Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I like Keats, Yeats, and the Beats.

Well, nobody's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I like
Charles Bukowski.

There is some
good stuff
by him.

What matters most
is not
the old-style typewriter
font used in an image
but the way
you click
"like"
on Facebook.

Ezzum
Mar 13, 2014

For Now
"Aiyyo what's up,
keep it real son, count
this money, you
know what I'm
saying?

Life's a bitch
and then you
die,
that's why we get
high, because you
never know
when you're gonna
go."

-Charles Bukowski reading from his classic work, Illmatic, 1994

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Realtalk: my favorite Bukowski poem

Alone With Everybody

the flesh covers the bone
and they put a mind
in there and
sometimes a soul,
and the women break
vases against the walls
and the men drink too
much
and nobody finds the
one
but keep
looking
crawling in and out
of beds.
flesh covers
the bone and the
flesh searches
for more than
flesh.

there's no chance
at all:
we are all trapped
by a singular
fate.

nobody ever finds
the one.

the city dumps fill
the junkyards fill
the madhouses fill
the hospitals fill
the graveyards fill

nothing else
fills.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Rabbit Hill posted:

Realtalk: my favorite Bukowski poem

Well, that's just the way it is...

Sometimes when everything seems at
Its worst
When all conspires
And gnawls
And the hours, days, weeks
Years
Seem wasted –
Stretch there upon my bed
In the dark
Looking up at the ceiling
I get what many will consider an
Obnoxious thought:
It’s still nice to be Bukowski.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

Something neat I saw in a translation of Nahuatl poetry was that they included a glossary of Nahuatl terms with a few different definitions for each so that the reader was empowered to make their own translation.
That sounds cool, what's the collection called?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Does anyone know anywhere I can find a couple of Pedro Salinas' poems (preferably love poems) in English? It's not particularly for anything serious, so I'm not asking for some grand academic resource. Nor wanting to start a debate about how if I'm not reading it in Spanish I'm a poopyhead etc etc

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

jimcunningham posted:

Also suggest some poets for me. Im always depressed and usually like it that way,

Ai will blow your mind.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I recently worked my way through Heaney's Openend Ground. It was great, and Heaney has probably the most distinct and consistent 'voice' I've seen poetry. Every word is lethally accurate and precise yet completely natural.

I'm also finishing a copy of Auden's selected poems, which haven't been very satisfying - they tend to have complicated or contradictory imagery that makes them confusing for the most part (I really got it because of "Shield of Achilles"). Any advice on getting into them?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'll confess, I don't like Auden. And I'll confess further: it was reading "The Platonic Blow," the anonymous bad gay erotica written in narrative verse widely attributed to Auden, that was the final nail in the "Auden is no good" coffin for me. So I too would be interested in someone pro-Auden explaining why he's so well-regarded.

One of my favorite poets, W.S. Merwin, had Auden as a mentor and greatly respected him, so I'm sure the problem is with me and not him.

Clintodon
Oct 9, 2012
Not a philosophical heavyweight, but my favorite poet is Ogden Nash. Short, straightforward, and fun. Two of his:

Reflexions on Ice-Breaking

Candy
is dandy
But liquor
is quicker

Lines Indited with all the Depravity of Poverty

One way to be very happy is to be very rich
For then you can buy orchids by the quire and bacon by the flitch.
And yet at the same time People don’t mind if you only tip them a dime,
Because it’s very funny
But somehow if you’re rich enough you can get away with spending water like money
While if you’re not rich you can spend in one evening your salary for the year
And everybody will just stand around and jeer.
If you are rich you don’t have to think twice about buying a judge or a horse,
Or a lower instead of an upper, or a new suit, or a divorce,
And you never have to say When,
And you can sleep every morning until nine or ten,
All of which
Explains why I should like very, very much to be very, very rich.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My name's Samuel Coleridge and I'm here to rime / Killing an albatross means bad times!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

*turns hat backwards* drat, teach! Poetry is dope! You've inspired me to go to college, just like Odysseus did!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[Fade out. Fade in on snowglobe, being held by dual English/Education major at Boise State University]

"One day... I will live up to your legacy, Hilary Swank."

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Lolboise.
Anyway, motherfucking Merwin. Cannot believe that I have not read him before. The openness of his form and the utter control of his pacing are wonderful. Would provide link but phone posting.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My favorite Merwin period is serendipitously covered in the collection, The Second Four Books of Poems: 1960-1972. Everything before that was formal, everything after that has been....uh.....not as good. :downs: Seriously though, for my tastes, it was either too abstract or too direct. IMO he was at his peak in the 1960s. Even his more "word salad" poems -- a style I usually find insufferable -- really work for me.

