Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Stravinsky posted:

Only the worst human beings write in a book. You are dead to me if you then donate that book or resell it.

It used to be a thing where people would lend Coleridge their books and he would write all over them and give them back and then the people would be like "ooh I got Coleridge marginalia!!"

I want that to be a thing again. Crowd-sourcing user highlights and stuff on Kindle is really lame right now,* but it could be so good. (IMO.)

* as far as I can tell, people only ever highlight sentences that sound vaguely to them like they're kinda... sorta... fancy-ish. Like they use some basic rhetorical scheme or something. But important passages explaining the themes of the book? Nah.

Hey also re: translation chat Walter Benjamin has a thing where he says the truth of a poem comes out in the translation.

FactsAreUseless posted:

So, prose poetry. What do you think of it? Does it count as "real" poetry? I'm quite fond of prose poetry, since I think poetry's defining characteristic isn't its rhythm or structure, but its density of thought and content.
I like Jakobson's definition. Of the six functions of language, the poetic function is the one oriented towards the message itself. Poetry generally understands that language is a cognitive thing, so when you play with the message itself, you're playing with thinking. It's not the content, the information itself, that matters, but the "how" you think about the content. Kinda like how Ebert says something like a movie isn't what it is about, but how it is about it. movies can be poetry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread