Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Hey Poetry Megathread. The only real poetry ive read for pleasure (not to say some of the stuff ive read in school was bad but never grabbed me) was a book of the collected works of Frank O'Hara.

Anyone have any recommendations for stuff similar to it.

might as well quote out one of the poems since it will be nice for others who havent read him to see

POEM posted:

To be idiomatic in a vacuum,
it is a shining thing! I

see it, it's like being inside
a bird. Where do you live,

are you sick?
I am breathing the pure sphere

of loneliness and it is sating.
Do you know young Rene Rilke?

He is a rose, he is together, all
together, like a wind tunnel,

and the rest of us are testing
our wings, our straining struts.

My favorite by him is definitely Second Avenue which is pretty long and I would link to it but a cursory google didnt show a link so sorry.

AllanGordon fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Iamblikhos posted:

You should check out William Carlos Williams, going by your example. O'Hara is considered to belong to the New York School, but of the poets associated with it the closest one to him is probably James Schyler.

Thanks for the rec.

wikipedia posted:

Williams is strongly associated with the American modernist movement in literature and saw his poetic project as a distinctly American one; he sought to renew language through the fresh, raw idiom that grew out of America's cultural and social heterogeneity, at the same time freeing it from what he saw as the worn-out language of British and European culture. In 1920, this project took shape in Contact, a periodical launched by Williams and fellow writer Robert McAlmon: "The two editors sought American cultural renewal in the local condition in clear opposition to the internationalists—Pound, The Little Review, and the Baroness."

sounds extremely good to me will def check out.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
I've been reading some alexander blok and he is good

here is a poem

night street the lantern posted:

Night, streets, the lantern, the drugstore,
The meaningless and dusky light.
A quarter of the century more --
All fall the same into your sight!

You died – as it was before –
You have the former way to start: