Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Yes, but they only allow that AFTER they get fully certified.

My facility doesn't allow that. We've had a couple ladies that tried to go part time after having kids and they wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Seriously, the amount of people I work with that are anti-union and republican BLOWS MY MIND considering what happened with white book. I suppose that since they were grandfathered in it was "eff you got mine".

It's that and the fact that they make a decent amount of money, but not enough to qualify for the loopholes that actual rich people use to pay less in taxes. Then you have those filthy government moochers(controllers that work less than 2 hours a day aren't this) living life high on the hog on their tax money and you get die hard republicans. Controllers bitch a lot about everything, but holy poo poo if you start talking about taxes they go nuts.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

That said, even ERAM is pretty much mired in a 1980s era UI design.

Our keyboards and trackballs are straight out of the 60's! The numberpad is even backwards! That's the hardest part of the job, learning the backwards numberpad. We did get some new backlit keyboards that look like they're from the 80's a few months ago though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I am pretty sure you would have to talk to a flight doc. Be careful with what you say. Some want to disqualify people just for sneezing once a day. Hit me up on steam CoX bro.

The general rule is to not tell them about anything you don't have to. Nope, I never get headaches, I don't drink, I've never been dizzy, etc... Don't loving volunteer anything.

I'm going to die of some super easily fixable thing because I still do my best to not go to a doctor because of some irrational fear they'll find something stupid and meaningless that will cost me my job.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

In my facility, not every sector has a guard-tuned transceiver.

I think my facility only has one area that can receive/transmit on guard.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Related: Blue alerts for AR traffic clipping the corner of Tailhook drives me loving insane.

Haha, you aren't on ERAM.

It's pretty nice almost never having to deal with stupid military stuff. We have one AR route and a couple of MOA's near our airspace and that's it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

AR means Atlantic Route

Maybe out there on the commie east coast :clint:

Here they're just aerial refueling tracks.

URET/EDST is a really great tool if you just use it as a tool instead of trying to separate traffic with it. There have been a few times when I'm getting my rear end kicked and I glance over at it and see some reds that I hadn't already caught myself. Some people rely on it way too much.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

StuckMic is an apocalyptic wasteland of shattered hopes and broken dreams.

I haven't been there yet, might stop by tomorrow to drink some of the tears. It does suck if you didn't get accepted, but there are so many entitled motherfuckers out there and I admittedly get some joy from them crying.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

The stuckmic.com rumor mill has several posters who passed it, but there's another rumor circulating that these notices were sent in error and that there might be some changes.

Rumor rumor rumor.

Yeah, hearing that only 2200 out of 28000 applicants passed the questionnaire and there might be issues with it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure the bio questionnaire had nothing to do with experience, it's looking for personality types that have a history of being good controllers. A friend's sister got past it. Said friend is also a controller.

Doesn't mean something wasn't hosed up though.

Also so many "I answered how I thought the FAA wanted me to answer" replies.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

There's a woman at the academy that greets you on your first day and administers some tests. She has a lot of letters and abbreviations after her name, is probably borderline on some kind of personality test, maybe the one she administers, and is ABSOLUTELY convinced that her statistical analysis can produce better controllers.

Not when she pisses off your class on your second trip to see her and you just gently caress off instead of doing what she wants.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

But I want that lawsuit to win.

Are they suing the schools or the FAA? Good luck if they're going after the FAA. The schools deserve anything that happens to them for feeding people a bunch of bullshit.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
If the FAA didn't officially step up and say that you had to go to CTI school I don't think there's much of a case. I doubt they'll be held accountable for what individual employees were saying. I'm pretty sure there has always been "public hiring is still an option" type deal in all the bids they've put out.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Starting to hear a lot of "super center" talk again lately. Not gonna lie, wouldn't have a huge problem moving to Dallas. Lots of good places to fish down there. On the other hand, it would add a few hours to my Denver drive during snowboarding season :smith:

I can't help but think of how big of a bullseye something like that would have on it though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

First I've heard of them renewing those talks. I can't imagine it actually going through though, to many people would not want to move.

I've heard some talk about it at work and then some guy on reddit that claims to work at KBOI said his ATM is at some meeting where they're discussing it. Apparently cost savings numbers are being run and everything. I'm sure there are plenty of people that wouldn't want to move but would do it anyway because a) good luck finding another job that pays what we make and b) the move would almost assuredly be paid for.

All the centers are old as poo poo anyway and need to be updated. I could certainly see them doing something like that instead of building a bunch of new facilities in their current cities. A new, spider-free building would be pretty cool.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Yessssss. ZJX is a pig they keep trying to put new lipstick on. Not to mention how many years they have been removing asbestos out of the place. What kills me, is that instead of building a new facility on the massive piece of land we are on, we just keep letting the goats (I'm dead serious...we have goats) roam around on a few acres while we work in a crap hole falling apart.

We just got a guy from ZJX, he hasn't mentioned the goats yet. Just looked it up on google maps, and holy hell you guys are in the middle of nowhere.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

If he sucks, I can take a wild guess what area in our center he was from.

He's still training, no clue if he's good or not. Gonna be kind of funny to watch once he starts working lows since he didn't have them there.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

That's awesome. Also you're jumping on your checkout party much sooner than any of our recent certified guys. Some of them have been done for 2 months and still haven't thrown a party. We-will-never-forget.

I haven't done a party either. I've been blowing all my money on snowboarding, I'm house shopping, and I don't drink. Not exactly in any rush.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

We had our first successful 24hr ERAM run yesterday. They managed to pair it with the first real weather day of the season, as well.

It was good times. :v:

That would definitely be fun. Nobody's maps set up properly and all that jazz.

Talked to our head honcho after a briefing yesterday and he said center consolidation is definitely being discussed. Whole lot of hurdles if it ever moves forward.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Liar of the Shire posted:

I think one of the biggest obstacles of consolidated centers, beyond being a logistical nightmare, is that congressmen are going to be extremely reluctant to allow 300+ high paying jobs to leave their districts and, in many cases, go out of state.

Yeah, this was mentioned as one of the biggest hurdles. It's still just in the preliminary discussion stage as far as I know, but it's definitely being looked into.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

So they're phone-style instead of computer-style? Makes sense if you're also phoning from the same console.

It was mentioned that it was a different unit, but the two being the same setup is the reasoning I've always heard. I don't get it though, as nobody uses a phone in the same way they use a number pad. I'm used to switching between the two for the most part, but it was not easy to get used to. Every now and then you'll be sitting on sector and none of your inputs are doing anything because your brain randomly reverts to "normal" layout.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

We have a few flight schools in the area that like to do group cross countries. The majority of their students have only a basic grasp of English, and they like to pick up individual flight following, and then essentially fly formation.

:suicide:

Group suppress yo. I've never seen non military formation flight request on an IFR flight plan. They sure as hell aren't gonna get that clearance from me either...

VFR flight following requesting a formation join up? Maintain VFR. So we're clear to join up? MAINTAIN VFR.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The only time I generally deal with MARSA is on the one aerial refueling route that has a start/end point in my airspace. I'm sure we have LOA's with the units that are the main users, but there are quite a few. As far as I'm concerned, random tanker comes on with an AR request, declares MARSA with whoever his receivers are going to be, and then I can give the clearance provided they're all in my airspace or I have control with others to do so. Whether or not we have an LOA with that unit or whatever never enters my mind. They ask for MARSA, they get it.

I've done a few random aerial refueling requests as well. The only real coordination is getting the block approved and letting the next sector know who is in the group and when they plan on breaking up if you know that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Sounds like you probably do actually have the letters of agreement though, right?

Probably? We have a lot of LOA's with military units that something like 3 people have actually read.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Well, I know that there is probably a huge different between an entire Center's worth of LOAs and my terminal facility experience. But I probably would have been one of those three guys. I'm the "book guy" at work because I can't work airplanes worth a poo poo you know.

You're never quizzed on anything that isn't a facility LOA here. At least my area isn't. Some areas with a more active military presence might get stuff like that, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

In other news, our new supervisor tried to put our arrivals and departures for one of the approaches we service into essentially the same chunk of sky, yesterday, for weather...

It didn't work. :v:

Why the hell was a supervisor working when there was weather?

That's something you have to do under certain circumstances, but when you're getting 8 hours a month you shouldn't be doing it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

My understanding is that, this time around, folks will first go to the ATC Academy in Oklahoma City, and will be placed in facilities based on their performance at the academy. If that's true, none of these folks will know where they're going until the very last minute.

I assume there are still different enroute and tower programs at the academy? It's going to be bad enough as is, I can't even imagine the clusterfuck of not knowing if you're going to some level 4 tower in Wyoming or a center until you're done.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

E4C85D38 posted:

In that case, would you try to increase seperation somehow (I assume having the trailing plane do a few circles), or just deal with it in some other manner?

You'll generally just give them the scenic tour of your airspace like so. We needed 20 miles in trail to KMSP, he got a 270 heading and then a 050 heading before going back on course. I would have just left him on the 270 heading but I wanted to keep him in my airspace.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 13, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

I'm pretty sure they're controlled material, as well. Not positive on that, though.

I have a set of "old" maps of our full high and low sectors for the whole center hanging in my apartment. They give them out when they get updated ones. That doesn't mean I'm going to scan them or take pictures though, because I don't want to get in trouble even though they hand them out pretty freely.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bob A Feet posted:

How long does it usually take you guys to shift change? I swear no poo poo I'll get called, reply, and on the next call to the next person its a completely different guy. I'm pretty impressed with how seemless it is.

The Ferret King posted:

Start to finish, the position relief process takes about 5 minutes.

The relieving controller plugs in, reviews the information for the position, then tells the controller being relieved to start the verbal briefing.

Usually the verbal briefing takes a minute or two, depending on the complexity of the current operation. Once the verbal briefing is complete, the relieving controller says they now have the position and they begin talking on the radio.

The controller being relieved stays plugged in for at least 2 minutes to monitor the operation and clarify anything that was missed during the transfer of responsibility.

That's how it's supposed to be done...

Depending on the person you're relieving, it can take as little as 3 seconds. "You're talking to the highlighted ones". Unplugs and walks away.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Many of those cute sounding girls often are not so cute.

On the plus side, they can realistically be so big and still fit in the cockpit. The hot sounding lady pilots are all hot, and they all want me. It's what gets me through the day.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kmcormick9 posted:

N124 5 miles south of FARTO cross FARTO at or above 2,100.......

My favorite fix in my airspace is DONGO.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Memphis just got into this game with one of their new RNAV arrivals. WHOLL, HOOOG on the BRBBQ Arrival.

The Ferret King posted:

I went to Kansas City for my FAA pre employment processing years ago. Jack Stack BBQ was absolutely amazing.

I just ate some Oklahoma Joe's about an hour ago :smug:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Figured I'd bring this thread back to life with a simple message to all these little pop up storms that have been over southern Missouri and Illinois this week:

:fuckoff:

One co-worker did have something positive to add in that at least the rides have been good!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

thehustler posted:

A UK specific question if anyone knows:

Is there an altitude above which you don't have to check in with ATC? I'm trying to fact check this article: http://t.co/k2g4SKPyWY

I didn't make it past

quote:

at the unusually high altitude of 45,000 feet. It had not filed a flight plan, and was flying above the level at which air traffic control reporting is mandatory.

That alone is full of enough poo poo to discredit whatever else they want to talk about.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

thehustler posted:

Thought so. I was going through the CAA documents to find out but got very bored.

You can probably just google image search "european airspace classes" and get some graphs. I think they have a similar setup to U.S. airspace in that FL180-FL600 are IFR only and therefore require an IFR clearance/flight plan to enter.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

A lot of Europe uses LOWER limits for their class-A equivalents, too.

Content: Weather season is in full swing across Florida. It sucks.

Pilots: "We're just gonna make a slight right deviation and then direct Cross City when able," is not descriptive of a 40 degree right turn.

:suicide:

That's why I'll lock them down to 10-15% and make them ask for more if they need it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
When you're turning in leave, you're supposed to put in for the shift that you would normally work, right? I tried turning in the last 3 days of leave this week. My last shift is a mid, which has of course already been covered. This would give us 4 on the mid. I've seen this happen when other people turn in leave. My request for that shift was denied in what I assume is an attempt to get me to work in the morning on that day instead. gently caress that. At this point I hope they need 4 on the mid for weather because I'm going to tell them to pound sand and hire overtime.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zochness posted:

We usually need all the bodies we can get though, I'm sure its much different for you guys in the center.

No, we do too. The morning shift is short, so I assume they want me to work that. Not gonna turn in leave for a "short" weekend. So I hope they have fun with that.

edit: The supervisor that's here this morning was rather surprised that the request was denied. He told me that if I want the shift it's mine. I told him I'd rather just keep my leave at this point. He said that's all good, just make sure I tell him that again when he asks me to come in tonight for weather. Love this place.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What's staffing looking like for the other center folks on here? My area is going to be down to multiple 3 man crews since we're losing another guy to airspace. I think we started with 32 or 33 CPC's this year and are either still the same or one under after getting 4 people checked out due to losses to retirement/TMU/desk jobs. The best part is that we keep sending people to TMU to replace people retiring/transferring who were already from our area...