Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Great Gray Shrike posted:

John Varley wrote a lot of really interesting sci-fi short stories that are largely unknown now, in various collections - it looks like The John Varley Reader hits most of the highlights based on it's wikipedia page.

I've read five stories by John Varley and all five of them featured pedophilia as a wonderful and magical experience for the child. I've sworn off reading anything by him as a result. For anyone curious why I kept going through five stories, I was going through all of the Hugo and Nebula winning and three of his stories won.

But just so I'm not a complete downer, I have to mention Ted Chiang who is easily the best short fiction writer in sf/fantasy today. He only writes short stories and publishes one about every two years. I think it's because he's obsessive in getting the language and structure down perfectly. As a few recommendations, his best known work is "Hell is the Absence of God" which is about dealing with loss in a world where heaven and hell are manifestly visible and "The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate" where he takes the nested story structure of the Arabian Nights stories and applies it to time travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread