Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Paper Kaiju posted:

I've had the core set for GoT for several years now, and I really WANT to get into it, being a big fan of the books. But I swear, I've never managed to finish a game. Even just doing a 2p Joust, it always takes us over an hour just for one player to get half the amount of points needed; and since by then we've hit the point where Power challenges have started to come fully into play, we get the sensation that game is actually slowing down, instead of speeding up, so we always end up calling it quits.

I was wondering if there were any common rookie GoT mistakes we could be making that might be slowing the game down. As it stands, I just don't find it nearly as satisfying as Invasion or Netrunner, which also take half the time for us.

Playing the game with the base set with 4 took ages, if you like it enough I recommend getting the first 6 booster packs, it will go a long way to making the decks faster (because they will be more efficient). It dropped the 4 player game from 2 hours to 1 for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Zombie #246 posted:

Playing the game with the base set with 4 took ages, if you like it enough I recommend getting the first 6 booster packs, it will go a long way to making the decks faster (because they will be more efficient). It dropped the 4 player game from 2 hours to 1 for us.

This is the issue.

If you just have one [or even 2 core sets] you have decks that aren't really that strong. Making it take a long time to complete a game.

With 2 people playing normal decks [not the stall decks like bloodthrist, and not rush decks like noble cause] a game of joust usually takes about 35-45 minutes.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I was having the same issue with the "4 Decks built from 2x Core" decks on CGDB. Any deck tips for someone who has two cores and one of each of the house deluxe expansion sets? Are the prebuilt theme decks included with the deluxe expansions any better? Or am I still missing a bunch of important stuff from the first season?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ChiTownEddie posted:

I think I'll just get the Mirkwood cycle. Might as well have the general order of cards even though your description of the quests isn't the best. Thanks!

Also general article about theme/gameplay from a few days ago if people didn't see it: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4739

Don't get me wrong, we really enjoyed ourselves playing through the cycle, I just feel like those quests aren't the best the game has to offer.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

ImpactVector posted:

I was having the same issue with the "4 Decks built from 2x Core" decks on CGDB. Any deck tips for someone who has two cores and one of each of the house deluxe expansion sets? Are the prebuilt theme decks included with the deluxe expansions any better? Or am I still missing a bunch of important stuff from the first season?

The 4 decks built from 2 core sets are basically melee decks.

The prebuilt theme decks with the deluxe expansions would be really good, much better than the 4x decks IMO. In addition, I think those prebuilt decks assume you only have 1 core, so you might be able to improve the deck even a bit more.

Having said that, this is a game with a MASSIVE card pool. It hasn't been around as long as MtG, but the game basically has more cards legal for play that Standard does at any given time.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

tijag posted:

The 4 decks built from 2 core sets are basically melee decks.

The prebuilt theme decks with the deluxe expansions would be really good, much better than the 4x decks IMO. In addition, I think those prebuilt decks assume you only have 1 core, so you might be able to improve the deck even a bit more.

Having said that, this is a game with a MASSIVE card pool. It hasn't been around as long as MtG, but the game basically has more cards legal for play that Standard does at any given time.
What kinds of things do you have to take into consideration for building melee decks vs joust? I'd like to have the flexibility of playing either way, but if I had to choose one and better decks can bring the playtime down I'd probably lean more towards melee.

No one else in my group is interested in building decks, so I'd prefer to have the set up more as a relatively balanced board game than anything.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

ImpactVector posted:

What kinds of things do you have to take into consideration for building melee decks vs joust? I'd like to have the flexibility of playing either way, but if I had to choose one and better decks can bring the playtime down I'd probably lean more towards melee.

No one else in my group is interested in building decks, so I'd prefer to have the set up more as a relatively balanced board game than anything.

Well, from what I remember those decks use plots that are kinda pointless in joust. Like 'pick an opponent, you and that opponent go fetch a character or a location' etc.

You would almost never play those plots in joust. The melee game is very much a casual game, one from what I can tell is dominated by rush decks that focus on renown and claiming extra power in various ways. The game is really 'balanced' for 1v1 play IMO.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
The only hope I've got of getting earlier Expansions [Datapacks in Netrunner, etc] in the UK is through Amazon/Online, right?
None of my Local Gamestores stock anything but the most recent expansions, if even that.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

The only hope I've got of getting earlier Expansions [Datapacks in Netrunner, etc] in the UK is through Amazon/Online, right?
None of my Local Gamestores stock anything but the most recent expansions, if even that.

