Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
I'd say it's no more stressful than working in customer service. You're in control of the situation and most find working the busy traffic the funnest part. Personally most of the stress comes from other controllers or management doing something stupid or deciding to not follow standard operating procedures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
Purely speculation but I fully believe visiting the facility is what got me selected so fast as a PUBNAT 6. Get them to know your name and they'll be more inclined to select you.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
We have one controller who takes forever with her relief briefings and stops giving any clearances once she starts it. So you'll be sitting there watching everything go to poo poo while she's explaining why she had to level this plane for some other traffic that's not traffic anymore. And you just wish she was one of those people that say "you got it" and unplug.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
There's a SHART somewhere out in Denver center I'll try and short cut people to. We've got a BULLZ arrival that has nothing Bulls related on it, but it does have BHAWK, STNLE, CUUPP. They started working on adding those fixes in 2010 and luckily they won the Stanley Cup again a few months before they activated them last year.

Edit: A controller cleared a guy direct BHAWK the other day and the guy asked if he meant direct blues

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
My union rep tried to do that a little while ago and was told he couldn't and he wasn't able to get anybody higher up to make a fuss about it either

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
A dude from my high school friended me on facebook while I was still a trainee and his profile said he was a controller at my center. I'd been there long enough to have an idea of who most controllers were and was pretty sure he wasn't one. I poked around and found out he was just one of those interns that draws maps all day or whatever they allow them to do.

He was just in CTI school and I would check on his status periodically to see where he was at in the hiring process. So he finally gets in to the academy in May and is just updating his facebook about rocking the map test and whatever like weekly. A few weeks ago I realized I hadn't seen him hanging around with the other new trainees. He didn't pass the academy.

Dude spent 4 years in school, went to the academy with people he already knew, knew people at his facility, and had access to most of the material beforehand and still couldn't pass. What are they teaching at these schools?

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
They've cancelled all our shifts up to 13:00 so far

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
I feel like you guys have way more information than I do at this point. They called me this morning to tell me not to come in and not to bother calling the facility since no one would be there. Then I heard nothing until they called me again and told me not to come in on Saturday.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
Latest union email says we're all on admin leave until October 6th. They have us volunteering at other facilities ripping strips and processing flight plans.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam

Thunderhawk posted:

So I'm going to be heading to ZAU to help rebuild our system there on site and whatnot. Do any of y'all know what kind of a circus I'll be walking into?

The only thing I've heard is that it smells terrible in there

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam

unnoticed posted:

I asked this in the pilot thread but didn't get a response...

Are controllers able to do flight following for VFR traffic in the Chicago area at the moment? I've heard they are really overworked due to the fire. I'm planning a skyline lakefront flight for this weekend and I prefer to get following over there since there tends to be a lot of traffic.

I can't tell you for sure but Chicago approach doesn't have the best history of giving flight following

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam

KodiakRS posted:

Which brings up another question. I know ORD ATC has been in manual mode recently and can't issue clearances via PDC. What I don't understand is why when you request your clearance they want your A/C type, requested final altitude, and first two fixes on your departure. Even at places that normally don't have that much automation don't ask for that. Are they sorting the strips via that kind of information and they need it to find where yours is amongst the hundreds they're dealing with?
Yes and then they're passing it to tracon who is then calling each center on the telephone so we can tag you up since Kansas City/Cleveland/Minneapolis/Indianapolis don't have any automation with Chicago tracon

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
I cannot stand that atc memes site

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
We roll with 3. First guy takes over some time after 10 until 1 am, then 1-3am, 3-5am. We just page somebody if we need them (we never do)

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
The craziest thing I've heard about the mid is that zmp takes their breaks out in their cars

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
Zau

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
Nobody on stuckmic is an actual controller

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
I'm pretty sure every TMU is taught that before they can leave for the night they have to cancel all restrictions except the JFK in trail

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
Just got our bws schedule for when we go back to normal at our center. They’re trying to keep the same staffing numbers as our 5/5 schedule which was 5-7 people, but adding back all our trainees. Some days there are no trainees and we stay at 6 people, some days we have 5 trainees on one shift and now we staff additional bodies to train them so that shift has 13 people total. Glad we’re getting back to training but I don’t think I’ve seen 13 people all year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
All my managers have called in sick for more OT shifts than any controller has