Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

what was in the hut at the start of the game anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Atma posted:

The ending seems kind of abrupt I think and not really what I had planned - but then again, almost nothing in this game was what I had planned. Which is how I expected it. And how it should be.

You did Diamond Joe Biden perfectly though.

Atma
Sep 16, 2002

College Slice

Dauntasa posted:

what was in the hut at the start of the game anyway?

There was a branding iron of your 'sigil' and some other weapons. If you would have gone in it I probably would have added more things, which is what I did with pretty much every screen.

I had to adjust each screen depending on what actions were just done to make it all more interesting. For example, you had assembled a giant golem army so I had to add a demon army that guarded the fortress, or else you would end up getting to Satan with way too many party members. I had to find some way to thin the ranks.

edit: some other notes

i never expected the old man to live. i thought he would die screen one
the whip was intended to be the solution to remove the staff
johnny five aces was not important to the intended plot

Atma fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 24, 2014

Graves
Feb 10, 2002

Ask me about the time I posted a thread in GBS with a full confession on how I stabbed a man to death with my pocket knife

Atma posted:

The ending seems kind of abrupt I think and not really what I had planned - but then again, almost nothing in this game was what I had planned. Which is how I expected it. And how it should be.

Any extras to share? What had you planned?

I love these things.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Atma posted:

There was a branding iron of your 'sigil' and some other weapons. If you would have gone in it I probably would have added more things, which is what I did with pretty much every screen.

I had to adjust each screen depending on what actions were just done to make it all more interesting. For example, you had assembled a giant golem army so I had to add a demon army that guarded the fortress, or else you would end up getting to Satan with way too many party members. I had to find some way to thin the ranks.

edit: some other notes

i never expected the old man to live. i thought he would die screen one
the whip was intended to be the solution to remove the staff

What else did we miss/improve on?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Haha, it's a shame we weren't branding everyone and everything as we went along.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Atma posted:

goons prove you wrong once more.

Atma
Sep 16, 2002

College Slice

Graves posted:

Any extras to share? What had you planned?

I love these things.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. This is probably the last story-driven CYOA I will do. It really was a lot of work.

As for more extras, I really don't have much. I learned after the first one that the more prep-work I do, the more goes to waste. This may have slowed the pace a bit, but it also meant I wasted less time planning things that would never happen.

I had a general idea of what the goal was, basic 'rules' of the world, and a way in my head to get from point A to point B. I'm sure someone caught on, but the entire wasteland was actually the dried-up lake from 'adventures of satan.' There was actually a point where you walked over the hole where "Beelz" was found, but you didn't go in there. Had you, I would've presented the bones of Beelz's dead family to use in the main quest.

I tried to make the story stand on its own as much as I could, but the entire setting is based hundreds of years in the future in a post-apocalyptic world after the 'bob' events.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Atma posted:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. This is probably the last story-driven CYOA I will do. It really was a lot of work.

I'm sorry to hear that, as these are always a lot of fun.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Atma posted:

I'm sure someone caught on, but the entire wasteland was actually the dried-up lake from 'adventures of satan.' There was actually a point where you walked over the hole where "Beelz" was found, but you didn't go in there. Had you, I would've presented the bones of Beelz's dead family to use in the main quest.

:aaaaa:

Beelz was my favorite part of the trilogy. Also I'm glad you kept the old man because his sighing and staring off into space while we shat/jacked/hosed/smoked/etc was pure laffos. :golfclap:

5, goldmine, etc

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Atma posted:

There was actually a point where you walked over the hole where "Beelz" was found, but you didn't go in there. Had you, I would've presented the bones of Beelz's dead family to use in the main quest.

You are loving awesome for even attempting this. Thank you for having to put up with our bullshit for so long, and for tailoring a story around it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
This one was the best one yet! Thanks for the effort and joy you have brought to us all. Like for reals, its midterm but this story has brightened more than one day!

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
Thanks for putting up with days of people jerking off to make an awesome story despite them.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

These three threads have been the highlight of my time reading somethingawful.com for over half a decade, thanks for them :-)

Atma
Sep 16, 2002

College Slice

Bregor posted:

Also I'm glad you kept the old man because his sighing and staring off into space while we shat/jacked/hosed/smoked/etc was pure laffos. :golfclap:

It actually turned out alright because his presence allowed me to slip in world 'knowledge' that you otherwise would not have had. His survival was the biggest surprise for me over the whole thing. After a certain point I decided, "If he makes it into the fortress, he's going to be revealed to be a horseman." After how the first two went, I was positive he was going to be murdered on the first screen.

And thanks everyone for the kind words. I have a lot of fun doing these - but they wouldn't be near as fun if no one else enjoyed them. Heading to bed now. Nite GBS.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
Easily the best content to come out of the new GBS. Hail Satan.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I found adventures of satan in the SA frontpage archives, but I can't find the other one. Anybody got a link?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

1st Satan, 2nd Bob

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Bregor posted:

1st Satan, 2nd Bob

Thanks!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Thanks for the memories, atma

satan masturbating and going to the left will always be with me wherever i go. i'll be sure to say "foxy mamacita" one of these days and i'll get laid, but not likely

anyways, thanks, gonna hang myself now

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 24, 2014

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

>make another CYOA and save gbs 1.4 from being pure poo poo

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, that was fun. Thanks for the hard work, OP!

... Hail Satan!

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

Game Of The Year, every year. Good job Atma.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

NecroMonster posted:

no wait

>go back to the bar and kill johnny

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Since this was sadly the last one, what's the official name of this trilogy?

Atma if you ever change your mind and decide to do another CYOA, my vote is for The Adventures of Diamond Joe Biden.

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

cool thread imo

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

BoredDG posted:

Game Of The Year, every year. Good job Atma.

Atma posted:

This is probably the last story-driven CYOA I will do. It really was a lot of work.

Outstanding job, Atma. So well done. I understand why you wouldn't want to take it up again, but sad to read it.
Best thread of the year.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 24, 2014

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Thanks Atma, that was a lot of fun!

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

InfinEight posted:

Thanks Atma, that was a lot of fun!

Redjakk posted:

Thanks for putting up with days of people jerking off to make an awesome story despite them.

pretty much these. shame you won't make anymore. here's to hoping someone picks up the torch as hard as it may be.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

This was my first CYOA since an early Bip. Or maybe Microbe! I don't remember. I forgot how much fun these are. Thanks!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Didn't really take part more than quoting my favourite suggestions, but still had a blast. Don't make this your last!

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Thanks for another great CYOA, Atma. :)

Atma
Sep 16, 2002

College Slice
Posting from phone and don't know how to quote - but wanted to clarify I said last story driven CYOA. by that I mean no more crazy stories that I try to lead the player through. Any ones in the future would be more like bob. Holy poo poo this app is horrible to use to post with. How do I even

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
it was funny seeing Homosex and famine escaping with their gaggle of gays

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Accretionist posted:

Haha, it's a shame we weren't branding everyone and everything as we went along.

we could have branded our golems and Bob's wife

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Play that carny game where you shoot little stuffed animals forever.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
pity we didn't get the branding iron. oh the things we would have done.

thanks atma for making these things.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
I somehow missed the first two threads.

Atma, that was some good poo poo. Bravo!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Atma posted:

Posting from phone and don't know how to quote - but wanted to clarify I said last story driven CYOA. by that I mean no more crazy stories that I try to lead the player through. Any ones in the future would be more like bob. Holy poo poo this app is horrible to use to post with. How do I even

:woop:

Excellent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Atma, thank you so much for doing this, these adventures are awesome :)

• Locked thread