Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

MrYenko posted:

:what:: "Sunwing zero two five, say normal speed in the climb."
:v:: "Normal speed in the climb, Sunwing zero two five."
:what:: :stonklol:

I got the tape, too. It was too good not to save.

The next sector tried to get her to do it again, but the other member of the flight crew didn't let her talk on the radio, after that.

Let me help you with that sound file:

https://clyp.it/jhqi533m

The gap at :05 seconds was my favorite part, as you hear our collective brains explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
I agree, but it's much better to imagine that she was playing with us.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
I'm a union rep for our facility. Paul has been pushing this position for at least 2 years, and gave a speech last year at the Aero Club that basically highlights his intentions. I sent it out to my BUE's then, and everyone ignored me - now everyone seems really interested in it.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Still, connections or not, stay the gently caress away from ZNY or ZOA unless you want to be collecting unemployment in the future. . ZHU is a decent one apparently, but it can be hit or miss I hear. I know nothing about ZMP, but I'm guessing it is probably some care bear poo poo compared to those other three based on the flow of traffic in the states alone.

But yeah, take the advice you have read here. Specifically, join the union. It doesn't matter what your political views are about unions. You join NATCA as a trainee. One of the biggest things people are going to want to make sure you are doing is "playing the game" and being a trainee in the union is one of them. This isn't a career field where you can be a rebel in training and beat the system.

Edited that for you.

gently caress ZOA and ZNY. You will wash out. That is not a challenge, but a guarantee. If you want to go there, do it as a CPC transfer, when you've already made the big bucks and if you wash out you go to NEST, not the welfare office.

"But but but..." I had 7 classmates that went to ZOA, 1 was fired (not even offered a tower job), 4 washed out in D School and are now working at level 6 towers (Wahoo! [and no offense to anyone at a level 6 tower])- that was in the day that the FAA gave a gently caress about trying to get you placed. They don't anymore, you will just be laid off under probationary standards. The other two are still there because they have tits.

TangoFox fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 21, 2016

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

Butt Reactor posted:

Taking a tour of ZLC center this afternoon, any questions I should ask on your guys behalf?

Go to the Idaho area and ask Brian how his trip to key west was. It'll freak him the gently caress out.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

The Ferret King posted:

Who are you anyway?

I work with Yenko, same area at ZMA. I'm also the area rep for NATCA.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

Tommy 2.0 posted:

That area is full of people who wouldn't make it in FSS. Needless to say that area is a EEO nightmare. It is 6 figure welfare. That area is so bad they don't even bother to speak up for themselves when the other areas tell them to shut up and color since they aren't real controllers. Luckily for them they don't catch a fraction of SunNFun as the North Ares(Brunswick/Jekyll). The West Area deals with it a little bit, but the large disgusting absolutely loving unsafe overwhelming majority of SunNFun bullshit is dealt with by one drat sector at ZJX. We feel really bad for Jax Approach though because everything we deal with they eventually deal with. Plus all the VFR Tards that are already in their airspace. I honestly want to be a fly on the wall over there one day during that week.

So yeah, it would be interesting to see cedar key during sun n fun, but only because you would sit there like :psyduck: with what they are freaking the gently caress out about. It will literally make you angry.

Sorry you are dealing with that. I will say a few controllers came in from other facilities trying to do it the "wrong" way. They tried it the way you prefer, the way ZJX does it, and they will never go back because it JUST MAKES SENSE.

This perfectly describes the Coastal area. (Low Altitude Vero / Fort Pierce area). They work about 8% of the traffic in the building, but think they're God's gift to ATC.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

The Ferret King posted:

Keep up the hard work. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Here's a video of Matt Lauer working at JFK

Matt Lauer worked in an air traffic control tower - and no one got hurt!

