Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
What do y'all think of civilians who fly formation? Military?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

xaarman posted:

What do y'all think of civilians who fly formation? Military?

No problems with the military usually. Separation standards are a little higher between the formation and other aircraft but it's not a big deal. I almost never deal with flight splits or join-ups though, they're already a formation when I get them.

Sometimes the navy jet trainers here don't join up quickly on departure, and they'll delay their climbs and turns until they figure it out. If they're on an instrument flight plan, this causes us some distress if they drift into adjacent airspace or obstructions while they gently caress around trying to join up.

Civilian formation flights aren't common where I work. Issues with them are lack of pilot proficiency, and the trailing aircraft keeping their transponders on, causing nuisance collision alarms with the lead aircraft.

In standard formation flights, the lead aircraft is supposed to talk and use their transponder, the others should stay quiet and keep their transponders on standby or off.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
The only reason formation flights are any trouble at all is sometimes trying to get the phraseology from the aircraft that we need to hear before we can allow them to get close on IFR flight plans. Often times having them go VFR flight following solves all the paperwork problem management has with formations and still allows atc to give the information to pilots they need to make important decisions on their manuvers and formations.

Working with the military pilots themselves is fairly easy aslong as they declare MARSA (military assumes responsibility for seperation of aircraft) early. Once they do that its just a matter of turning other aircraft around them which is normal every day stuff. A little bit ago we had 10 F16's fly through that wanted to break up near the end of the sector. At that point you have quite a bit of coordination with the next sector but its nothing that can't be handled.

The military has put up some large areas of unusable space which in itself is fine. The problem here comes with explaining why pilots have to wait to climb/descend/turn or why their root looks like something out of a frogger machine.

Formations and military operations add variety to the day to day operation.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

We have a few flight schools in the area that like to do group cross countries. The majority of their students have only a basic grasp of English, and they like to pick up individual flight following, and then essentially fly formation.

:suicide:

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

MrYenko posted:

We have a few flight schools in the area that like to do group cross countries. The majority of their students have only a basic grasp of English, and they like to pick up individual flight following, and then essentially fly formation.

We have a flight school here that picked up IFR flight plans then tried to fly formation without telling us. I started assigning speeds and headings in order to keep them separated until they spoke up and mentioned what they wanted to do. They remain the only speeds I've ever given to a prop ever.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Group suppress yo. I've never seen non military formation flight request on an IFR flight plan. They sure as hell aren't gonna get that clearance from me either...

VFR flight following requesting a formation join up? Maintain VFR. So we're clear to join up? MAINTAIN VFR.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

MrYenko posted:

We have a few flight schools in the area that like to do group cross countries.

Been there, done that. Generally we would keep about 3 miles of spacing and only the lead guy would get flight following. Everyone else would monitor ATC and we would talk amongst ourselves on a company frequency. It wasn't an "official" formation but it kept everyone safe without pissing off ATC.

Of course, our system wasn't perfect:

http://www.kingmandailyminer.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&subsectionID=798&articleID=46128

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

Been there, done that. Generally we would keep about 3 miles of spacing and only the lead guy would get flight following. Everyone else would monitor ATC and we would talk amongst ourselves on a company frequency. It wasn't an "official" formation but it kept everyone safe without pissing off ATC.

Of course, our system wasn't perfect:

http://www.kingmandailyminer.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&subsectionID=798&articleID=46128

I wish they'd do that. Sadly...

In other news, summer is coming.

:black101:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

What if you guys had two planes that want to declare MARSA that aren't military? Are they allowed?

Say my friend and I want to do a rendezvous for a formation arrival, can we?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Civilian pilots are able to make a formation as long as they have previously agreed to the arrangement:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.111

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xaarman posted:

What if you guys had two planes that want to declare MARSA that aren't military? Are they allowed?

Say my friend and I want to do a rendezvous for a formation arrival, can we?

MARSA stands for Military Assumes Responsibilty for Separation of Aircraft.

So... No. :v:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah it definitely wouldn't be MARSA.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

I wish they'd do that. Sadly...

In other news, summer is coming.

:black101:

Hah! I flew right through that at about 1900L (in the back of a Spirit A320). Florida weather, not midwest weather.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

MrYenko posted:

MARSA stands for Military Assumes Responsibilty for Separation of Aircraft.

So... No. :v:

So... we can do identical procedures... we just can't call it MARSA... that seems dumb.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

xaarman posted:

So... we can do identical procedures... we just can't call it MARSA... that seems dumb.

