Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Additional content: I certified on my last three D sides. Mandatory six month seasoning period begins now.

Haha, what the gently caress? 6 months seasoning? That is insane.

Congrats on getting all your D-sides. Buy yourself something nice that isn't attached to the ground ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bob A Feet posted:

What kind of weather overlay, if any, do you have on your radar displays? I've flown in planes that are weather radar inop and always just asked center/approach if that cloud ahead of me is too bad to fly into and I can usually get a good answer.

Centers use what is called "WARP". It shows moderate, heavy, and extreme precipitation. We have filters that can cut out certain altitudes but have no way of knowing actual tops without reports from pilots. It's generally accurate to within a minute or so. I think the most it can be out of date is in the 6 minute range. It's our responsibility to inform you of weather we have displayed, unfortunately this doesn't always happen when you get busy or are just one of the lazy controllers who assume that all the planes have better radar than you do.

Found a picture:

The purple is moderate, the checkered purple and turquoise is heavy, turquoise is extreme.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 26, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Not being in an active training status is basically the best thing, though.

Yeah it is. Take breaks when you want(not too often though) and no one other than your R side watching everything you do. Just wait till you're all done!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Slaughter posted:

Yeah at towered places I'll just call the tower if I need an opposite direction.

For the two towered airports in my airspace, we'll call to get the approach approved since that's not what they're advertising, then our supervisor calls them to do the same thing because that's apparently how it has to be done.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Ah it's been alright. But this was always going to be a stepping stone to somewhere bigger. Assuming I didn't top out my skill level here. But I think I've got more to give.

Have you looked at any centers? There's always going to be someone about to wash out who needs a place to go. Do they do swaps of that type? You have radar experience so a center would probably love to have you.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looks like a TBM lost pressurization and everyone lost consciousness on the way to Florida. So far they've overflown Cuba

ATC recording here.

Aircraft is N900KN.

Checks on, asks for lower shortly after due to and incorrect indication. Gets descended to FL250. Says they need lower, like FL180. Controller calls traffic at FL240. Ends up turning the TBM. Then descends them to FL200 and turns them on course. The pilot responds to this but doesn't take any action. They call him and repeat the clearance a couple of times and the response gets more and more disjointed. Then nothing.

Listening to the recording, the pilot didn't declare an emergency but seemed pretty urgent. Me, I'm prodding them for exactly what might be wrong. Maybe they tell me it's a pressurization issue and at that point I'm using big turns to make sure I get them down. Not blaming the controller, but it definitely sounded like something was wrong and it might have required a little more communication with the pilot.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

I actually didn't sense a whole lot of urgency in the pilots voice on the recording.

For me it was just the "We need lower" out of the blue. To me that's not a good thing and my spider sense starts tingling immediately.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looks like the CTI schools finally started throwing enough money at Senators to get a bill introduced.

SAFE TOWERS ACT :rolleyes:

quote:

Among other provisions, the SAFE TOWERS Act would:

· Restore preferred status for CTI graduates with school recommendations and qualified veterans back into the hiring process.

· Eliminate the use of a Biographical Assessment that unduly disqualifies applicants.

· Allow candidates who will have aged out from the interim hiring process, or were deemed unqualified by the Bio Q, the chance to reapply.

· Establish an ATC Advisory Committee, composed of relevant educational institutions and organizations, to provide advice and recommendations to the Administrator of the FAA in regards to needs, objectives, plans, and content of air traffic control training programs.

o Requires an annual report from the Advisory Committee to Congress citing recommendations. The FAA must respond within 60 days explaining why they did or did not comply.

o Requires the FAA to notify Advisory Committee and CTI schools prior to any future changes in the hiring process and allow the schools an opportunity to comment.

o Requires the FAA take into consideration locally developed training initiatives at CTI schools when establishing best practices nationwide.

So basically, the CTI schools want control over the hiring process.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

They still crank out more suckers students than there are ATC jobs, annually, which is a rather large structural problem with the whole program.

And judging by the influx of new trainees and the subsequent lack of diversity of said trainees I can kind of see what the FAA is going for. All but 2 new trainees in the building this year are white dudes. The other 2 are white chicks.

Those schools shouldn't have any say over what the FAA does and their students shouldn't get preferential treatment over any other college degree. I keep seeing people trying to equate it to an accounting or law degree being required for those respective fields, but come on. They're not even remotely similar.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

I love the dramatic and pandering name of that bill.

I was an off the street hire and I don't think I'm unsafe.

Well you see, my degree that prepared me for the FAA academy and pretty much nothing else makes me a better controller than anyone else because reasons.

I'm an off the street hire too. I'm only mildly unsafe. Probably only that good because I've got a degree in a non-aviation field. A guy I went to the academy with only has a GED. He got checked out too! He's terrible, but he still managed to get checked out without some fancy associates in FAA academy preparedness.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Spoke to my old Raytheon boss upstairs the other day, and found out that the last few enroute initial classes have had a 45% pass rate. On average, in a class of 18, 8 or 9 move on to their respective facilities. That should be printed in bold italic 90pt font at the top of your college major paperwork if you're signing up at a CTI school.

We had our big talk about upcoming staffing/budget/etc... with the facility head the other day. I think he said the academy is at about a 40% washout rate and then once they get to ZKC about another 25% wash out. So that's a lot of people not making it through. On the plus side, if you make it through your first year you can go to a tower if you don't make it at the center. I don't think many of those people wash out of their towers?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Apparently there was a fire at Chicago Center. Possibly set by a contractor? All flights are going around them.

Story here

My airspace is most of southern Illinois. Looks like they're not having a good time...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Latest news

quote:

ABC7 sources are calling this an intentional act. The source said the man, who has not been identified, had intimate knowledge of the building and radar system. He cut every radar feed to FAA air controllers before setting gas-soaked rags on fire near sensitive equipment, sources said, and also damaged the communications system.

:stare:

So the union email saying this may be a "long term" outage wasn't kidding. Wonder if this will highlight how vulnerable our air transportation system is to local acts that cause widespread issues.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

It was a contractor. Found the dude in the basement with a bunch of burns from the fire. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes either way, terrorism or pissed off dude. And honestly? After seeing how en route treats their developmentals, I am AMAZED this hasn't happened before. This is why I never treat anyone like poo poo when they are in training, even more so people about to wash. I want to be the nice guy they spare if they go nuts and bring in a automatic rifle. Initial reports just say crazed/pissed guy. But...why? Contractor is making cash. Why so mad?

According to the video attached to the story I posted above, he'd recently been told he was being transferred to Hawaii. Might have had something to do with it.

And yeah, I'm amazed no one has ever gone postal, especially after hearing how bad training was even just a few years ago.

Edit: Guess that means the psych evaluations are doing their job? One chemtrail nut with a truck and some fertilizer could really gently caress some stuff up though.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 26, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

poo poo is still absolutely dumb gently caress retarded in the area at my center. The other areas are basically 6 figure welfare for how much we carry the facilities rating.

Yeah, our transfer from ZJX has been special to say the least. Got checked out on all the highs and then decided he didn't like the cold or something. While he was in the back for DYSIM training he went down for sleep apnea. Finally got that figured out and now he's been retraining for months on sectors he'd already been checked out on. We're pretty sure he was doing it to get sent back there. They told him that wasn't going to happen.

Also, hearing rumors it might be like a month before things get fixed. Just saw on stuckmic that he apparently torched the mains, standby, and backup frequencies as well as loving up flight data and radar data stuff too. One guy just royally hosed some stuff up.

:suicide:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 26, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KodiakRS posted:

Just posted onto the work FB page:

I'm not an ATC guy but is there any way they can borrow some space at ZKC or ZMP and run part of the center from there?

