Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

El Mido posted:

playing through a cd level holding on to 50 rings: okay
exploring a cd level to find the robot maker: good
exploring a cd level to find the robot maker, going to the good future to listen to the chill af music, and holding on to 50 rings: godlike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c9lP4w7zrI

CowboyAndy posted:

Nack Tier:
Sonic Triple Trouble - Nack's in it.

I liked Sonic Triple Trouble quite a bit when I played it when I was younger. I honestly don't remember how well it holds up, but I remember liking it more than Sonic Blast/Chaos at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I wasn't able to get very far in the bonus stages of Triple Trouble until years later. The plane ones were fine, but the conventional side-scrolling ones were a mess to navigate and hard to see in.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Why did they name it Sonic 'Boom'?
Sonic :boom:

:yeah: Quartz Quadrant GF is my jam.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fun Fact: A scientific study found that 90% of people who play Sonic CD without the JP/PAL music are actually Adolf Hitler in disguise. The More You Know!

Sonic Mania looks great by the way

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Controversial Opinion: Both versions of Sonic CD soundtrack are cool and good. Embrace them both my friends.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Evil Eagle posted:

The only things that stick around are bombs and spike traps. All of the badniks disappear in the past as well so there's almost no reason to go to the present unless you know a faster path that can't be taken in the past like this metallic madness 2 route:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI0v49VaEeA&t=1581s

It's kind of weird that the present becomes the most dangerous place once you destroy the robot teleporters and both the past and future are clean.

I'm pretty sure I've at least seen the butterfly ones in Collision Chaos in the future.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ventana posted:

I liked Sonic Triple Trouble quite a bit when I played it when I was younger. I honestly don't remember how well it holds up, but I remember liking it more than Sonic Blast/Chaos at least.

I think it's the best of the traditional Sonic games on Game Gear just because it was designed with the Game Gear screen in mind unlike the Master System ports. Sonic Blast was the worst.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
New thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784657

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

The Antlion probably took me more time to beat than the rest of the game combined. Emulators don't capture how invisible its projectiles were. The invisibility of them also meant the method of beating that boss was completely opaque.

The Antlion crushed many of my young hopes and dreams. Gamegear may have had color, but it was blurry!

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I might give Sonic CD a replay some time. When I got Sonic Gems collection I really didn't see the appeal. It just seemed like they took the sprites from Sonic the Hedgehog and made levels at random without much flow or momentum. The only way I ever got momentum was to find the optimal route for time attack stages making each level last between 14- 34 seconds. I guess it's mainly because I didn't grow up with it and I have played A LOT of fan remixes of games (Sonic 2 Long Version, a bunch of other games at the now-dead dgemu) and it just felt more like a remix of a much better game. It had all the elements, fantastic music, Metal Sonic, the sweet sweet AMVs, awesome ideas with past/present/future but the execution seemed off.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is probably still my favourite Sonic game to this day still despite not playing it in over a decade.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
sonic cd is really great. I had it for PC as a kid and it ran slow as hell on my old 386, but I still slogged through it to get the good ending. also, it was anime as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Yeah, Sonic CD on PC recommended a 486. I've been playing a lot of Gems Collection lately. Triple Trouble is a clunky, ugly game but it was really satisfying to hammer Nack into the ground like a nail.

• Locked thread