Proof that tower is so easy that Matt Lauer can do it.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

The Slaughter posted:

Jesus. When I'm told "maintain .74 or less for spacing" an expletive literally comes out of my mouth. I can't imagine flying that slowly the rest of the time.
Had a medical emergency today and Seattle Approach was totally on it. "delete the speeds on the arrival, expect 16L" (16l is the good runway there), tower asked our gate, then after we rolled out just gave us our taxi instructions without us having to call ground or ramp. (I actually wish that when exiting 16L at P for spot 88 that we could just skip calling ground entirely cause... you're on bravo for like 15 feet basically already crossing it by the time they tell you "go to spot 88 and contact ramp", it's entirely pointless..

Least they didn't tell you to "expect Tango"... as so many other jets have.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

shame on an IGA posted:

Regarding climb rates, being on a mostly empty MD-88 from DFW to OKC is the most fun I've ever had as a commercial passenger.

I was recently on a mostly empty FDX DC10, 4500 FPM at 360 kts.... I think they were showing off.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

fknlo posted:

Anyone else enjoy having to get 30 miles in trail for an airport 671 miles from your boundary so the next center doesn't have to do anything? On the loving mid? gently caress you Indy.

How about loving detroit? They close the WEEDA half the year and we have a TMI to reroute them because TMU is too lazy to do it off the loving ground.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
This made me lose more faith in our TMU today. The original routing they changed them to was only 200 nm in the wrong direction.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW2038/history/20160415/0010Z/KMCO/EGKK

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DLH465/history/20160415/0005Z/KMCO/EDDF

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

fknlo posted:

We got 0 new hires last year and we're apparently getting 0 again this year. One of our areas will lose 50% of their staffing over the next 3 years due to forced retirements. I don't understand it :psyduck:

You'll get two transfers in about a month, both are really good people, one is a better controller than the other, by that I mean one is an excellent controller and one is a good controller. I don't know what area they're going to.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
NEST just changed. You get sent to BFE wherever they are shortest on staffing. It'll be a lower level facility than the one you sucked at and got washed out of. You will probably not go back to your previous facility.

So when you transfer to Orlando Tracon, and you suck, wash out, you end up at Little Rock tower, because staffing.

America.

Except C90 and N90 because no one would go there. At those facilities you return to your previous facility or get offered BFE towers/approaches.

DU (don't know if same initials) is our new guy from ZJX. Awesome dude.

@Fknlo, meanwhile I give direct JFK for the guys coming up from south America...

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I can strangle them IRL if you want?

He lied, it was "15 in trail regardless of altitude."

Here's your 8th grade math problem:
There are about 6 major airports in South Florida. All routed over over LAL for weather. (instead of 5 or 6 different routes). How much in trail off the airports does Yenko need to meet Jacksonville's asinine in trail requirement of 15 in trail regardless of altitude?

Part 2:

How do you release a C525 in front of any Boeing/Airbus product and expect him to stay 15 miles infront? lol

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
Well gently caress I killed it.

New contract seems nice. Credit hours are back, gently caress yes.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

MrYenko posted:

IIRC, these used to be permanent in your record, right? That's loving huge.

:dance:

Yeah, they were permanent and that's why I fight them so hard.

Also the EV stations are going to workgroup.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
I'm going to steal your thunder.

YENKO PASSED!!!!! Congrats to this motherfucker! :smugdon:

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
I totally forgot until just now, as I'm sitting on a flight out... Did any of you fucks go to convention? Or do they even let you out in public?

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

The Ferret King posted:

Several people from DFW approach went.

I'm in training so I'm abstaining from extra curricular stuff.

Yeah I saw a bunch of people from D10 (or is it D15, what does the stupid number mean anyways)? Seemed like pretty cool peoples.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

MrYenko posted:

The problem with New York is that it's full of New Yorkers.

Those new york values doe.

$3,000 per CPC in the area of specialization and 15% extra to train someone an hour (25% total versus 10%)

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
I went to ZSE once, the rep told me the average day was a 4,500 count. I kinda laughed, a little too loud.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
It's 24 hours after the Trumpvatization announcement and I'm already loving tired of seeing privatization memes how the world is going to end.

If anyone wants to have a serious discussion about it, I know some poo poo and I'm happy to discuss.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
So if you read a USAToday opinion article, you'll think that we're going to be giving clearances sponsored by McDonalds. Or you can read the article floating around on reuters by the FAA MA, which has some basis in fact, but it's mostly just garbage.

First and foremost, you should read the AIRR Act https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/4441/text from last year to understand the basis of the current proposed idea. Read: For now, it is just that, an idea, as until Chairman Shuster lays out a bill to the committee, this thing is just an idea. However, given he wrote the AIRR Act of 2016, it'll probably be very similar. Expect some language to reiterate that we can't strike (duh). This was just sent out to all members, it clarifies a lot of poo poo. I'm not in favor or against of privatization as an idea or talking point, there are definitely some major issues we'd have to clear up first, but I do see the premise as a foundation for something better. As it currently stands, our current ATC fiefdom is FUBAR - I mean, NEXGEN and METROPLEX are great examples of how lovely and bureaucratic this current system is. Or, look at our procurement process for new equipment. It hovers just above the verge of social security administration slow.

-----------------

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Yesterday was an eventful day for our Union and professions. At a large White House event, the President announced his proposal to move the air traffic control system to a not-for-profit, non-governmental corporation. We want to clarify some incorrect reports and misconceptions to help NATCA members understand what happened and what it ultimately means. We also want to emphasize that NATCA will continue to protect the rights and benefits of the workforce that would move to the new entity and those who would remain with the FAA, if any proposed legislation became law.

PRESIDENTIAL PROPOSAL: Yesterday, the President signed a letter to Congress that outlines the broad parameters of his plan. He did not sign a formal proposal nor any detailed legislative language. Rather, it was simply a policy statement. Based on the President’s public statements today and the policy document itself, the White House’s ATC reform proposal is similar to H.R. 4441, the Aviation Innovation, Reform, and Reauthorization Act of 2016 (AIRR Act), which was the ATC reform proposal championed by House Transportation & Infrastructure Committee Chairman Bill Shuster. NATCA supported the AIRR Act last year because it met our Union’s Four Core Principles for Reform.

NATCA POSITION As we have stated in communications, NATCA has not taken a position on any of the discussed ATC reform proposals, including the President’s proposal. The details mean everything with ATC reform. Before we can take a position on any reform proposal, we must see the specifics of that legislation, so we can evaluate whether it satisfies our Union’s principles, including protecting the rights and benefits of the ATC workforce.

WHITE HOUSE EVENT The White House event included current and former secretaries of Transportation, FAA administrators, and Members of Congress. NATCA was also invited to attend the event. Like any presidential event, it was well-covered live by the news media. Dialogue about this proposal also has been robust on social media. You can watch a White House video of the event here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/featured-videos/video/2017/06/05/president-trump-announces-air-traffic-control-reform-initiative

WAS NATCA THERE? Principal Deputy White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders incorrectly stated during the White House daily press briefing that NATCA officials attended the event and support the President’s proposal. NATCA did not attend the President’s announcement at the White House, and we cannot take a position on any reform proposal without reviewing all of the details.

MEDIA OUTREACH NATCA issued a proactive media statement about the President’s proposal that was widely picked-up by many of the television, radio, print, and web news sources that covered this announcement. We also corrected incorrect statements and responded to questions from dozens of congressional offices and media representatives.

WHAT IS NEXT? The President delivered this proposal to Congress, which already has a very busy agenda. Reform legislation will need to pass both the House and the Senate before the President can sign it into law. As we reported on June 2, much can change during this legislative process, and no one can predict when it might get a Congressional vote or what any final legislation may look like. No matter what occurs during this process, NATCA will continue to fight to protect the National Airspace System (NAS) and the men and women who safeguard it. We have met with White House staff on several occasions to ensure the Administration understands NATCA’s priorities. We also are working closely with the congressional offices engaged in drafting legislation. To get NATCA support, any legislation proposing ATC reform must, at a minimum, meet NATCA’s Four Core Principles for Reform:

Protect the men and women who ensure the safety and efficiency of the NAS in their employment relationship, including their rights and benefits;

Maintain safety and efficiency as the top priorities;

Provide a stable, predictable funding stream that adequately supports air traffic control services, staffing, hiring and training, long-term modernization, preventative maintenance, and ongoing modernization of the physical infrastructure; and

Ensure continued service to all segments of our nation’s diverse aviation community.

