Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Stravinsky posted:

I am never sarcastic nor do I joke. Thank you for your insight into this one. I never once pondered upon the transmutable and temporal nature that is easily observable in nature. I really hope you will follow along with me and help guide me when I stray as I rediscover Robert Frost. And boy am I glad your here because I need some help with the next section.

Hmm. This is just my opinion, but I think you don't understand poetry at all and shouldn't post in this thread, if you think that a poem needs to say something unusual or new to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Stravinsky posted:

Sorry, forgot to actually put the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] in my post. If I ever real post about Frost please kill me.

My mistake. I thought you had dumb teenager contrarian opinions of Robert Frost, instead of the sophisticated perspective you displayed by refraining from using sarcasm tags. Anyway, Robert Frost was a great American poet whose poems use a mastery of the American vernacular to deploy multiple layers of irony to reflect a complex, penetrating perspective in which human beings' strivings for significance and comfort are punctured by harsh, but necessary, interruptions from an uncaring natural world. Peace out.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

CestMoi posted:

I'm reading the Odyssey translated by Alexander Pope and I am annoyed at the fact that words don't rhyme anymore also I hate the horrible sentences you get by messing with syntax to keep a rhyme scheme going gently caress old poems.

Yeah, I really hate that translation. In general translations of classical texts got way better when free-er verse allowed translators a lot more latitude in preserving the spirit and intention of the original. Pope's Odyssey is exactly that: an attempt to make it a poem by Pope, not to render it with the author's "intent" in mind, and like almost all neoclassical poetry that isn't satire, that means it's self-satisfied and dull. Much like my posting.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

*turns hat backwards* drat, teach! Poetry is dope! You've inspired me to go to college, just like Odysseus did!

Haha

• Locked thread