Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Carteret posted:

There is always the chance it could blow. Thanks for talking me off the ledge.

CoC and Warhammer LCG never really interested me/looked fun, so I guess there's a chance I may just avoid it on principle.

Word is that it is Eric Lang's project so if you dislike CoC and WH:I you will dislike this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Paper Kaiju posted:

I'm a pretty big fan of Warhammer: Invasion, myself; it's the only LCG that I've bought more than the core set for, so far.

What about it turns you off? I've noticed that it seems to get no discussion in this thread.

I dunno if the Fantasy setting just doesn't grab me, or if watching it played at Worlds just turned me off. Pardon the Vassal-ism, but it just doesn't look "fun" next to Netrunner or Star Wars :shrug:

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Carteret posted:

I dunno if the Fantasy setting just doesn't grab me, or if watching it played at Worlds just turned me off. Pardon the Vassal-ism, but it just doesn't look "fun" next to Netrunner or Star Wars :shrug:

I have played it a number of times and I agree it is not really fun compared to the newer LCGs. Most the time it felt like a more complex version of MTG (without really being deeper) with YGO style combos.
I have heard CoC is also really combo based so I have a feeling this might end up the same way.

It might turn out ok but I'd mostly only play to check out the Orkz.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I've very nearly completed the set for Warhammer Invasion; I just have the last block to go. It is a great game. I would say it's probably the most accessible to a new player out of the LCGs, which goes a long way toward how much an exposure a game I own gets, since much of my gaming is with family versus my nerdier friends.

That being said, most of the other LCGs are deeper, or at the very least have a very different focus on how resources are allocated (LOTR LCG isn't very comparable to the rest, and Netrunner is it's very own distinctive beast). The factions are flavorful and the mechanics reflect that very well, now that I'm finishing up the set it has a very MTG Cube Format feel to it. Dwarfs are tough, Orcs smash things, Skaven have a bunch of rats, etc.

I managed to make a Dwarf deck that can't be beat by the other decks I've made, but loses to decking itself almost everytime. It focuses on mitigating damage plus damage resistant dwarfs, but can't pump out enough to finish an enemy. I'm going to have to tweak it.

Zombie #246 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 7, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Ok, goons, you have convinced me and made me buy the base set for LoTR. The moment I saw the huge box and the tiny amount of space the cards occupied I knew I was going to regret the decision. Curse my lack of self-control.

Are the starter decks a viable alternative or should I dive into deckbuilding directly?

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, goons, you have convinced me and made me buy the base set for LoTR. The moment I saw the huge box and the tiny amount of space the cards occupied I knew I was going to regret the decision. Curse my lack of self-control.

Are the starter decks a viable alternative or should I dive into deckbuilding directly?

For the first quest, yes. You can beat it with any mono sphere deck, though some decks have an easier time based on the encounter deck. Don't start with mono-tactics.

Don't let the empty space fool you, there's a lot of game there.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

http://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/beorns-path-part-1-core-set-deck-building/

http://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/beorns-path-part-5-building-a-second-core-set-deck/

These two decks are basically the best decks that can be made from the core set. If you buy the Mirkwood packs, the blog has guides on how to expand into that, if you buy Under Hill and Over Hill it comes with 2 decklists that combine it with Core.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 7, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

mongol posted:

I'm not worried about what's in the box. I'm worried about what isn't. 300€ worth of expansions

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

TheLawinator posted:

AHHHH! This was up for a couple moments on their site.

Oh boy, something else for me to procrastinate adding to the OP. Might also explain why they stopped Warhammer: Invasion and continued CoC. Not that I have any sales data, but I thought W:I was the more popular of the two. As long as I get an Imperial Guard faction at some point I'll happily play this one.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Oh boy, something else for me to procrastinate adding to the OP. Might also explain why they stopped Warhammer: Invasion

Is this actually the case?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

Is this actually the case?

No idea. Maybe they were making room for Diskwars or something. I just thought it was weird how suddenly it ended.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Played a whole bunch of 2 player LOTR today. We managed to get through Journey Down the Anduin, Escape from Dol Goldur, and the Hunt for Gollum quests (we had completed the tutorial mission previously before losing six straight games of Journey Down the Anduin). It got especially close in Hunt for Gollum, as even one more turn would have cost me my last hero, and there were no other clue cards in play besides mine. Eyown and Frodo both died the turn before (Couldn't use Frodo's ability as I was at 47 threat, and I couldn't let Theodred get hit because he had the clue).