It sounds like your FLGS are a bunch of Jerks, then.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Carteret posted:

It sounds like your FLGS are a bunch of Jerks, then.

For what it's worth, Alliance Distribution is currently out of some of the early Netrunner expansions, or was when I looked last week.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Epi Lepi posted:

Don't get me wrong, we really enjoyed ourselves playing through the cycle, I just feel like those quests aren't the best the game has to offer.

That's fair. I guess I kind of reasoned out that more recent cycles are more likely to be reprinted soon so I might as well get the original one now (who knows if that is even right :P)

Also yay, the second part of the Hobbit is being reprinted and appears to be "On the Boat"

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Info on the fourth AP in The Ring-Maker cycle for LotR:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4747

Some pretty cool enemy designs there. Also a card that allows you to take control of the first player token from other people which could allow some solid multiplayer plays. The new hero is a ranger of some sort.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
The new Doomtown's rule book is up.

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/files/2014/04/DTR_Rulebook.pdf
Only minor changes from the old game. Nice to see they supper multiplayer from the core box. The FFG LCGs are missing a good multiplayer game. I had hopes for V:TES but that never saw production.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

LordNat posted:

The new Doomtown's rule book is up.

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/files/2014/04/DTR_Rulebook.pdf
Only minor changes from the old game. Nice to see they supper multiplayer from the core box. The FFG LCGs are missing a good multiplayer game. I had hopes for V:TES but that never saw production.

I'm sad that they're going with the 4x of each card status quo though. I felt like Cheatin' was something that could be introduced later and forcing players to make Bicycle decks would have been much more interesting. Unless we see some really powerful cards that punish cheating right off the bat this is going to make for fairly boring deck building. On the other hand AEG is rarely able to keep a balanced environment and from the looks of the Law Dogs and the Fourth Ring outfit cards they're already pigeonholing factions into mechanics which I think is bad to do with a core set. I do like the emphasis on multiple players though, that's great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PaybackJack posted:

I'm sad that they're going with the 4x of each card status quo though. I felt like Cheatin' was something that could be introduced later and forcing players to make Bicycle decks would have been much more interesting. Unless we see some really powerful cards that punish cheating right off the bat this is going to make for fairly boring deck building.

We know there's at least two Cheatin' cards in the set because the rulebook mentions Magical Distraction as distinct from other Cheatin' cards. I think it was important to include this rule in the base set, too, so people wouldn't misread and think they had to play singletons or bike decks.

Another point: the deck limit isn't just four of a given card - it's four cards of any given suit and value. If you play four Shadow Walks in your deck, you can't play any other card with the value 10H. The "four cards with the same name" is the secondary rule, and if you've played Doomtown before you'll recognise the hint that they plan to introduce Experienced versions of cards later on. Overall this is going to weaken Cheatin' decks a bit and reduce the likelihood of an overpowering DMH deck.

Last point is the big rule change, which is to Harrowed. In old Doomtown Harrowed Dudes would go home booted instead of being aced if they made their pull, be discarded if they didn't, and only aced on an Ace. The new rule is that you can ace a Harrowed Dude up to three times per shootout; the first sends him home booted, the second discards him and the third aces him. Harrowed Dudes are also now automatically discarded instead of aced by card effects. This makes Harrowed a much stronger ability as you can no longer kill a Harrowed Dude in a fight unless you win by a significant margin.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Did they change the rules for Uniques being pullsif two players play the same unique?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Jedit posted:

We know there's at least two Cheatin' cards in the set because the rulebook mentions Magical Distraction as distinct from other Cheatin' cards. I think it was important to include this rule in the base set, too, so people wouldn't misread and think they had to play singletons or bike decks.

Another point: the deck limit isn't just four of a given card - it's four cards of any given suit and value. If you play four Shadow Walks in your deck, you can't play any other card with the value 10H. The "four cards with the same name" is the secondary rule, and if you've played Doomtown before you'll recognise the hint that they plan to introduce Experienced versions of cards later on. Overall this is going to weaken Cheatin' decks a bit and reduce the likelihood of an overpowering DMH deck.

