Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

azflyboy posted:

At airports with closely spaced parallel runways, is there some kind of audible alarm that sounds if a departing airplane wanders into the departure path for another runway?

A few weeks ago at SEA, I heard a Southwest flight accidentally turn across the departure paths for the other runways (there were no departures off them, so there wasn't a collision risk), and while the tower controller was telling Southwest to turn the correct direction, it sounded like some kind of alarm was going off in the background that I don't recall ever hearing there.

There's a high pitched beeping that goes off when aircraft are predicted to be in conflict. It's a part of the STARS radar suite that ATC uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/florida-flight-delays-faa-issue/index.html

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ZMA ran out of CIDs and I wasn’t at work.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/florida-flight-delays-faa-issue/index.html

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ZMA ran out of CIDs and I wasn’t at work.

I've said this before, but remove being able to use the code for inputs and make the CID 4 digits. You shouldn't run out with the availability of letters but they have limits on what can be used for some reason that's probably really stupid but would crash the system otherwise.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Since NOTAMS is down at y'all have a bunch of spare time,

What kind of computing hardware runs the ATC system now? I imagine giant old DEC mainframes in the basement of every center, but surely it's newer than that?

I'm browsing the ATC modernization bills and it says a bunch of stuff about scopes and comms but nothing about base compute.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Since NOTAMS is down at y'all have a bunch of spare time,

What kind of computing hardware runs the ATC system now? I imagine giant old DEC mainframes in the basement of every center, but surely it's newer than that?

I'm browsing the ATC modernization bills and it says a bunch of stuff about scopes and comms but nothing about base compute.

HOST, the old system that was used at the ARTCC level was exactly as you describe, but has been replaced and removed nationwide. ERAM is the current center environment, and is a distributed system running on Xeon E3 1230s (IIRC) at the individual sector level.

I have no idea what STARS runs on (the current terminal radar hardware.)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

early 2000s Sun Workstations

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It was funny when the Canadians visited our center and were aghast at the systems we use.
Theoretically they're turning datacomm on in the next few weeks! Should make the mid even easier.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

There's a high pitched beeping that goes off when aircraft are predicted to be in conflict. It's a part of the STARS radar suite that ATC uses.
So lots of beeping during this?
https://twitter.com/thenewarea51/status/1614607688427601920

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I swear you can hear part of a tone when tower says “poo poo” on frequency here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsFIHKkN2oU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

loving hell :ohdear:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I've been learning about this stuff for work (surveying). Thank you for your work. :patriot:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
ZFW is gonna have 4 different areas with a total of 1 person in them for the evening. That could be fun.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lol sick hits and not enough eligible to cover with OT?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Lol sick hits and not enough eligible to cover with OT?

3 days of ice storm making the roads impassable.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The r/ATC thread on the Austin close call has some very interesting info:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ATC/commen...utm_name=iossmf

quote:

https://youtu.be/0WbHv_DS8WU

It sounds like the same guy involved with this

quote:

I feel like he maybe shouldn’t be controlling anymore …

quote:

He definitely shouldn’t. Should’ve seen the stuff he did at his last facility

He hard-shipped/eeo’d out of his last place to AUS.

Thoughts?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

The r/ATC thread on the Austin close call has some very interesting info:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ATC/commen...utm_name=iossmf

Thoughts?

I’m sure they’ll be an asset to the agency at their next facility.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Promote to TMU ahead of peers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SeaborneClink posted:

Promote to TMU ahead of peers

Like half the replies are a permutation of “ah, a new supervisor!”

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Like half the replies are a permutation of “ah, a new supervisor!”

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

Actually no.

ASDE-X would broadcast an alert in the tower cab. It's a voice alert and says what runway has an alert.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUiHaXVUYH0

What's that, you guys wanted another one?

The best part of all this is the ones that don't get the attention of anyone outside the agency. They were talking about something at KMIA in the reddit thread on this yesterday.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

They were talking about something at KMIA in the reddit thread on this yesterday.

The upshot of this one is that MIA just isn’t climbing FLL departures anymore because pointouts and handoffs are simply too hard for a level 12 departure control to handle. Instead, they’re leaving the Lauderdale departures level at ten thousand feet for twenty five or thirty miles, which absolutely positively doesn’t have any knock-on effects for anybody*.