Quick question: If a guarded card comes into play and is followed by another guarded card, the guarded card breaks off and I play cards to guard both of them, correct? Having them both end up being guarded by Hunters from Mordor was terrifying, although fortunately the false lead treachery came up immediately after.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

Quick question: If a guarded card comes into play and is followed by another guarded card, the guarded card breaks off and I play cards to guard both of them, correct?

Correct. I believe if the card to attach to the guarded card has Surge, then the next card also gets attached to Guarded, though I can't find anything to back that up.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
In LotR LCG does "Active location" also refer to quest card if you don't have a location?
Such as for Lorien Guide: "After Lorien Guide commits to a quest place 1 progress token on the active location."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

mongol posted:

For the first quest, yes. You can beat it with any mono sphere deck, though some decks have an easier time based on the encounter deck. Don't start with mono-tactics.

So mono-tactics is hard mode? That may explain why the second quest of the core box is kicking my teeth in so hard.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ChiTownEddie posted:

In LotR LCG does "Active location" also refer to quest card if you don't have a location?
Such as for Lorien Guide: "After Lorien Guide commits to a quest place 1 progress token on the active location."

I believe that's correct.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

jivjov posted:

So mono-tactics is hard mode? That may explain why the second quest of the core box is kicking my teeth in so hard.

Absolutely. Mono tactics has almost no questing ability. You can kill stuff, but locations piling up in the staging area will drive you threat to 50 pretty fast.

The best core-only mono-deck combo in my view is spirit/leadership. One person on spirit, questing, while leadership kills stuff.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

ChiTownEddie posted:

Pander posted:

I believe that's correct.

No, that is incorrect. Lorien Guide does not place a progress token if there isn't an active location.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

mongol posted:

No, that is incorrect. Lorien Guide does not place a progress token if there isn't an active location.

It does work the other way around though, right? Like Legolas says to put tokens on the current quest, but if there's an active location they go there instead.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Nibble posted:

It does work the other way around though, right? Like Legolas says to put tokens on the current quest, but if there's an active location they go there instead.

Correct.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Nibble posted:

Crap that's what I was thinking of. Yeah, active location is active location.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
The 3rd AP has been announced... http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4690

Also based on this review of the quests, I think I need to get this new cycle next. http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2014/03/11/voice-of-isengard-quests-review/

If I wasn't gone for the next, like, 3 weeks I'd probably finish up everything I have hehe.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

ChiTownEddie posted:

The 3rd AP has been announced... http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4690

Also based on this review of the quests, I think I need to get this new cycle next. http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2014/03/11/voice-of-isengard-quests-review/

If I wasn't gone for the next, like, 3 weeks I'd probably finish up everything I have hehe.

Oh, more eagle cards. Gwaihir should make an eagle deck much more viable solo.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Finally managed to get LoTR on the table. Lore/Leadership decks, we almost got ended by a double Necromancer's Reach on turn 1, but that gave us time to kill the spider and put a generous helping of tokens on the mission card. It was easy sailing from there, helped by pretty tame Shadow cards.

My friend went "this is easy". Then we moved onto the second mission.

Welp.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Fat Samurai posted:

Finally managed to get LoTR on the table. Lore/Leadership decks, we almost got ended by a double Necromancer's Reach on turn 1, but that gave us time to kill the spider and put a generous helping of tokens on the mission card. It was easy sailing from there, helped by pretty tame Shadow cards.

Welp.

Grab "Conflict at the Carrock"

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Welp.

If you aren't already using them, I'd suggest you go with Dunhere and Eyown in that quest for whoever is using Spirit. Second phase needs a lot of questing and there's only optional engagements so they're pretty awesome (Also gently caress Goblin Snipers). Also try to get Northern Trackers out ASAP.

If you're having trouble with the hill troll though, use heroes that have low threat on them and focus on getting an ally army or a forest snare + blocker into play before taking him on.

I like to go Leadership/Spirit with Eyown, Dunhere and Theodred, and focus on getting a questing army out. Having the other deck be Tactics/Lore means they have some resource issues so I give a resource to the other guy whenever possible with Theodred. Usually ends up going on Thalin.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 14, 2014

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Or have a tactics deck coupled with Spirit deck, if you're going single sphere. Gimli with citadel pate vs. the Hill Troll is a good strategy. And if you don't get that, you might have a feint or two to use while you kill it.
Dunhere is great for the second phase, though.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
So my buddy and I both own all of the currently out cards, except for those in the Saga expansions. We mostly play multiplayer with 3+ players and some adventures have really wrecked our faces because of the relatively high number of people. Do you guys think us combining our encounter decks will make the game more or less challenging?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Have you tried Easy mode? Before you completely shatter the game experience, I'd try this first.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Carteret posted:

Have you tried Easy mode? Before you completely shatter the game experience, I'd try this first.

We have. It's just playing with so many people can make the encounter deck run through pretty quick which I'm not sure is unbalancing the quests.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
AEG had a page up earlier today announcing Doomtown:Reloaded, which was quickly restricted. Nothing that said exacatly what it was, but lots of speculation that they're releasing Doomtown as a LCG-like format. I'm pretty excited for that, if true.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Epi Lepi posted:

We have. It's just playing with so many people can make the encounter deck run through pretty quick which I'm not sure is unbalancing the quests.

My understanding is that it gets easier with multiple people, not harder. 2 players is the 'balanced' level.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

AEG had a page up earlier today announcing Doomtown:Reloaded, which was quickly restricted. Nothing that said exacatly what it was, but lots of speculation that they're releasing Doomtown as a LCG-like format. I'm pretty excited for that, if true.

Page 36 of the GAMA pamplet has more infi.
http://gamatradeshow.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=t4b1tH6RF-k%3d&tabid=2644

Does say "Everything you need to play in one box". Perhaps a release like the Burning Sands reskin.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Doomtown as an LCG would be brilliant.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
There's some more specific info on the doomtown Facebook page.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I hope AEG learns the lesson of FFG with regards to promos and keeps them as alternate art. The worst part of L5R for me was those drat gencon promos or boxtoppers. I love the idea of a deluxe core set as well. Sounds gimmicky but those are things that can help get a game on the table and spur interest.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The most important part being that Storyline Events will be making a comeback too. Those are a heap of fun.

The only bad thing about the announcement is that while the game remains the same, the card backs have been changed. I sort of understand why - this is Gomorra 10 years on and most of the original characters are dead or gone - but still.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jedit posted:

The only bad thing about the announcement is that while the game remains the same, the card backs have been changed.

I think they can make nicer backs. While I'm not a huge fan of Star Wars LCG or Netrunner's backs I'd love to see something on par with Lord of the Rings card backs. The old card back was nice but not iconic to me, and mixing new and old cards you'd undoubtedly need opaque sleeves due to color differences.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How is AEG as a company? Like, are their games actually good, do they have long term development, do they have timely releases, etc.?

On another topic entirely, since its own thread is probably dead, is there a good Mage Wars deckbuilder somewhere? CardgameDB gave up on theirs, which is disappointing, but I would hate to do all this math and whatnot myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

How is AEG as a company? Like, are their games actually good, do they have long term development, do they have timely releases, etc.?

AEG used to be better with their release schedule, but in recent years it seems they've had some issues with the release of L5R stuff. I never had any issues when I was playing but I know the current base set was/is/has been delayed which caused them to send out PDFs so people could proxy cards at tournaments where it was supposed to be legal. I'm not currently in the scene but that's my understanding of what's happening now. I don't remember anything like that happening in the 8 or so years I played L5R though, and I don't recall anything from Nightfall or Thunderstone getting similar delays. Maybe someone else can comment on their RPG products.

As for long term development I think they're probably better than FFG is, as they utilize their player base quite a bit more and have a player design team. That said, they allow their employees to participate in tournaments and win prizes(though in my experience they usually give them to second place), I think the most important thing will be how the storyline gets implemented. Much like L5R the best prizes were the storyline ones and from a creative aspect listening to how the last tournament went down is one of the most interesting tournaments I've ever heard about given that the participants all had a fair amount of interest in controlling the storyline. If they can continue that aspect of the game, it could be pretty cool. The only downside of this is that AEG tends to balance in arcs, meaning that X faction will win until meta cards drop to hard counter it, then faction Z becomes popular. Given that they're starting with only 4 factions I'm hoping that the balance level will be ok. I'm hoping they stay far away from deck stacking and self milling stuff, which was what ruined the game by the end and leave the poker hands as a fairly random method of determining outcomes.