Last point is the big rule change, which is to Harrowed. In old Doomtown Harrowed Dudes would go home booted instead of being aced if they made their pull, be discarded if they didn't, and only aced on an Ace. The new rule is that you can ace a Harrowed Dude up to three times per shootout; the first sends him home booted, the second discards him and the third aces him. Harrowed Dudes are also now automatically discarded instead of aced by card effects. This makes Harrowed a much stronger ability as you can no longer kill a Harrowed Dude in a fight unless you win by a significant margin.

I still think that 4x is a bit extreme, since it means if you wanted to your deck could be 4x/4x/4x/1x of each suit plus the jokers and I'm not convinced AEG is in a smart enough design space at the moment to make such a thing not optimal. I liked being able to tell people "Ok, so you build a deck using the values of a poker deck." It's a really easy thing for new players to pick up and go with and the whole idea of cheating is a big part of the meta game of deck building that was fairly difficult for new players to get into. Combined with how brutal the game could be already, I just felt like this is a big hurdle for new players.

I'm actually starting to get pessimistic the more I see or this game and I'm just really worried that AEG hasn't learned poo poo from years of making L5R among other games, and is instead doing more fan service than actually trying to make a new edition *and* good game. I'm particularly biased in this sense because I think Doomtown fans were even worse than L5R fans when it came to having loyalty and wanting to see their faction succeed over game balance. As a fan of both games that never really gave a poo poo about fiction it was really hard to be a fan of theirs sometimes. I guess that's what happens when you tie the majority of your fanbase to story stuff though.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
WELP.
Just lost two times against Watcher in the Water in probably less time than it took to set them up. I suppose that means time to make a new deck. hahaha.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I managed to get through The Hunt for Gollum and Conflict at the Carrock adventure packs with a friend recently; I feel like location spam is really difficult to deal with, while enemies are rarely a threat. We lost The Hunt for Gollum maybe 5 times because we didn't draw a Northern Tracker to deal with the 8+ locations that would keep ending up in the staging area, and once you fall behind it's nearly impossible to catch up. We only have the core set + 1st 2nd and 4th Mirkwood cycle packs (The store didn't have the third one :downs:) right now, and I'm not seeing a lot of ways to deal with large numbers of locations beyond NT + card draw to find him, any suggestions?

On the other hand, we cruised through Conflict at the Carrock, though that was probably because we found Grimbeorn and the location that counts any resource as leadership as the first two cards pulled out of the deck. Might revisit it to see how it is without that kind of insane luck.

Edit: Last 3 Mirkwood packs just came in.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 18, 2014

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ChiTownEddie posted:

WELP.
Just lost two times against Watcher in the Water in probably less time than it took to set them up. I suppose that means time to make a new deck. hahaha.
That seems to be me in every challenge.

My outlands deck is too slow to build up questing strength. Right now it's Hirluin, Theodred, and either Boromir (lower threat) or Aragorn (ready-ready!). If I don't get a couple of those +spirit outlands guys early, then I pretty much get overloaded with threat by most quests' openings.

Soloing is hard :(

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Pander posted:

My outlands deck is too slow to build up questing strength. Right now it's Hirluin, Theodred, and either Boromir (lower threat) or Aragorn (ready-ready!). If I don't get a couple of those +spirit outlands guys early, then I pretty much get overloaded with threat by most quests' openings.

I think its a blast. I'd love to get one of my friends interested to do some multiplayer, but for some reason I have almost no interest in doing two handed right now.
Typically I play the next quest with my previous deck, and that rarely works out. Especially since I like to beat a quest twice to prove it wasn't TOTALLY dumb luck the first time.

@sirtommygunn: You still get location locked with a nearly entirely questing deck? That's rough.
I just got the Mirkwood Cycle so I'm going to be tackling them soon. Straight questing missions tend to be the most boring and easy though, I think, so far.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Pander posted:

Outlands is pretty gross once it gets rolling though. We actually play with 3 players:

Theodred/Elrond/Hirluin Outlands deck that regularly puts out 20+ quest/turn by the end of the game
Aragorn/Thalin/Beregond Gondor deck built to sentinel everything
Legolas/Eleanor/Glorfindel support/shooting deck built to complement the sentinel deck (this one's mine)

Last time we played we just barely scraped by on Foundations of Stone though. The other two decks got knocked out on threat after we got split up and I ended up limping over the finish line by myself. Mainly because I lucked out and kept pulling monsters and had Light of Valinar on Glorfindel to help Legolas murder things.

Insta-losing once in a while is just part of the game I think. All it takes is one or two bad treachery pulls that you can't do anything about and you're pretty toast in a lot of quests.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 18, 2014

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

sirtommygunn posted:

I managed to get through The Hunt for Gollum and Conflict at the Carrock adventure packs with a friend recently; I feel like location spam is really difficult to deal with, while enemies are rarely a threat. We lost The Hunt for Gollum maybe 5 times because we didn't draw a Northern Tracker to deal with the 8+ locations that would keep ending up in the staging area, and once you fall behind it's nearly impossible to catch up. We only have the core set + Mirkwood cycle cards right now, and I'm not seeing a lot of ways to deal with large numbers of locations beyond NT + card draw to find him, any suggestions?

On the other hand, we cruised through Conflict at the Carrock, though that was probably because we found Grimbeorn and the location that counts any resource as leadership as the first two cards pulled out of the deck. Might revisit it to see how it is without that kind of insane luck.

With your amount of cards Lorien Guide and Legolas are probably your only other options for dealing with locations. There's a Rohan ally that lets you discard it to put progress tokens on a location, but I don't remember which card that is or where it comes from. Glorfindel with Asfaloth is great for dealing with locations, that card is in one of the Dwarrowdelf APs, probably the one with Spirit Glorfindel(Foundations of Stone, I think.)

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

With your amount of cards Lorien Guide and Legolas are probably your only other options for dealing with locations. There's a Rohan ally that lets you discard it to put progress tokens on a location, but I don't remember which card that is or where it comes from. Glorfindel with Asfaloth is great for dealing with locations, that card is in one of the Dwarrowdelf APs, probably the one with Spirit Glorfindel(Foundations of Stone, I think.)

Just looked through the cards again and The Riddermark's Finest along with Ride to Ruin seem to be exactly what I was looking for. I think my friend might not have had them in the deck at all. Thanks for the help.

We had both Lorien Guide and Legolas out but the problem had more to do with us having the unfortunate luck of getting 2 locations every turn than us not sending enough willpower.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 18, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Question about the LotR LCG: If I have enough quest points to finish a quest, and I have some leftover, do they spillover onto the next quest? Couldn't find anything in the rules.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Nope, any excess quest progress is completely wasted.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

sirtommygunn posted:

Nope, any excess quest progress is completely wasted.

Booooooo.

Also how good are the Spirit guys in the core set that add a progress tracker to locations in the staging area when tapped? Answer: So good. So. Good.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Paper Kaiju posted:

I've had the core set for GoT for several years now, and I really WANT to get into it, being a big fan of the books. But I swear, I've never managed to finish a game. Even just doing a 2p Joust, it always takes us over an hour just for one player to get half the amount of points needed; and since by then we've hit the point where Power challenges have started to come fully into play, we get the sensation that game is actually slowing down, instead of speeding up, so we always end up calling it quits.

I was wondering if there were any common rookie GoT mistakes we could be making that might be slowing the game down. As it stands, I just don't find it nearly as satisfying as Invasion or Netrunner, which also take half the time for us.

I've notecied that games take a while in Core Set context, and that's honestly because they're not great decks. I think FFG wanted you to get two Cores (as they do with everything,) and once you have that, you can build decks that streamline the process down and get games to crank out quicker. If anything, 3-6 player games slow things down further, as picking Small Council roles are (I noticed) taken 20% for their in-game effect, and 80% for who they effectively block from challenging them this round. Approximately.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Feeple posted:

I've notecied that games take a while in Core Set context, and that's honestly because they're not great decks. I think FFG wanted you to get two Cores (as they do with everything,) and once you have that, you can build decks that streamline the process down and get games to crank out quicker. If anything, 3-6 player games slow things down further, as picking Small Council roles are (I noticed) taken 20% for their in-game effect, and 80% for who they effectively block from challenging them this round. Approximately.

I've grabbed a handful of random expansions and have managed to knock the play time of a game down significantly. Could also have to do with us no longer needing to spend as much time reading the cards, since we know how they work now.

