Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Why does that pay chart completely ignore facilities less than 4 in complexity?

Is there any such thing as a part time controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I would appreciate if one of you would post a more calm screenshot of whatever you look at all the time with a little bit of explanation.

How does the pension work... forced retirement at 56 (25 years if you are 31 upon entering) but only 1.5% per year, so you'd get 37.5% of your salary in retirement? I don't know anything about pensions.

edited for clarity

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 12, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Thanks MrYenko and JohnClark!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Slaughter posted:

I don't understand how you can not want to shoot yourself in the head while being in an underground building 8 hours a day in a dark room staring at a computer screen doing a stressful job.

Some people like stress and darkness. I think I'd like the job but I would prefer a more flexible schedule.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MrYenko posted:

GOOOOOONSSSS

:unsmith:

Actual content: company call signs that make you hungry. I'll start.

HGE3 - "Hoagie Three."

What's all the stuff in the thing in the photo?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

What are the options for voice communications with aircraft that are in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean (on a route from Paris to NYC for example)?

My understanding is that there is some VHF coverage when near land and at high altitudes, but it would mostly be HF radio when far from land. Is there a minimum altitude at which HF is reliable?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

two_beer_bishes posted:

So that's actually my job, HF radio operator for the Atlantic and Caribbean. No vhf except for 200DME from Bermuda and along the coast. HF is reliable at all altitudes above 15000 feet, never worked anyone below that.

Thanks very much!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

The FAA will be hosting an online job fair for aviation career opportunities next week Wednesday, March 25th. This is after the ATC announcement opens, and that announcement closes on the 27th.

Web Job Fair registration here:
http://tinyurl.com/faawebfair

You can start setting up your USAJobs.gov profile now, even though the announcement isn't open yet.

What kind of jobs are these?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

720 channels yet for some reason many of the local frequencies back home get stepped on all the time by other traffic.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

I'd recommend not calling in. Recently, guidance changed where ATC facilities are required to forward reports of such deviations to the national office regardless of severity. It's much less common, these days, for minor transgressions to be contained entirely within the facility. It can still happen, but it's less likely.

How does not calling in help then? Or conversely, how does calling in hurt?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Thanks MrYenko and The Ferret King for the explanations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Nobody ever told me it was kinda sorta optional to call tower. I've never been asked to, thankfully, but I thought it was pretty much a situation where you better call or things will be even worse.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Someone give some memorable examples from it if you can. I'm curious.

Is it like:

Are you prone to panic in tense situations? Yes/No/Maybe
Do you consider yourself able to multi-task for long periods of time? Yes/No/Maybe
Can jet fuel melt steel beams? Yes/No/Maybe

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

fknlo posted:

Did no one consider the thing where maybe the person who designed the test was smart and set it up to weed out "picking the "obvious" answer" instead of answering truthfully? There's generally a lot of research and whatever that goes into that stuff. Not saying the BQ is good or anything, but I've seen a lot of people talking about that in regards to how they answered.

A friend of mine was in charge of hiring for a bunch of retail stores and they had a question sheet as part of the process. One of the questions was something like what would you do if you paid for an item in a vending machine, but the machine gave you two of that item. Anyone who answered that they would report it to the machine owner and give it back was not hired. I understand the thought behind it -- that the person answering that way is obviously full of poo poo, but I don't understand setting that kind of trap in the first place.

I feel frustration for those of you going through this process.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I was once flying a plane with CC as the last characters of the registration, and I would like to submit that "cha-cha" should be allowable phraseology for CC.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

It's really easy to upgrade your radios when it's someone else's money.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

loving hell.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Partially because for many existing aircraft adding one would cost as much or more than the aircraft itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Hey ATC friends, if I'm asking for VFR flight following in your charlie airspace, and my intentions are just to putz around sightseeing, what's the best way to tell you that? I have a sort of standard tour I give to people and a lot of it is in and near some charlie with very friendly and helpful approach controllers. I always feel like I'm telling them too much when they ask my intentions and I say something like, "we're gonna fly around in the suburbs then circle around downtown and then fly around near the lake." I'm usually a little more brief than that but it still feels like too much and I don't know if I sound like a rambling idiot.

edit: I should mention that my usual path takes me right over the charlie airport or close to it, so they occasionally have to give me some instructions to keep away from their traffic.