Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pope Mobile posted:

Getting antsy; less than a week until the OTS hiring announcement.

When is it happening? Next Monday?

Also, a question I'm hoping someone might be able to answer-what do you think are the chances for a recently-naturalized citizen to get in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wahey, I'm not alone!

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Mine switched to "reviewed" status. Gotta click "more information" to see what they say.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'd really love to get my hands on the numbers for the BioQ and how it's scored/what the pass/fail conditions are. Not even the right answers, just the actual procedure.

And hell yeah, here's hoping they have an utterly dismal applicant run this time so poo poo pops back up soon.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There were a few really goddamn ridiculous ones like "What do you think of new technology" good/scary/evil/relied on too much

Also poo poo like what do you dislike most? hard work/having to be on time/having to work with others/repetitive tasks

E: Would you rather finish projects on time or take too long but get it just right.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 10, 2015

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Boola posted:

Ya, the questions were mostly ridiculous but easy to assess what they wanted. I thought so anyway. I felt I answered it as best as humanly possible as well as making my resume suited for the position, writing a cover letter, and anything else I could do as well as having a degree and plenty of experience that's all very application to the profession. Still denied.

Seems like the only people getting through went to CTI schools and/or have aviation experience*.

*and even most of them didn't get through

I thought so too, but obviously it's not at all what either of us thought :v: (the first pass/fail is JUST the BQ, no one's even seen your resume/cover letter.)

Pope Mobile posted:

Guess it's time to look for a new career if their 18 month plan holds.

The figures I'm seeing so far* (16% pass rate out of 16,700, combined with a decently high washout rate) seem to indicate that they fell well short of what they were hoping to get.

*In posts on other ATC boards, so take em with a grain of salt.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 11, 2015

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Boola posted:

I'm thinking there was literally no way to pass the BQ unless you have direct military/aviation/CTI experience. That or they just picked people at random.

And I know they didn't see my resume. I just figured I'd just make sure everything was in place for what I could control in the small chance I got beyond the BQ.

There's been a few Navy/AF controllers failing the BQ as well, so it's not even that.

Basically, what a bunch of people said above:

MrYenko posted:

gently caress the BioQ.

MrYenko posted:

gently caress the BioQ.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Reztes posted:

That's why I mentioned that question about being late, sure seemed like a trap for people trying to look perfect instead of being honest about how they behave. I think the problem most people had was with the multiple questions of the type Natural Selection mentioned, where it was picking the best/worst among several desirable options, like there's some hierarchy of skills or behaviors and it's clearly not very obvious what the FAA thinks is the most important of those attributes.

Unless this is one of those things where 10 years from now we find out the BioQ is horribly flawed and FAA has hired cohorts of pure sociopaths or compulsive liars or something.

Oh yeah, that question had the most obvious answer. If you're not perfect, gtfo :colbert:

I'll let people that actually do this poo poo for a living weigh in on the quality of candidates that the BQ passes through, but there's a reason it's not popular with actual working controllers, and not just us rejects.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The former Military/FAA controller exclusion is what kills me. How the gently caress do you create a test for a position that people that already hold this position can't pass. :psyduck:

I worked as a recruiter for close to 7 years, and this just reinforces my opinion that any kind of in-house hiring systems/HR staff are literally the most incompetent people to walk the earth.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 11, 2015

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jealous Cow posted:

Question: was this test given to existing employees or new applications in the past and then not used for selection purposes? If not and they out it straight into use without a parallel trial I'd be concerned.

Reminder that, per Ferret King above, actual former controllers don't pass the bioq, as well as reports of quite a few former military controllers failing it. Not calling it bunk because a couple goons failed it, calling it bunk because actual controllers can't pass it.

Spacewolf posted:

So basically, what we're seeing is that the FAA can't even hire people competently? :drat:

Are you actually surprised, especially after the clusterfuck that was the actual job posting/description?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That is just so far beyond brilliant I have no words.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SeaborneClink posted:

That was a Northwest Airlink flight, also I don't think beverages had any causal effect on that flight, just some thermodynamics and stiction :shrug:

SPOILERS AHEAD: I'm like 99% sure that was a joke.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hauldren Collider posted:

If they aren't required to talk to anyone it seems a little unreasonable to me to place the burden of not getting hit by a fighter jet on the pilot of a little Cessna 150.

Not required != best practice. If you're in an area where there's military training flights or just lots of controlled traffic, you loving well talk to ATC to make sure you're not about to get creamed by someone who is, in fact, on a declared/controlled flight path. Unless you're a super-pilot who's got 100% SA and enough reaction speed to juke a 150 out of the way of a fast mover. No one is

Whole point is moot though, since it seems like the Cessna pilot was talking to ATC anyways.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Ferret King posted:

The article on the previous page said that the Cessna was in communication with the county airport. That is, the airport from which it departed. I think they're saying that the pilot wasn't talking to ATC but rather was still on the common traffic advisory frequency for the county airport (not CHS). Unless I'm mistaken or you have different information from another article.

.... :downs: No, that's what I meant. Misinterpreted from memory.