We have advocated for all of the following issues to be included in any change, although some would not be necessary depending on what model, if any, becomes law.

NATCA would continue as the exclusive representative of those represented today, with nationwide bargaining units. (If there were a split between operations and safety/regulatory, we would continue to represent units in both areas.)
Hybrid Labor Code - FLRA would maintain jurisdiction, but NATCA would have the negotiation rights of a private sector union, to allow NATCA to negotiate those matters covered by statute for the federal workforce but not covered by statute for private sector employees.
Dispute Resolution Process – Collective bargaining disputes would be resolved through mediation, followed by binding arbitration for issues at impasse.
Protections of FERS/CSRS, TSP, Survivor Annuity, and the ability to negotiate pensions in the case of a model outside of government.
Sick leave, annual leave, comp time, and credit hour carry-over.
Pay, compensation, and benefits remain in effect, including COLA to locality where occurring, and the ability to negotiate benefits in the case of a model outside of government.
Collective Bargaining Agreements, orders, rules, practices remain in effect until renegotiated.
Grievances, lawsuits, etc., continue in process.
Workers’ Compensation under the Federal employee program (FECA).
Whistleblower protections.
Liability protection: employee indemnification where acting in the course of their duty.
Process for movement between new entity and regulatory FAA.
Transitional Agreements to deal with the multitude of issues that would arise during any transition. Unresolved issues would be subject to the binding arbitration, dispute resolution process.
Bi-Lateral - Between labor and the new entity
Tri-Partite - Between labor, the new entity, and the safety/regulatory entity.
Labor seats on the governance board.

We will not support—and will aggressively oppose—any bill that does not protect these items, or threatens our ability to exist as a union, negotiate all work rules, pay/benefits, and participate in a fair dispute resolution process. The devil is in the details, and we intend to pore over every detail in the draft bill, when it is finally released.

HOW CAN YOU HELP? Many of you have been contacted by members of the media and some congressional offices. We ask that you please continue to forward any such contacts to the National Office. For media inquiries, please forward to Director of Communications Doug Church [Email Redacted] For legislative inquiries, please forward to Director of Government Affairs Jose Ceballos [Email Redacted]

We will continue to keep you updated as the debate continues and more details about the ATC reform process unfold.

In solidarity,

NATCA National Executive Board

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm still new to the FAA but I'm cynical as gently caress when it comes to NATCA and I have no faith that they'll be representing the best interests of the controllers and the NAS. For you guys who have been in NATCA for a while, do you think NATCA will gently caress us?

There are facilities out there that are inexperienced as facility representatives go, and there are assholes, but by in large, we will fight you for every single time, whether the person is an rear end in a top hat or not really involved, or if they're a model citizen. It doesn't matter. Why? Because one person can set precedence. They fire one person for having a LoSS and then it opens the gate for them to fire other people for the same thing. If we didn't fight for you, people would leave the union, the union would disband, and we'd start another one that would fight for you.

All I know is I've seen the colors that management wears, and they will trample you on their way up the ladder.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
The situation is becoming more and more common. As of last year they told us they would stop offering any assistance to people who wash in their first facility (especially with out certifications). So in that sense, be somewhat happy that you even got offered FSS.

ZNY/ZOA just wash people out because they don't like their personalities, it's more of a dating contest than anything else. As far as the ones you posted, Juneau and Fairbanks would be my choice. In that order. Juneau is alot like Seattle, and I liked it there. Fairbanks is pretty chill, nice summers but lovely winters.

It's really up to you if you want to flat out resign - I don't know your personal situation. For me, I'd go to FSS for a year and then transfer back when you can. From everyone I know who went to the FSS in Alaska, they all like it. They also move around a little bit between them, and they don't really work. I don't think a lawyer will help you at all. But you can ask.

This is from the ncept - these are 7 and down facilities that are short. (ranked by blue categories)

This is all faciliites ranked by Blue

I would start calling the chief at the top of that list (more importantly you want someone with a Low CPC Percentage & LOW Blue CPC+DEV Percentage), tell them you're washing out and tell them you want to work at their facility. Ask how to get there and if you can come meet them. Tell them that you need an offer by X date otherwise you're being moved to FSS in Alaska.

Then call the next one if the first one says no... etc.

TangoFox fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 16, 2017

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
If it helps I can throw you some emails of some guys at the Alaskan FSS buildings.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'll push for FD over FSS, not sure if they'll go for it though. TF, I'd appreciate any contact info you can provide!

I'm sure nothing horrible will come to posting someone's random email on SA, but here it is - Val Larsen vallarsen@hotmail.com He's at "FS4" which I think was Nome FSS, he should still be there (i went to a class two years ago with him), but he should be able to hook you up. I've also attached a photo with the FACREPs from each, reach out to them and ask them about their facility and what they think. If you act like you want to go there, they'll be pretty open with telling you info.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
Changes to the NCEPT and PPT are coming today. Some pretty major changes to training times, which will change percentages significantly in some cases. Expect an announcement at 3pm eastern from the national office.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
They sent the email out, but the PPT will be on the website when they release it.

They say they will be in the June 28 PPT release.

Also, if your level 6 tower has a 40% pass rate, gently caress off. N90s is 33%, that's a reflection of their ojt.

TangoFox fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 21, 2017

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
Students have the option to go back to the academy when they change from tower to center. Some do, some opt out.

Turning pilots in for a lack of command of the English language seems like a fun discussion to have with the FSDO

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
Did you switch to unicom? Maybe they tried after you already made the switch. Even so, it sounds like they would not have been the other aircraft anyways, even if they still had you. Our radar coverage altitudes are not uniform.

They should have called you radar contact lost, however.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
Dean Iacapelli can help you. But without elaborating I can't really help you. It depends on what your information is that you're requesting whether or not it would help you. If it's your goal to "Well they didn't respond so i'm gonna do it anyways" that doesn't really work.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
@yenko and I were thinking we should crowdfund a Goons callsign. It's $4000 :(

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

Mollymauk posted:

Well if I get through the academy I am only allowed to go to N90 so I can't take your advice even if I wanted.

:smugdon:

I guess it could be worse...

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
Holy poo poo.

At ZHU, The agency is putting out guidance that controllers must broadcast all NOTAM's that impact an a/c's approach or landing, irregardless as to whether the pilot says he has them, and/or doesn't want them.

:birddrugs:

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

The Ferret King posted:

In the terminal world where we actually vector, :smug: it's used a lot to describe any last minute effort to recover a situation that's going down the crapper fast.

That's another term we use a lot. "Going down the crapper/shitter."

And they’re characteristically 60 degrees too excessive.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

its all nice on rice posted:

I sent my area rep an email asking for clarification on what's going on. The "don't come in we'll find out more after Christmas," came from another trainee who's also A side certified. I don't mind asking questions and pressing a few buttons if it means I'll (eventually) get paid.

If you're still sitting at home - you should be asking your RVP why. Any operationally certified (A-Side and up) employee should be at work.

PM me and i'll send you some info to contact someone

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

fknlo posted:

I banged in today which obviously does nothing to my balance. I was trying to not bang in during the shutdown but feel pretty lovely today. I'm sure I'll end up testifying in front of congress or something equally dumb because of it.

That’s going to cost you your sup promotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
You guys sell any testicles/sperm yet?