Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I spent a semester translating Beowulf, and came away with tremendous respect for the folks who undertake such things. I haven't seen a translation that really captures the feeling of the Old English, though I do like Seamus Heaney's version.

Cognitive scientist Douglas Hofstadter has written a number of interesting pieces on translation. I haven't yet read Le Ton beau de Marot, which explicitly deals with the translation of poetry, but several of his other books examine the subject as well. In Surfaces and Essences, his recent work on analogy, Hofstadter contends that translation can't be a purely mechanical exercise because of the fundamental differences in the mechanics of languages. Everyday phrases in one language may have no counterpart in another, so a certain degree of creativity is necessary to fill in the gaps with analogous constructs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Dr Scoofles posted:

Yes, totally! I always read out loud when I come to Middle English, it's just to cool not to. My mum is Scottish but I was raised in England, however, when I read ME poetry I sound super Scottish. Old English is totally on my 'to do' list. I have a book called From Old English to Standard English which was recommended to me as a good teach yourself guide, but what I actually need to do is sit down and actually read some OE. I don't suppose you OE types can recommend some good introductory poetry?
The Exeter Book riddles are a nice introduction. They're short little verses of the "what am I?" variety, whose intended answers range from mundane objects to hilarious double entendres:

quote:

Ic eom wunderlicu wiht, wifum on hyhte
neahbuendum nyt; nęgum scežže
burgsittendra, nymthe bonan anum.
Stažol min is steapheah, stonde ic on bedde
neošan ruh nathwęr. Nežeš hwilum
ful cyrtenu ceorles dohtor
modwlonc meowle, žęt heo on mec gripe
ręseš mec on reodne, reafath min heafod
fegeš mec on fęsten. Felež sona
mines gemotes, seo že mec nearwaš
wif wundenlocc. Węt biš žęt eage.

quote:

(I am a wondrous creature, a joy to women,
useful to neighbors; not any citizens
do I injure, except my slayer.
Very high is my foundation. I stand in a bed,
hair underneath somewhere. Sometimes ventures
a fully beautiful churl's daughter,
licentious maid, that she grabs onto me,
rushes me to the redness, ravages my head,
fixes me in confinement. She soon feels
my meeting, she who forced me in,
the curly-haired woman. Wet is her eye.)
Answer: An onion. Get your mind out of the gutter.

The introductory OE class that I took used Hasenfratz and Jambeck's Reading Old English as its text, which I've since learned is riddled with errors. The method it uses for teaching OE grammar is much friendlier than the more scholarly works, however, so it could still be a useful book when cross-referenced with a more comprehensive book like Mitchell and Robinson's Guide To Old English or Klaeber's Beowulf.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've got a used copy of the Riverside Chaucer that's been written in by about 8 different people. When I saw that it had been resold in Alabama and California (I live near Vancouver), I had to get it.

Whoever wrote in pink made sure to note that there were 29 PPL on the pilgrimage.

• Locked thread