Well you're not military, so I think it makes perfect sense. :shrug:

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

xaarman posted:

Not really. MARSA is specifically for IFR operations and requires specific letters of agreement between the controlling facility and the military unit that will be utilizing it. Additionally, as far as I know it's almost always conducted in special use airspace or ATCAA (air-traffic control assigned airspace), not just wherever someone wants to do it. As an example at my place, we have an ATCAA called guard dog that the Air Force uses when they fly a CAP (combat air patrol) over DC. They're usually VFR when they're up there but they occasionally go IFR and will then invoke MARSA when they conduct aerial refueling.

VFR operations are handled differently as was discussed. I'm not aware of any agreements allowing for civilian IFR formation flying withing the US, but someone please let me know if there's somewhere out there where it's being done.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

JohnClark posted:

Not really. MARSA is specifically for IFR operations and requires specific letters of agreement between the controlling facility and the military unit that will be utilizing it. Additionally, as far as I know it's almost always conducted in special use airspace or ATCAA (air-traffic control assigned airspace), not just wherever someone wants to do it. As an example at my place, we have an ATCAA called guard dog that the Air Force uses when they fly a CAP (combat air patrol) over DC. They're usually VFR when they're up there but they occasionally go IFR and will then invoke MARSA when they conduct aerial refueling.

VFR operations are handled differently as was discussed. I'm not aware of any agreements allowing for civilian IFR formation flying withing the US, but someone please let me know if there's somewhere out there where it's being done.

I don't think that's true. We've declared MARSA at random points across the US with controlling agencies nowhere near our home station. Per USAF regs, all we need are radar/radio contact, positive ID and altitude separation.

So as I'm understanding it (FK can correct me...) ATC will absolutely not allow two civilian aircraft to merge as a formation on an IFR flight plan, even if they want (and are able) to, they will have to cancel IFR to do it?

xaarman fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 19, 2014

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

xaarman posted:

I don't think that's true. We've declared MARSA at random points across the US with controlling agencies nowhere near our home station. Per USAF regs, all we need are radar/radio contact, positive ID and altitude separation.

I can dig that, I don't work in the enroute environment so that's not something I'd experience day to day.

quote:

So as I'm understanding it (FK can correct me...) ATC will absolutely not allow two civilian aircraft to merge as a formation on an IFR flight plan, even if they want (and are able) to, they will have to cancel IFR to do it?
Absolutely not? I'm not sure I'd go that far. But barring some manner of coordination ahead of time, if two IFR pilots told me they wanted to fly in formation IFR, one would need to get the other in sight and provide visual separation. However, that only works within my facility, our LOAs with Washington, Cleveland, and New York centers don't allow us to transfer aircraft to them who are maintaining visual separation, so there's no way I could give them two IFR aircraft in formation with one another.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

xaarman posted:

quote:

FAA Joint Order 7110.65:

2−1−11. USE OF MARSA

a. MARSA may only be applied to military
operations specified in a letter of agreement or other
appropriate FAA or military document.

NOTE−
Application of MARSA is a military command prerogative.
It will not be invoked indiscriminately by individual units
or pilots. It will be used only for IFR operations requiring
its use. Commands authorizing MARSA will ensure that its
implementation and terms of use are documented and
coordinated with the control agency having jurisdiction
over the area in which the operations are conducted. Terms
of use will assign responsibility and provide for separation
among participating aircraft.

Sure seems like there should be some prior coordination with the ATC facility having jurisdiction. I wouldn't know what to do if two random navy trainers I was working suddenly said "I declare MARSA." We have no procedures in place for setting up MARSA.

However:

quote:

b. ATC facilities do not invoke or deny MARSA.
Their sole responsibility concerning the use of
MARSA is to provide separation between military
aircraft engaged in MARSA operations and other
nonparticipating IFR aircraft.

So we don't invoke or deny MARSA.... But I believe this still comes under subpara a. which says agreements should be in place first. For example, when Navy Jet Trainers are departing my airport, headed for their military operations area (located in adjacent Navy Approach Control airspace) sometimes they'll ask to go MARSA before I switch them over to the Navy approach guys. They're literally seconds away from the airspace boundary so I just tell them to standby and send them over to the Navy Approach Controller, who I'm assuming knows a lot more about how to set them up for MARSA than I do. I think pilots that ask us for this are jumping the gun, I'm sure the agreements exist between their squardrons and the navy approach control authority adjacent to us, and some individual pilots think they can get a head start on thing by asking our civilian controllers for MARSA so they can do it 30 seconds earlier.

quote:

I don't think there's anything prohibiting ATC from allowing a civilian IFR flight. Flights are controlled as a single entity, with extra separation standards. We treat a flight like it's one aircraft, and just give them a little extra room. It wouldn't be MARSA, but references to formation flights in our book don't specifically reference military aircraft.

quote:

FAA Joint Order 7110.65:

2−1−13. FORMATION FLIGHTS

a. Control formation flights as a single aircraft.
When individual control is requested, issue advisory
information which will assist the pilots in attaining
separation. When pilot reports indicate separation has
been established, issue control instructions as
required.

