Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
We had a temporary tower and temporary sector set up just for Madras the past four days, apparently they ran it really well and it wasn't too insane. I didn't work that sector yesterday, which sounds like it was unfortunate because the ones I did work were shitshows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

Training loving blows.

This x1000. Although R-side training is infinitely better than D-side. If I can get speed control on the STAR in my first sector down I should check out a little above minimums. :thumbsup:

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

its all nice on rice posted:

Evals finished today. 12 of 15 passed. Had a shot at Seattle (3 spots) but poo poo the bed on problem 2 and placed 4th in the class. The first three people took Seattle. My choices are now between ZKC and ZAB. The last two people are stuck with ZSU.

E: holy poo poo curve ball. The guy ahead of me chose ZKC. I'm going home to ZSE.

Congrats! I heard my area (B) will be getting some of the new academy grads, so we might be working together soon.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
Just got off work, got a little hold over for the craziness. I was working one of our low sectors that feeds PDX when the F15s scrambled up to the area north of me and went into Seattle approach. Tons of diversions and rerouting, it was pretty wild.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
Yeah I'm a CPC at ZSE in the area that deals with Portland a lot. The airspace and procedures are complicated but I had only been at a little up/down before so everything here is way more complex than what I was used to. It can get super busy on nice days, tons of practice approach/VFR work since a lot of flight schools in Oregon train students from Asia. I could see it being a challenge down there, but that washout rate still seems pretty high.

Anyone have experience with the hardship process? I will be submitting mine in the next few days after we found out my mom has stage IV pancreatic cancer earlier this month. Hoping I can get moved back down to the DFW area before things get too bad. I hope I qualify at all but it would be nice to know a general timeline for transfer if it is approved so I know what to expect. This whole situation sucks.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
That's what the sink in the tower is for.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
The GLASR also isn't an RNAV/OPD STAR which I bet is a reason you aren't given descend via. I worked at a different area in Seattle Center but if we had anybody who couldn't accept the RNAV STAR we would put them on a conventional STAR and just issue a crossing restriction. I'm not sure if other places do this differently, but I've never heard a descend via issued on an non-RNAV STAR :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
I think it comes from the note in Section 4-8-11 in the .65. VFR aircraft need to be told to maintain VFR on initial contact or as soon as possible to “remind the pilot that even though ATC is providing IFR-type instructions, the pilot is responsible for compliance with the applicable parts of the CFR governing VFR flight.”

I can see thinking you need to get the read back to cover you if you give a VFR practice approach to a pilot and they then think they can fly through clouds or something since it is technically an instrument approach. I don’t know how that would be handled if there was an accident but I imagine as long as you told them and they came back with at least their call sign you’d be fine.