Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

CatchrNdRy posted:

I forgot where I read it, but are New York Controllers known for being the sassiest with the pilots and will punish them if they don't react correctly?

I can't speak for their interactions with pilots, but New York controllers do have a reputation of being inflexible and difficult to work with amongst other controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

So I've recently achieved 5 year veteran status in the FAA and I still have no idea what the gently caress you guys are talking about.

Any clarification to make this thread more accessible to the layman would be greatly appreciated.

ERAM is the new radar display software we have at the centers. It looks pretty much the same but is much more reliable and is going to be able to handle future developments, like ADSB and such.

It also has backlit keyboards.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

I am still hoping they change the process so that you are given a facility assignment before the academy. There are going to be so many ERRs and hardships in 3-5 years otherwise.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

I think one of the biggest obstacles of consolidated centers, beyond being a logistical nightmare, is that congressmen are going to be extremely reluctant to allow 300+ high paying jobs to leave their districts and, in many cases, go out of state.

This is a couple years old, but it shows some of the ideas that are being explored, like collocating centers with TRACONs. The new Chicago TRACON was supposed to be this and has the room, but for whatever reason they never moved Chicago Center in.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Kilonum posted:

A few of the fixes in the Boston area have sports connections
BOSOX, SSOXSS, REDSX (Boston Red Sox) FENWY (Fenway Park)
PATSS (New England Patriots) REVSS (New England Revolution) FOXBO (Foxboro Stadium, where both teams play, only heathens call it) GLLET (Gillette Stadium)
BRWNS (Boston Bruins)
CELTK (Boston Celtics)
FLUTI (Doug Flutie)
ORRRR (Bobby Orr)

and speaking of people, there's also NIMOY (as in Leonard, grew up in Boston), REVER (Paul Revere, is also near the city of Revere)

Other local references, CHWDH, HAVRD, LBSTA, PLGRM and BGDIG

One of the guys in my old area at Cleveland Center is on the airspace planning/redesign team. They put a TRESL fix right over Ann Arbor. :xd:

They also added a lot of new fixes when they moved the ORD line, among those fixes is TWIGS immediately followed by BERIS (don't remember the exact spelling)

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What is the worst airspace to bust?

A presidential TFR is pretty bad, mainly because a lot of eyes are going to be on you and also F-16(s).

Restricted airspace is bad because a lot of those are for live fire; meaning things that will negatively impact your avionics.

SaltPig fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 5, 2018

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Mollymauk posted:

Oh no my instructor is a Jordan Peterson guy.

How did that even come up?

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

What's wrong with the EAA? They lobby against privatization. That alone makes them okay by me, and I actually have to work the Oshkosh madness.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Iucounu posted:

Anyone at C90?

I know people at C90. Does not sound like they are having a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Krime posted:

C'mon... What's not to love about 6 day work weeks!?

And, from what I hear, 2+ hours on position every time and sick leave letters for all.