Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Why was an OM even talking to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well gently caress...

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah but did you die?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Headquarters likes to pass down the dumbest poo poo for mandatory face-to-face briefing items.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Rincey posted:

You Gotta Keep 'Em Separated

Ahhhh, there it is!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm staff these days, but management was still really cagey about letting me telework. Like, they wouldn't say don't do it, but it was never "yes! Stay home!" It was:

"Well, if you have work that can be done, telework. If not, come in or use leave. "

I'm thinking, what if I come in and don't have work that can be done? Why wouldn't I have work that could be done? I have a job don't I? What is it you think I do? Wait a second....Why don't you know what I do?!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
This site is cool too:

https://www.airportviewer.com/airport/KMDW

Other airports available as well.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

its all nice on rice posted:

They have TCAS- they can sort it out themselves.

That's basically how they've been doing it :v:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Some of them might be, but the machine is way too big and stupid for it to matter.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Us staff haven't been told anything really.

I schedule training for my facility. We're gonna have to play catch-up. Everything is so backlogged now compared to where we were in February.

And they're still sending people to us. Folks are transferring and going straight to sitting at home.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrYenko posted:

You should see it from the INSIDE.

It’s like a clown car of failure.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Sagebrush posted:

I guess you also have to memorize all the abbreviations for different airlines/callsigns too, huh?

A while back I picked up flight following from Travis AFB approach control, and my flight school has its own callsign (because we are extremely cool dudes) and the controller hesitated and asked me to confirm the three-letter version of it for whatever you guys do with it behind the scenes.

You tend to memorize the ones you need to use most often and either ask the flight crew or look it up when you encounter a new one.

Bonus points when it's a foreign carrier and the discussion devolves into further misunderstanding through the accent-barrier.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

NGC773 posted:

ATCers, when do you think AI with automate the entire Tower?

I'll let Euro or Cana-goons take this one because I think it will be sometime after the US collapses later in the year, so I'm not really sure.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The agency is trying to get remote learning set up asap to get classwork done in preparation for accommodating sims and OJT. There's a pilot program in TX to have controllers wear face shields to test whether or not they'd be helpful (?) in allowing OJT to resume.

Who the gently caress knows, I don't hear anything until the hair-brained scheme is already planned and then we just try to roll with it

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

azflyboy posted:

What are the requirements for how soon you're allowed to clear an airplane for takeoff behind another departure, assuming it's VMC, and neither airplane is "heavy"?

I've had a couple of times in the last few weeks where the tower controller at SEA will clear us for takeoff before the airplane ahead has even rotated, and since I've never seen that anywhere else, I was curious what the rules were regarding departure spacing.

Separation is determined, in this case, when you begin rolling. So, the timing should be such that you didn't start actually accelerating down the runway prior to the preceding aircraft "taking off," which is generally determined to be when their nosewheel lifts off the ground.

The strictest application of this minimum separation standard does result in it being violated fairly often. Though, with obviously little safety risk assuming the preceding aircraft is committed to lifting off. It's not really possible to perfectly apply this rule to the minimum extreme without sometimes going slightly past the cutoff. No, that doesn't make it "right," or whatever. But it happens.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Sagebrush posted:

What does this mean in the given context,

It means he's a center controller. He doesn't "do" Chapter 3. (Of the 7110.65 ATC Order)

(But he should do Chapter 5 when possible)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Sagebrush posted:

so being cleared on while the other plane is still on the ground seems like a violation in that sense...but I can see the controller thinking "there's no way this 152 will catch up to that turboprop" and saving 30 seconds.

In the US it's fine. It's based on when you start rolling down the runway in the direction of takeoff.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
DFW has picked up 7 this year that "arrived" and went straight to sitting at home.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
They are, essentially. And then some. You get your spool-up time, then you get your hours back that you previously used before training stopped. THEN you get your fully target hours back.

Or so I've heard.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Radar rooms have some flexibility to provide lots of space, separation, and ventilation to increase safety.

Which is why the FAA won't do it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
We've got the power to stop some of the spread due to travel.

We won't. But we could.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well the first few times you witness a crossover event with simultaneous parallel departures, you begin to understand the prudence of having a reminder. There's really no time to correct it if someone turns the wrong way.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

azflyboy posted:

At airports with closely spaced parallel runways, is there some kind of audible alarm that sounds if a departing airplane wanders into the departure path for another runway?

A few weeks ago at SEA, I heard a Southwest flight accidentally turn across the departure paths for the other runways (there were no departures off them, so there wasn't a collision risk), and while the tower controller was telling Southwest to turn the correct direction, it sounded like some kind of alarm was going off in the background that I don't recall ever hearing there.

There's a high pitched beeping that goes off when aircraft are predicted to be in conflict. It's a part of the STARS radar suite that ATC uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
We had that too but the guy blew his head off instead of facing consequences.

RIP to that poo poo head.