Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So I am completely new to poetry and I picked up Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson which is self described as "A Novel in Verse". Anyway it is more modern poetry I guess and so doesn't really rhyme or have an obvious rhythm, but it does have line breaks and sometimes in weird places like in the middle of a sentence/thought.

So I guess my question is, should I just be reading it in my head just regular, or should I be putting mental beats in where the line breaks are. Like here is a random example I turned to:

quote:

They continued to sit. They were parked way out on the highway.

Cold night smell

coming in the windows. New moon floating white as a rib at the edge of the sky.

So there is sentence breaks but also the line break which seems even more pronounced. It is very lovely writing so far I just want to know how I should approach it so I am getting the most out of like the presentation and arrangement I guess. Sorry if this is a totally dumb question y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread