Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

FactsAreUseless posted:

Billy Collins is the Robert Frost of poetry.

This is as apt a judgment as any I've seen.

Edit: Please excuse the triple post.

Iamblikhos fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

AllanGordon posted:

Hey Poetry Megathread. The only real poetry ive read for pleasure (not to say some of the stuff ive read in school was bad but never grabbed me) was a book of the collected works of Frank O'Hara.

Anyone have any recommendations for stuff similar to it.

You should check out William Carlos Williams, going by your example. O'Hara is considered to belong to the New York School, but of the poets associated with it the closest one to him is probably James Schyler.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Poutling posted:

That list is pretty western-centric with 2 Japanese haiku guys thrown in at the end. I would add at least Pablo Neruda and Rainer Maria Rilke to the list, and maybe Cavafy and Czeslaw Milosz.

While I personally dislike Neruda a great deal, he is indeed accessible, moreso than any of the other three. These are all Western poets, though :)

I wish I knew more about non-Western poetry. The only ones I know and would recommend are Kabir and Nazim Hikmet.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

AllanGordon posted:

sounds extremely good to me will def check out.

William Carlos Williams

The rose is obsolete
but each petal ends in
an edge, the double facet
cementing the grooved
columns of air--The edge
cuts without cutting
meets--nothing--renews
itself in metal or porcelain--

whither? It ends--

But if it ends
the start is begun
so that to engage roses
becomes a geometry--

Sharper, neater, more cutting
figured in majolica--
the broken plate
glazed with a rose

Somewhere the sense
makes copper roses
steel roses--

The rose carried weight of love
but love is at an end--of roses

It is at the edge of the
petal that love waits

Crisp, worked to defeat
laboredness--fragile
plucked, moist, half-raised
cold, precise, touching

What

The place between the petal's
edge and the

From the petal's edge a line starts
that being of steel
infinitely fine, infinitely
rigid penetrates
the Milky Way
without contact--lifting
from it--neither hanging
nor pushing--

The fragility of the flower
unbruised
penetrates space

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

dogcrash truther posted:

My mistake. I thought you had dumb teenager contrarian opinions of Robert Frost, instead of the sophisticated perspective you displayed by refraining from using sarcasm tags. Anyway, Robert Frost was a great American poet whose poems use a mastery of the American vernacular to deploy multiple layers of irony to reflect a complex, penetrating perspective in which human beings' strivings for significance and comfort are punctured by harsh, but necessary, interruptions from an uncaring natural world. Peace out.

Robert Frost is good for introducing schoolchildren to poetry. While he is indeed able to command the American vernacular within his limited lyrical range, I cannot see anyting like a "complex, penetrating perspective" in his work. In fact, I see just the opposite, along with transparently conscious strain to produce something like a "complex, penetrating perspective". The most charitable thing to say is that his work predisposes his more sophisticated readers to see depth and complexity that's not intrinsic to his poetry but a reflection of their own depth and complexity.

dogcrash truther posted:

like almost all neoclassical poetry that isn't satire, that means it's self-satisfied and dull.

That's a bit harsh, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Matoi Ryuko posted:

The whole time I was reading it, I was howling with laughter!

Leave this sanctuary of the arts, BYOB troll!

Ignore him, Fallorn. Your literary preferences deserve as much respect as anyone else's.

• Locked thread