Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Looks like my training will be delayed a whole year by the time I get back into the classroom. Due to the 5/5, they are not allowing an article 5 for sims. There is a new training order is being worked on. There is a classroom of D-side trainees that are waiting for the labs, so they'll get first crack at it. The lab will only run at 50% capacity due to social distancing. All this boils down to a class planned for January starting some time in April.
Talking with an OKC classmate (who just certified in ABQ) and trainees here that have been talking to former classmates of theirs, some other facilities seem to have figured out how to continue and complete training.
I know the people working in the training area are doing what they can with what they have. It doesn't make this situation any less frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

fknlo posted:

The union sent out an email last night saying they're looking into getting us pushed up. Definitely a good thing to wait to do.

Also, today is my last day as a controller :ohdear:

You took a supe position to get out of there, right? Good luck to you! :patriot:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Reztes posted:

Stemming from a conversation with another instrument instructor, if I call center or tracon to pick up an IFR clearance airborne, is ATC creating, filing and activating an IFR flight plan for me? If so, is it functionally any different from a flight plan I would file myself on the ground if I did that instead of requesting the clearance airborne?

Coming from a center trainee: if you have a FP on file and we can find it in our system, we're going to use that. If you don't , we're typing it in. It's not a huge deal, but if we're busy it's easier to depart your FP, give you the code, and track you up on the scope. Filing a FP makes everyone's life easier IMO, regardless of whether or not you plan on actually picking it up. Less radio back and forth, and a lower chance of messing up FP info.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 1, 2021

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I remember going to flight school in Daytona Beach (no, I was too poor for Embry Riddle) and the entire airport shutting down for the Daytona 500 because of the TFR.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Got a piece of paper yesterday saying I'm an essential person who's eligible for the vaccine. I've already gotten my first dose with the second already scheduled. LOL

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A plane with tail number N4204U.
Mocking us and the things we cannot enjoy.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
poo poo, that's further than the people who go direct in our facility take it.
There's one that says he'll move 60 planes out of the way for a medevac and thinks he's God's gift to ATC. Too bad he doesn't understand S46 will just bitch at us for sending a plane straight into the departure stream and they still have to sequence them, more often than not adding a delay.
When you call a sector and he's working it, his response is "God, what?! Approved!" before you even say anything.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 26, 2021

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It was funny when the Canadians visited our center and were aghast at the systems we use.
Theoretically they're turning datacomm on in the next few weeks! Should make the mid even easier.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Curious what OT looks like in other facilities. Coming into spring, we have almost everyone on OT every week. Even those of us on the no list. Management is starting to send out sick leave abuse letters to people who consistently call in on their OT shifts.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I was going to laugh at even more mandatory training and say that chronicly being understaffed an overworked probably have more to do with incidents than anything else. Then I read the comments to this and just :lol:
Yes, it's a lax dress code, too many young, "unqualified" controllers, and a lack of senior controllers that's the real issue

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/faa-mandates-monthly-refreshers-for-controllers/

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

TheHouseofM posted:

Don't know if it's allowed but can anyone post a picture of their break room or describe it? We're planning on upgrading our break room but would love some ideas if by chance anyone thinks they have an outstanding one.

Ours is just a big rectangle with a couple of booths and a bunch of tables. There are three computers in little cubicle-like areas. We have a TV next to the table covered in medical insurance info from 2021.
We used to have three microwaves and two fridges. One of each broke. They've yet to replace them. TBF to the fridge, though, it's just a freezer that won't go above 20F now. The toaster oven has years of carbon build up and smokes within 2 minutes of being turned on.
The fridges and microwaves are the commercial ones from the restaurant that used to be leased out but has been vacant for years and recently gutted. It's chair storage now.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Some people browse their phones. Others bring laptops or tablets. I've seen a few folks reading from time to time.
You usually know who's been in there recently based on what channel the TV is on.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Speaking of poop: apparently there have been multiple instances in the main men's room (and one in the women's) of poop being smeared on the walls. They've posted notices on every bathroom door in the building about hygiene and how our custodial staff work their asses off to clean this place. I guess it isn't a case of "really had to go and exploded before they sat down."

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The eclipse that hit the PNW about 6ish? Years back was right before I got to ZSE. Not sad I missed it. D-side and tracker everywhere (if they had the staffing lol.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Just got our union email about the meeting they had. Admin sounds out of his gourd. Things gonna get spicy