This is kind of what is going on, but it's really, really complicated. One of our(ZKC) areas is working the southbound departures off KORD as well as the arrivals to KORD from the south. The caveat is that we're having to give them weird routing to keep them in approach control airspace due to how the processing works.

quote:

Or are the next few weeks just going to be a royal pain in everyone's rear end?

Yes.

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

I feel like you guys have way more information than I do at this point. They called me this morning to tell me not to come in and not to bother calling the facility since no one would be there. Then I heard nothing until they called me again and told me not to come in on Saturday.

Are you at ZAU? Might be a few days before you're back at work.

I'm really interested in seeing what the overall takeaway from this is going to be. One guy can really gently caress up the system, and this showed it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Our TMU does jack and poo poo and we take every other center's poo poo because of it.

Same for us. Indy and Chicago basically run what we do. I don't know why they don't just officially get rid of our TMU and let them run it from outside the building. Couldn't be any worse. Any time someone has the balls to ask why we're doing something or try to say no the command center just shuts them down and we bend over and take it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

Latest union email says we're all on admin leave until October 6th. They have us volunteering at other facilities ripping strips and processing flight plans.

I've heard some rumors that at least a few of you might be going to surrounding centers to take over the makeshift sectors we're working. I'm honestly kind of interested in the legality of us working the airspace we are. Extraordinary circumstances kind of stuff I assume?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
NATCA just released a statement on what has been going on.

quote:

AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS KEEP SKIES ABOVE CHICAGO SAFE, EFFICIENT FOLLOWING FRIDAY FIRE

WASHINGTON – Following a fire last Friday that closed the Chicago Air Route Traffic Control Center (ZAU) in Aurora, Ill., hundreds of air traffic controllers at more than a dozen key facilities are continuing to safely move as much air traffic flow into, out of and around the Chicago area as possible.

This work will continue into the coming week as the Federal Aviation Administration develops a plan to repair critical communications infrastructure that was destroyed in the fire.

“This is one of the most challenging situations that air traffic controllers and other FAA employees have faced since 9/11,” NATCA President Paul Rinaldi said. “The damage to this critical facility is unlike anything we have seen before. Since the first moment when radar scopes went dark at Chicago Center Friday morning, controllers have ensured the highest level of safety at all times. We know this has been a tremendous disruption to the travel plans of many people. We are working diligently to re-establish as close to normal operations as possible to minimize the inconvenience to travelers while keeping safety above everything else.”

There are four en route centers that border the ZAU airspace; Cleveland Center (ZOB), Indianapolis Center (ZID), Kansas City Center (ZKC), and Minneapolis Center (ZMP). Each of these facilities has helped assume the ZAU airspace responsibilities, and worked very well with Terminal Radar Approach Control (TRACON) facilities in Chicago, Milwaukee, Fort Wayne, South Bend, and elsewhere (see full list in final paragraph), as well as with many control towers, including both O’Hare and Midway Airports in Chicago.

“We have seen a plan of action established by the adjacent centers and other key facilities that is evolving and improving by the hour, and providing safe service that is increasing in efficiency,” NATCA Executive Vice President Trish Gilbert said. “Air traffic controllers are trained to expect the unexpected and make a new plan work safely. The level of resourcefulness and ingenuity that has been demonstrated over the past three days is truly astounding. Controllers and other FAA safety professionals will continue to implement outside-the-box thinking to get the system functioning well while Chicago Center repairs are made.”

As of Sunday afternoon, arrival traffic into O'Hare and Midway is being fed to Chicago TRACON (C90) directly from ZMP and ZKC. Arrivals into Chicago airports from ZOB and ZID are being descended down first into South Bend TRACON, then into C90. Departure traffic from O'Hare and Midway continue to be worked directly from C90 to ZKC, ZID, and ZOB, while traffic to the north continues to depart the tower en route through Milwaukee TRACON.

Updates below:

ORD: The arrival rate has been increased to 72 per hour. Departure restrictions are still in place in all directions. Manual handoffs with other control facilities are still in place in the absence of a fully functioning automated flight plan system. We are seeing departure delays of up to 15 minutes. That could increase to 30 by later today.

C90: An already short-staffed facility is utilizing ZAU controllers to help with increased coordination to different centers. That is ensuring that the operation is as efficient as possible. “We continue to work hard, and I am so proud of the controllers’ professionalism and work ethic,” NATCA Facility Representative James Hall said. “We are C90 - we will always figure out a way to move the airplanes. I anticipate increasing our efficiencies with continued out-of-the-box thinking. That is, of course, with continued ZAU controller support, and staffing to hold.”

ZAU: This is the first time since 1963 that ZAU air traffic controllers have not worked the airspace. “The controllers at Chicago Center are currently providing as much assistance to other facilities as possible,” NATCA Facility Representative Toby Hauck said. "I have attempted to put into words what we have been through and it is impossible to describe. I thank all those facilities and controllers who have stepped up.”

ZID: “So far, the arrival process seems to be going well,” NATCA Facility Representative Jim Larson said. “We have had to make manual handoffs to the approach controls on all of the arrivals, but our controllers have done a good job of dealing with the increased traffic and complexity.” ZID's radar and radio coverage has been exceptional, and is allowing them to radar identify the aircraft while they are still within Chicago TRACON airspace, but until the problem with the automated flight plan data is solved, it remains a tedious operation. Extra staffing has been called in to assist with the new procedures and airspace in both areas. This will most likely continue for the duration of the ZAU outage.

ZKC: ZKC has set up a new sector that is working a chunk of Chicago Center's (ZAU) airspace to allow for O'Hare (ORD) and Midway (MDW) arrivals and departures to be worked. They have a plan in place in which they own 16,000 feet and above from Joliet (JOT), which is just in Chicago TRACON's (C90) airspace, west to Des Moines (DSM) and south to Centralia, Ill. (ENL). They have radar and frequency coverage, so ZKC is working directly with C90 to accomplish handoffs and transfer of flight plans.
Additional personnel is helping the areas adjacent to ZAU¹s boundary with the extra position being opened and transferring of flight plan information. “We also have a dedicated phone brought in that is dialed into C90, acting as a direct line for the ease of passing flight plans to and from C90,” NATCA Facility Representative Aaron Merrick said. “Once we got our plan implemented Friday, things began to move smoother than they were after the initial phase of the situation.”

ZMP: They are doing a very similar operation as ZKC. They have created a sector that works what is called the "Bullz" arrival and two departure routes - one west and one north - as well as the tower operations en route from Milwaukee and Green Bay. “We have extra staffing in the facility to help with the situation,” NATCA Facility Representative Mike Thompson said. “There are many great people doing many great things with very little to work with.”

ZOB: As of noon on Sunday, ZOB was receiving about 85 percent of ORD departure flight plan information. However, everything is still manual coordination whether they have the flight plan info or not.

ZOB's airspace plan is also very similar to ZKC. The facility has basically extended their western boundary 60 miles further to the West, almost to C90’s eastern boundary. With the extra airspace they’ve attained from ZAU, they were able to create two new departure sectors. These sectors handle all east, northeast and southeastern departures.

“The affected areas of the facility handling the additional sectors are all requiring extra staffing to handle the extra workload and complexity,” NATCA Facility Representative Drew MacQueen said. “We expect this to continue as work to increase traffic levels out of ZAU continues to mount.”

TRACONS IN ZAU AIRSPACE: Controllers working radar positions at the TRACONS in Cedar Rapids, Champaign, Des Moines, Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Milwaukee, Moline, Muskegon, Peoria, Rockford, South Bend, Springfield, Waterloo, and also Grissom Air Reserve Base in Kokomo, Ind., have played a crucial role in the effort to get traffic moving as a temporary solution while ZAU is down. In the case of traffic flowing into and out of Chicago airports, they are providing a conduit between the adjacent centers and Chicago TRACON. “These employees are working a staggering amount of traffic, using new procedures and methods being altered almost constantly, and ensuring safety in very difficult and pressure-filled situations,” Gilbert said. “It’s a great team effort in progress.”

Now is probably the best time to do it while it's still out of the news because of the weekend. Tomorrow is probably going to be a loving mess. Gonna be fun!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I saw the time frame this happened, and if it had happened at around 9-10am, I feel certain there would have been some serious mishaps. And it is pretty scary being at work and people talking about how easy this scenario is to pull off. Centers are sitting ducks. It is nuts and scary.

This entire thing has literally been the best case scenario of a worst case scenario. Happening at the time with the slowest traffic, no weather, leading into a weekend, etc...

Hell, it's already fallen almost completely out of the news. I think tomorrow will change that, but we'll see.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Things have generally been going a lot smoother than expected so far. I think that's going to change on Wednesday with some weather forecast and Obama visiting Chicago....

That is gonna gently caress things up for sure.

The ZAU guys hadn't shown up as of last night but I guess we keep taking more airspace and they're going to be opening another arrival or departure track. Hopefully they aren't biting off more than they can chew. If the extra people show up it shouldn't be an issue.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

two_beer_bishes posted:

So two flights takes off out of ORD going east bound and are told to contact ZOB after departure but none of the flights going eastbound can get in contact for about half an hour. I'm told they're being separated 30 miles in trail, but if they aren't in contact with anyone, how are they providing separation?

Probably assigned speeds. For us they're climbing to FL230 with no speed restrictions, but we can somewhat communicate with them as soon as C90 ships them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

unnoticed posted:

I asked this in the pilot thread but didn't get a response...

Are controllers able to do flight following for VFR traffic in the Chicago area at the moment? I've heard they are really overworked due to the fire. I'm planning a skyline lakefront flight for this weekend and I prefer to get following over there since there tends to be a lot of traffic.

They should be able to depending on workload. Same general rules apply. The only places you absolutely won't be able to get flight following is in airspace in Chicago center not currently being run by an approach control. I've had a few guys go in VFR at 17,500 and I make sure to let them know in no uncertain terms that they're on their own but they can try X approach if they want to descend.

I'm assuming these videos are shareable since they got sent out by email, but this is what the ORD/MDW flow has looked like for a couple of days:

Sept 28, 2014

Sept 29, 2014

I believe blue are ORD arrivals, red are MDW arrivals and everything else is departures. Keep in mind that this is all being done buy surrounding centers and approach controls.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 1, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Busy approach controls are notorious for that kind of stuff. I know St. Louis approach wouldn't accept hanoffs on overflights of any kind back in the day.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got an email today saying they're hoping to have ZAU back up Monday morning. Hopefully it works. This whole working more traffic for longer periods of time thing sucks.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kilonum posted:

Reading through this thread makes m shudder to think of the kind of poo poo show that would have happened if the rear end in a top hat had pulled this stunt on the day before Thanksgiving.

It wouldn't have had to be a higher than normal traffic day. 9 am on the day he did it and:

All of the sudden ZAU can't talk to any planes. Surrounding centers aren't able to hand planes they have to ZAU. Any planes in the air in ZAU going to other centers/approach controls are going to be nothing more than a transponder code with an altitude flying at them. ZAU can't communicate with these planes to give them frequencies to change to or talk to surrounding centers to try to pass whatever information they can.

It would have been complete pandemonium.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
FAA released the report on using biodata to select controllers (PDF).

quote:

No relationship was found in this study between overall HS GPA, educational degree achieved, or being a CTI graduate and training status.

So now when they tell you they're better qualified for the job than anyone else because of *REASONS*, you can laugh in their face with actual data.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Are you going to have to do the enroute academy course?

Tower to enroute don't go to the academy for some really strange reason. I started with a guy that went from Riverside in Tulsa and he definitely struggled a bit.

edit:

quote:

I've got my radar ticket already so I'm sure that will help, but the rules will take some getting used to.

That will definitely help. You'll at least know what a point out is.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got our "thanks for the hard work when Chicago Center exploded" stuff today. Time off or cash award? Nope! A coin and a letter. :thumbsup:

I'd heard rumors of up to a week of time off award for everyone "directly" involved, but nope. poo poo, we even got 4 hours just for transitioning to ERAM.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Sounds familiar: we got the 4 hours of leave for transitioning to ERAM, but we can't have spot leave, because we're understaffed.

:v:

The best part about time off awards is that they expire after a year! Your best bet is to use it when you already have approved leave and just save yourself those 4 hours.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
All of these people that are going to get thrown to whatever facility the FAA decides to send them to are going to make it so easy for me to swap when I decide I want to go somewhere else.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

We were just informed at ZMA that instead of six (6) trainees for the fiscal year, we'll be getting fifty (50).

Our training department is gonna be hoppin'. :v:

Nice!

I'm not sure what the plans for ZKC are right now. My area has something like 6 or 7 guys training on the D-side right now. I have my OJTI class this week so I can get in on the fun! :downs:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

I'm finally building up some experience training others and I've really not been enjoying it. I've yet to have a developmental that gives a crap and it's pretty irritating. I'm also really friendly, patient, and bookish so they like to give me the trainees that are struggling so they're not getting constantly demoralized by the more aggressive controllers.

I'm not certain it's been a good tactic for anyone involved, as my recommendation rate is pretty low so far. I'm even looking at going through a training review board (official process to extend or terminate training) with one of my developmentals within a month. I've never done that before.

You have to remember that there may be reasons that they're struggling outside of aggressive trainers. It's definitely not good if they don't seem to give a crap. Our last washout seemed to have that kind of attitude. Good guy, I'm pretty sure he could do the job, but his attitude leaned towards not giving a gently caress until he was in front of the review board. He would also let situations develop way longer than he should have.

I've told them I'd wanted to wait a couple of years after getting checked out before I started training but I realized that wasn't feasible under current conditions. I'm hoping I'll just be a backup for a while as I continue to learn.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
New Bid Out

Have to have 52 weeks of certified experience.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

My area just got another transfer, this time with fourteen years as a CPC.

...Which makes him #3 on the seniority list.

I'm going to be Wednesday/Thursday until the heat death of the universe.

:lol:

#3 with only 14 years in?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Holy poo poo my thoughts exactly.

I haven't actually tried to figure it out because I don't really care, but I think it's possible that I could never even make top 10 in seniority before I'm forced out due to being almost 30 when I started.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Abu Dave posted:

How do you go about looking into Flight Service Stations careers? I do dispatch for trains already, but I prefer aviation and I think it sounds ideal.

Good luck with that. They're seriously looking at shutting them down and having pilots call us for their clearances. Because that will be fun.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Boy it's good money if you can keep the job a while though. I have two coworkers that started in flight service and they made 6 figures in their early 20s.

Very likely they would have been laid off by now, but while it lasts it's a good gig if you can be responsible with your cash.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to discourage you from looking into it, just be aware that it's probably not going to last. I imagine it's probably fairly competitive to get the few jobs they still have left as well.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Krime posted:

Any of you CPCs going to the safety conference coming up in Vegas?

Nope! I'll probably start doing more of that stuff over the next few years?

How many years until the windows of the tower have a "futuristic" display that shows who/what each aircraft is? Seems like the logical way to go with everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

We also have a third radar position, called a tracker. During extremely heavy traffic, the R side will stand up, behind the tracker, who takes the radar controller's seat, and plugs in at the radar console. The Voice Control System splits the tracker off onto the R-side's landlines, and the R-side simply scans, and talks to airplanes. All R-side data entry is performed by the tracker, who is doing a scan of his own, double checking the radar controller.

I legit hate doing it like this. I as the R side am going to stay sitting down and the tracker can stand behind me. It's retarded to do it the other way. Give me extra set of eyes and I'm happy.