Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
I'm possibly going on a tour of SLC tower/TRACON tomorrow, anything in particular I should ask about if I'm looking into this as a change of career? Is there any chance I would get my "home" airport once I come out of training (even if I get that far)? For background info some of you know me from that other thread as the fulltime CFI who teaches those :china: students...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Zochness posted:

I may be incorrect but as far as I know there hasn't been anyone actually put through the new placement process yet so it is still a mystery how it will work exactly. It sounds like the placement process is going to be out of the facility manager's hands, just that they can request to receive x number of new hires and it is decided by performance at the academy. Placing new off the street and college hires at higher level facilities (both SLC and the TRACON are level 10s IIRC) has been discouraged because so many were training failures in the past. I know that the TRACON has a pretty high turnover rate because they work a good amount of traffic and once you check out there you can pretty much work anywhere.

If you get a chance to meet with the air traffic manager and/or facility representative they can be good people to get to know.

I guess it's already a good thing that the guy in charge of organizing the tour is ex-ATC and one of my coworkers? I figured getting SLC straight out of the academy would be too good to be true but I'd be fine with working a nearby Class D like OGD or PVU. Also, any recommendations on resume format? I was thinking of sending one formatted like the ones I use for pilot gigs but I'm guessing the FAA would be more interested in work/school experience than flight hours...

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Zochness posted:

I don't think it will hurt.

As far as resumes are concerned, I'd just use the resume builder on the usajobs site. It has all the information they want to see and formats it nicely for you. I've heard that on previous bids all the various resumes people submitted would just be transferred over to the resume builder format anyways for uniformity.

If you end up touring let me know what you think, the TRACON has an opening right now for a few current controllers and I'm interested in applying. Never been to the Salt Lake area but I want to get out west and it looks gorgeous.

Update: just submitted my app to the FAA through their website, now for the waiting game :ohdear:

I did get to tour Tower/TRACON with our little group, and it was pretty freakin cool. First stop was Tower (which has the cab 300 feet off the ground) which gives you an amazing vista of the SLC valley and surrounding mountains. Even with the lovely weather today you could at least see 10-15sm, and you would see triple that on a good day. TRACON, although pretty nifty, convinced me that I would want to stay in visual contact with the outside world. Dark room, low lighting with a bunch of LCD screens, ehh no. The rest of the facility (mostly offices and the like) was pretty modern and nice looking, and most of the staff pretty chill and personable. If you want to get out here, do it. The Mormons kinda suck but the rest of the state doesn't.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

I've heard that Salt Lake City TRACON is deceptively difficult to work because of the lack of options. Those planes get down into the valley and they pretty much need to be set at their proper interval way ahead of time, because you can't turn them hardly anywhere due to the mountains. If you botch the sequence, there's no way out. I've heard stories of folks coming from other large TRACONs and having difficulty certifying at SLC.

One of the controllers jokingly told someone that every arrival into SLC has the potential to turn into a departure. It looks tough, seeing the controllers working one of the STARs and final approach segments on a day that wasn't even busy sounding a bit harried.

I'm liking ATC humor though, there was a sign in the break room stating that a "seagull traffic flow" management program was in place, and the door marked in the tower cab as "NOT AN EXIT...unless equipped with a parachute" :laugh:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Good to see the I'm not the only one that failed the bio assessment. I thought it was weird they wouldn't give second thought to someone who's a CFII and has a 4 year aviation degree :raise:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Personally I enjoy calling up approach/tower whenever the ATIS is whiskey.

:v: "Cessna 3SP, info for OGDEN is whiskey, you picked it up yet?"
:hehe: "yeah we got whiskey :c00l:"

In other news has anyone heard anymore about off-the-street hiring?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Tankering more fuel than you absolutely need costs fuel to lift it and bring it with you. Depending on the length of the leg, an extra pound of fuel can cost between one and eight cents of extra fuel burned. Take an extra fifteen-hundred pounds past what is legally required can easily cost $50, and maybe double that on a longer leg, which is a significant amount compared to what the airlines are making per-seat.

As was mentioned above, though, any airline that is forcing pilots to accept a flight with only minimum fuel, and then disciplines or intimidates them if they request more deserves a serious nut-punch.

On the contrary sometimes, tankering fuel SAVES money. A good example of this is in the western US, where a few smaller regional-served airfields have only one FBO that can charge up to twice as much as a hub for Jet-A. My company has the unspoken rule where if you want to take extra fuel somewhere (especially where refueling can be more expensive) then dispatch better NOT tell you "No".

