Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

I don't remember if I read it here or on the FFG forums but someone said that for the LotR LCG, they end up announcing all the APs in the cycle before any of them are actually available. If this is true, do they release all the APs at once?

This is true for pretty much every LCG. We know months ahead of time some of the cards in each pack, and that's about it. Sadly, as stated above, we don't get them all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Taran_Wanderer posted:

If by "board game style" you mean "construct all the decks yourself and purchase as little as possible," yeah, Game of Thrones is probably your best bet. It also has the advantage of supporting up to four players right out of the box. For the best balance, I'd suggest buying two Core Sets and building the decks along the lines listed in this thread. That thread also has suggested decks for the two other Houses if you find yourself liking the game and want to add some variety.

Star wars is much better for paying less because the deckbuilding rules reduce pressure to buy things fot that one card. Also its newer so there are fewer cards.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Carteret posted:

This is true for pretty much every LCG. We know months ahead of time some of the cards in each pack, and that's about it. Sadly, as stated above, we don't get them all at once.

Ugh this wait is gonna kill me, I love Lothlorien related stuff so all the Silvan cards they teased have me super excited.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Is there a site as useful for a beginning GoT player as Tales from the Cards is for new LOTR players?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Is there a site as useful for a beginning GoT player as Tales from the Cards is for new LOTR players?

No, but there's a great deal of stuff on cardgamedb about AGOT. There's a decent thead here and there's a article series called "First Tilt" you can search for on the site.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The third Shadowfist LCG Kickstarter just went live. If you haven't tried it before, $150 gets you the base game, the extension and the first six expansions plus two Action Packs with duplicates of staple cards for deckbuilding. It's a really good game - I did an LP of it once, though you'll need Archives to read it.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Jedit posted:

The third Shadowfist LCG Kickstarter just went live. If you haven't tried it before, $150 gets you the base game, the extension and the first six expansions plus two Action Packs with duplicates of staple cards for deckbuilding. It's a really good game - I did an LP of it once, though you'll need Archives to read it.

I assume thats "The Sergeant" one? This game looks interesting, have you got a link to your LP?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PrinnySquadron posted:

I assume thats "The Sergeant" one? This game looks interesting, have you got a link to your LP?

I'm afraid not, because I don't have Archives. If you're searching it's titled "Welcome to the Secret War".

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Jedit posted:

I'm afraid not, because I don't have Archives. If you're searching it's titled "Welcome to the Secret War".

Unfortunately the Search was unable to find it :(

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Does the Lord of the Rings LCG do the same thing as Netrunner and stick you with 1-2 copies of clutch cards so you have to buy multiple core sets?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yes, Gandalf and a few good cards from each sphere (most notably Unexpected Courage) don't come with 3 copies, so you'd need to get 3 core sets if you wanted to have 3 copies of every good card. Although, since you're playing against scenario decks and not other people's decks it's not as important to have the best possible deck.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

Yes, Gandalf and a few good cards from each sphere (most notably Unexpected Courage) don't come with 3 copies, so you'd need to get 3 core sets if you wanted to have 3 copies of every good card. Although, since you're playing against scenario decks and not other people's decks it's not as important to have the best possible deck.

Gandalf actually comes with four copies, so you only need a second Core if you want to play with more than one deck.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

PrinnySquadron posted:

Should be this thread here, so long as you have archives.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

InShaneee posted:

Thanks! The forums search was being distinctly unhelpful.

EDIT: Shadowfist seems cool: I'll probably back that kickstarter.

PrinnySquadron fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 3, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

InShaneee posted:

Thanks for finding that, not having Archives I couldn't. Hopefully all the photos still work; they're pretty much essential to tracking what's going on.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Jedit posted:

Thanks for finding that, not having Archives I couldn't. Hopefully all the photos still work; they're pretty much essential to tracking what's going on.

