Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

MrYenko posted:

Training thought of the day: I am the CRJ-200 climbing at 600ft/min.

I think the E175 gets that low when we're heavy and trying to make 36,000 but it doesn't usualllly sputter too hard til like 32k+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

fknlo posted:

I'm the CRJ-200 planning on doing .72 at the front of the line for Atlanta spacing.

Wait, what, is that a thing? I feel like if i slow from .78 to .76 for turbulence penetration speed I get annoyed inquiries as to "my speed"... and we go .80 plenty if it's smooth..

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

fknlo posted:

It's absolutely a thing. Especially with Sky West. He told us he'd be able to give us at least .74 once he leveled off.

:fuckoff:

Jesus. When I'm told "maintain .74 or less for spacing" an expletive literally comes out of my mouth. I can't imagine flying that slowly the rest of the time.
Had a medical emergency today and Seattle Approach was totally on it. "delete the speeds on the arrival, expect 16L" (16l is the good runway there), tower asked our gate, then after we rolled out just gave us our taxi instructions without us having to call ground or ramp. (I actually wish that when exiting 16L at P for spot 88 that we could just skip calling ground entirely cause... you're on bravo for like 15 feet basically already crossing it by the time they tell you "go to spot 88 and contact ramp", it's entirely pointless..

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah. Except we still followed the 250 below 10,000 ft speed limit FAR even though we could deviate for the emergency if needed, based on guidance from a chief pilot memo that basically said "yeah, don't do that." I probably would anyway if someone was doing chest compressions or something but given the severity of our incident it would have been tough to explain why we just straight up ignored the memo. Probably would have only saved like 2 minutes at most anyway.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
STARS are fun!
But our box is stupid, so you've got to watch it. The E175 logic is "I should stay as high as I possibly can for as long as I possibly can, ignore any tailwind, and maintain the descent path angle that the pilot specifies. A power idle full board descent is the most fuel efficient. Don't worry about getting any icing or anything that requires an increase in power and therefore keeps you crazy high."
One example would be this arrival:
http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1603/00582HAWKZ_C.PDF

If you do nothing, it will basically cross PIKEZ at 15,000, BREVE at 11,000, but it will then potentially level off if the distance is long enough (In practice with the descent angle it will probably keep going down slowly but it may plan to cross NETTZ at like 9200 and KWEST at 8500 or something. You may see the problem.. you now have 5 miles to get from 8500 ft to 6000 AND slow to 210 kts.. with a tailwind and icing speeds you're boned.
So, I put KWEST at a hard 7000 in the box and that makes everything muchhhh smoother and easier and probably burns an extra 25 lbs of gas.
If you're not careful, little things on the STAR like this will burn you. Gotta be smarter than the box. We also manually will change the descent angle to like 2.7 or 2.5 if we have a bad tailwind/expect ice/etc. Also I like to plan no boards on the arrival because I may end up needing them if I get hosed, and full board is fairly turbulent and uncomfortable in the back. If I plan power idle with boards out I have zero tricks left for being high/fast other than "unable the restriction plz vector thks" and that would just be embarrassing (side note: do you get annoyed when planes do this?)

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

The Ferret King posted:

Started departure sims today. Two more weeks and I'll finally begin training on the floor.

i'll be in ur airspace
killin ur doodz
pew pew motherfucker

also we need 20 left for weather
any chance direct our destination airport after that

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Advise ready to copy, I have an amendment to your routing....

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah our dispatchers vary from "great" to "you shouldn't be allowed within 5000 feet of a school, computer, or aircraft".
One dispatcher who is widely hated filed us through major purple level 9001 tstorms up to 55,000 ft near Tulsa, barely gave us any extra gas, and his explanation when called on it was "well you only have to deviate like, 100 nm and the weather is good in SLC".
I just called clearance and told them "so, just to be clear, when we take off we're going to be going north, not west, for like 100 miles." who gave us a new routing (which we still had to deviate on, but it was closer at least.)
Others are really good and will actually load you up with gas at least and file something resembling the actual flight plan. (preferable)

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Oh hey seattle based jet pilot I talk to you ZSE fuckers all the time.
Granted it's usually to assign me .72 and fly heading 270 for metering into KSEA on a goddamn sunny day because "north flow" but, you know, still always pleasant

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

its all nice on rice posted:

That's what it appears. Super stoked. A week before my birthday, too!

congrats i hope!

ZSE has been a loving mess the past few days. On 3 diff flights, I've had 15-20 min of metering, a hold over BTG, and tons of vectoring ... to go land at a completely severe clear seattle airport.
That place has.. issues.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Zochness posted:

I haven't been down to the floor this week because we were learning how to fly fake airplanes in the simulators for other trainees, but I've heard about some of the issues. I guess we take on most of the delays when other sectors/centers could be helping out more or something? Apparently this is different than the way a lot of other places run it. I hear Seattle approach can be kind of hard to work with as well. I'm still new to all this center/big hub airport stuff, sorry I can't shed more light on the subject. I'll be seeing it all firsthand soon enough.

Yeah usually you get metered from the south with whatever center controls BTG, they've told me a BTG time locks in once you pass about LKV VOR... So we fly fast til then and yeah usually are flying at .78 til 150nm before BTG when we could slow to .72 3 centers earlier if we knew what was up, so yeah I can see that...

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

fknlo posted:

Got picked up by ZDV today :toot:

I don't have a release date yet so anything can happen, but the union rep sent me an email to let me know! My area is going to be so hosed. They can hold me for a year which I'm just assuming will happen due to the staffing situation in my area. So I'll probably get a 3 month release date or something stupid just to gently caress with me on trying to sell my house and get everything set up.

I look forward to getting left high and slam dunked by you after we dodge mega cells around the front range. Congrats, goon sir.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Fun with STARS.
So, a captain was telling me about this FO that "wouldn't slow down, he just kept flying the last speed assigned on the STAR!"
(210 kts off the HAWKZ5 at KSEA landing south).
I was like, "Well, he's technically correct, even though most of us cheat in the turn because they always blow you through the loc and they usually give you 190 til bugne 170 til finka and if they give you the 070 turn toward finka at 210 you're probably going around."
Him: "No, once you're off the STAR, you can slow"
Me: "Nah, technically the 210 KTS at VASHN is to be interpreted the same as a controller telling you to maintain 210 kts. Your FO was ... technically correct. Even if nobody does it..."

I wish more people would read this...https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/afs/afs400/afs470/pbn/media/Climb_Descend_Via_FAQ.pdf Including controllers. That said, when seattle final is busy and turns you at 210 kts, well, it doesn't really work amazing at 210 kts as you're at 45 degrees of bank trying to capture the loc after they give you a super late turn if you're going that fast... so there's book answer and there's "what pilots do in the real world". And that's a tricky thing to figure out when it's 121... (see also: ORD taxiing)
I've been told many times on that STAR for example to "maintain 260 kts" when what they really mean is "maintain 260 kts, comply with the published speeds at HAWKZ (or pikez)" etc. Phraseology matters for what I'm going to do...

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
loving TMU...
I totally jinxed us today.
SJC - LAX.... hunh, no EDCT time?! no flow!? woohoo! Said to the CA, "I guess they upgraded that commodore 64 that runs their TMU".
Starting both engine "hey we have a wheels up time for you now (time now plus 25 minutes)..." of course you do, I should have never said anything. Then first check in with center, 250 kt assigned (normal for us is like 290/300) and flying 250 for 40 min :|

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

JohnClark posted:

Not quite. From the 7110.65, 3-7-2(c):
"Aircraft/vehicles must receive a clearance for each runway their route crosses. An aircraft/vehicle must have crossed a previous runway before another runway crossing clearance may be issued." You used to be able to say "Taxi to runway 36", which authorized crossing everything along the route but they got rid of that. I'm not sure precisely when though.

If this is a requirement it's busted all the time at KSEA... "Compass 5XXX on november cross runway 16C and 16L, contact ground point seven on bravo" is a pretty normal daily clearance there.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
That would explain it, then. I'll just let you experts stick to the phraseology. Speaking of phraseology, I've been trying to clean mine up a little.
It's very easy doing this day in day out to get sloppy with it. "Compass XX is six thousand for one five oh" vs "Compass XX six thousand climbing one five thousand". (Not gonna say fife). Is it noticed or appreciated at all or just annoying?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

hjp766 posted:

And I have to say that confusion my friends is why I know of no European long haul pilot who is ever visual in the US.... gently caress non IFR go-arounds...

We are explicitly told in our manuals to NOT declare visual in any circumstances unless there is no other traffic... Not because of the approach, but because of the shitstorm of the go around no longer being as published.

In my airplane, I set TPA, press toga, "go around flaps 2, pos rate, gear up. HDG. Flight level change speed 210. Flaps 1. Flaps 0." usually at that point atc is giving you instructions either back to a downwind or something else and you spin the heading knob over. It's assholes and elbows sure and I could see that you would want to avoid that after a long haul flight from europe, though... but not really too different from us calling FMS nav for the published missed, which sometimes has alts that have to be complied with, etc.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

The Ferret King posted:

Fantastic. All is according to plan

The virus is contagious? Do you all use your beards as a combined neural network or something?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Interesting to read all this from the pilot side.
Seattle has been in complete meltdown the past two days, apparently due to 'staffing' we were told, it's been BKN019 and landing north which puts them in complete and utter chaos mode. 2 hr EDCTs for everybody because... BKN019 and landing north.
What in the actual gently caress...
Yenko, I agree, burn it all down and start over...

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

its all nice on rice posted:

Welp, my coworker was told that we don't deserve to be paid while she was handing out "end the shutdown" NATCA stuff at Seatac the other day.

Just saw this but I totally kept telling those guys hey I support you, ALPA supports you. They were pretty much 100% coverage it seemed like...

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
No idea from a controller side, but from a pilot side... PDX always takes us off the STAR very early and then slam dunks us in. I've come to expect it now.
One of the few times I've said unable to a controller. They get a little happy with the Q400s and then the jets come and they don't get that "slow down, go down, stable approach" thing. Challenging for the new hires to make it work for them, but I usually can.
Also, that little drat airport right on final always gives us RA's. ALWAYS.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Apparently NY went ATC Zero again last night for a deep clean for a guy that hasn't been there for 10 days anyway.
Government!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Thinking about applying for an air safety inspector job for the airlines. But first I have to redo my entire resume in their byzanitine format. Why is the government like this? Would the whole thing just be an exercise in screaming "there's a less stupid way to do this!"?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Rincey posted:

Actually, they won't change their job application system, because if you're already frustrated at the applying-for-a-job stage, you absolutely will not last long as a Federal employee and they should've just hired someone else anyway

Yeah, I figured it was the first test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I always just kinda slow rolled with a sloweeeer lineup when they did that because taking off right into 320 wake was always nasty.