Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

fknlo posted:

You're never quizzed on anything that isn't a facility LOA here. At least my area isn't. Some areas with a more active military presence might get stuff like that, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it.

That is how it is here where I am at too. Only questions ever asked are pretty much LOA specific. Well, that and maps. The only time .65 stuff is whipped out is when we have to do approach control crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I'm an rear end. All of our letters with terminal facilities define the arrival and departure gates as Arrival Transition Areas, and Departure Transition Areas. I didn't realize it wasn't a common term. :v:

Before I went center I thought it was a common term. You aren't an rear end.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

JohnClark posted:

I'm so addicted to leaving PCT I've got an RSS feed from usajobs ;)

But believe it or not I have a release date to ORD tower, December 14th is my last day at Potomac! I bid on an FLM job at MSN as well, we'll see how that goes.

I hope you love doing ground.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

JohnClark posted:

Never done tower, but I can't wait to learn. I got to visit ORD a couple years ago and it was amazing, if intimidating for a radar-only guy like me.

Busy place like ORD you aren't going to get the tower experience you might be expecting. Places like that, if ORD's volume is similar to ATL/JFK, normally have people wash out in ground control. Not local. That is the complete opposite of most towers where normally most of the real complexity comes from the local control position.

Sadly, as a radar guy, you might not truly appreciate the complexity going on at a place like ORD since the real poo poo kicking happens at ground control, whereas a place that has busy local traffic a radar guy can walk upstairs and immediately see shenanigans and appreciate it.

Then again, a place like ORD might have an ASDE. Ground radar. Neat tool, never used it though.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

So Tommy 2.0, how are you enjoying Masters week? :supaburn:

The Masters golf tournament is taking place in Augusta, GA. Augusta approach control is located right below the airspace I work in Atlanta Center, and part of Jacksonville Center. For this one week every April, the traffic going into AGS and satellite airports becomes crazy busy. Numerous routings and altitude restrictions have to be put into place to make the traffic flow manageable. Sometimes there are so many that they run out of parking at the terminal, and we have to hold them in our airspace, which I was doing on Thursday. At least I'm on Sat/Sun days off now.

Masters is nothing compared to Sun n Fun for us. And yes, we work the low stuff for them both. The biggest difference between Masters/Sun n' Fun for us is the sheer volume of VF-Tards we have to deal with. These guys fly once in a blue moon just for this one event and have zero clue what they are doing. Masters is pretty well structured now, imo, and it just gets treated as another busy approach control we have to feed (like CLT landers). AGS approach is sort of humorous to us, because at even 6am in the morning they won't let ANYONE fly through their airspace, even at 120. I had to sell a ketchup popsicle to a lady in white gloves to get them to take a VFR. :P

Last year was a hoot. Sun n' Fun was the same week as Masters. :negative:

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 13, 2014

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Guy in my OKC class was going to KPNS. I squeaked a E and an I in the appropriate places. Every time our instructor would call on him he would see his name tag and chuckle. It wasn't until the last day did he find out why when he grabbed his name tag and saw it.

The Slaughter posted:

I don't understand how you can not want to shoot yourself in the head while being in an underground building 8 hours a day in a dark room staring at a computer screen doing a stressful job.

Some people like it. I was raised in a tower first so I hate it. I miss actually seeing the cool stuff and sunlight.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

When you certify at a Tower/TRACON facility you also realize in short order that all of your time will be spent working in the dark, while trainees get the tower time.

I spend about 90% of my time down, vs. up.

That is why you try to get a trainee.

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

Masters IS a lot better than it used to be, years ago. When it does blow up, it's usually because of the VFRs and the lack of parking space at the airport. As for the overflights, I was working Augusta sector on Thursday, Allendale handled me off a guy at 80 landing AVL (Ashville, NC) that would have gone right through the middle of AGS Appch. I checked but they were already not accepting handoffs on overflights, so I called Allendale to tell them he either needed to go over ALD and go east, or over DBN (Dublin, GA) and go west around it. The pilot opted to go over DBN, but then later after I handed him off to Macon Approach I saw him squawk VFR and head direct.

Yeah it is SIGNIFICANTLY better than even last year. I heard years ago it was a huge cluster. Not surprising. I don't know how it is on ATL's side, but it is structured on the ZJX side pretty well these days. Yeah, noticably increased volume/complexity but the pilots know what's up. The only problem really is dealing with AGS approach, since they aren't as proficient at volume/complexity that the masters provides for them once a year. Yeah, we do get VF-tards for masters, but nowhere NEAR to the level we get them for sun'n'fun. Oh, if you talked to ALD last night you may have talked to me. Not about that guy landing AVL though. I know better.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 14, 2014

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Iucounu posted:

Not worth it, I'll take my dark cave anytime

I don't think I'll be volunteering to train en-route any time soon, so I hear you. And in all fairness, the FAA doesn't even train it seems. They just mostly monitor and write up what you did bad/good at the end of the day. It seems to be rare in this agency for someone to actually train their trainee, as opposed to plugging in and hoping to monitor.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Oh I have one. He's just about done with radar.

I know I have been more proud, felt more accomplished, with a trainee getting checked out than the actual trainee. Good feeling man.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

Nope, I'm off Sat/Sun (took me 17 years to get it! :argh: ) So on Monday, i usually work a 1500 shift (3-11pm), Tuesday a 1300 (1-9pm), Wed a 0800 (8am-4pm), Thursday a 0545 (5:45am-1:45pm), then finally a Friday Mid shift 2230 (10:30pm-6:30am). I like working mids.

I thought about doing something like, "Allendale, Augusta 06, Bulldog's going active, do you have stairs in your house?" but decided not to. :raise:

You should. Either its not me and they go "say again" or I'm there and "roger, and yes I am protected".

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

We have one controller who takes forever with her relief briefings and stops giving any clearances once she starts it. So you'll be sitting there watching everything go to poo poo while she's explaining why she had to level this plane for some other traffic that's not traffic anymore. And you just wish she was one of those people that say "you got it" and unplug.

Do I work with you? We have the same person I swear.

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah, I think the completeness of relief briefings at a given facility directly correlates with how recently that facility has been chastised from above about having bad briefing compliance. Ours does an ok job. Of course I do them perfectly every time.

Of course! We all do!

Bob A Feet posted:

How long does it usually take you guys to shift change? I swear no poo poo I'll get called, reply, and on the next call to the next person its a completely different guy. I'm pretty impressed with how seemless it is.

Ferret went over it in aspergers err detail but yeah. It CAN be that quick/seamless even if done correctly and by the checklist. I've noticed where I am at EVERYONE goes by their checklist. Not everyone sticks around a bit after though. If it's dead I'll take a quick glance and go. If it's moderate/busy I'll hang back a sec until I'm sure they have it.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 15, 2014

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I'll do a legend when I get home in a bit. I wanted to get the cheap joke in immediately.

If we are posting silly strips...I have a good one in my headset drawer I will mention and forget about and never show you guys.

How do you like it down there anyways in ZMA?

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

TRS remarks: Callsign Citrus.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Down here, we issue direct to fixes on the arrival all the time. I've never heard anyone complain about it.

Are you with NavCanada?

Delayed edit:

Certified on my second two D sides. Just the three high sectors (which train combined,) to go before I can go to R school and actually be useful!

High sectors are freebies, so grats man.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

ShadowMoo posted:

Why keep such a large amount of space between planes, isnt it like a few miles of open air has to be kept between crafts?

In tower there really isn't that much space required as long as you can see them. Normally the most separation is what you need built in to multiple arrivals so there is enough time for the first aircraft to be off the runway by the time the second aircraft crosses the landing threshold. Yes, I know I'm simplifying here...

Radar, mostly due to radar coverage, accuracy, and delay between returns. They base the separation requirements on a worst care scenario of information being displayed to you. This becomes more so in an EnRoute environment, and even more extreme once certain altitudes are reached.

Then there is wake turbulence. Aircraft have their separation requirements for wake turbulence based off their potential max takeoff weight. So if a plan is right on the cusp, they most likely aren't in that next category except rarely. Things to think about. That and most people actually don't know how wake turbulence works. Down and out.

I think Ferret simplified things pretty well there.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

For reference, wake turbulence is a byproduct of lift-generation which is why it's dependent on weight rather than just aircraft type.

Here's a video on wake turbulence avoidance that explains what it actually is:

http://youtu.be/Zumckf3kT7A

For as important as wake turbulence is it sort of scares me how little a lot of controllers actually know about it. They just get the rules and ignore the rest. I actually have seen EnRoute guys issue CWT advisories (not a requirement EnRoute BTW) and seen MULTIPLE controllers do it wrong. And I would get these death stares when I was in training having to explain to them what they did was completely backwards and wrong. Issuing a CWT to the guy at 390 about the heavy at 380 isn't doing anything except creating excess verbiage and declaring someone trained you wrong. And then they would use the "well I thought you could issue it any time you thought wake turbulence is a possible factor". Ok, well physics and all...

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

fknlo posted:

What's staffing looking like for the other center folks on here? My area is going to be down to multiple 3 man crews since we're losing another guy to airspace. I think we started with 32 or 33 CPC's this year and are either still the same or one under after getting 4 people checked out due to losses to retirement/TMU/desk jobs. The best part is that we keep sending people to TMU to replace people retiring/transferring who were already from our area...

ZJX is overstaffed, except for my area and another. Out of 6 areas, two work the majority of volume/complexity that dictates our pay scale. If you think about ZJX let me know and I'll fill you in on what areas to NOT go to if you actually like breaks. Seriously, the other four areas are so relax they made a guy work over time a few months back because he didn't get enough TOP for the month. He was assigned to the floor the whole time too.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

In the terminal environment, it's 1 hour per position per month. A total of 4 hours per area per month. So where I work, we have a Tower and a TRACON(Radar Room) so that's 2 areas. You need 4 hours in the Tower, and 4 hours in the TRACON, per month, to stay current.

If you lose your currency you have to re-certify on that area with a supervisor. This sometimes happens when people take a lot of leave at once for medical reasons. It's usually not a big deal to recertify unless management already hates you, then it's a good avenue to get rid of you.

At the centers, where the above posters work, the currency requirement may be different. If not, then yes they're really saying that some guys aren't working 4 hours per month on certain positions.

Dude had less than 6 hours TOP. My area would get that in one day.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Crossposting this from the Aviation thread:

As a former tower controller this actually gives me all sorts of wood even if it will most likely never be adopted. I've personally wondered how long it would be to get a HUD like setup on the panes in a tower cab and this sort of approach towards it seems to be a step in a good direction. Cons? Not having complete 360 degree visibility (which is necessary). And yes, I understood that you can move the cameras in this, but when you need to look around you don't want the delay of a camera slowing you up. Also, sunlight. Still, the view is better than this radar crap.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Additional content: I certified on my last three D sides. Mandatory six month seasoning period begins now.

:toot:

Grats. I know who you can blame for that one (the stupid rear end seasoning).

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

It was a AFI when I was in to not allow opposite direction stuff within 15 miles to airports, so when I went FAA it sort of blew my mind there wasn't much to it at first. Ten still seems lenient to me.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

I work with people that just deny them outright but frankly I think they should be counseled and/or fired.

What the...are you a sup or something?

I agree outright denial is weak and bad service (at least make an attempt guys), but thinking career termination for not bothering even contemplating letting a potentially dangerous approach be conducted? Jeez.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Slaughter posted:

Isn't it your job to make sure it can be done where it's not potentially dangerous? What about pilots that break out at circling mins and have to circle to land but they aren't proficient because practicing those approaches is like pulling teeth now?

Absolutely. But there are reasons those approaches are difficult to get done, and honestly, nationwide, always should have been due to potential safety complications. I haven't been in an FAA terminal environment since the changes, but having to get a sup involved seems excessive (then again termninal sups actually work planes so...), but sterilizing the airspace (pretty much what is happening with those mileages) is light years better than the way it was before. Outright denial of the approaches seems a tad much to say the least, and I'm pretty sure a lot of places this is completely unjustified. And some absolutely justified (and they probably wouldn't allow it before). Even the USAF in their infinite wisdom ::rolleyes:: recognized the potential risks of these approaches decades ago. We all learned how to weave them in, but the pilots still knew to expect potential holding waiting for their clearance in and knew to give a big heads up to approach of their intentions.

And Ferret, yes, a smart controller would do exactly that. Call ahead for planning purposes.

Also (....).....

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Just having the supe call works fine where I am. It's not a big place, they're usually just a few feet away.

EDIT: And it's not like they're doing anything anyway.

Legit LOLed. You thinking about ever going somewhere else?

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Always and often. Paperwork has been out for over a year. I've bid out once and it's probably not going to work out. In fact I'm refreshing my transfer requests this month because they're timing out. When I do get picked up I'm expecting delays due to our staffing level. For those who don't know, to transfer not only does the receiving facility need to want you, your present facility needs to let you go.

My transfer to CRP went so quickly, I figured I'm due for a bit of waiting this time. I've had too easy a ride so far in my career, in so many ways.

Some day. Some day.

Try for a hardship some how. Just remember you can only hardship no higher than three levels higher than your current. Get a doctor's note about the climate or something and say you need X climate in X location instead.

Explain the easy ride?

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

xaarman posted:

When the flight is a formation, when are you required to say "Flight" when talking to ATC?

Background: At work, our regs have gone under several revisions. yhe latest debate is when do you have to add Flight to your callsign. The current debate is "Vandy XX Flight" every time you que the mic like that is your callsign, vice only on initial check in. OR, if your flight plan is filed as a formation, is it implied so you only need to say "Vandy XX" because ATC already knows?

I've worked flights for years (even VANDYs at my first location...Hi!) and in a tower environment I never noticed one way or another. En route/radar? It's nice for the initial check in, maybe, but that is about it. We are reading out your strip/information to see what you are. You aren't required to say it. But yeah, initial check in it's NICE, that is about it. I do see it a LOT where F16s out of Shaw are filed single ship, check in as flight, and now we are amending flight plans to properly reflect said information. Declaring who you are MARSA with is much more important, but not every transmission.

Wow, I really could have shortened that answer up, eh? ATC already knows, but be nice, and check in with Flight please, in case there is a error between you and the last controller. Not every transmission. You will just annoy the controller after the initial check in.

I think VANDY callsign brought back nostalgia. You guys still rocking the BE40s and cruising over to IAB to spice up their tower pattern? Also, don't you guys have a controller/pilot liaison program? I would imagine the controllers there would have some input too, and I'm sure having some on-base controller input would have more pull than some jackass with a giant man fairy avatar that told you on the internet.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 20, 2014

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

xaarman posted:

Do any of you all have a FAR/AIM reference for this? It sounds like all technique which is what we're all going through at work and trying to find clear guidance.

Controllers don't work off FAR/AIM. We just look at certain things in there as a means to know what YOU have to adhere to when we issue instructions and what not. If there isn't anything detailing how to handle a thing, we deal with it in the smartest way we know. So yeah, talk to your liaison too.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

fknlo posted:

Looks like a TBM lost pressurization and everyone lost consciousness on the way to Florida. So far they've overflown Cuba

ATC recording here.

Aircraft is N900KN.

Checks on, asks for lower shortly after due to and incorrect indication. Gets descended to FL250. Says they need lower, like FL180. Controller calls traffic at FL240. Ends up turning the TBM. Then descends them to FL200 and turns them on course. The pilot responds to this but doesn't take any action. They call him and repeat the clearance a couple of times and the response gets more and more disjointed. Then nothing.

Listening to the recording, the pilot didn't declare an emergency but seemed pretty urgent. Me, I'm prodding them for exactly what might be wrong. Maybe they tell me it's a pressurization issue and at that point I'm using big turns to make sure I get them down. Not blaming the controller, but it definitely sounded like something was wrong and it might have required a little more communication with the pilot.

I swear my area is the only one at my facility that deals with this stuff. He went NORDO in our oceanic sector. At those altitudes, radios SUCK out there.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Varlock posted:

Everyone else sure did.

There was one sweep where he showed a descent rate of 8800fpm and at that point I thought he might be done for.

This is the place to put one of those "Nope" gifs, right?

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Spookydonut posted:

So is this 'terrorism' or just some dude who's pissed off? I mean end result is the same but still.

It was a contractor. Found the dude in the basement with a bunch of burns from the fire. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes either way, terrorism or pissed off dude. And honestly? After seeing how en route treats their developmentals, I am AMAZED this hasn't happened before. This is why I never treat anyone like poo poo when they are in training, even more so people about to wash. I want to be the nice guy they spare if they go nuts and bring in a automatic rifle. Initial reports just say crazed/pissed guy. But...why? Contractor is making cash. Why so mad?

fknlo posted:

So the union email saying this may be a "long term" outage wasn't kidding. Wonder if this will highlight how vulnerable our air transportation system is to local acts that cause widespread issues.

ERAM didn't save poo poo. :P Also, anyone who has ever even stepped in those buildings knows how stupidly vulnerable this crap really is. Like I said, I'm pretty amazed this hasn't happened before. Multiple times.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 26, 2014

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

fknlo posted:

According to the video attached to the story I posted above, he'd recently been told he was being transferred to Hawaii. Might have had something to do with it.

And yeah, I'm amazed no one has ever gone postal, especially after hearing how bad training was even just a few years ago.

poo poo is still absolutely dumb gently caress retarded in the area at my center. The other areas are basically 6 figure welfare for how much we carry the facilities rating.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

fknlo posted:

Yeah, our transfer from ZJX has been special to say the least. Got checked out on all the highs and then decided he didn't like the cold or something. While he was in the back for DYSIM training he went down for sleep apnea. Finally got that figured out and now he's been retraining for months on sectors he'd already been checked out on. We're pretty sure he was doing it to get sent back there. They told him that wasn't going to happen.

Also, hearing rumors it might be like a month before things get fixed. Just saw on stuckmic that he apparently torched the mains, standby, and backup frequencies as well as loving up flight data and radar data stuff too. One guy just royally hosed some stuff up.

:suicide:

Yeah he was most likely from one of our high side only areas, or the gulf (no volume or complexity), it sounds like. If he was from the West area there is a chance he is garbage also simply due to the fact they have zero volume of aircraft, even though their complexity is almost to the level our area is (North). Our area just does literally more than double what the Gulf and the West area do combined. We do more traffic than all the other areas. If he came from the South area, I'd guarantee he must be trying to just get back. They aren't bad controllers. I remember you mentioning you got a guy from ZJX and saying "lol good luck" if he came from one of our high sides. :P

MrYenko posted:

You're ZJX, aren't you? What area? Just wondering if our poo poo feeds make it up to you or not.

If you talk to Torry/Knemo that's the area I am in. And yes, poo poo feeds is exactly it. Our TMU does jack and poo poo and we take every other center's poo poo because of it. We have a transfer from ZTL who did TMU there, LOVED TMU. Felt like they made a difference. Came here, got checked out, went to TMU. Won't outright admit it, but you can tell they hate TMU here because they are told to accept a BOHECA mentality.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 27, 2014

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

We're adjacent to Cedar Key/Mayo/Zephyr and St Johns/Green Cove/Keystone.

To quote a retired controller from my area: "TMU IS THE ENEMY."

At least you get it from other centers. We seem to take our marching orders from Miami approach. :suicide:

You deal with our south area guys (good controllers for the most part) and our gulf area guys (lol level 5 enroute ahoy!).

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

I saw the time frame this happened, and if it had happened at around 9-10am, I feel certain there would have been some serious mishaps. And it is pretty scary being at work and people talking about how easy this scenario is to pull off. Centers are sitting ducks. It is nuts and scary.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

fknlo posted:

This entire thing has literally been the best case scenario of a worst case scenario. Happening at the time with the slowest traffic, no weather, leading into a weekend, etc...

Hell, it's already fallen almost completely out of the news. I think tomorrow will change that, but we'll see.

I'm definitely using this when talking about this for now on.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah dude, there isn't a short hand people just come up with. The stuff is straight from the .65 on the method to be written in. This is frightening.

edit: Even if you don't have strips any more you should have to know how to write down/type stuff out. That is atrocious.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

WD40 posted:

I remember once I was in a passenger jet and another plane passed beneath ours, big 747 type thing. It couldn't have been less than 100 feet below. I remember thinking 'that's awfully close'. That shouldn't have happened, right?

You can do visual separation under Fl 180. So depends on how high you guys were.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

What's frightening? He's a pilot and what he posted looks like how many many pilots copy their IFR clearances. I learned it as the CRAFT method:

OH! This makes me feel a lot better. I thought he was a controller, hence my facepalming and concern.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

xaarman posted:

You write your 3s weird FYI.

Trees.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

niner tree foar

I've actually worked with people that would hold back people's training for not saying "tree" and "fife". I want to kick these people in their reproductive organs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

If you are wanting to get hired, get your poo poo together. March.