this movie so much emotional power beyond the jokes and references being so on point and perfect, and I think a sequel would have to address the real world again in order to be as poignant as this movie ended up being without retreading the territory it already covered.

Maybe the sequel can be about middle school Lego robotics clubs and competitions? You could make it a Lego giant robot movie! Maybe even bring in one of those Exo-Squad anime minifigures for a cameo. That was Exo-Squad, right? The one with all the anime faces and wigs? Or was it Exo-Force?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I want to talk for a second about Metalbeard. He's got such a strange design, I can't decide if he was an early draft of a villain, or a Transfomers parody, or both.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

And just 'cuz, this is what the average vehicles look like nowadays, compared to, say, those really awful trucks from 1998 near the top of the post. It's a world of difference and exactly why they fly off shelves instead of warm them.

It's funny how reducing the specially shaped pieces and going back to the basics makes them look more real.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This was easily the best remake of The Matrix I've ever seen. :)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I saw it Saturday and I was completely unprepared for how great it was. It seems to be expertly crafted to appeal to people like me (turning 30 this year and spent the first 13 sitting in a sea of LEGO bricks making mech robots and playing NES games) and the kids we brought (10 year olds who watch Minecraft vids on the internet and love LEGO's).

The reveals are surprisingly well done, the jokes and gags come rapid fire, they managed to find some kind of inherent conflict in loving LEGO bricks in general, the animation is unique and the adherence to "make them look like actual legos" makes for the first CG movie in a long time that's actually fun to watch (it looks like it was a loving BLAST to work on).

The tone of the whole thing feels very "of the moment" despite not taking place in anything resembling the real world, I feel like when people look back to get a feel for what people in 201X thought was funny this is going to be a touchstone. It felt like watching the kids CG movie industry begin to successfully grapple with what the internet has done to people's taste in comedy.

If I have one complaint it's that they press hard on the nostalgia button for all the oldies in the theater as it's coming to a close, but it's not arbitrary or anything, just bordering on schmaltz.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

This was easily the best remake of The Matrix I've ever seen. :)

Just to reinforce this idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x82rX-TGIBU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Neo Rasa posted:

That way by the time a "Lego Movie 2" comes out it doesn't matter what it will be about because people will be clamoring for all the properties to be mixed up again. Also Warner Bros. can finally stop bumbling around trying to have an equivalent to the Marvel cinematic canon with their superheroes because they already have it now with Lego stuff.
I want a Marvel DC Lego Crossover, come on WB and Disney make it happen :argh:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I can't say what's up with Metalbeards design but he reminded me of the Ork bosses from WH40k, especially since a lot of them feature gigantic metal Jaws and ridiculous accessories.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

That's Green Lantern.

He's a little better than Aquaman.

Was it supposed to be Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner? One of them gets dumped on a lot anyway, and the other maybe deserves to get dumped on a lot. Either way, shoulda been Guy Gardner.

A few observations since I'm not CDposter enough to talk cogently about how I felt about the themes of the movie:

I mentioned it in the Lego thread in DIY but in addition to the split, Benny's helmet has little dents in it that look an awful lot like the ones I left in lego pieces when I pried them apart with my teeth.

One thing I didn't notice, but maybe it got into a line of dialogue that flew by me, is that nobody complained about how they couldn't find the piece they were looking for but they saw it a dozen times five minutes ago. IRL every single person who has put together something out of a big pile of Lego has run into this.

Someone in the animation thread mentioned that nobody in the movie said the word "Lego". Which is pretty impressive for a feature length movie about the stuff. Now, the word is printed on every single brick, but I was thinking, how many times a day do you hear someone say "baryonic matter"? Or even "atoms"?

The guy they got to do Han Solo had me totally convinced. I was actually a bit disappointed to see Billy Dee Williams and Anthony Daniels but no Harrison Ford in the credits.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Green Lantern in Lego should be Hal since they're the Justice League members.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Phy posted:

The guy they got to do Han Solo had me totally convinced. I was actually a bit disappointed to see Billy Dee Williams and Anthony Daniels but no Harrison Ford in the credits.

Seriously! That was my favorite part of the movie, and I was so sure he was voicing the character. I was pretty bummed when I learned the truth.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Well Manicured Man posted:

I don't know what could actually be done in a sequel, thematically. The conflict between Lord Business and the Master Builders being the real-world conflict between Will Ferrell Dad and Son over how Legos are supposed to be played with is what gives this movie so much emotional power beyond the jokes and references being so on point and perfect, and I think a sequel would have to address the real world again in order to be as poignant as this movie ended up being without retreading the territory it already covered.

Maybe the sequel can be about middle school Lego robotics clubs and competitions? You could make it a Lego giant robot movie! Maybe even bring in one of those Exo-Squad anime minifigures for a cameo. That was Exo-Squad, right? The one with all the anime faces and wigs? Or was it Exo-Force?

Easy just do what it did at the end and make it a DUPLO and Bionicle crossover event :getin:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Pixeltendo posted:

Easy just do what it did at the end and make it a DUPLO and Bionicle crossover event :getin:

As much as I'd love for the directors to make a sequel about them smashing lego figures and sets together again, I just don't see how you can get another movie out of the concept without acknowledging the dad, kid, and sister from the very beginning. Maybe they could go for a Princess Bride style opening where you start with them upturning a bin of lego bricks, but it basically has to be a new story with new characters in my opinion

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

Considering how well the Green Lantern movie did I think it works just fine.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
I've been telling everyone at work about this movie. I really suspect it is going to pick up some serious steam.

Also, was I the only one that absolutely lost it at the He's the hero you deserve line?

Aphrodite posted:

No, but I was in the theater I went to.

Yeah, I got some odd looks laughing as hard as I did at it. I was the only one that got it and had to explain it to my wife. *sadface*

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 10, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I've been telling everyone at work about this movie. I really suspect it is going to pick up some serious steam.

Also, was I the only one that absolutely lost it at the He's the hero you deserve line?

No, but I was in the theater I went to.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

It took a little bit after Batman said that line, but quite a few people in the theater chuckled when he did.

Pixeltendo posted:

Personally, I think Lego should sign a deal with Bandai to get their Gunpla stuff into the mix. Introduce a whole generation of little kids to the kitbashing potential of Japanese plastic robots and resurrect Bandai US.

The downside to that fantasy is that Gundam will forever be known as a manufactured toy outside of Japan and Yoshiyuki Tomino, the creator of Gundam, will die an early death from alcohol poisoning in reaction to that.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 10, 2014

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Yeah, I got some odd looks laughing as hard as I did at it. I was the only one that got it and had to explain it to my wife. *sadface*

My entire theater went crazy at that line. Luckily I was in one chock full of 20-somethings who seemed to appreciate the movie on most intended levels.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Apparently Fox Business had a segment where they slammed the movie for being anti-business. Which is insane, if you watched any more of the movie than to the point where you found out the villain was an evil businessman named President Business. (I don't think the people on Fox did.)

The CEO of a business that gives people instructions for how to build new Lego sets all the time is told to his face by the protagonist that he is the coolest, most creative, person in the world. The scene is explicitly on two levels, and implicitly, I don't see how that can be construed to be anything but supportive, and even redemptive, of the corporation that is The Lego Group.

Interestingly, the movie presents supergluing as a horror, and antithetical to creativity and fun. Yet The Lego Group routinely superglues its creations together when they are exposed to the elements and lots of people, like for display pieces in malls, or at the Legoland theme parks. And indeed, the movie has Bad Cop's kragled cop car as being indestructible.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010
This movie was amazingly awesome. I almost choked laughing when batman stole the Millennium Falcon's hyperdrive and the Falcon got eaten by the spaceworm. Excellent reference :D

I was expecting it to be a fun movie and it blew me away.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My favorite scene aside from the end, was Bad Cop's angry rampage after Emmet and Wyldstyle got away for the first time. I couldn't breathe. The animation was hilarious.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
I was glad the action sequences actually had some long, wide shots at times and weren't entirely MICHAEL BAY JUMP CUTS

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

This may be the best movie of the year already. I still can't believe that College Humor Batman was basically a main character of the film.

Hemlock
Jan 17, 2006
Waffle.
I popped along to see this yesterday with pretty low expectations. I have an Unlimited Card (pay X a month, see as many films as you like) and probably would never have gone to see this if I had to buy a ticket- and what a mistake that would have been!

I was so unexpectedly delighted by the whole thing- the effects were incredible and the different sets and characters brought up so much nostalgia. I’ve always loved Lego but I’d forgotten how much I played with it as a child- and how many different pieces/types my siblings and I had growing up! I still have Lego stuff around (I have a big female head (storage tub thing) staring at me from my shelf right now) but this made me want to dig out all our old bricks and have a bit of a play again.

The film isn’t officially out in the UK until Friday this week (they were doing preview screenings all weekend though) but I’ve been telling lots of my colleagues to go and watch it. Definitely a must-see for anyone who grew up with the stuff.

Predictably I did end up with ‘Everything is awesooooooome’ going around in my head all day today. There’s no escape!

How does the licensing work for something like this? I know in the Arrow thread people are always saying how careful license owners are with Batman/Superman etc. so there’s unlikely to be crossover with certain characters. Are Lego character rights completely separate? I realise I might be able to Google this. Will Wikipedia it shortly, but if there's a Vitruvius-esque goon who'd like to share their infinite wisdom I'd be curious to know more.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Now that Warner Bros. owns 1/2 of all pop culture they're able to tap into the right combination of cameos to be both nostalgic to adults and awesome to new kids, plus the licensed Lego _____ sets and video games are a license to print money so I don't think they have to work too hard to get whatever property they want. They were smart to crack Star Wars first actually, so it's less "hrrmm our product may be devalued by being in this dumb toy line" and more "we can get the same exposure to kids and adults as STAR WARS and LORD OF THE RINGS?!?!"

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 11, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's a limit, though. Lego won't license any properties that are about realistic war or violence, for example.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

There's a limit, though. Lego won't license any properties that are about realistic war or violence, for example.

Well yeah obviously there's not going to be RoboCop vs. Terminator vs. Predator vs. Aliens or whatever, but that's not a licensing issue that's just what they don't want to do.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Do they even need to do a sequel to this? If Warner Bros. is real smart they'll do more Lego movies based around specific properties, like a second Lego Batman movie, one based on the Hobbit (there's a Lego Hobbit game already coming out in like three months), a new Star Wars movie is coming out in the next two years that will of course have a Lego game attached to it that they can do a movie about.

I don't think they need to, or how the hell the story would go, but apparently they are:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...utm_medium=feed

quote:

Yep, Warner Bros. has gone ahead and hired Jared Stern (“The Internship,” “Mr. Popper’s Penguins”) and Michelle Morgan (“Girl Most Likely”) to work on the script for the followup. So what's the rush? Not only is the studio clearly happy with the advance buzz, but the movie is expected to do huge business with weekend, with an expected opening north of $40 million. No word yet if Lord and Miller will return to direct, but given that they've knocked it out of the park here, we'd reckon their phones are ringing.
...I haven't seen any of those or have any clue how they were, anyone have an opinion on those writers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013
My friends and I used to make giant robots and put live bugs in the cockpits. Then we'd take turns throwing marbles at them until they exploded.

I need to see this movie.

• Locked thread