It's funny how your group's use of the small council is the opposite of mine. Almost always we grab them for the effect, then afterwards we notice who we just chose to support/oppose.

Also, does anyone have recommended expansions/builds to make Martell more effective? I love their concept, they are my favourite team to play, but they rarely win.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I'm trying to create an account over at CardGameDB, and I've had them resend the validation email 3 or 4 times now but I haven't gotten. Do they normally take forever to send e-mails out?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

kannonfodder posted:

I've grabbed a handful of random expansions and have managed to knock the play time of a game down significantly. Could also have to do with us no longer needing to spend as much time reading the cards, since we know how they work now.

It's funny how your group's use of the small council is the opposite of mine. Almost always we grab them for the effect, then afterwards we notice who we just chose to support/oppose.

Also, does anyone have recommended expansions/builds to make Martell more effective? I love their concept, they are my favourite team to play, but they rarely win.

Martell guide 101:

Don't play Melee.
Do play Joust.

Voila, Martell just got a tonne better.

(Okay, this was flippant, they're a viable House in both formats, but when a lot of your cards rely on other people going for you to punish them for it, you can't use those in a 4 player format very often, so a Melee Martell deck is WAY more different than a Joust Martell deck, to a greater degree than any other House.)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Shockeh posted:

Martell guide 101:

Don't play Melee.
Do play Joust.

Voila, Martell just got a tonne better.

(Okay, this was flippant, they're a viable House in both formats, but when a lot of your cards rely on other people going for you to punish them for it, you can't use those in a 4 player format very often, so a Melee Martell deck is WAY more different than a Joust Martell deck, to a greater degree than any other House.)

I had a feeling that was the case, but most games I've played have been 4 player.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I think my take away from all of this is that I'm not going to bother expanding into GoT. Invasion, LotR, and Netrunner were all very enjoyable playing just with what was in the core box, which encouraged me to pick up more of them. I'm not very keen in throwing good money after bad with GoT on the chance I might end up enjoying it, and I'm not exactly hurting for other games to play right now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Paper Kaiju posted:

I think my take away from all of this is that I'm not going to bother expanding into GoT. Invasion, LotR, and Netrunner were all very enjoyable playing just with what was in the core box, which encouraged me to pick up more of them. I'm not very keen in throwing good money after bad with GoT on the chance I might end up enjoying it, and I'm not exactly hurting for other games to play right now.

The biggest thing holding me back from GoT is the sheer cost of buy-in. It'd be different if, after X amount of time, FFG went "Hey guys, we're selling the first cycle as a box for fifty bucks!" because I'd be all OVER that poo poo. But with so many cycles of cards on top of the six house expansions? Nah.

LotR LCG is seriously great though, I'm filling out order forms tonight so the boss can order me the rest of the Mirkwood cycle.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

At the bottom of their FAQ and Tourney Rules update post, they snuck a little line in there:

FFG posted:

In closing, we would like to take a moment to comment upon a topic that is not addressed in this FAQ update: set rotation. We are aware that the size of the card pool, the number of products available, and the breadth of the game are growing increasingly problematic for our audience. For some, it is a barrier of entry that is discouraging to new players who are thinking of buying in or trying to get caught up with their collections. For others, it is a matter of increasing complexity and a sense of getting lost in the card pool. We bring this up now to let you, our player base, know that we are aware of these issues and are working toward a long-term solution that ensures the continuation of the A Game of Thrones: The Card Game experience for years to come. More information on this topic will be presented in November, at the 2014 FFG World Championship Weekend.

I got really interested as my first LCG when I got into the books, but the card pool was massive already. I have 2 Cores, and all of the big boxes, but they hadn't even revised or reprinted the first 2 cycles at that point and the packs with the Black/White Ravens were 80+ dollars on ebay thanks to scalpers. :smith:

Curious to see their solution, as I'm sure if it works we have that to look forward to Netrunner further down the line.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 19, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Unless they make it cheaper to buy in, though, set rotation really only affects tournament play. I just want to buy it all because I have this monkey on my back and he wants some goddamn nanners, right now. It really needs to be a two-pronged thing: Set rotation to limit the card pool for tournaments, and Chapter Boxes (or some similar idea) to lower to cost of entry for a new player. It's hard to tell people "yeah the first expansion really amounts to a hundred bucks" when I'm selling them on the game.

edit On one hand, I want to brag about basically crushing my third ever game of LotR, doing Passage Through Mirkwood with the mono-leadersihp deck in the core set. On the other, I Sneak Attacked Gandalf turn one and have hit basically no enemies this entire game so

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 20, 2014

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

jivjov posted:

So I'm trying to create an account over at CardGameDB, and I've had them resend the validation email 3 or 4 times now but I haven't gotten. Do they normally take forever to send e-mails out?

