Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Anybody have opinions on ee cummings? Growing up I didn't really appreciate poetry, I thought it was kind of dumb - but I ran into ee cummings' "anyone lived in a pretty how town" in a college english class which really helped me "get it". I think because the syntactical weirdness helped me disengage the analytical part of my brain and "feel" the poem.

Essentially, this:

ee cummings posted:

since feeling is first
who pays any attention
to the syntax of things
will never wholly kiss you;

wholly to be a fool
while Spring is in the world

my blood approves,
and kisses are better fate
than wisdom
lady i swear by all flowers. Don't cry
—the best gesture of my brain is less than
your eyelids' flutter which says

we are for each other: then
laugh, leaning back in my arms
for life's not a paragraph

And death i think is no parenthesis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

s7indicate3 posted:

Any love for my boy E.E. Cummings?? His unique poetic stylings inspired a generation of American poets. Granted, his stuff might appear inaccessible to someone unfamiliar with his oeuvre but I really urge goons to give it a good shot. As long as you keep yourself from trying to 'master' his poems you'll find that they are really quite beautiful. I'll post one I particularly like. Something about it brought me back to the innocence of my childhood.

EDIT: The formatting gets messed on the forum so I'll just link it here http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/176657

ee cummings owns. He's definitely my favorite poet, both for his more abstract works:

And his more traditional (if still a little oddball) poetry:

ee cummings posted:

If freckles were lovely, and day was night,
And measles were nice and a lie warn’t a lie,
Life would be delight,—
But things couldn’t go right
For in such a sad plight
I wouldn’t be I.

If earth was heaven and now was hence,
And past was present, and false was true,
There might be some sense
But I’d be in suspense