Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

They show up quite well on primary radar systems (thanks for reminding me I need to do a breakdown of those ASAP.)

From the center point of view if its a smaller craft I've had instances where there wasn't any return at all and an IFR aircraft started a TCAS maneuver to miss something that was not on my radar. The larger aircraft in question *should* show up well quite far out depending on terrain obstructing the signal and the altitude of the aircraft. Since most of this is land based the signal goes up but up at an angle so the aircraft has to be higher up to be picked up by the signal the further out it is. Also one of the problems is filters on the radar. Most controllers filter out things they don't have to see in order to keep their scope neat and orderly. I don't have primaries on for any sector that *only contains* airspace FL240 and up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
The only reason formation flights are any trouble at all is sometimes trying to get the phraseology from the aircraft that we need to hear before we can allow them to get close on IFR flight plans. Often times having them go VFR flight following solves all the paperwork problem management has with formations and still allows atc to give the information to pilots they need to make important decisions on their manuvers and formations.

Working with the military pilots themselves is fairly easy aslong as they declare MARSA (military assumes responsibility for seperation of aircraft) early. Once they do that its just a matter of turning other aircraft around them which is normal every day stuff. A little bit ago we had 10 F16's fly through that wanted to break up near the end of the sector. At that point you have quite a bit of coordination with the next sector but its nothing that can't be handled.

The military has put up some large areas of unusable space which in itself is fine. The problem here comes with explaining why pilots have to wait to climb/descend/turn or why their root looks like something out of a frogger machine.

Formations and military operations add variety to the day to day operation.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

MrYenko posted:

We have a few flight schools in the area that like to do group cross countries. The majority of their students have only a basic grasp of English, and they like to pick up individual flight following, and then essentially fly formation.

:suicide:

We have a flight school here that picked up IFR flight plans then tried to fly formation without telling us. I started assigning speeds and headings in order to keep them separated until they spoke up and mentioned what they wanted to do. They remain the only speeds I've ever given to a prop ever.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
I've found 4 steps to success with military procedures,

1) approve whatever it is they ask for "Callsign, approved as requested"
2) make airplanes miss whatever mess the military is causing "Callsign turn 15 degrees left vectors for traffic/airspace/punishment vectors/confidence maneuver"
3) ???? (top secret atc jargin)
4) laugh at the next sector as you tell them what you've approved and they are to scared to modify.

These 4 steps also work for jumpers, weather requests, spinning cessnas, selling (he whos name shall not be mentioned) directly destination

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

fknlo posted:

Why the hell was a supervisor working when there was weather?

That's something you have to do under certain circumstances, but when you're getting 8 hours a month you shouldn't be doing it.

I told my supervisors it was easier to recertify them in 30 minutes than to have them keep their currency.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

Sometimes the line gets stuck on, so if you get into the habit of releasing the button then cursing the person you were just talking to, eventually you're gonna get an angry call back.

Alternatively...
"Aircraft ABC went unsuccessful do you have information?"
"Aircraft abc is (lists all information) but there seems to be something missing"
"I think you listed it all"
"For the airplane yes but I missed your number"

She is fair game if shes not in the area code right? Or was it state?

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

MrYenko posted:

SHE SOUNDS SO TINY.

Heard my first female All Nippon pilot about 4 weeks ago. I now take over a specific sector at around 9:30 (sundays) in the morning to catch the flight through every Sunday. She hasn't been back. I will continue to commandeer this sector at the same time to catch this flight through in hopes that she comes back to me.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

ColdBlooded posted:

Also, a more general question here, do you need any specific skills or personality traits in order work in this field?

Recognize a mistake you have made and then fix it without getting worked up. Also skills with interacting with other makes your job easier. I work in the states but I would imagine those two things would be required regardless of the country. As far as things that would be easier to learn... math, geography, weather and pilot lingo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/506307400 direct link to the career.