Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I have always loved reading and knew I wanted to study literature since I was a teenager. I loved the classics but could never get into poetry. Although I always excelled at reading in High School I just thought I never "got" poetry. It wasn't until I took an introductory poetry class in college that I really fell in love with it. I started reading lots of Blake, Tennyson, Burns, and Wordsworth. I spent basically my entire Junior year of college writing about Philip Larkin and since my college has the largest collection of W.B. Yeats work I ended up doing a lot of research papers about him.

I haven't been reading a lot lately, mostly because I'm overseas and for some reason I don't like to read poetry on my e-reader, but when I get back I think I'm going to start collecting books. I was visiting my brother-in-law's home last summer and his family has a big ranch with this guesthouse filled with antiques, and I happened upon a collection of all of Shakespeare's works in these tiny books that were published in the mid 19th century and I've been hounding him about letting me buy them.

I think the most important advice I ever got was from my intro poetry professor who suggested that I only read poetry in quiet, private places so that I am able to read it out loud. That single piece of advice made all the difference between enjoying poetry and just reading it because it was assigned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread