Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Jacket
Oct 23, 2008

Suddenly I have a refreshing mint flavor!
So out of curiosity I checked out that Brickset website and learned the original Lego minifigs from the 70s had no faces. :stare: Slightly unsettling.

Also wow, 95% fresh score on Rotten Tomatoes for the movie so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
loving loved every minute of it and the live action twist caught me totally off guard, but I loved it.

I only wish that Ian McKellan had played Gandalf's 3 lines. You just know he would've if they'd asked.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phy posted:

The guy they got to do Han Solo had me totally convinced. I was actually a bit disappointed to see Billy Dee Williams and Anthony Daniels but no Harrison Ford in the credits.

Well he does have a history of doing bad voiceovers.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Huge nod to Jodorowsky in there caught me off guard and left me a little speechless. Holy poo poo what a fun movie.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
I just came back from seeing it, and holy crap, i seriously can't remember the last time i had so much fun watching a movie.(im 30)
The visuals are truly amazing, for the first couple scenes of Emmet walking around his apartment made me think that this was the most incredible stop-motion animation ever made, its just fantastic all around.

I also found out that my gf has never played with Lego in her life, that's going to change tomorrow.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
I really enjoyed the movie. The trailer made it look sort of.. silly but it was a very good movie. My mom even liked it and she said it looked stupid when she first saw the trailer. We took my eight year old nephew who liked it as well. It had something that all ages could enjoy.

Find it sort of ironic how there are lego sets from the movie when the movie was about not always following instructions and doing your own thing. I still want the sets though.

Pendergast fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 11, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Waffleman_ posted:

There's a limit, though. Lego won't license any properties that are about realistic war or violence, for example.

Neo Rasa posted:

Well yeah obviously there's not going to be RoboCop vs. Terminator vs. Predator vs. Aliens or whatever, but that's not a licensing issue that's just what they don't want to do.
Yeah you have to go to MEGA BLOKS and BEST-LOCK to get your Call of Duty and Terminator fix...

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Pendergast posted:

Find it sort of ironic how there are lego sets from the movie when the movie was about not always following instructions and doing your own thing. I still want the sets though.

I think of it this way: When you first get the set, yeah, follow the instructions. After that, GO NUTS.

Also, some of the sets are revamped versions of existing sets. The flying dumptruck is just the LEGO City dumptruck with the extra parts necessary to convert it, and it includes both sets of instructions so you can make either/or.

edit: Something that occurred to me after the fact...All the emphasis on how much Emmet wanted to simply hold Wyldstyle's hand really weirded me out. And THEN I realized that's how a little kid sees romance beyond just kissing. loving layers to this movie.

Also, who else realized that this movie is a Clone High reunion?

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 11, 2014

DrunkDalek
May 20, 2003

Drinking beer to make music to drink beer to.
I think one of the directors was explicitly told by Lego honchos that they could pretty much do whatever they wanted, but they couldn't show kissing.

Now I'm reminded of the end of Pacific Rim where the male & female lead have survived the giant climactic battle and just hug.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Huh. Well, if true, they certainly made it work within the narrative.

Also, I'm just gonna say this, Will Arnett's Batman voice puts Bale to shame.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

Yeah you have to go to MEGA BLOKS and BEST-LOCK to get your Call of Duty and Terminator fix...

They uh, sure captured the stereotypical modern gaming gray and brown in brick form.

Some quick throwaway jokes/lines (paraphrased) sticking around in my head:
"Are you a DJ?"
Abraham Lincoln flying off in a jet powered chair.
"Are you ready for this?" "Oh no, they were ready for that!"
"Meet up in [x][units of time]!" followed by the quick time card.
"It's a highly sophisticated interlocking brick system" (or like I said in the other thread, pretty much anything from Ferrell in that sequence)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
One line that adults will guffaw at but kids might miss is GET OFF MY TRAIN.

I didn't think this movie would be as good as it was. It's the real deal. They could have phoned in a giant toy commercial but instead made something funny and touching. I laughed at Will Ferrel in this more than I did in Anchorman 2.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

muckswirler posted:

Huge nod to Jodorowsky in there caught me off guard and left me a little speechless. Holy poo poo what a fun movie.

Can you elaborate? I completely missed it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Batman's bit on Cloud Cuckoo Land is great "I hate this place" had me in stitches.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
Man that was a fun movie. You can just feel the love the film has for LEGO and the people who play with it. The reveal in the third act took it from "good" to "brilliant."

Made me go home, haul out my old 80's spaceman LEGO and build a SPACESHIP! for my spacemans to fly around in. :)

I was a bit disappointed to realize the only coloured spaceman I was missing was the blue one...

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

ScottyBomb posted:

Man that was a fun movie. You can just feel the love the film has for LEGO and the people who play with it. The reveal in the third act took it from "good" to "brilliant."

Made me go home, haul out my old 80's spaceman LEGO and build a SPACESHIP! for my spacemans to fly around in. :)

I was a bit disappointed to realize the only coloured spaceman I was missing was the blue one...

Well, they have reissued the Spaceman now because of the movie, so go get the blue guy. SPACESHIP!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ScottyBomb posted:

coloured spaceman

Hey, we don't call them that anymore.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

I wouldn't want that cheap poo poo in my house. Mega Blocks are the devil.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man, how cheap is the Terminator license that it ended up with Best Lock?

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

Aphrodite posted:

Hey, we don't call them that anymore.

:golfclap:

Well played, sir. Well played.

Let's just say I have a diverse crew of spacemans.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Man, how cheap is the Terminator license that it ended up with Best Lock?

The franchise has gone from studio to studio to lesser studios in the last few years. Its as valuable as mud.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Just reading about it makes me want to see this film. Is it something I can go to the cinema to see without being judged, or should I bring my little brother along as a clever ploy?

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Looke posted:

Just reading about it makes me want to see this film. Is it something I can go to the cinema to see without being judged, or should I bring my little brother along as a clever ploy?

Something like 60% of the weekend audience were adults, so you should be fine. That said, your little brother will probably also love it, assuming he likes LEGO.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Looke posted:

I have been to Disney Princess movies by myself and I went to Lego by myself because none of my friends have the balls to join me. I haven't encountered Chris Hansen yet. "Sir, please have a seat. Why are you watching this children's movie alone? Do you realize it is not for your age group? There is an R rated movie in the theater next to this one. Oh, so you went into the wrong theater? Let's see your ticket. What's in the bag? I see, Red Robin Burger and Fries. You sicken me."

I'm sure I'm being judged though.

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

Looke posted:

Honestly, I don't think anyone will judge you regardless (in my experiences, nobody gives a poo poo, really), but I say still bring your little brother, it's such a good movie, you wouldn't want him missing out. If you're still worried about being judged by going alone, just bring a notepad and a pen and occasionally jot anything down, pretend to be a film critic

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Looke posted:

Who cares?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What you do is like 2 minutes before it starts, pretend to take a phone call and loudly say "But I already bought the tickets! Fine, I'm staying to watch!"

Problem solved!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Looke posted:

Just go. Literally who cares? The person at the ticket counter doesn't give a drat.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Go alone but tell your little brother before you leave just to be a real gently caress.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
After this weekend I doubt there's any stigma attached to it. I would go out on a limb and say this movie's target audience is secretly 20-30 year olds, but it is through and through enjoyable by all ages.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ScottyBomb posted:

:golfclap:

Well played, sir. Well played.

Let's just say I have a diverse crew of spacemans.
That reminded me of this thing I saw yesterday, not sure how accurate it is but pretty interesting if it's true:
http://www.kenmorethompson.com/index.php/the-2002-nba-all-stars-lando-calrissian-and-the-lego-race-question

rawdog pozfail posted:

Go alone but tell your little brother before you leave just to be a real gently caress.
Yeah leave him if you want to be a jerk :colbert:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Pick posted:

Just go. Literally who cares? The person at the ticket counter doesn't give a drat.

As someone who has worked box office a lot over the last seven years, I can assure you we don't

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The franchise has gone from studio to studio to lesser studios in the last few years. Its as valuable as mud.

I smell a goon project.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

This film is incredible, but I was utterly horrified by what was possibly the most explicit decapitation I've ever seen in a children's film. :ohdear:

:v:

animal math
Oct 2, 2012

Echoing the love for this movie. I went to a 2pm showing and the theatre was mostly empty, a few kids with their parents along with some teenagers and adults on their own. I was expecting to be blown away by the animation but I didn't expect half of the tricks they pulled. I was constantly blown away every time they did an explosion or water or anything entirely with Lego bricks. Immediately after leaving the theatre my first thought was "I need to see this again", mostly because of the countless sight gags that I surely missed.

I found the lightning-fast pace to be a bit jarring at times and had trouble keeping up, and wondered if any of the kids in the audience would have been confused. It really does seem like this movie was made more for adults than kids, but all the kids in the theatre seemed to love it and were really excited by the end of it.

Too many great moments to list but off the top of my head, some of my favourite parts:
-After Wyldstyle and Emmet escape the city and Bad Cop kicks the trash can around for a bit. Especially when he kicks it into the air and it lands on one of the robots. The comedic timing was perfect.
-The very end with the sister was both adorable and hilarious. Wanna see that movie :3
-The live-action bits were a bit campy and overly-sentimental but it worked in the context of the movie. I got a little choked up during Emmet's speech to Lord Business.
-Every time any of the robots did ANYTHING. Their walk cracked me up.
-ALLIGATOR POLICE
-The entire sequence involving 80s spaceman trying to work with the computer. "Now searching Albanian restaurants."
-I was also blown away every time one of the Master Builders made something. The animation in this movie. Seriously.
-It took me a while to realize that Vitruvius' staff was just a chewed up lollipop on a stick.
-Abraham Lincoln and his space chair.

I was a pretty Lego-obsessed kid and this film was everything I wanted it to be. I'm still a little bit amazed at how they took such a silly concept and turned it into an actual, worthwhile movie.

animal math fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 11, 2014

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

animal math posted:

-ALLIGATOR POLICE

*ahem* Cop-O-Diles

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

FutonForensic posted:

This film is incredible, but I was utterly horrified by what was possibly the most explicit decapitation I've ever seen in a children's film. :ohdear:

:v:

The group I went with felt bad for laughing at all of the really dark moments while sitting in a theater full of children/families.

I'm still not sure what the intended reaction should be for the underwater scene where Unikitty is crying.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

animal math posted:

-After Wyldstyle and Emmet escape the city and Bad Cop kicks the trash can around for a bit. Especially when he kicks it into the air and it lands on one of the robots. The comedic timing was perfect.

Just gonna correct you there, since it's actually funnier, but it's a chair.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Captain Magic posted:

*ahem* Cop-O-Diles

I can't explain why, but these were the funniest/cutest things I've ever seen and I laughed for a long time at them.

I flippin' loved this movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Saw this last night, best thing I've seen in a long time. I can't wait to get the DVD and pour over all the details and see what they stuck in the background. Cloudy was a treasure trove of hidden background gags and they probably did even more with this one. Plus some of the animation gags were incredible.

A couple of gags had me in absolute stitches.
The horse cops going off the cliff, I expected them to do the warner brothers tumble into the abyss with a small poof, but after like a second of falling they just EXPLODE in a massive fireball

The part in the office tower where Batman goes "I left the cat behind to stall" and it cuts to Uni-kitty just going "MATH MATH NUMBERS NUMBERS NUMBERS is this working? YAAAAAAY!" I wasn't expecting the Unikitty character to keep going past her introduction, but she was magical

the continued purposeful mispronunciation of real world items like q-tips. I was really confused why they had real world items in the movie but they really pulled it together at the end

Bad Cop and the chair holy poo poo, every time.

As a Clone High fan I also appreciated that the robots sounded exactly like Butlertron

• Locked thread