Yeah, I can confirm they work fine.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

sirtommygunn posted:

You can find a lot of folks on ebay who bought cores and are piecing out the cards. It was worth it to me to buy from a dude who was selling one of each of the cards that you only get two of in the core set but I haven't seen anyone selling sets of the 1/core cards for less than an actual core set.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm teaching Netrunner to my girlfriend and while she's enjoying it, both thematically and gameplay-wise, she's a bit overwhelmed by it. Can't blame her, especially since it's her first card game.

Now, she's been eyeing the AGoT a bit, purely because the theme is very appealing to her. THisgot me to think a bit of a side trip to a more "classical" LCG than Netrunner might not be a bad idea, to help her get to grips with some general LCG/CCG concepts quicker, as well as slightly bring me down a peg, as I discover quirks of a new system too.

I though of steering her either to LotR or Star Wars, as they seem somewhat appropriate on first glance. LotR is cooperative, so instead of feeling trashed again and again we could just laugh at how the game keeps handing our asses to us. Star Wars on the other hand, just looks generally more approachable, with pod-based deckbuilding and whatnot.

Still, the AGoT brand is a huge draw, but I think I heard it's very comboish? My gut feeling is to subtly push propose LotR because of its co-op nature, but since she's a big fan of the franchise, I wonder if AGoT with some small cardpool would work fine as a more casual game? Or is it a much better idea to go with one of the games mentioned above?

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm teaching Netrunner to my girlfriend and while she's enjoying it, both thematically and gameplay-wise, she's a bit overwhelmed by it. Can't blame her, especially since it's her first card game.

Now, she's been eyeing the AGoT a bit, purely because the theme is very appealing to her. THisgot me to think a bit of a side trip to a more "classical" LCG than Netrunner might not be a bad idea, to help her get to grips with some general LCG/CCG concepts quicker, as well as slightly bring me down a peg, as I discover quirks of a new system too.

I though of steering her either to LotR or Star Wars, as they seem somewhat appropriate on first glance. LotR is cooperative, so instead of feeling trashed again and again we could just laugh at how the game keeps handing our asses to us. Star Wars on the other hand, just looks generally more approachable, with pod-based deckbuilding and whatnot.

Still, the AGoT brand is a huge draw, but I think I heard it's very comboish? My gut feeling is to subtly push propose LotR because of its co-op nature, but since she's a big fan of the franchise, I wonder if AGoT with some small cardpool would work fine as a more casual game? Or is it a much better idea to go with one of the games mentioned above?

It sounds like you just want a game to relax and spend some quality time with your girlfriend so I wouldn't worry about discovering game breaking combos and what not. Just pop open the core box and go at it!

That being said, spend a bit of quality time with her watching Fantasy Flight's video tutorials on their YouTube channel. They're well done and will give you a general idea of how each of the games play. Pick whichever one tickles both of your fancies.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FantasyFlightStudio

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, I just wanna make sure we're taking a step back in complexity. Perceived complexity, really - I think Netrunner's emphasis on properly reading the (rather complex) board state is somewhat stressful, emphasises skill difference and in effect makes her prone to tilting. I just want to make sure I'm heading into more typical "play dudes face-up and cast counterspell" territory.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

Yeah, I just wanna make sure we're taking a step back in complexity. Perceived complexity, really - I think Netrunner's emphasis on properly reading the (rather complex) board state is somewhat stressful, emphasises skill difference and in effect makes her prone to tilting. I just want to make sure I'm heading into more typical "play dudes face-up and cast counterspell" territory.

I wouldn't go as far as saying AGoT is a step back in complexity. AGoT has action windows and crazy temporary card states (moribound) that, if played "correctly" make poo poo pretty hard to follow. LoTR is awesome since you aren't playing competitively, you can both work together on understanding the game state, while lamenting the fact that any card interaction or ability almost assuredly fucks you over.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Carteret posted:

I wouldn't go as far as saying AGoT is a step back in complexity. AGoT has action windows and crazy temporary card states (moribound) that, if played "correctly" make poo poo pretty hard to follow. LoTR is awesome since you aren't playing competitively, you can both work together on understanding the game state, while lamenting the fact that any card interaction or ability almost assuredly fucks you over.