NOTE−
2. Formation join-up and breakaway will be conducted in
VFR weather conditions unless prior authorization has
been obtained from ATC or individual control has been
approved.

b. Military and civil formation flights in RVSM
airspace.

The last sub paragraph says it all. Military AND Civil formation flights in RVSM airspace. Reduced Vertical Separation Minima airspace (RVSM) exists between 29,000 and 41,000ft (FL290-FL410) and only IFR aircraft would be operating there, by regulation. Therefore, our book seems to allow handling of instrument, civil, formation flights, no problem.

It would stand out to me, to see a formation flight filed with a civilian registry callsign, but the handling wouldn't change from how I handle military formation flights already. The flight plan information would show two aircraft for the aircraft type (ex: Instead of C172/G for a Cessna 172 with GPS, it would show 2/C172/G for a flight of two Cessna 172s).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I seem to remember from academyland that if the aircraft are of unlike types, you file them as 2/c172/g, and then put "2nd A/C is C206" in the remarks.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The only time I generally deal with MARSA is on the one aerial refueling route that has a start/end point in my airspace. I'm sure we have LOA's with the units that are the main users, but there are quite a few. As far as I'm concerned, random tanker comes on with an AR request, declares MARSA with whoever his receivers are going to be, and then I can give the clearance provided they're all in my airspace or I have control with others to do so. Whether or not we have an LOA with that unit or whatever never enters my mind. They ask for MARSA, they get it.

I've done a few random aerial refueling requests as well. The only real coordination is getting the block approved and letting the next sector know who is in the group and when they plan on breaking up if you know that.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fknlo posted:

Whether or not we have an LOA with that unit or whatever never enters my mind. They ask for MARSA, they get it.

Sounds like you probably do actually have the letters of agreement though, right?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Had a fighter come out of the top of his restricted airspace (SFC-070 at the time,) and pass within about a mile of IFR traffic, going nearly straight up. First hit was 065, next was 092, traffic was at 100, R side called it, next hit was at 127.

I tried really hard not to be a dick to the range officer, but what the gently caress, guys.

simble
May 11, 2004

When you say next hit do you mean radar sweep? Which is how long?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

simble posted:

When you say next hit do you mean radar sweep? Which is how long?

He does. For Centers it's about 12 seconds, for Approaches it's about 5 seconds.

My facility works in a hybrid predictive mode called "FUSION" which updates the target's position every second, but since the altitude information comes from the transponder we still get that only ever 5 seconds when our antenna rotates back around and pings it again.

For rapidly climbing, or descending aircraft (like Yenko's fighters) we'll often get "XXX" in the altitude readout for a few sweeps until the radar can get a reliable response from its transponder. So you'll see a climbing aircraft show (in hundreds of feet) 050, 060, XXX, XXX, 100, 125, XXX etc.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 19, 2014

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

The Ferret King posted:

Sure seems like there should be some prior coordination with the ATC facility having jurisdiction. I wouldn't know what to do if two random navy trainers I was working suddenly said "I declare MARSA."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuGIgf-ICHM

This is the first thing I thought of and I heard it exactly in this voice.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Random AR is a perfect example of AR on the fly (or the tanker starting on the AR route but then dragging you somewhere.)

Next question,

How are FAA JOs set up? For example 7110.65 concerns X, 7110.70 concerns Y, etc? The closest example I can give is:

11-217: Instrument/Visual Flight Procedures
11-202v3: AF Flight Procedures
11-2MDS-1v3: Plane specific Procedures
3-1: How to do X,

Each document getting more and more smaller picture.

Thank you all : - )

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
There's an order for that too: http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/0000.1G.pdf

Use Caution: It's boring.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Sounds like you probably do actually have the letters of agreement though, right?

Probably? We have a lot of LOA's with military units that something like 3 people have actually read.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well, I know that there is probably a huge different between an entire Center's worth of LOAs and my terminal facility experience. But I probably would have been one of those three guys. I'm the "book guy" at work because I can't work airplanes worth a poo poo you know.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

The Ferret King posted:

Well, I know that there is probably a huge different between an entire Center's worth of LOAs and my terminal facility experience. But I probably would have been one of those three guys. I'm the "book guy" at work because I can't work airplanes worth a poo poo you know.

*puts headset on .65*

"Trainee, can that .65 work traffic?"

"..."

!

It's great knowing the books back and forth so you know absolutely what crap can be absolutely ignored.

The Ferret King posted:

Sure seems like there should be some prior coordination with the ATC facility having jurisdiction. I wouldn't know what to do if two random navy trainers I was working suddenly said "I declare MARSA." We have no procedures in place for setting up MARSA.

Depending on where you are at, you could go forever never seeing this, or see it daily. It's common enough for the whole "do not invoke or deny MARSA" bit. It's easy to deal with once you have seen it.

edit: I just realized I haven't seen the situation you described in about a year now. Considering the amount of military traffic I deal with, that is surprising. Makes me wonder if procedures in house for some of our military bases we work have changed some of their in house procedures.

holy poo poo i love saying redundant things today and being redundant

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 20, 2014

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

MrYenko posted:

Had a fighter come out of the top of his restricted airspace (SFC-070 at the time,) and pass within about a mile of IFR traffic, going nearly straight up. First hit was 065, next was 092, traffic was at 100, R side called it, next hit was at 127.

I tried really hard not to be a dick to the range officer, but what the gently caress, guys.

When you say the R-side "called it", does this consist of saying "holy poo poo, what the gently caress"/"guys I think we have a problem", or hailing the aircraft over the radio, or something else?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

E4C85D38 posted:

When you say the R-side "called it", does this consist of saying "holy poo poo, what the gently caress"/"guys I think we have a problem", or hailing the aircraft over the radio, or something else?

Sorry, the R side called the traffic to our IFR aircraft.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

You're never quizzed on anything that isn't a facility LOA here. At least my area isn't. Some areas with a more active military presence might get stuff like that, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

fknlo posted:

You're never quizzed on anything that isn't a facility LOA here. At least my area isn't. Some areas with a more active military presence might get stuff like that, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it.

That is how it is here where I am at too. Only questions ever asked are pretty much LOA specific. Well, that and maps. The only time .65 stuff is whipped out is when we have to do approach control crap.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
I've found 4 steps to success with military procedures,

1) approve whatever it is they ask for "Callsign, approved as requested"
2) make airplanes miss whatever mess the military is causing "Callsign turn 15 degrees left vectors for traffic/airspace/punishment vectors/confidence maneuver"
3) ???? (top secret atc jargin)
4) laugh at the next sector as you tell them what you've approved and they are to scared to modify.

These 4 steps also work for jumpers, weather requests, spinning cessnas, selling (he whos name shall not be mentioned) directly destination

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Did a tower tour today for the first time which was fun. Amazed they were able to cycle like 200 pilots through the tour, but what I really learned is I need to fly in there with "information Giraffe" now.

Towers usually start off on the same letter for the ATIS so I am likely to see G around the same time of day assuming nothing breaks the once-an-hour update cycle, right?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yes and no. It's updated every hour, so if it's only updated once an hour in theory it should be the same. However, that's assuming a 24 hour tower, I dunno what part time ones do in that regard. Also, it can often times be updated way more frequently than every hour, in practice - changing winds, ceilings, etc. So I don't think you can predict it so easily.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Part time towers generate the new ATIS the next morning and use the letter after the one used before closing the night before. It's a rolling system.

Unless the closure is longer than 12 hours. Then they start over at Alpha the next day. Also facilities will skip letters when they end up matching with adjacent facilities, just to prevent any possibility of confusion.

EDIT for layman clarification. The ATIS is the Automated Terminal Information Service broadcast. It's a looped recording on a designated frequency at towered airports and provides weather, approach, runway, and airport information. It's recorded at least once every hour and each recording is assigned a single letter designation. ATC must ensure pilots have certain information before allowing them to depart or land. If the pilot states they have the most current ATIS letter code, ATC may omit information contained in the ATIS broadcast. This allows flight crews to obtain the information on their own and prevents ATC from having to issue basic information to every single airplane on frequency. Ex:

"Approach, Southwest 530 level 5000 ft information Alpha"

Assuming information Alpha is the current ATIS broadcast for Southwest 530's departure/destination airport, the controller need not verbally inform them of the weather, approach, or airport conditions contained within that ATIS recording.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Personally I enjoy calling up approach/tower whenever the ATIS is whiskey.

:v: "Cessna 3SP, info for OGDEN is whiskey, you picked it up yet?"
:hehe: "yeah we got whiskey :c00l:"

In other news has anyone heard anymore about off-the-street hiring?