*Anybody that Miami approach gives a flying gently caress about.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Curious what OT looks like in other facilities. Coming into spring, we have almost everyone on OT every week. Even those of us on the no list. Management is starting to send out sick leave abuse letters to people who consistently call in on their OT shifts.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

its all nice on rice posted:

Curious what OT looks like in other facilities. Coming into spring, we have almost everyone on OT every week. Even those of us on the no list. Management is starting to send out sick leave abuse letters to people who consistently call in on their OT shifts.

I’m sure this will help morale

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
All my managers have called in sick for more OT shifts than any controller has

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Our season is ~November-April, and I think I had a total of seven days off in November and December combined. I’m AWS, so I had a couple 60hr work weeks thrown in there too, where my 8hr OTs got extended (and in one case scheduled-as) to 10s.

Money’s good, but your brain stops working right after a couple weeks of that.

Coming into weather season, I’m getting an OT a pay period, or maybe a bit more than that.

Also, explaining to people that the no list doesn’t mean they can’t assign you overtime is always entertaining.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

My area isn't too bad. The area across from us is in much worse shape. There'll definitely be more OT as we get into thunderstorm/prime time leave season. Just the way it works these days.

The area I was a supervisor in at Denver was in pretty bad shape. So was the area I'd been a controller in there. They'd both been on pretty solid 6 day weeks since the start of the year last year. I'm pretty sure all the no's were well over 200 hours the year before too.

I'm not looking at people's leave usage unless specifically told to, but when you bang in on every single overtime your fellow controllers are going to constantly bring it up and then it gets attention and you'll get a talkin to. Calling in for every single overtime will get attention. I don't want them either but you gotta show up for some.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

quote:

Good morning,

Starting May 17th, the KSN site will be unable to record initials for pre-duty weather briefings. The airspace office has decided to record the initials on paper for the foreseeable future.

:okboomer:

How are we this bad at IT? We’ve been using KSN for like two weeks and it’s already going away.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

MrYenko posted:

:okboomer:

How are we this bad at IT? We’ve been using KSN for like two weeks and it’s already going away.

Federal IT in general is a disaster. I went from the FAA to the VA, and hoo boy were the computer systems bad there.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
I don’t know if anyone here talks to their counterparts in charge of the North Atlantic, but tell whoever was running Shanwick FIR Saturday night thanks for the 7666 squawk; it totally made my night since we were flying N666UA :rock:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Any of you losers at convention? I made it to the opening reception, but I’ve been tied up with real life stuff. I’ll be back in later, but I’ll come find goons if there are any.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Taps thread title...

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I was going to laugh at even more mandatory training and say that chronicly being understaffed an overworked probably have more to do with incidents than anything else. Then I read the comments to this and just :lol:
Yes, it's a lax dress code, too many young, "unqualified" controllers, and a lack of senior controllers that's the real issue

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/faa-mandates-monthly-refreshers-for-controllers/

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If only we had more managers to make sure everyone did their work on time!!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Strategic Tea posted:

If only we had more managers to make sure everyone did their work on time!!

You called?

:v:

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Yes, we need you to come in and do a brief 36 hour shift. The guy who should have been on at that time had to cancel at the last minute to go golfing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Not at work, but apparently there was a fire at Potomac TRACON and all those airports have been ground stopped for hours?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Did someone get transferred to Hawaii?

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012
Don't know if it's allowed but can anyone post a picture of their break room or describe it? We're planning on upgrading our break room but would love some ideas if by chance anyone thinks they have an outstanding one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

TheHouseofM posted:

Don't know if it's allowed but can anyone post a picture of their break room or describe it? We're planning on upgrading our break room but would love some ideas if by chance anyone thinks they have an outstanding one.

Ours is just a big rectangle with a couple of booths and a bunch of tables. There are three computers in little cubicle-like areas. We have a TV next to the table covered in medical insurance info from 2021.
We used to have three microwaves and two fridges. One of each broke. They've yet to replace them. TBF to the fridge, though, it's just a freezer that won't go above 20F now. The toaster oven has years of carbon build up and smokes within 2 minutes of being turned on.
The fridges and microwaves are the commercial ones from the restaurant that used to be leased out but has been vacant for years and recently gutted. It's chair storage now.