Here's an example. God, I love this poem.

quote:

When You Go Away

When you go away the wind clicks around to the north
The painters work all day but at sundown the paint falls
Showing the black walls
The clock goes back to striking the same hour
That has no place in the years

And at night wrapped in the bed of ashes
In one breath I wake
It is the time when the beards of the dead get their growth
I remember that I am falling
That I am the reason
And that my words are the garment of what I shall never be
Like the tucked sleeve of a one-armed boy

Here's another one of my favorites (you can find more of his work online here)

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 25, 2015

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

*turns hat backwards* drat, teach! Poetry is dope! You've inspired me to go to college, just like Odysseus did!

Haha

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

A human heart posted:

That sounds cool, what's the collection called?

Can't remember, it had a pretty generic name. I think it's on Project Gutenberg though.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I bought Lyrical Ballads 1798 + 1802 and the poems are cool and good, but I especially like the essay bits where Wordsworth talks about why he feels all the contemporary poetry that isn't him and COleridge is a big steaming turd that is just copying old things that have become poetical and calling it poetry, rather than writing things that are actually good and normal people can relate to. He gets annoyed at a poem that describes a bell as "church-going".

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I bought Lyrical Ballads 1798 + 1802 and the poems are cool and good, but I especially like the essay bits where Wordsworth talks about why he feels all the contemporary poetry that isn't him and COleridge is a big steaming turd that is just copying old things that have become poetical and calling it poetry, rather than writing things that are actually good and normal people can relate to. He gets annoyed at a poem that describes a bell as "church-going".

I thought that essay was pretty BS. Wordsworth's poems violate his own standards constantly, and Wordsworth was being willfully obtuse about the "church-going bell": https://books.google.com/books?id=Q...bell%22&f=false

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The preface is pretty hilarious. "I like poor people because they're too dumb to lie to me."

Wordsworth is trash. If you really really need a dose of maudlin folsky preachyness, go read Shamus Heany.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Idk I think poetry as a whole is often seen as inaccessible, even now; so it's interesting to have a guy offer condescending over inaccessible. Alsothe poems are really nicely written so that's good.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So I am completely new to poetry and I picked up Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson which is self described as "A Novel in Verse". Anyway it is more modern poetry I guess and so doesn't really rhyme or have an obvious rhythm, but it does have line breaks and sometimes in weird places like in the middle of a sentence/thought.

So I guess my question is, should I just be reading it in my head just regular, or should I be putting mental beats in where the line breaks are. Like here is a random example I turned to:

quote:

They continued to sit. They were parked way out on the highway.

Cold night smell

coming in the windows. New moon floating white as a rib at the edge of the sky.

So there is sentence breaks but also the line break which seems even more pronounced. It is very lovely writing so far I just want to know how I should approach it so I am getting the most out of like the presentation and arrangement I guess. Sorry if this is a totally dumb question y'all.

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

Rabbit Hill posted:

I'll confess, I don't like Auden. And I'll confess further: it was reading "The Platonic Blow," the anonymous bad gay erotica written in narrative verse widely attributed to Auden, that was the final nail in the "Auden is no good" coffin for me. So I too would be interested in someone pro-Auden explaining why he's so well-regarded.

One of my favorite poets, W.S. Merwin, had Auden as a mentor and greatly respected him, so I'm sure the problem is with me and not him.

One of Auden's biggest strengths, in my opinion, is his ability to evoke "epic themes" and all their associated emotions without succumbing to bombast or dishonesty. "Spain" is a particularly good example of this-- it's a poem about martial heroism, certainly, but it looks war in the face and it tells no pretty lies.

Also, while the Platonic Blow may not be *sexy*, exactly, I do think it's pretty hilarious. So maybe you might like it more if you approach it as quasi-parody?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
A Difficult Horse by Bill Herbert

The horse is staring out to sea
from a sloping field not far
out of Aberdeen. I watch it from
the train to Dundee.
It is stationary, staring for
the minute I have it in view.
It is a small brown horse,
possibly even a pony.
The sea is calm. The horse
looks like an old fisherman,
possibly even an old fish.
It’s difficult to imagine it ever
moving. It’s difficult to know
what it is thinking.
It is a difficult horse.

Synovexh001
Apr 25, 2015
I'm working on publishing a murder-mystery that I wrote a couple of years ago, and poetry is an important plot element- it's horror-fantasy, and some characters practice a science where they implant language patterns into peoples' memory and use it to control their minds and harm them.
I've got a couple I can share, but they're not edited so it's still pretty rough;
WARNING;
SPOILERS

bonus points if you can find the hidden messages!
:boom:

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Guy A. Person posted:

So I am completely new to poetry and I picked up Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson which is self described as "A Novel in Verse". Anyway it is more modern poetry I guess and so doesn't really rhyme or have an obvious rhythm, but it does have line breaks and sometimes in weird places like in the middle of a sentence/thought.

So I guess my question is, should I just be reading it in my head just regular, or should I be putting mental beats in where the line breaks are. Like here is a random example I turned to:

So there is sentence breaks but also the line break which seems even more pronounced. It is very lovely writing so far I just want to know how I should approach it so I am getting the most out of like the presentation and arrangement I guess. Sorry if this is a totally dumb question y'all.

I am really new to poetry also and I struggle to appreciate it in the same way I think other people do; I can't get the traditional novel way of thinking out of my head. That said, I've been told that punctuation and sentence structure is important, it is there for a reason and should help guide your reading. Try reading it out loud as well.

I'm reading Edith Sitwell currently and enjoying her. Here's a good one:

quote:

Four In The Morning

Cried the navy-blue ghost
Of Mr. Belaker
The allegro Negro cocktail-shaker,
"Why did the cock crow,
Why am I lost,
Down the endless road to Infinity toss'd?
The tropical leaves are whispering white
As water; I race the wind in my flight.
The white lace houses are carried away
By the tide; far out they float and sway.
White is the nursemaid on the parade.
Is she real, as she flirts with me unafraid?
I raced through the leaves as white as water...
Ghostly, flowed over the nursemaid, caught her,
Left her...edging the far-off sand
Is the foam of the sirens' Metropole and Grand;
And along the parade I am blown and lost,
Down the endless road to Infinity toss'd.
The guinea-fowl-plumaged houses sleep...
On one, I saw the lone grass weep,
Where only the whimpering greyhound wind
Chased me, raced me, for what it could find."
And there in the black and furry boughs
How slowly, coldly, old Time grows,
Where the pigeons smelling of gingerbread,
And the spectacled owls so deeply read,
And the sweet ring-doves of curded milk
Watch the Infanta's gown of silk
In the ghost-room tall where the governante
Gesticulates lente and walks andante.
'Madam, Princesses must be obedient;
For a medicine now becomes expedient--
Of five ingredients--a diapente,
Said the governante, fading lente...
In at the window then looked he,
The navy-blue ghost of Mr. Belaker,
The allegro Negro cocktail-shaker--
And his flattened face like the moon saw she--
Rhinoceros-black (a flowing sea!).

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 21, 2015

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I wanted to post this in the Walt Whitman thread, but it turns out that has been archived after all 5 posts in it so I'm going to post this here: I accidentally watched Steve ROggenbuck (who is bad) read a bunch of lines of Walt WHitman (Who is good) and now I'm reading loads of Walt Whitman, which is good. Here's To A Common Prostitute, which isn't as good as Song of Myself, but is much shorter:

Be composed - be at ease with me - I am Walt Whitman, liberal and lusty as Nature,
Not till the sun excludes you do I exclude you,
Not till the waters refuse to glisten for you and the leaves to rustle for you, do my words refuse to glisten and rustle for you.

My girl I appoint with you an appointment, I charge you that you make preparation to be worthy to meet me,
And I charge you to be patient and perfect till I come.

Till then I salute you with a significant look that you do not forget me.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I bought and read an issue of the Columbia poetry review and it was pretty cool. There were three poems that dealt with barney and betty hill that I really liked, maybe I will post them later.

Anyone know of some good poetry annuals/whatever?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I've always loved Anna Akhmatova's poetry. The Requiem collection is a really amazing piece written, if I remember right, when her son was in prison under Stalin.

Vladimir Mayakovsky is another Russian whose writing strikes something in me. To His Beloved Self, the Author Dedicates These Lines and Past One O’Clock, which he used in part in his suicide note, are two of the ones that have stuck with me most. He had a really interesting life as part of the Futurist movement and then under the Soviets.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The first book of poetry I was ever curious enough to buy was 1948 by Andy Croft, its a book length detective plot in Onegin stanza's. Its set in an alternate history 1948 in a Britain ruled by a coaltion of Labour and the Communist Party. Its a reworking of Nineteen Eighty Four, most of the characters are from the book and the protagonist is Winston Smith though this time as a police officer. Apart from Orwell another inspiration is Ealing comedy, so a bit Noir and a bit farcical. I don't think there's much in the book for readers whom aren't familiar with either really, it probably just be a story with a weird rhyming scheme. Worth checking out though if your familiar with both though.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

JOhn Ashberry Mother Fuckers!!!!!!

unao
Dec 12, 2013
I googled to see if i could find english translations of a poet i rwally like, so i could share it.
I found this
http://jacket2.org/commentary/rodrigo-lira
Interview with the translator and a translated poen at the end

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I've been reading an English translation of a collection of poems by Xu Lizhi a former FoxConn worker whom committed suicide last year. Its very bleak for example

“On My Deathbed”

我想再看一眼大海,目睹我半生的泪水有多汪洋
I want to take another look at the ocean, behold the vastness of tears from half a lifetime

我想再爬一爬高高的山头,试着把丢失的灵魂喊回来
I want to climb another mountain, try to call back the soul that I’ve lost

我还想摸一摸天空,碰一碰那抹轻轻的蓝
I want to touch the sky, feel that blueness so light

可是这些我都办不到了,我就要离开这个世界了
But I can’t do any of this, so I’m leaving this world

所有听说过我的人们啊
Everyone who’s heard of me

不必为我的离开感到惊讶
Shouldn’t be surprised at my leaving

更不必叹息,或者悲伤
Even less should you sigh or grieve

我来时很好,去时,也很好
I was fine when I came, and fine when I left.

-- Xu Lizhi, 30 September 2014

Really brings home the horror of workplace conditions in a depressing large number of factories.

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016

CestMoi posted:

I wanted to post this in the Walt Whitman thread, but it turns out that has been archived after all 5 posts in it so I'm going to post this here: I accidentally watched Steve ROggenbuck (who is bad)

What don't you like about Roggenbuck?

Should we mention rad intro books for the OP? Making Your Own Days by Kenneth Koch is the best.

quote:

Much of the difficulty of reading poetry comes from unfamiliarity, from not being able to take the suggestions the poem gives as to how to read it. It’s possible, too, to be misdirected by teachers and critics, so that poems are read in an unprofitable way. Common mistaken ideas about how to read poetry include the Hidden Meaning assumption, which directs one to more or less ignore the surface of the poem in a quest for some elusive and momentous significance that the poet has buried amid the words and music. This idea probably comes from the fact that, being moved by a poem, one assumes an important religious, philosophical, or historical cause for being moved and tries to find it hidden someplace in the poem; whereas in fact a few words rightly placed can be moving if they catch a moment of life — almost any moment; if, amidst all the blather and babble of imprecise, uncertain language in which we live, there is something better, some undeniable little beautiful bit of light. This is given to us, of course, by the music and the words, not something that they conceal. Important, and at first unseeable, meanings may be in poems as they may be in other experiences, but there is no way to find them except by having the experiences. It's not the nature of poems to be clues, or collections of clues, so to read them as if they were is not to properly experience them, thus to be lost. Many people talking about poetry are lost, and even more people have given up reading poetry because they knew they were lost and didn’t like it. A poem may turn out to be a deep and complex experience, but the experience begins by responding to the language of poetry in front of you, not by detective work that puts that response aside.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't usually go in for poetry but Jim Carrol's stuff is quite excellent.

quote:

The Tenth Try

I owe a lot to someone
I've watch her tear
fall like an icarus
it was like a star
which is the sun
who is me.

it won't be long
that I will look up
and feel the sounds again
that i pretend sometimes
that they are gone forever.

the steps are simple
to walk in this universe
you must feel each one distinct
as if someone had died
their faces designating each constellation.

you realise
what connects that time you spent
lying on the lawn you remember
is not so long before
and, say, the beauty of the statue
you saw last monday an angel there
her lips hung over the garden, the stone garden

that connection
is not so easy finding it
in one's mind
and yet the solution
is but a clue... the garden, the stone garden...
to all you have meant to me
and why this is so.

e: also, Pablo Neruda

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

iccyelf posted:

What don't you like about Roggenbuck?

I find his badness inhibits my enjoyment of him.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
For contemporary poet recommendations, BBC Scotland just selected their first Poet In Residence Rachel McCrum. She's one of my favourite poets from the Edinburgh spoken word scene. Also she has a voice that's a mixture of honey and melted butter to listen to.

Radio Orkney 1977 (click for the audio version)

The sea, trailing whiteghost hair, shivers home in waves,
to a population low voiced, modest but not set in stone.

A surge of Old Scotia from south and west that foams and waves
incomers in, those seeking meaning not yet quite begun.

The join of Balfour's whitewashed roof braves
the ossuary absent of bones, the fingers of the setting sun.

A groundswell sweet and low as local airwaves
flies like the crow between dry walls, standing stones.

A surge along the lengths of waves,
Maxwell's sums still standing strong.

The island living new tradition. Soundwaves
longer than light and nothing's set in stone.

No tick needed, nothin missing here. Lambs shiver and brave
standing tall. The rise and fall of speech. Nothing's set in stone.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Pandering chicken-scratches if you ask me, and I love Scotland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016

CestMoi posted:

I find his badness inhibits my enjoyment of him.

Okay, let me try again. What makes him so bad?

• Locked thread