Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

its all nice on rice posted:

Enroute. Trying to determine if I should drive or fly down there. 2,000 miles isn't terrible, and it'll be through part of the country I've not gone through before.
They actually wanted me to start this friday because someone dropped out last minute, but that's a bit too short notice for me.

Good luck, I left the academy for enroute about two years ago. Get as many easy points as you can so you can go into the final radar evals with a little less pressure, and don't let your nerves get the best of you on the evals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Just got back from a trip to Anchorage. Anyone know anyone at the center? Such a beautiful place.

I know a few guys who spent some time there (washouts and retirees). Were you able to get out of Anchorage and see some of the scenery out of town? Anchorage is cool but it gets exponentially better after a short drive in drat near any direction.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Started enroute today. So far so good. Lots of info. Lots of reasons to LOL at stuckmic. We're already a class of 17 with a no-show. I am the old man at 31.
The facility selection process actually makes a lot of sense after they explained it- each class is given 2 choices for every student that graduates. They take 33% of the graduating number, and that's the number of "mandatory" facilities. If 9 students pass, there are 18 choices, and 3 of those choices (33% of 9) are required to be filled. The student with the highest score picks from the entire list of facilities, and it goes from there. If it gets down to the final three students, and the three mandatory facilities have not been chosen, they have to choose from the mandatory list. If no one likes the options, they can go with the opt-out. Currently, the only opt-put is San Juan. New York was one, but got removed from the list last week, apparently.
Get to go to CAMI tomorrow and take some tests!

OKC is also a very brown place.

loving hell, when I went through there was exactly 1 option for each graduate. Don't want ZNY? Sucks to be you!

Don't piss off the CAMI ladies. My class had a few that tried to screw up their data for the tests and the two guys who run the academy came in the next day and threatened to fire all of us.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Wow, cami had a much different feel when we went. The guy that gave us the intro to everything was very chill (he was filling in for the person that normally does it). Told us the tests weren't mandatory, but we had to still be there the entire time. The woman who "proctored" the tests didn't say anything.
The same person who was supposed to introduce everything to us was also supposed talk about stress management, but being out, her assistant talked to us. She gave us a 10 minute presentation then shot the poo poo for 25 minutes because we had to be there anyway.

The lady who gave us the intro told us that since most of us will fail anywy that we should hurry up and fail in order to save the agency some money. Jokes on them

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

It's non-radar eval day and some of my classmates are freaking out? More points are available from academics than non-radar.
Based on what instructors and other students have said about the evals, they're nowhere near a difficult as most of the practice problems we ran.
Enroute across the way just graduated with 8/18. All classes graduating after May 5th only get one choice per student now.

Not all nonradar evals are created equal. I got a 82 on one and a 100 on the other. The one I got 100 on was literally just like day 1 of nonradar stuff where the other eval had a ton of poo poo going on. Way more points available in radar, don't stress about nonradar too much.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Did it have something to do with their equipment for MNPS airspace, so they had to go up the coast? I can't think of any other reason

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mollymauk posted:

Thank you all, I guess I'll just take the test and roll the dice agewise. I guess I'll just do some brain age stuff since that what it seems like most of the test is equivalent to or do this thing http://www.atcprep.com/ which pointsixtyfive recommends. It turns out that job prep thing I linked to previously is a scam that just ripped off pointsixtyfive so if anyone else was thinking about that avoid it.

Has the test changed dramatically from what was in the OP? The test I signed up for is listed as 4 hours compared to the 8 hours in the OP and compared to the 2 hours 50 on pointsixtyfive (though I guess it could just be that doesn't have the breaks factored in)?

Is the BQ part of the AT-SAT or did I somehow end up skipping that, the way I've been reading this thread you took the BQ then you found out if you were able to take the AT-SAT and I did not take the BQ?

Make sure you're getting the ATSA prep, not AT-SAT prep. The AT-SAT is the old test that (as far as I know) isn't used anymore. The ATSA is the new one, although I'm not sure how many in here have experience with that one since it's fairly a fairly recent change.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I've been having a very positive experience as a GA pilot lately, mostly VFR flight following with ZMP, ZAU, ZDV, ZLC, ZSE, and ZOA. Socal tracon can suck a fat one though. VNY tower has blown me away with their service, same with LGB and BUR towers. Maybe I got lucky with those last two but VNY has been great all week.

Update on my FAA status, I resigned last month for a flying job. Got me out of FSS and back home. Had a good experience working Alaska FSS but I don't regret leaving since natca made it clear that they had no real intention on helping me get back to one of the other options. The ATM took my resignation personally and refused to have a meeting with me prior to my last day, equally, natca refused to acknowledge it too. My experience on that side of the radio has really helped me out on this side of it.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

vessbot posted:

In the AI thread I just defended the position that the goings-on today were in fact :siren:SHUTDOWN:siren:-related because OIS listed "staffing" as the reason for the LGA ground stop and the ZDC flow and one other program. But I just realized that I'm just a pilot that checks OIS, so I'd like to be corrected with more detail if necessary. What say the ATC thread?

OIS never says "staffing" is the reason for the GDPs in the NY area, they always say weather/winds. This was 100% shutdown related.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

TangoFox posted:

OIS definitely said Staffing this morning. ZDC had no peeps available to work it, and we're still feeling the effects today as people banged out on the night shifts.

Yep, as vessbot said, I agree with you. For them to put that down as the reason this time was certainly telling.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Slightly more on-topic, anyone at ZAN, A11, or any of the Anchorage-area towers, or have an academy friend from same? I need brains.

To pick. Brains to pick. Not eat.

Maybe eat.

I can give you Clint Lancaster's number if you haven't gotten that yet, he's the natca RVP up there. Take what he says with a huge grain of salt, he lied to me and other guys I worked with just to get bodies in the facilities. Pretty sure he's still technically a ZAN guy.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
New York Oceanic is ATC zero still. None of the oceanic controllers are monitoring the airspace or ATOP. ARINC is still manning the HF radios and telling the pilots who check in that there are no ATC services being provided and that the airspace is class G. Since there is no link between the east coast FAA facilities and Gander/Shanwick/Santa Maria pilots are showing up in ZMA/ZJU/ZJX with no coordination, at the wrong altitude, and on their own decided routings. Everyone is climbing to their highest able altitude and going fast, of their own accord. The pilots are able to log onto CPDLC but not getting any responses to their requests, nor are they making the proper position reports. Why the gently caress hasn't the FAA turned CPDLC off is beyond me. Why the gently caress don't the FAA have a LOA with the surrounding facilities to pick up their airspace? As a former arinc operator, trainee center controller, and pilot, this blows my loving mind that the FAA can be even this inept.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

This is absolutely not intended as a dig at you, but you weren’t around the agency long enough to fully appreciate what a failure cascade it really is. It’s fail stacked on incompetence stacked on indecision stacked on mistakes.

You're absolutely right about that, but I certainly saw plenty of examples that prove that too.

I just keep looking for a glimmer of hope that someone in management there is doing the right thing. I guess not.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

I'm off starting today, but yesterday was pretty loving busy, presumably for the holiday weekend. 4th of July is gonna spread some rona like crazy.

PHX and DFW terminals were packed this week. All of my flights were 60-90% full (except PHX-NYL, only 15 people on that one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is there a website to track airplane flight patterns over an area?

Like a heat map style "this many airplanes fly over this area" type thing?

I don't need it to be live, I just want to see generally where they fly, over a specific area.

I want to look at cities and see where planes fly over residential areas.

I'm aware of flightradar24, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for.

Not that I'm aware of, but that sounds like a neat idea. When my brother moved to the west side of Minneapolis he asked me how air traffic was going to be for them so I compared his address to the SIDS/STARS on my airline EFB. Given a known location, it's not too tough to see what the deal is.