Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
Good thread, thanks for putting this up and letting us know they're taking off the street applications again.

What's your schedule like? amount of days worked on/off, hours, etc. I remember reading that it was a 3 days on, 4 days off, 4 days on, 3 days off sort of schedule in the past with 12 hour shifts but I'm not sure if that was just fantasy or not when you figure in the new guys getting the worst shifts, forced into doing overtime/extra days, and whatnot. How much paid time off do you get in a year?

Is it usually possible to get assigned to one of your top choices out of academy as long as you aren't requesting very small or extremely popular facilities? For instance, if I said my top three were Austin TX (my current home) / Portland OR / Denver CO is there a good chance I'd be assigned to one of those?

The salaries were cut by 30% back in the 2000's and that's still in effect, right? I know the salaries differ a lot depending on what facility you go to and what your discipline is, but do you mind sharing the normal average progression for someone from 1-10 years in the profession?

What is the pension like? I know what is offered now most likely won't be the same 25 years from now, but I'm still curious about how it is structured.

I'm somewhat like you in that I love aviation; but when I was starting out in school, there was no way I could afford all of the flight time and training to become a commercial pilot. The military wasn't something I was interested in either. I've always felt like I work very well under stress and that my mind can juggle a lot going on at once so I figured I might make a decent ATC'er. I graduated from college in 2009, though, and there hasn't been another off the street hiring since then so I concentrated on my chosen career and kind of gave up any thought about going into this field.

I work offshore as an engineer on a 4 week on 4 week off schedule so I love the time off I get along with the pay and travel but sometimes still wish I had a job that at least had me in my own bed every night and with a somewhat normal life so it is interesting to consider applying for this now that it is opened back up. The hardest part would be starting back at 1/3 of my current salary, though. That's why I'm asking about the average salary progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
Thanks, that's all very helpful.

I understand the pay scale now after your reply. So you work your way from AG pay at a facility up through D1-D3 and then CPC, and that took you 16 months to do. Correct? (And obviously it might take more or less time to reach CPC depending on facility/yourself) Roughly how long did it take for you to reach D1, D2, D3? Those pay bands are also before the locality adjustment is added onto it, correct?

Glad to hear they raised pay back up to near pre 2006 levels.

The schedule is a little different than most jobs, but I actually like how that sounds. How much paid time off do you get in a year? Is the PTO based on seniority or flat?

I might just apply while I consider & research this more since it might take from a year to who knows how long before I get invited to go to academy (if I even do), and there might not be another off the street hiring before I turn 31 (I'm 28 now). If I decide it isn't the best path for me, I can just say no thanks later.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
How do they come up with the locality added to the pay bands? Is it part cost of living part desirability or something else?

I see that Seattle is 14% and Houston is 28%, even though Houston has a way lower cost of living. I definitely see Seattle being a lot more desirable than Houston, but when you figure Houston is a 12 level facility and it gets 28% locality... that's hard to beat.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
Didn't get through myself. Bachelor's in engineering, 5+ years work experience in my career, but no FAA related experience / CTI schooling / veteran status.

I understand there being more qualified people applying than myself (like military controllers) but failing the biographic questionnaire was surprising. Hoping it is a bug in their system; but if it isn't, oh well.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Oh, and be younger than 31, hopefully by a year or two so you have time to go through the process.

What's the exact age cutoff?

I turn 30 in August. Would I probably be fine applying again in March if they open up off the street hiring applications again?

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
I've seen the charts before but didn't realize there was a locality adjustment added on top of that. Not bad.

What is the CPC/TMC/TMS stand for? Fully certified through all 3 D bands at that facility or something else?

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
Looking forward to OTS hiring again also, even if it's a long shot to get in. I think I'd be great at the job and do well at the Academy. I'd have to get farther than the drat biographical questionnaire this time though...

I'd gladly live in Guam or Anchorage for a few years to get my foot in the door. Those are actually a lot more appealing to me than a lot of places in the US.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
I legitimately think my education, experience, and abilities would make me a good controller candidate. It is a huge let down not making it past the questionnaire though (I know most everyone else is in the same boat on the questionnaire).

Boola fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 23, 2015

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
Already have my resume and everything else nailed down.

Boola fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 23, 2015

Boola
Dec 7, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Applications now accepted until Tues, March 31!

Boo! I submitted mine Monday morning. Close it close it!

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
Same.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
Ya, the questions were mostly ridiculous but easy to assess what they wanted. I thought so anyway. I felt I answered it as best as humanly possible as well as making my resume suited for the position, writing a cover letter, and anything else I could do as well as having a degree and plenty of experience that's all very application to the profession. Still denied.

Seems like the only people getting through went to CTI schools and/or have aviation experience*.

*and even most of them didn't get through

Boola fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 11, 2015

Boola
Dec 7, 2005

Naturally Selected posted:

I thought so too, but obviously it's not at all what either of us thought :v: (the first pass/fail is JUST the BQ, no one's even seen your resume/cover letter.)

I'm thinking there was literally no way to pass the BQ unless you have direct military/aviation/CTI experience. That or they just picked people at random.

And I know they didn't see my resume. I just figured I'd just make sure everything was in place for what I could control in the small chance I got beyond the BQ.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005

fknlo posted:

Did no one consider the thing where maybe the person who designed the test was smart and set it up to weed out "picking the "obvious" answer" instead of answering truthfully? There's generally a lot of research and whatever that goes into that stuff. Not saying the BQ is good or anything, but I've seen a lot of people talking about that in regards to how they answered.

It's possible. Who knows how the test makers weighted it. I answered it more honestly last year (as someone who is confident, able, and takes responsibility for mistakes but isn't perfect) and this year as a complete boy scout. Agreed on:

MrYenko posted:

gently caress the BioQ.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
A biographical questionnaire being the determining factor - not prior experience or education or professional background or anything else - is a very lazy and bad way of weeding down the applicants no matter how intelligent the BQ makers are. Former controllers with great records not being able to pass it and get in is the prime example of this.

It is what it is though. Typical government hiring bullshit. I'm disappointed of course but can't get too upset since I already have a career that pays comparably, and I didn't spend much time or money on making my way into having a career as an ATC. I do know I'd be an excellent candidate based on my education and professional experience - not based on if I answered whether I dislike being late or working with others more but I have to move on. I'll probably be aged out by the next go round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
loving eh. I'm too old to apply anymore - just barely. I know my odds would have been low even without the bio questionnaire, but its almost funny getting disqualified for that the last two times around and then not being able to apply when they finally get rid of it because I'm 2 weeks too old.

Boola fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 6, 2016