This. Netrunner is a much easier game than agot, mechanically speaking.

Star Wars is probably the best game for 'taking a step back in complexity'.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
If she's not a card game veteran and you are, I'd personally recommend holding off on AGoT. In my experience it doesn't really handle a skill gap all that well given that characters die at the drop of a hat (and when they die, they're dead for good). And I definitely wouldn't call it a "casual" game. Games take a fairly long time (honestly a little longer than I'd like for what it is) and it's still pretty high up on the complexity side.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I'm actually a little miffed at a friend who is a pretty decent gamer, and a strong Netrunner player gets MEGA pissed off at the GoT game, and we're just loving around with the core set. Valar Morghulis just existing makes him upset, and man he was pissed in a 3 player game when he discovered that being in first place means #2 and 3 start ganing up on you.

AGoT is its won brand of fun, but holy poo poo if you like a sense of permanence to your cards look elsewhere. You have to be able to get over dudes dying and "whoops, dude killed from loving nowhere." Much like Diplomacy, this game needs a separation of your ego from the game.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Feeple posted:

I'm actually a little miffed at a friend who is a pretty decent gamer, and a strong Netrunner player gets MEGA pissed off at the GoT game, and we're just loving around with the core set. Valar Morghulis just existing makes him upset, and man he was pissed in a 3 player game when he discovered that being in first place means #2 and 3 start ganing up on you.

AGoT is its won brand of fun, but holy poo poo if you like a sense of permanence to your cards look elsewhere. You have to be able to get over dudes dying and "whoops, dude killed from loving nowhere." Much like Diplomacy, this game needs a separation of your ego from the game.

I love it because of this. I've only played a handful of games with friends, using a bunch of decks I was recommended to be balanced, and it's amazing how quickly your plans have to change due to everyone becoming dead. One guy I played with got super frustrated by this, and it made me sad that he wasn't liking it as much as the rest of us.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So, has anyone discussed Warhammer 40,000: Conquest yet? I want to get excited (a long history with LCG's combined with once upon a time working for GW before I got 'a proper job') but GW has such a history of 'getting involved' (read: loving up) anyone else using their IP, that I don't dare to dream yet.

Will it be good? Who the gently caress knows!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shockeh posted:

So, has anyone discussed Warhammer 40,000: Conquest yet? I want to get excited (a long history with LCG's combined with once upon a time working for GW before I got 'a proper job') but GW has such a history of 'getting involved' (read: loving up) anyone else using their IP, that I don't dare to dream yet.

Will it be good? Who the gently caress knows!

So far as I know, Games Workshop have never interfered with FFG's licensed products beyond insisting they stay accurate to the IP.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
To those curious about AGOT and Valar Morghulis, here's here's a short FAQ about it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Which is why this particular combo is so much fun:

Stack deck with 3x The Red Viper, and 3x Every Sand Snake.
Bring out The Red Viper.
Kill The Red Viper. (Doesn't matter how)
Flood board with Sand Snakes plus Duplicates.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

FFG do not make it easy to get into their games after the first year or so. Trying to get core sets for lotr in the UK is a nightmare.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Feeple posted:

I have no problem with people dying in AGoT. Having played games like Magic, Vs. System, and WoW TCG, I'm used to that level of fragility in your cards. Of course, in AGoT, there's the dead pile which makes things a bit worse. But at least in AGoT, you can play additional copies of your name cards to protect any copies in play from dying.

Overall, I'm very happy with the thematic link between the card game and the books. I think the card game captures that very well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fugly posted:

FFG do not make it easy to get into their games after the first year or so. Trying to get core sets for lotr in the UK is a nightmare.

