Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Poutling posted:

I think the key is to find the right translator who can capture not only the direct translation but the spirit of the poem. Translating itself is an art form.
John Ashbery's translations of Rimbaud are absolutely wonderful. I never really understood Illuminations until I saw what Ashbery did with it. It takes a great poet to translate great poetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sharkie posted:

Do you like Ashberry's own poems? I also really like his translation of Illuminations but don't know where to start with his poetry, though it seems like I'd be interested in it.
I love them, but they are some of the least accessible poems I've ever read. Self Portrait in a Convex Mirror took at least three readings and some extra background material on Ashbery before it started opening up to me. Once it did, I was blown away and genuinely moved and couldn't stop reading it for weeks. It's a drat puzzle box that only rewards the very patient, but rewards them richly.

I think that's why he's so controversial: a lot of people have only done surface readings and think it's pretentious crap.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The preface is pretty hilarious. "I like poor people because they're too dumb to lie to me."

Wordsworth is trash. If you really really need a dose of maudlin folsky preachyness, go read Shamus Heany.

• Locked thread