Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SHISHKABOB posted:

Hi, how do they schedule all the planes and stuff for major international airports. There seems like there's a lot of planes, and there are quite a few different airlines and how do they all agree on whose plane gets to get there when and whatever?

Are there regularly scheduled planes like trains have a train that leaves every day at such and such time or something like that? How far into the future do they do the scheduling? I've never bought a plane ticket more than a few months or so ahead of time, but I've never tried buying one, say, a year or more in advance.

It sounds really complicated because there's so many dang planes and there's so many airports.

For a lot of international flights, you call your arrival airport when you're still on the ground at your departure airport and get an arrival slot. Because your flight is long, it's possible to have kind of a lot of leeway in your arrival time. Also, unlike rail travel, it's possible to just wait outside the airport for a little bit if necessary. And yes, regular flights are booked in blocks by the airlines and are handled by airports in the normal way. The airlines don't talk to each other about it at all. It's all up to the airport to ensure fair and even service to all clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Also, I'm not quite sure if TFK covered exactly what you were asking about military and channels. Yes, the military uses the same frequencies as civilian guys, but they also use UHF a lot of the time. Civs stick with VHF. Controllers typically broadcast the same transmission on UHF and VHF. I'm simplifying this as much as I think I can? TFK probably covered it too and I missed it some how.

To clarify, if you're listening on the Oceana Tower frequency, (127.075) you're going to hear the tower talk to the plane, but not the plane's response. The plane is broadcasting on UHF (360.2), and the tower is responding on both UHF (360.2) and VHF (127.075).

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The Ferret King posted:

Could be that there are too many to realistically channelize. Aviation VHF comm frequency range for the U.S. is between 118 and 136MHz with separation between usable frequencies of 25KHz (I hope I'm saying this right, that's .025MHz right?).

So that'd start with:

118.200....etc up to 136.975

Boy that'd be a lot of channels. Think of how big that analog radio knob would have to be or what kind of technology would need to be in place in old aviation radios to make that feasible. A lot of this stuff was standardized way before the sort of modern avionics we have now. Might not be a bad idea to have a billion selectable channels on a digital device of some sort, today, but that wasn't available when the National Airspace System was designed.

This is just my educated guess, I'm not certain about any of this beyond the usable frequency range (published in the Aeronautical Information Manual and other aviation publications)

The first aircraft raidos used (i think) 500kHz spacing, for 36? channels. As equipment got better, authorities changed channel spacing to 250kHz, 100kHz, 50kHz, 25kHz (where we are in the US), and finally to 8.33kHz (in Europe). That's 720 channels for the US, and 2880 for Europe.

Radios are smart enough to tune to the "right" frequency now. The controller says to dial in "108.01", so you do, and that's what the display reads, but the frequency is actually 108.00833MHz. Of course, if you're told 108.25, then it really is 108.250MHz.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

thehustler posted:

I thought it was more a case of the difference being so small that it doesn't really matter, rather than the radio saying one thing on the display but actually being on the "correct" frequency.

There are certain channels in 8.33 spacing that can be tuned into a 25khz spacing radio and used with little problem, whereas others cannot be as they are too far away from a 25khz boundary. I'm sure I remember that being a thing when the spacing was first introduced? They had to maintain compatibility.

So starting from 108.000MHz, your channels look like
108.000 (108.000MHz so actually "frequency 108.0", and not "channel 108.0")
108.005 (108.000MHz, but 8.33kHz spacing)
108.010 (108.00833)
108.015 (108.0167)
108.025 (108.025) "frequency 108.025"
108.030 (108.025 @8.33)
108.035 (108.0333)
108.040 (180.0417)
108.050 (108.0500)
108.055 (108.0500 @8.33)
etc.

If you've only got two digits on your display (common), then you see .00, .00 with some indicator that you're on 8khz, .01, .02, .03, .03*, .04, .05, .05*, etc

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

TangoFox posted:

Well gently caress I killed it.

New contract seems nice. Credit hours are back, gently caress yes.

Any word on what the 1% bonus on contract passing is about?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

fknlo posted:

No one in my new area actually uses strips. At all. They probably should, and I plan to in the same fashion I did at ZKC, but that's just for basic CYA kind of stuff. My area does have some terrain and some non-radar stuff so I think it's kind of nuts that they don't use strips, but I guess it works for them. I think I might be done with D-side stuff now though? I'm not 100% sure, but I think I was doing well enough to only have to run the familiarization problems. I'll know for sure when I go back to work on Wednesday.

Why would "terrain" make a strip useful?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ok, controllers. Say I've got this plane that just came out of its 411/413 check. On that check, the maintainer noted that the blind encoder for the transponder was exactly 100' higher than the altimeter for the full range. The limit is +-125ft, so its within limits, but what should the pilot do?

When he checks in to a sector flying at 2000ft, the controller is going to say "I've got you at 2100, confirm." Does he reply "my transponder reads exactly 100' high, I'm at 2000" ? If so, is there something in your setup that lets you change his mode-c response in these cases?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

To all the controllers working without pay: Thank you all for being dedicated to keeping the dots from touching, and I hope everything works out OK for you guys in the end.

I heard an interview with an LAX Center controller (and NATCA VP) today. The interviewer was half-pressing for "is this a safety crisis?" and the rep said "anytime we're not 100% focused on our jobs it's a bad thing." He really nailed the pride, professionalism, and dedication to safety in your industry.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PT6A posted:

Don't worry, they'll still find a way to gently caress it up.

The ipad will be locked with a 16-digit PIN stored in a .txt document labelled ".jpeg" on some dude's hard drive some where, and zoom won't be pre-installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Since NOTAMS is down at y'all have a bunch of spare time,

What kind of computing hardware runs the ATC system now? I imagine giant old DEC mainframes in the basement of every center, but surely it's newer than that?

I'm browsing the ATC modernization bills and it says a bunch of stuff about scopes and comms but nothing about base compute.