£30 direct from Amazon.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I've had the core set for GoT for several years now, and I really WANT to get into it, being a big fan of the books. But I swear, I've never managed to finish a game. Even just doing a 2p Joust, it always takes us over an hour just for one player to get half the amount of points needed; and since by then we've hit the point where Power challenges have started to come fully into play, we get the sensation that game is actually slowing down, instead of speeding up, so we always end up calling it quits.

I was wondering if there were any common rookie GoT mistakes we could be making that might be slowing the game down. As it stands, I just don't find it nearly as satisfying as Invasion or Netrunner, which also take half the time for us.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jedit posted:

£30 direct from Amazon.

Note they have no stock and are just letting people order with a stated 1-2 month dispatch time.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

fugly posted:

The core set will be in stores by the end of the month hopefully, they just reprinted it and its on the boat now from China. At least, it will be in the US. I have no idea if it will take longer for UK stores to stock it. Guess it depends if it has to ship to the US first and then to you.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Alright I am nearly caught up on my current content. What do you guys think I should tackle next? The Shadows of Mirkwood cycle or Against the Shadow?

I have Core, Dwarrowdelf, Black Riders, Over Hill and Under Hill (waiting on reprint of the second one). I don't care about going in order, just looking for interesting stuff :)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

ChiTownEddie posted:

Alright I am nearly caught up on my current content. What do you guys think I should tackle next? The Shadows of Mirkwood cycle or Against the Shadow?

I have Core, Dwarrowdelf, Black Riders, Over Hill and Under Hill (waiting on reprint of the second one). I don't care about going in order, just looking for interesting stuff :)

I've been going through the quests in order of release with my friends and we recently finished Shadows of Mirkwood. We always play with 3 or 4 people so our experience may be different from yours. The quests in it are about the same level of fun as the Core set. However, for us about half of them were win/lose immediately, like if we had a great opening hand/lucky encounter pull we were guaranteed a win in a turn or two, but if not, complete failure. Our amount of players and varied starting Threat values probably is what caused this win/lose situation though. We haven't really done any Against the Shadow quests, but they have a reputation for difficulty and I know they have some gimmicks like questing with attack or defense values instead of willpower.

From a player card perspective it depends on what decks you like to play with which cycle you should go for, but I will say that Shadows has Song cards that allow you to attach another sphere to a hero which makes playing tri and dual sphere decks easier.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I was totally ready to be done with LotR having collected everything up to this point and never getting to play it then I see the new deluxe expansion...Isengard.

God dammit.

Well I learned my lesson though, that new playmat for the event kit is ugly as poo poo.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

The core set will be in stores by the end of the month hopefully, they just reprinted it and its on the boat now from China. At least, it will be in the US. I have no idea if it will take longer for UK stores to stock it. Guess it depends if it has to ship to the US first and then to you.

Hey, good to know, thanks. My flgs hasn't gotten back to me yet.

This being solo is going to help, I have a pile of agot stuff that never gets played :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Epi Lepi posted:

I've been going through the quests in order of release with my friends and we recently finished Shadows of Mirkwood. We always play with 3 or 4 people so our experience may be different from yours. The quests in it are about the same level of fun as the Core set. However, for us about half of them were win/lose immediately, like if we had a great opening hand/lucky encounter pull we were guaranteed a win in a turn or two, but if not, complete failure. Our amount of players and varied starting Threat values probably is what caused this win/lose situation though. We haven't really done any Against the Shadow quests, but they have a reputation for difficulty and I know they have some gimmicks like questing with attack or defense values instead of willpower.

From a player card perspective it depends on what decks you like to play with which cycle you should go for, but I will say that Shadows has Song cards that allow you to attach another sphere to a hero which makes playing tri and dual sphere decks easier.

I think I'll just get the Mirkwood cycle. Might as well have the general order of cards even though your description of the quests isn't the best. Thanks!

Also general article about theme/gameplay from a few days ago if people didn't see it: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4739