Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

mick foley forever posted:

This stuff is actually pretty cool to me. How would you know a job like this is right for you? What sorts of majors/work experience can really help you get a job in this area?

mick foley forever posted:

I'm still in college on scholarship so it's not worth it now, I was just wondering in the long term. Thanks for the advice!

To add in response, there are some colleges that do offer ATC/ATM (Air Traffic Management) as four year programs designed to prep students for work as controllers. My alma mater is one such school, and a buddy of mine is currently working air traffic graduated from our ATM program. If I recall correctly, doing one of these programs, which are certified or some such by the FAA, you can graduate and go right into working for the FAA, skipping the OKC Academy and going directly to your field assignment. I don't know if they still have to do the localized training or not, I'd have to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Got my rejection notice, too. I hope it's an error as people say, I really don't have many more options left to get into something aviation related. Well, here's to hoping.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Crunk Abortion posted:

I failed the bio too. All jokes about entitled douchebags aside, I can't help but feel like I've had my entire future pulled the gently caress out from under me. I'm 27 years old. I probably won't get another shot to play their lovely lottery to try and win a future that doesn't revolve around paycheck-to-paycheck poverty.

I know the feeling. I'll be turning 30 next month, and have been trying to get into aviation for the past 5 or 6 years. I just got a job that wasn't retail, but there's no guarantee that it'll be permanent, though.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Yessssss. ZJX is a pig they keep trying to put new lipstick on. Not to mention how many years they have been removing asbestos out of the place. What kills me, is that instead of building a new facility on the massive piece of land we are on, we just keep letting the goats (I'm dead serious...we have goats) roam around on a few acres while we work in a crap hole falling apart.

You don't want those poor goats getting mesothelioma do you? That'd be inhumane!