Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They're tower. Didn't get a lot of info, but they were asked to take it for "informational purposes" or some such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

kmcormick9 posted:

There's light at the end of the tunnel.
https://youtu.be/QPE8hspaI1k
This guy just started here.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Two souls onboard!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I just hope I can apply on the latest bid; I'm turning 30 in January and time is running out.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Blackchamber posted:

Anything can happen, but when I was 30 they told me that they figured by the time the process got to TOL I'd be too old and they weren't going to bother. Good luck though!

This frightens me a bit :ohdear:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Any other word on that hiring announcement? I know there's no guarantee for off the street, but just wondering. I've been checking USA jobs with the usual search terms and haven't seen anything.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

two_beer_bishes posted:

Looks like the announcement will open up on Aug 8

source

Group is viewable to members only. I applied to join, what having gone to a CTI school and all, though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Holy poo poo no Bio-Q?! Looks like I'm calling my school for some recommendations!

E: Only 1,400 openings though? I thought the hiring "crisis" had them needing more than that, or can they only accept so many at a time?

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 2, 2016

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Getting all my ducks in a row for applying. So what's the secret ATC goon handshake for getting in? Please don't tell me it involves stairs.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Just applied. Stressing out a bit. Did they post a time line for when they'll contact people that made it?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

two_beer_bishes posted:

Lol this must be your first time applying. They notify you when they get around to it and not a moment earlier. This application process is the most infuriating thing to ever willingly endure.

First time outside of the bio-assessment. I know it took them like 6 weeks or something ridiculous to "grade" the bio last time.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Huh, I've worked with (not for) the government before and they were pretty quick to hire folks and very things done. That was the DOD, though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I thought it was kind of funny how serious my professor for flight dispatch was in college. He made it sound like the most serious thing in the world. One gently caress up and you're done in the industry. The FAA is constantly looking for errors, so you better be on your A-game constantly!!!! Mess up that plane's W&B by 2%? SACKED. Fail to take weather into account? SACKED.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I just realized I might have to fall back on dispatch if I don't make it through on ATC. :smith:

Don't worry. I actually try when I do things! I won't route people into storms!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
!! Made it through to the testing phase!! I know there's still more to go through before a chance at an offer, but it's one step closer than the last two times!
Other than the practice tests they list on PSI, what are some good study guides out there there? Are any worth paying for?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Wilsonville, OR is the nearest facility. I've got just over two weeks to prepare.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My test is tomorrow, and I've been following feedback on the test (via stuckmic). All I've seen is people complaining about how hard the test is, and saying that they're pretty sure they failed and it was terrible. The general response is "Well, yeah, it's supposed to be hard. It's a stressful job, and the AT-SAT was a joke."
I talked to a cousin who's a controller and was part of a testing group for the new bio-q and A-TSA. Her opinion was that it feels "built to fail." "It's not about getting the answers right, so much as not crumbling when you do get some wrong."
It would appear that my best bet is to try to stay focused and not get all worked up when I mess something up. It's the waiting that's going to get my all angsty.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Just got back, and while it was difficult, it wasn't anything along the the lines people had built it up to be. There were parts I feel I did well on, and parts where I didn't do so well.
What is going to make me angsty is the (up to) 90 day wait.
A shot sounds like a good idea. Maybe once I get home from work doing laundry.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Spacewolf posted:

Eventually they're going to run out of colors to refer to the contract by.

Don't worry, your local hardware store has loads of color names for them to reference! In 10 years, it'll be the "Seabreeze Mist" book.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It was the same when I was an embedded contractor with the DOD. A bunch of people complaining about democrats and Obama but happily soaking up the guaranteed pay increases and good benefits.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I interned at ZSE FDC, and the lovely part was that it's in Auburn.
Never turn down donut star if someone is going on a run, though. Best doughnuts. Period.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I think I may have made it through the A-TSA(?)
USA jobs says my status is referred, but the FAA site lists two possible referral lists: 100082 and 100085. The former "may or may not be contacted for an interview" , while for the latter "your application was not included at this time." Not sure if my status being referred means I'm part of that first list or not. Either way, I guess I'm one step closer.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That's it, yeah.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That's what it appears. Super stoked. A week before my birthday, too!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The ladyfriend and I are freaking out a bit that I've made it this far, but there's still a chance I don't make it. My only worry is my age (30 in a week). My mom seems to think that applying and making it to the A-TSA means I'm automatically in and she should call every relative in her phonebook.
Stuckmic (as -eh- as it is) is saying 2-4 weeks before any update beyond "Referred".

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

two_beer_bishes posted:

It was exciting every time I got to the next step, but since I applied so many times, we knew that it was still a long shot and a long wait. I got in during last year's bid and I went right from taking the ATSAT to getting the tentative offer letter (which still took 2 months, none of this referral stuff) and then doing all the paperwork after getting the TOL. ATSAT to the academy was just over 4 months and I was in the first few classes from the bid, I know people from my bid that just got to the academy last month. Good luck to you in the painful and infuriating process.

They're keeping everything so in the dark that I'm wondering what the next step will be. As was mentioned before, "referred" used to be piss/psych then TOL, but with things changing all the time, who even knows?
I'm just hoping I get an email in two months saying "go pee in a cup."

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I wonder what Senior Trump's federal hiring freeze will do with the current bid. One could technically argue that ATC is part of public safety, but who even knows?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Apparently 5 pt vets are getting TOLs, so I guess the machine is still churning.
Someone on SM said "rumor has it that CTI grads will go straight to facility, instead of the academy, because they already have some training." But I almost find that laughable. Has anything like that even happened in the past.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I should stop reading SM because it's not a very good forum. There's some good information on there, but the hiring forum is 80% rumors, 10% the same questions over and over, and 10% people saying "ugh just wait. I did."

On a different note- with the cutoff age being 31, do you have to be in OKC (or your facility for those pipelined) by your birthday? Or do you need a firm offer of employment with a start date or just a TOL?

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 11, 2017

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Excellent, thank you. Definitely eases my mind in that department.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yeah, it feels like a giant echo chamber. It was pretty ridiculous after the FAA announced the hiring changes and Bio-Q. "There's going to a be a lawsuit on behalf of CTI students/schools! We're going to take them to court!"
Come to think of it, I've gotten more reliable information here or directly from the head of the ATC program from my school.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
:siren: got my TOL today! Now I have to get an official transcript and fill out all these forms within 5 days. It's like I'm applying for a secret security clearance all over again.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Thanks! TOL is for enroute. Lord only knows where I'll end up. Definitely chose not to bypass the AT-Basic. It'll be worth the extra five weeks.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Man, that MMPI-2 sure is... a thing. I understand that it was developed to identify mental issues within an individual, but man. At least I can rest easy knowing that I'm not obsessed with fire, there are no voices in my head, and I would rather pet animals than hurt them.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Well I feel dumb- in all my excitement, I put the wrong date in the email to medical for when I received my CIL.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Tommy 2.0 posted:

lol good luck with that

also lol at conservative controllers. That's akin to being an anarchist or accelerationist.

I came across a few while interning at ZSE. I wasn't totally surprised, since I'd worked with retired military and civil service employees in the DOD for six years. So many conservatives.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's a loong ways away (still waiting on medical to call me after two months) but it sounds like they give you a few options on completing the academy or say "too bad, you're going here."
Wonder what I might end up with. Hopefully I'm given a choice.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The rats are actually your new coworkers. They're just on break and getting the lay of the building down.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Managers are all about talking about innovation. I was lucky enough to overhear a program manager go on a five minute tirade, during a phone-con, about how the teams weren't innovating or integrating.
"You have to innovate! Being innovative is key to the success of this project! And you have to integrate as well as innovate!! "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
In flight school I misheard, and improperly read back, a runway assignment for landing (on my first solo flight nonetheless). Tower was not happy with me when I was on final for right instead of left.