I had that issue when I first tried to make an account too. Unfortunately, I don't know if I solved it by doing something different or if it just worked eventually.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Carteret posted:

At the bottom of their FAQ and Tourney Rules update post, they snuck a little line in there:

I got really interested as my first LCG when I got into the books, but the card pool was massive already. I have 2 Cores, and all of the big boxes, but they hadn't even revised or reprinted the first 2 cycles at that point and the packs with the Black/White Ravens were 80+ dollars on ebay thanks to scalpers. :smith:

Curious to see their solution, as I'm sure if it works we have that to look forward to Netrunner further down the line.

I'm interested as well. I have out here two dudes that buy it, love it, and basically play between themselves because no one else does. Once drafting was announced, interest shot up, because it was a card pool equalizer. Mr. Playset over there had his experience to back him, but drafting can mitigate the "Gotcha!" factor. I have a Greyjoy deck I built literally out of the house box (Kings of the Sea,) and I think it can do OK against any other house that has 2x Core to work with. I might take it the Meta Games' regional in Springfield, MO, just for a laugh. Some kind of catch-up set or "right, Cycles X, Y, and Z are legal" would be a boon for a newer player to come in and enjoy the tournament scene.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Feeple posted:

I'm interested as well. I have out here two dudes that buy it, love it, and basically play between themselves because no one else does. Once drafting was announced, interest shot up, because it was a card pool equalizer. Mr. Playset over there had his experience to back him, but drafting can mitigate the "Gotcha!" factor. I have a Greyjoy deck I built literally out of the house box (Kings of the Sea,) and I think it can do OK against any other house that has 2x Core to work with. I might take it the Meta Games' regional in Springfield, MO, just for a laugh. Some kind of catch-up set or "right, Cycles X, Y, and Z are legal" would be a boon for a newer player to come in and enjoy the tournament scene.

At my FLGS, we have 3 players who have virtually the whole card pool (one of the players basically missed a pack because there were literaly no cards in that pack that he cared about - period!). We allow proxies, and before a major tournament, other players would be allowed to borrow a couple of cards from them to finish off their decks. It makes it much easier to get into the game for newbies, and we've had quite a lot of success in reviving a meta that had basically died (it was down to 3 people at one point, but is now growing back up towards 15ish).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Played through the last four adventure packs of the Mirkwood cycle today, I stuck to a Lore/Leadership deck while my friend went with Tactics/Spirit, thoughts:

A Journey to Rhosgobel: This adventure is hard when you forget to put applicable healing in. Self Preservation and the Daughter of the Nimrodel do nothing for Wilyador! Took a very long time for each of our two attempts, even though it's the adventure with a time limit. It wasn't too challenging when I put some proper healing in and my friend actually managed to draw Radaghast.

Hills of Emyn Muil: This adventure destroyed us the first time because we did not get a Northern Tracker. We destroyed this adventure the 2nd time because we got a Northern Tracker. Location adventuring by itself really isn't very interesting.

The Dead Marshes: Good adventure overall but the extra stuff to keep track of overwhelmed us and we may have cheated a bit as a result. We managed to pull through it on the second try, and Eleanor proved extremely useful in this adventure.

Return to Mirkwood: An excellent adventure that came to a climactic finish, as we had to fight off a Hill Troll and TWO Attercop, Attercops at the same time. One more turn, one less ally, one more enemy, one more threat gain, any of these would have resulted in our loss at some point in the game. It pushed us to our very limits as we repeatedly had to juggle Gollum to each other to avoid death by threat or spider. Beat it on the 2nd try as we decided to prematurely end the first one when we drew Attercop, Attercop in the setup (holy poo poo, gently caress that spider, dealing with two of them at once was a goddam nightmare).

I think I'll revisit some of the quests with different decks before I get the Khazad-Dum expansion.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 28, 2014