Also, kmcormick9, is that regional pulling that nonsense Waterski?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

fknlo posted:

For now at least.

In work related news, our rides are terrible today and the command center is trying to put a bunch of traffic through us due to some weather over central Kansas. They'll tell us to pound sand even though we've been getting moderate to severe turbulence reports, so we're basically putting in as many PIREPS regarding the rides as we can so the airlines will tell them to gently caress off when they suggest the routes. So if you notice an abundance of PIREPS over southern Illinois, that's why! Fun stuff!

As a jumpseater watching the weather antics unfold yesterday over the Midwest, I sympathise. Does it get annoying though when a bunch of us start asking about ride conditions and start begging for flight level changes?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

drat, DRUNK doesn't exist anymore over Ted Kennedy's house

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

So when ATC gives us an altitude and speed on an RNAV arrival, and then tells us to "resume the arrival", that means to cross the next fix with the published speed/altitude, right? Because we flew the Leehy 3 into SLC the other day and were told direct Dryve and resume the arrival (after being cleared down to 16000). I asked myself and the other guy flying "so this means we cross Dryve at 15, yeah?" captain goes "yeah that sounds right but let me check" to which the controller responded "no stay at 16, expect lower from the next controller". Was I right and ATC screwed up the assignment or did I misinterpret the clearance? :shrug:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

In news of the weird, Delta just released a study regarding what they think of ATC privatization

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Yes, but what they're saying is that Canadian controllers always close the loop again with "Roger." So even if you, as a pilot, acknowledge something they said, they STILL come back and say "Roger."

There is a joke that you can get them into an infinite loop by rogering their roger (sounds dirty).

I'm gonna try this next week when we fly into Vancouver BC :devil:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Taking a tour of ZLC center this afternoon, any questions I should ask on your guys behalf?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Someone was asking when the last time ZLC had a tracker position, yeah? As far my guys know in the 1-2ish years they've been here the position is around, but no one fills it because why bother

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Pile of Kittens posted:

edit: Also this is the annual weekend that the Blue Angels tear around downtown Seattle scaring hobos and livestock alike. Do they stay low enough to not mess with the usual traffic coming in to Seatac or is everything in the air just as hosed beyond belief as the traffic on the ground?

Having spent 2+ hours in Pasco yesterday due to a groundstop in SeaTac, yeah you can say that everything got hosed for awhile.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

ZKC huh? I'll probably be talking to you later this week as we do more Eastern flying for a western based regional (:psyduck: )

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

JohnClark posted:

Very true. In the US (except for certain airports) "monitor 124.65" is used a lot less frequently, which is annoying when you try to use it and pilots don't get it. I was working a feeder sector and the final guy asked me to start having pilots monitor his frequency when I switched them over. I did, and a half-dozen airplanes later he shouts over "You gonna have these fuckin' guys monitor me or what?!" because none of them had done it, they'd all checked right in :(

Just to make sure I have this right, when controllers say "monitor XXX.xx" we should acknowledge the hand off and then not check in at all on the new frequency until that controller wants to hear from us? Cause that's what I've been doing for the last 3 years or so of my flying career.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

For a lot of controllers, the job is literally the best thing they have going on in their lives. They might be good controllers but awful people.

Having been friends with several guys in ZLC I can testify to this. Although when poo poo hits the fan sometimes they surprise you in a good way.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Controllers confuse SkyWest and Southwest all the time (especially the further east we fly at OO) yet neither of us get butthurt whenever a controller slips up. :shrug:

hjp766 posted:

Alphanumeric callsigns... Helps a heck of a lot. When will they stop passing the buck?

This. We used to use them a lot flying in and out of United hubs, but I haven’t heard any callsigns like that lately.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

fknlo posted:

Sky West is really bad about this. I was training and had 3 people plugged in on a sector with 2 SKW landing Aspen. None of us caught the wrong one taking the clearance.

Sorry, must be all the Aussies we've been hiring that are reading clearances wrong :australia:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

movax posted:

WTF was going on in / near ORD today?

The same thing that happens every summer, convective activity! :shopkeeper:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

:lol: having known personally several people that used to work in that facility I'm not surprised, it's probably why those people transferred to other ARTCCs. Well that and the fact those guys were from the south and hated the Utah cold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

I don’t know if anyone here talks to their counterparts in charge of the North Atlantic, but tell whoever was running Shanwick FIR Saturday night thanks for the 7666 squawk; it totally made my night since we were flying N666UA :rock: