Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MrYenko posted:

Pretty much. Secondary radar is generally overlaid with the primary radar, so you can see both simultaneously. Also, there are places with secondary radar, and no primary coverage.

I've been watching that air crash documentary show on Netflix. Apparently in the case of the Gimli Glider, ATC had to jump through hoops (in the dramatization, dragging another console into the room) to get a primary return off the plane once its transponder went out when the engines stopped. That was 30 years ago, but they're probably still using the same equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MrYenko posted:

This guy wins the :smuggo: registration award.

Pretty sure James may has 'em beat:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Given the number of times I've gotten lost driving out of DFW, I pity the man who handles the airplane end of it. Isn't it right up there among the busiest airports in the world, by some metric?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Upon further reflection, I think DFW was #1 in cargo tonnage at the turn of the last century. But any way you put it, that's a fuckton of airplanes. I wish you the best of luck with your pending gig, and will listen to the ATC radio channel next time I fly out of Love Field or DFW to hear your dulcet tones.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MrYenko posted:

Bruce Dickinson and the Iron Maiden 747 are out and about today; Call sign is Atlanta 666, if you see them. Should be well on their way to Tulsa as of right now.

:3: Garage bands on tour, the singer drives the van; nice to see the legendary rockers with their own plane still having the singer drive.

TangoFox posted:

Proof that tower is so easy that Matt Lauer can do it.
I'd like to see Ms. Vanderbilt's son try it. (He'd probably actually be pretty good, he seems like the type).

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Was I the only one cringing at RUNWAY THIRTY ONE?

Yeah, shouldn't that be "TREE WUN"? I'm not even in the flying business, and I know that ain't right. Though my dad was an Army radioman, so maybe I care more about radio terminology than the average guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Vietnamwees posted:

What exactly needs to be 'kept separated?'

In the context of this thread? Airliners.