Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Robert Frost is the Thomas Kinkade of american poetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

What are peoples opinions in regards to translations of poetry. I always have been wary of anything that was not originally written in English because poetry hinges on word choice. Especially so if you have a situation where a word does not really have a companion word in the language your translating to.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Sharkie posted:

Eh, I'm not his biggest fan or anything, but there's usually a bit more going on there than he's popularly given credit for. I wouldn't say Design is particularly Kinkadesque.

I decided maybe I have not given Mr. Frost his fair shake, so I bought a small collection of some of his poems. It is The Road Not Taken and Other Poems put out by Dover Thrift Editions. If you wanted to join me on my journey of rediscovering and finding out why Frost is a considered a darling of American poetry you can buy it here from Amazon.

I just got my copy in today so expect some insightful commentary on it soon! :dukedog:

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 17, 2014

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I just could not wait and dove right on in!

As we can see in my picture below, the first poem is the well known The Road Not Taken. Here we can see Frost's mastery of the english words in conveying a very simple image and storyline. Even though it is super simple most peopple gently caress this poem up. Key lines include:

Then took the other, as just as fair

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:

and

took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Most people read this and just go, oh he chose the one most have not chosen and it really affected him in a philosophical way. Those people did not really read the poem very closely at all. Look at the lines I picked out. He clearly states that both were the same and just as trodden upon as the other. What he is saying is that he will lie later on in life and say that he took the road (an actual or metaphoricle) most people have not taken and how it directly changed him. Once again we can really say that Frost is a true poet worthy to be read again and again.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

One more before I run off. Sorry for the mess, I needed to eat something before heading off and well you know what the say: Time is money.

Here we have Old Man's Winter Night, Patch Of Old Snow , and In The Home Stretch.

Old Man's Winter Night deals in themes of isolation and death. The old man goes about his house not remembering why he is doing so and even worse not even remembering who he was! He eventually goes outside, looks at the moon and decides he was a light for no one but himself. He accepts his isolation and attempts sleep. One can easily imply that the old man dies in his sleep. Frost talks about how no one can fill anyplace (house,countryside, etc.) on thier own thus driving home the theme of isolation. Poor old man.

Patch of Old Snow is about a patch of old snow. A perfect picture of it, you can almost see it in ones own mind. I got shivers thinking about trying to reach out my hand and touching it.

In The Home Stretch. Ever felt not at home in your own home? This starts with a women(!possible feminism trigger warning you guys!) who is pretty unhappy about where she is at that point of time. She imagines washing dish after dish as she grows old and withers away. She moved with her husband to the country and it does not feel like hom to her. She does not admit that she is unhappy with the house. The husband is also slightly apprehensive about thier new home. The look for little ways to feel better, like pointing out how the stove fits just so snuggly. In the end the feel isolated and abandoned in the wilderness left to thier fate. But its not an ending nor is it a begginning for them, but rather as the wife has put it, there are only middles. Really makes you think.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Sharkie posted:

I know this is sarcasm, but your criticism seems to be "this poem just describes a thing" so I guess you're just not a fan of Imagism. For what it's worth, the text of the poem is:

A Patch of Old Snow

There's a patch of old snow in a corner
That I should have guessed
Was a blow-away paper the rain
Had brought to rest.

It is speckled with grime as if
Small print overspread it,
The news of a day I've forgotten --
If I ever read it.

And I don't think you need to be a professional critic to see, as I said, "there's... a bit more going on there." The poem isn't "about" a patch of snow, it's about not recognizing the value of something until after it's been destroyed. The grime, and the fact that the snow is just a "patch," is what brings his attention to the snow. But this grime is the "small print" that makes it resemble a newspaper, bringing "news of a day" the speaker has forgotten, or perhaps not even read -- the grime is what makes it "readable" as a metaphorical object. What day could this be referring to? Perhaps the time in which the snow covered everything...which the speaker doesn't describe, perhaps because he didn't notice it (read it)?

The speaker only seems to notice the snow when it's mostly gone and ruined.

Like I said, I'm not his biggest fan, and I'm not claiming this is some revelatory masterpiece, but I don't think my judgement was particularly controversial, either.

I am never sarcastic nor do I joke. Thank you for your insight into this one. I never once pondered upon the transmutable and temporal nature that is easily observable in nature. I really hope you will follow along with me and help guide me when I stray as I rediscover Robert Frost. And boy am I glad your here because I need some help with the next section.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I had a hard time understanding these two so I went through them and made some notes. This way I could pick them apart piece by piece and really dig deep into Frost's works here. I could be a little off base so if anyone who has a better grasp on Mr. Frost's complex works could please let me know just where I strayed I would be very thankful. Thank you in gameboyadvanced!

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

In other poetry news, I also read former New Jersey poet laureate and also former living person Amiri Baraka. While he is no Robert Frost, I really do appreciate Baraka's in your face confrontational attitude. The fact that he was even made a poet laureate for any place is amazing in and of itself and I am really not surprised that some people were a little uneasy about that.

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 18, 2014

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

CestMoi posted:

Re; translations, I read The Conference of the Birds by Farid Attar pretty recently and while it was really good and had some great footnotes explaining every cultural/religious reference, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was just missing something by not being a 12th century Persian Sufi mystic. It just loses a lot of the punch that really great poems have when you are separated by however many degrees from the actual circumstances the poem was written in.

Who's translation/copy did you read? I have this on my poo poo to read list and I figure the more footnotes and explanations I get the better because I'm not a whirling dervish.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Only the worst human beings write in a book. You are dead to me if you then donate that book or resell it.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

dogcrash truther posted:

Hmm. This is just my opinion, but I think you don't understand poetry at all and shouldn't post in this thread, if you think that a poem needs to say something unusual or new to be good.

Sorry, forgot to actually put the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] in my post. If I ever real post about Frost please kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I bought and read an issue of the Columbia poetry review and it was pretty cool. There were three poems that dealt with barney and betty hill that I really liked, maybe I will post them later.

Anyone know of some good poetry annuals/whatever?

• Locked thread