Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

I mean, I'd be more concerned with the whole "people working an overnight shift that aren't normally awake overnight and also work the worst possible schedule for fatigue mitigation to top it off" angle if I was flying a redeye, but that's just me.

:hmmyes:

In other news, ZMA is now literally full of poo poo, in addition to being figuratively full of poo poo as normal.

ZMA FACRep posted:

Apparently the sewage tanks or main sewer line is blocked/broken and the entire main facilities restrooms are out of service

The VP and I are working this issue, currently.

UPDATE

ZMA FACRep posted:

UPDATE: None of the toilets have overflowed but we don’t close the bathrooms soon then they will overflow and cause a biohazard.
At the moment tech ops is looking to bring in a bathroom trailer tonight, latest tomorrow morning. The trailer will be parked between the power services building and the facility.
The plumbing contractor has been working 18 hour days since the storm and cannot come in tonight but they will be in in the morning to pump out the holding tank and to remove the debris that is blocking the pumps. The estimate is 11am at the latest for the bathrooms to be operational.

Luckily my OT tomorrow isn’t until 1300. I hope no one needs to take a leak on the mid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Did you get to poo poo in a trailer?

Only the finest shittertrailers for the NAS. They were legitimately nicer than the control room mens room, even if that’s not a particularly high bar. Everyone knows that the pro move is to poo poo in the tech ops bathrooms downstairs though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Hearing that someone threatened to have deals if they were "forced" to recertify is a new one for me. It doesn't shock me with this person but god drat.

ZMA presently has a CPCIT that got here just before COVID, saw the level of traffic we work and said "NOPE" and has been scamming his way out of training for more than two years now. He was recently caught LIVING FULL-TIME IN THE ANNEX AND SHOWERING IN THE TECH-OPS SHOWERS DOWNSTAIRS and collecting level 12 CPC save-pay while his transfer paperwork gathers dust on some desk somewhere.

Motherfucker don't even step to me with dysfunctional facility stories. :colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Didn’t ZJX have a guy get DQed and briefly become an article 45 valet?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/florida-flight-delays-faa-issue/index.html

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ZMA ran out of CIDs and I wasn’t at work.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Since NOTAMS is down at y'all have a bunch of spare time,

What kind of computing hardware runs the ATC system now? I imagine giant old DEC mainframes in the basement of every center, but surely it's newer than that?

I'm browsing the ATC modernization bills and it says a bunch of stuff about scopes and comms but nothing about base compute.

HOST, the old system that was used at the ARTCC level was exactly as you describe, but has been replaced and removed nationwide. ERAM is the current center environment, and is a distributed system running on Xeon E3 1230s (IIRC) at the individual sector level.

I have no idea what STARS runs on (the current terminal radar hardware.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lol sick hits and not enough eligible to cover with OT?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

They were talking about something at KMIA in the reddit thread on this yesterday.

The upshot of this one is that MIA just isn’t climbing FLL departures anymore because pointouts and handoffs are simply too hard for a level 12 departure control to handle. Instead, they’re leaving the Lauderdale departures level at ten thousand feet for twenty five or thirty miles, which absolutely positively doesn’t have any knock-on effects for anybody*.

*Anybody that Miami approach gives a flying gently caress about.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

its all nice on rice posted:

Curious what OT looks like in other facilities. Coming into spring, we have almost everyone on OT every week. Even those of us on the no list. Management is starting to send out sick leave abuse letters to people who consistently call in on their OT shifts.

Our season is ~November-April, and I think I had a total of seven days off in November and December combined. I’m AWS, so I had a couple 60hr work weeks thrown in there too, where my 8hr OTs got extended (and in one case scheduled-as) to 10s.

Money’s good, but your brain stops working right after a couple weeks of that.

Coming into weather season, I’m getting an OT a pay period, or maybe a bit more than that.

Also, explaining to people that the no list doesn’t mean they can’t assign you overtime is always entertaining.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

quote:

Good morning,

Starting May 17th, the KSN site will be unable to record initials for pre-duty weather briefings. The airspace office has decided to record the initials on paper for the foreseeable future.

:okboomer:

How are we this bad at IT? We’ve been using KSN for like two weeks and it’s already going away.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Any of you losers at convention? I made it to the opening reception, but I’ve been tied up with real life stuff. I’ll be back in later, but I’ll come find goons if there are any.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

There was a NYT reporter on the atc subreddit fishing for people to tell stories a while back. I think this is their story?. Seems pretty accurate, won't fix anything.

gently caress you with a rake, Mister Lehner.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

We still have anyone at ZJX? Curious how the FAA’s “No HRT this year it’s dumb and pointless hold my beer” plan is gonna play out.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Krime posted:

Anyone headed to CFS?

I am not, but I can confirm that there is a goon going.

:ninja:

I will allow him to make his identity known or not.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s been raining in south Florida for like 48 hours now. Just to make sure everything is awful, the sewer main directly in front of ZMA just let loose.

It’s a little too on-the-nose for my usual comedic style. Super glad I’m off today.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m pretty sure the offender has retired, which is why it hasn’t happened in awhile, but our control room men’s room used to get put out of commission by giant wads of toilet paper about every other month or so.

Just the classiest people imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TangoFox posted:

Only one? We had like a dozen. And we also had people that would poo poo in the urinals.

Have. We have people that poo poo in the urinals.