Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Thanks. Couldn’t remember off the top of my head.

I got a game in playing Domino’s precon as I didn’t have time to change it before my friend came. I was pretty underwhelmed, it didn’t feel like I could do much but playing around with Jackpot was fun.

I saw people talking about making Cable Justice and that seemed like a good idea so I swapped aspects and made Domino leadership and I’m glad I did. Just fire out minions with a ton of payment cards, and then I’ve got a bunch of wilds to help fire off her abilities. The best was I realized how awesome Kate Bishop is for her? Got Jackpot in my hand? No worries. Use it to deal 3 damage (if I don’t have a payment cost in mind), flip to alter and pug that poo poo right back into my deck.

Really like it. It took a bit to setup, but then I was rolling. I added an Avengers Mansion for a little help on card draw and Helicarrier to help pay for all her small stuff. Klaw solo wasn’t an issue. Can’t wait to try my Cable Justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Pug is basically only in there to help you recycle jackpot after you spend it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
He’s good for grabbing you wild resource cards as well. So you know you’re going to hit for a double.

Otherwise yeah. Pug is strictly there for Jackpot. I am okay with that.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'm just going to quote myself from Facebook and copy this post I made about a build for Domino that is intended to create an infinite loop using The Posse.

Domino Hero Cards (15)
Basic(12)
1x Side Holster
1x X-Gene
1x Avengers Mansion
1x Helicarrier
1x Deft Focus
1x The Posse
1x Sidearm
1x Endurance
1x Atlas Bear
1x White Fox
2x Digging Deep
Leadership(13)
3x Target Practice
1x Leadership Training
1x Clarity of Purpose
1x Maria Hill (if you're confused why she's here see the next card)
1x Med Lab
1x Band Together
1x Leadership Skill
1x The Triskelion
1x Inspired
2x Strength in Numbers

Cards are either a) combo piece, b) resources, c) cheap, or d) Maria Hill who does her Maria Hill thing until it's time for her to thwart two turns in a row and then go sit in the Med Bay for the rest of the game.

Bare Minimum Requirements:
4 cards total in both deck and discard pile. 6 in hand at the end of a player turn in Alter-Ego (5 if starting in Hero Form)
Triskelion on the board
4x Posse allies in play
2x Strength in Numbers in your decklist, 1 of which must be in hand
1x The Posse event (in hand or deck is fine)

Infinite combo:
Start the player phase with 6(5 if hero form) cards in hand and 4 cards in your deck.
1. Exhaust all 4 posse members to play Strength in Numbers for 4 to draw those cards. Strength in Numbers goes to the discard pile and is then reshuffled into your deck to create a deck of 1 card.
3.*Attack or Thwart with Domino
4. Play "The Posse" using (Jackpot as your resource card), Jackpot and The Posse are now the two cards in the discard pile.
5. Attack with Outlaw triggering her ability to put the top card of the deck(Strength in Numbers) into the discard pile.
6. Reshuffle your deck which is now three cards(Jackpot, The Posse, Strength in Numbers).
7. Play the Strength in Numbers using the remaining three members of the posse
8. Repeat from step 2

The Tricky Part: How do we get to having only 9-10 cards in our deck+hand.
Essentially there are 9 cards that you can't avoid having in your hand, they are 1x The Posse, 2x A Good Workout, 2x Right Place Right Time, 2x Strength in Numbers, 1x Luck Be a Lady, 1x Jackpot. This means everything else in your deck must be able to sit on the board in some way. We do have a bit of play here as we can "bank" three cards on The Painted Lady. For these spaces I recommend 2x Digging Deep which you can usually cycle back to the top of the deck and also manipulate in the end game using Domino's guns, while it's tempting to run 3 of these I think 1x copy of Band Together is better here and also works as a replacement for Jackpot when you go off(if Jackpot is on The Painted Lady for instance).

I also forgot about the player side schemes and didn't include any of them, they could be potentially much better than stuff like Sidearm and Leadership Skill.

Golden Bee posted:

Pug is basically only in there to help you recycle jackpot after you spend it.

In this deck Pug is quite nice for being able to help thin out hero events, and The Posse, that you don't need and discard them onto The Painted Lady.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 19, 2023

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
How is ffg's marvel lcg? I have heard everything from "it's great" to "very shallow deck building"

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Impermanent posted:

How is ffg's marvel lcg? I have heard everything from "it's great" to "very shallow deck building"

First year I'd say the deckbuilding was fairly shallow and it took them a while to find their footing with some of the aspects but now it's definitely a lot better. Each aspect has a lot of options and directions you can build in, however yes the core of a hero never changes but that doesn't really matter too much if you're going to build around the aspect rather than the hero.

It's great. The complaint is that it's a "co-op" and suffers from the usual problems that those games have. Last year I complained that the design was too centered around 4 players full tables and was awful for True solo(1-handed), and from what I've seen of the new box(haven't gotten to Strife yet, going very slowly), it feels like it's a much better experience that was playtested at more levels. The problem you could have with deck building is that your hero might be boring or have a gimmick you don't enjoy.

I don't think it's fair to complain about the slow release schedule because that's an FFG problem.

It's less story driven than Arkham and less difficult than Lord of the Rings, but it's very good and the fact that it's so light is what makes it great. It's not overly complex but there's still a fair bit of depth.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 9, 2023

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I've only got the core set and a couple packs but Marvel is the coop lcg I like the least, though that's probably because LotR is getting off easy by being the first one I played. It's just kind of bland and the theme doesn't do much for me.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I have everything lord of the rings up to like, the second hobbit expansion. I've been thinking about getting back into it just to play solo. Great game.

Been thinking about getting into Arkham, too, but that's just too much money - only one or two LCGs at a time.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Impermanent posted:

I dunno if I would say it's great, but it is definitely my preferred co-op LCG out of the ones I've played. Arkham is more fun on paper, but my play experience with it has largely been having at least 1 completely mystifying, game stopping rules question every time we played it and I just got tired of it. LotR is too much of a bastard. Marvel is just easier to get to the table and get people to enjoy in my experience.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Marvel is most fun in duo. Four player takes forever and solo is much faster but swingy.

I really really dig it and replayability is amazing, and because each hero can be played 4 ways, each card pack you buy increases your play options.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I appreciate what Arkham does and I love the story aspect, but putting it all together is just a pain. Marvel is really great, my friends and I get together and pull out a hero and get 2-3 games in. We usually have some fun combos that come up. There’s enough content that is rolled out that things never feel stale now, and I have so much heroes that I can cycle through and have a wide variety of play.

It’s really all about what you’re looking for. If you want something deep and tactical you’re better off with the other LCG’s, but if you want something light but can make it a bit harder if you want, Marvel is a great choice.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

The Black Stones posted:

It’s really all about what you’re looking for. If you want something deep and tactical you’re better off with the other LCG’s, but if you want something light but can make it a bit harder if you want, Marvel is a great choice.

Yeah this is really the thing. If your playgroup is dyed-in-the-wool mtg enthusiasts who have been enjoying drafts for years, Marvel might be a bit too light for those people. If your group is mixed skill levels and you're going to be bringing this to a table with at least 1 person who is going to check out during deck construction, Marvel is the clear winner.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

X-23 spoils on the Facebook group. Some interesting aggression stuff but nothing too outstanding in that aspect. As usual the cost / effect on the aggression cards is bad.

Justice however is getting a 2 cost event that cancels treacheries if you have a side scheme in the victory display. Straight up cancel, not just a discard and draw a new one like the spy upgrade.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Critical hit is pretty good to be able to bust out a stun on command, but the other cards are ones that have been around (triumph) or modifier stuff which isn’t super great.

That Justice card is crazy good. Those specializations are going to be really good though, being able to get yourself permanent modifiers? Excellent.

While the aspect stuff doesn’t seem great there’s still a lot to like. I’m not sure I’m sold on the hero though, until I put her through her paces.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

Critical hit is pretty good to be able to bust out a stun on command, but the other cards are ones that have been around (triumph) or modifier stuff which isn’t super great.

That Justice card is crazy good. Those specializations are going to be really good though, being able to get yourself permanent modifiers? Excellent.

While the aspect stuff doesn’t seem great there’s still a lot to like. I’m not sure I’m sold on the hero though, until I put her through her paces.

The specializations are definitely going to be a staple.

X-23 looks like the weakest of the X-Force group so far. Not bad like Colossus but I''m going to thumbs down any hero that doesn't get their own thwart action card and instead gets a "basic thwart modifier" card. Granted her hero power means she'll probably be able to get a ready off on her turn. The Honey Badger gimmick is alright, but recurring her with Sisterhood seems less good than just running Leadership and boosting her HP and then keeping her alive with First Aids, or going Protection and giving her the training upgrade and keeping her alive with Med Teams.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

X 23 probably wants to pair with a member of the Charles Xavier school, getting a utopia ready every time honey badger comes back seems great. And if someone else is playing leadership, they can just Ready honey badger. Everything in Voltron can be played by somebody else.

My take away: She has a super strong hero kit with a really boring aggression kit.
Any Quicksilver tech is going to be good with her. You can have her attack and ready in attack and ready and get the basic number up to ridiculous levels.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I played Marvel Champions the other day, a first game against Rhino and then a second against the Wrecking Crew. Seemed fun, but I'm not sure if I'm into deck construction, or hunting old expansion packs because I want to be a completionist.

How viable it is to just get a hero deck when I want to add more variety and just not bother with the LCG part?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Moderately. Some heroes are better than others and some preconstructed decks are better than others. Overall the precons are generally used to show off the new cards in that aspect and not be a viable deck that can carry you through a campaign. They're playable for sure as long as you aren't taking on Expert+ or some of the harder villains.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fat Samurai posted:

I played Marvel Champions the other day, a first game against Rhino and then a second against the Wrecking Crew. Seemed fun, but I'm not sure if I'm into deck construction, or hunting old expansion packs because I want to be a completionist.

How viable it is to just get a hero deck when I want to add more variety and just not bother with the LCG part?

It's probably the best for that by a mile. The game is completely playable out of the box with basically every hero, so just buy the big box campaign expansions that come with 2 heroes and 3-5 scenarios and supplement with any extra hero packs you want or scenario packs (they're generally really well designed).

There is also a great list on BGG that has premade aspects or decklists for every hero so you can assemble those as grab and go.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/278797/marvel-champions-universal-prebuilt-decks

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Honestly for any game like this, it's pretty easy to just netdeck something and go with that. It's how I play netrunner and Arkham at home

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Bottom Liner posted:

It's probably the best for that by a mile. The game is completely playable out of the box with basically every hero, so just buy the big box campaign expansions that come with 2 heroes and 3-5 scenarios and supplement with any extra hero packs you want or scenario packs (they're generally really well designed).

There is also a great list on BGG that has premade aspects or decklists for every hero so you can assemble those as grab and go.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/278797/marvel-champions-universal-prebuilt-decks

That's pretty cool, specially the archived ones so I can go in order.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
A fair warning that some heroes were pretty turd when they came out (Thor) and really started to shine after they got a lot more support later on. So if you go in release order and play Thor you might have a bad time but if you grab the packs that compliment his deck he’ll be incredibly good.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

A fair warning that some heroes were pretty turd when they came out (Thor) and really started to shine after they got a lot more support later on. So if you go in release order and play Thor you might have a bad time but if you grab the packs that compliment his deck he’ll be incredibly good.

I'll add to this by saying not necessarily just the hero packs, but also modulars. Toss in a modular with a high density of minions and Thor feels much more fun to play because there's stuff for him to stomp on. Inheiritors, Iron Spider's Sinister Six; new box has Nasty Boys and Marauders; there's quite a few options out there.

Finally got around to playing Strife and he's quite interesting. He's definitely one that I'll probably have to actually build around. It's interesting that because you can't really avoid going to 2B you have to build your deck with the idea that your cards are going to all cost 1 more which makes 0 cost stuff that you'd normally want to use a lot weaker than the high cost stuff you might normally avoid. It's a very smart design and is going to make a campaign where you can't change anything from start to finish quite different than what we've seen before. My initial thought was that he's going to be weak to burst damage, but he can hit the main scheme really hard in that first phase, so I guess you'll want to lower the side scheme a lot then kill him, flip it, clear the Living Bomb side quickly and then try to burst his more difficult form down before he starts wrecking you.

This is probably the best box set they've done other than Sinister Motives. Every scenario is interesting and unique and I think I'd only give the edge to Sinister Motives because the sinister six scenario itself is my favorite scenario in the game. The heroes are both solid A-tier heroes as well. I hate saying this because I don't want it to be like this, but if it takes them 6 months between releases for us to get quality product like this then I'd be happy with it.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Played about 20 hours of Earthborne Rangers this weekend, will put some thoughts together, but it was good.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

HidaO-Win posted:

Played about 20 hours of Earthborne Rangers this weekend, will put some thoughts together, but it was good.

I'm in NA waiting for my order to be fulfilled, curious for your take

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Earthborne Rangers Trip Report

Played 20 hours of Earthborne Rangers this weekend. Got a little further than halfway through the campaign I think.

Thumbs very much up so far.

Earthborne Rangers is a co-op card game cut very much from the Arkham Horror LCG mold, considering the development and design pool on the game, this is fair enough. The setting is basically post-post-apocalypse, humans nearly destroyed Earths ecosystem and at the brink, managed to turn things around and over the course of two thousand years have returned it to a new equilibrium. The game itself is set in a large valley which is in fact several valleys and you play Rangers, whose dual role is to protect the flora and fauna of the valley while also protecting the humans who live there. Thematically and in play, this is a much less frantic game than Arkham Horrors battle against the mythos. Your first quest is delivering biscuits to people and while the stakes ramp up, the gameplay is much more about endurance than explosive power.

Production wise the game looks great, cards have nice art, crisp presentation, components are good quality and you can get some cosmetic upgrades if you so prefer. The game is also produced in as environmentally sustainable a way as possible, so no single use plastics, the cards are instead wrapped in recyclable paper containers. This did cause an issue where the boxes are sealed with a difficult to remove sticker in place of shrink wrap, which is an eyesore to some. The internal cardboard dividers you assemble to organise the game looked a bit flimsy to me, so you may want to investigate other storage options.

Gameplay begins with character creation. Each character has four aspects, Awareness (green), Spirit (yellow), Fitness (red) and Focus (blue). Aspects are arranged in a 3:2:2:1 spread of your choice and you take the corresponding stat card. Each of these aspects qualifies you for certain cards, some powerful cards might require a 2 or even 3 in an aspect and each aspect point provides you with one energy of that colour each turn.
Following that the next step of character creation is pick your Personality cards, one set of two from each colour, which are cards which just provide an icon and possibly a triggered effect.
Next you pick your Background, one from Artisan, Forager, Shepard and Traveler, each of which lets you pick 5 different sets of 2 cards from 9 total.
After that you pick your Speciality from Artificer, Conciliatory, Explorer and Shaper, each of which again gets 5 different sets of 2 cards from 12 total and a choice of two different roles, which give you an ability you can use every turn.
After that you pick 1 set of two cards from the Background and Speciality sets as your outside interest, leaving you with a deck of 8+10+10+2 =30 cards.
Your deck will never get bigger than this. You swap in new cards for old ones.
The intro scenario takes you through a simple procedural challenge where in each step you do a little gameplay, then add some more cards to your deck, it's pretty elegant.

The game itself is played in campaign mode, over the course of many days, during which you will multiple rounds of play each day. Unlike Arkham Horror, there are no chapters, your deck resets at the end of the day, but in a day you might travel through several different encounters or only one.
The play area is broken into four areas which are arranged in the following order.
The Surroundings where the current location, the weather and any quests are.
Along the Way, cards which are far from your Ranger, but in the way of the Surroundings.
Within Reach, where cards are in the way of Along the Way and the Surroundings and lastly: Your Player Area.

The cards that populate Along the Way and Within Reach come from the Path deck, which is similar to an Arkham Horror Encounter deck. They are dealt out at setup and at the start of every round to players and indicate on them whether they go to Along the Way or Within Reach. Each path card has three stats, their Presence, and their two values for Harm and Progress. Path cards usually also have at least one Challenge effect, which is triggered by some test results. If you attempt to make a Test on a card at any location, any card in the way of that test fatigues your ranger for a number of cards equal to the total presence of the untapped cards in the way. So if you attempted to make a test on a card Along the Way and you had two Presence 2 cards Within Reach, you would get fatigued for 4 cards first. So the priority is generally to deal with the Within Reach cards, before working on the Along the Way cards before trying to deal with the location. How you deal with them is either by putting Harm or Progress on path cards or locations until you reach the Harm or Progress value on their card, at which point an effect may resolve and they are discarded. Harm represents damaging, hurting or stressing the path cards, whereas Progress represents accommodation. Of course some are easier to deal with one way than the other. Not all the Path cards are fatiguing, some are resources you can harvest, some are humans that might have a problem you can help with and a subsequent reward. Each locations path deck is based on the habitat you travelled through to get there and either the locations unique cards or a few roamers from the valley. You can’t leave a location until you have put progress on the location card up to its Progress value, since it’s all the way at the back, you probably have some other things to get through first.

Those are your problems, what are your solutions? Well you have a combination of 8 energy from your character to use each round. Every ranger in order takes a turn of either playing a card, performing a test or resting which ends their round. To play a card, you pay the cards energy cost from the corresponding colours energy and resolve its effects. For example a yellow card with 2 cost would require 2 yellow energy to pay for it. Cards include equipment and companions (animals) that hang around, attachments that attach to stuff and moments which are one off effects. Cards also have at least one of four different icons, which can instead be added to tests to increase your chance of success, Connection, Conflict, Exploration and Reason.
Alternatively you can make a test, by spending at least one energy and possibly adding some cards for their icons. The four basic tests are:
Red + Exploration: Traverse, adds progress to locations or features.
Yellow + Connection: Connect, adds progress to beings.
Blue + Reason: Remember your training, scry some cards off your deck, then draw a card.
Green + Conflict: Avoid: Exhaust a being.

The difficulty of a test is either the Presence of the target, a difficulty number stated on a bespoke test on a card or 1 if none is stated.
To determine success or failure you total your effort, which is energy spent + icons and flip a challenge card. These cards modify each colour of test by -2 to +1 (with -2 being a rare result, which causes a reshuffle) and have a Challenge icon.
The Challenge icon is either Crest (Red), Sun (Orange) or Mountain (Blue) and that triggers abilities on untapped path cards, locations and quests. Pulling the wrong icon can cause you some difficulty when several different effects kick off at once.

When you end a round, you draw a card and your energy refreshes.
Your day ends when you choose to end it, you go to draw a card and you can’t, a ranger gets injured three times or a friendly NPC path card gets Harm equal to their Harm limit. When you end the day you reset your deck, get rid of injuries and reshuffle your in play cards back into your deck.

The gameplay loop is basically as follows. Travel to a new area and get a bunch of path cards to deal with. Get them under control so you can advance the location, complete any quests and move on to the next location. The game provides a map, which you use to move around the valley in as free form a way as you choose. Path cards at a location can unlock new quests, some are time sensitive, but others you can complete at a more leisurely pace. Completing quests usually rewards you with new cards for your deck. Generally an upgrade at least in terms of icons, you get to customise your deck based on your adventures.

Unlike Arkham Horror you can potentially do a lot during your round so it tends to be a bit slower.
Order of operations is a key skill here, reading the path cards, figuring out if any have any negative or positive interactions. Predator path cards often attack Prey, which can solve some problems for you, but they can also Harm NPC path cards or Rangers, which can end your turn pretty fast. Sika Bucks might fatigue you if a Sika Doe is present or they might draw a mountain lion to you and multiply your troubles.
Figuring out what to handle first and if you can handle it without making a test is key. Tests can both fail and can flip Challenge icons which trigger Path cards to do things you often will not want to happen.
You will also notice that you can’t dole out Harm with any of the standard tests, for that you need either a Gear, Companion or Moment to do that and most of them are limited use.
Fatigue is also a consideration, but it’s an advantage as well. It’s bad because when you get fatigued, you are reducing how long your character can go this day., but if you soothe fatigue, you get to draw that many of your fatigue cards into your hand. Get injured and your fatigue stack is discarded and you get an injury that fatigues you for one every turn.

Ups:
Theme is great, very different to most of the market which tends towards the grim and gritty. You always have the option to resolve things peacefully, pet dogs and generally be a righteous dude.
Gameplay feels tight, but not as punitive as Arkham Horror, no autofails, but you might have to overcommit to make sure you pass a test which is its own issue.
Deck customisation is not overwhelming at the start, has options to tweak it with NPCs in the game and your deck organically upgrades as you follow the quests and their linked storyline. The quest rewards generally feel like big or cool upgrades.
Story is solid and the world building is mostly fun.
Visual spoiler for all the core Background and Speciality cards for ease of reference in the rulebook.

Downs:
Rulebook is beautiful, but it and much of the rules text is written in natural language, so there are a couple of rules snafus. Story book has some typos and missing pieces.
Can be easy to miss a quest trigger or forget to reference the story book when a card with an entry enters play. This can cut into playtime a little as you need to go read their section of the book out loud when you draw a path card.
Not convinced on the toughness of the cardboard of the inset organiser.
Most punishing RNG can be getting the right Path cards out to complete quests.

Marmite:
Plenty of cards for building four decks, however they do sell a card doubler expansion which is a second set of all the ranger cards and I think you’d want that for a four player game so if a cool reward card comes up, more people can grab one of them, or two people can grab two.
Story might be a bit too gentle for some, there is peril, but it's fairly lowkey and even the dangerous animals you can hug away. Full pacifist run is possible, but I found a weapon or two is incredibly handy, even if just a trowel for dealing with troublesome plants.
Only difficulty mod is the weather, the game presets it as standard, but you can use it to up the difficulty.

Hints and Tips:
It’s more about endurance than explosive turns, fatigue when managed correctly is a resource, but dipping in too deeply or deliberately can cut your day short.
Elders are a type of Path NPC that hand out quests when cleared, however some of them are quests to find another NPC who is lost and those have a time limit, so only trigger them when you have the time to do so. Similarly the ones to lure out dangerous animals will generally require a fair bit of traveling, so don’t work too hard on progressing them
Some of the quests require getting out specific cards from the path deck, Awareness (Green) specialises in this and it's important to have tools there.
Fitness (Red) usually progresses locations, letting you move on, vital to have some tools for that too.
A couple of ways to do Harm are very handy.
Sometimes ending your turn without making tests with your last bit of energy is the right thing to do, triggering challenge icons can be more trouble than it's worth.
Weather is the main challenge trigger that is the most resource intensive to shift to your advantage. You’ll come to love and miss “A Perfect Day”

Conclusion: Excellent game, less tense than many of its competitors with a compelling theme.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
very happy to hear you enjoyed Earthborne Rangers! was involved in the playtesting and have been anxiously sitting on my hands wanting to yell about how much fun it is. It's really beautiful and holds a special place in my heart as a very distinct and exciting new entry in the budding co-op LCG genre.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Impermanent posted:

very happy to hear you enjoyed Earthborne Rangers! was involved in the playtesting and have been anxiously sitting on my hands wanting to yell about how much fun it is. It's really beautiful and holds a special place in my heart as a very distinct and exciting new entry in the budding co-op LCG genre.

It's a great game, was very happy when it arrived and I'm looking forward to finishing the campaign when I get a chance.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I'm definitely curious to try it. The Team Covenant preview made it look decent enough; like it had some legs on it. Unfortunately, it's also one of those things that living in a country outside the U.S. makes hard to get as TC's international shipping has always been bad enough that I never wanted to support them even at the height of their tokens and custom game pieces.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

I'm definitely curious to try it. The Team Covenant preview made it look decent enough; like it had some legs on it. Unfortunately, it's also one of those things that living in a country outside the U.S. makes hard to get as TC's international shipping has always been bad enough that I never wanted to support them even at the height of their tokens and custom game pieces.

Got an English version from an Italian online retailer, so there are a small number of places that backed the kickstarter at a retailer level and distributed it that way. Most look out of stock now sadly.

They are also doing a reprint + expansions on Gamefound : https://gamefound.com/en/projects/earthborne-games/earthborne-rangers-reprint

HidaO-Win fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 18, 2023

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Deadpool spoilers hit Facebook. Are probably up on other places as well.

Deadpool himself seems neat. Had some really cool stuff going on. The pool aspect I’m just…not sure on. One of my least liked heroes is Star Lord. I don’t like “push your luck” mechanics because it feels like the push is never worth the small gains you get. The pool aspect seems full of small things that work against you. I really just need to see how it plays out when I finally get it to the table. I’m cautiously optimistic but X-23 and Deadpool are both ones where I don’t feel it’s an immediate slam dunk.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It does feel like a lot of orders and stuff you need to built around, but it’s an entire aspect.

Then again, you can still run a ton of basic cards and five or six pink ones. The resources for being undamaged would be great for self-healing heroes like Captain Marvel.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I find the aspect better than the hero, for the reasons Golden Bee mentioned. Deadpool seems far too reliant on his gimmick of being killed from damage and resetting. This strategy seems good only for rushing, and I generally prefer to play a longer game and build some kind of engine or establish a large board.

I'll give him a try but like Spider-Ham I think he's going to sit in my box gathering dust.

Star-Lord was not my favorite either, but I enjoyed playing him as a OTKO hero. I think he had the largest burst potential before Ironheart came along, and now that's trumpted by Domino.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There’s also the idea of playing spider woman or Adam warlock with ‘Pool.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Tried out Psylocke and Angel both with aggression. Psylocke is a pretty good all-rounder. She was able to deal with both Master Mold (even though she couldn’t stun/confuse) and did pretty decent against Red Skull. My friend was doing Justice and so I had to deal a ton with the adds and she did decent with it.

However Angel is just absolutely insane. I got off 2 dive bombs, and ALMOST managed to get off a third, I just needed a double resource. We were fighting against Goblin (mutagen) and his big minions were coming out and I was laughing because I was just nuking them all. He’s absolutely nuts. I’d need to run him a bit more but he seems like he’s only right behind Strange as far as power is concerned.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

He’s flexible, but any scenario with multiple main schemes makes archangel form a liability to end turns in. Up to three bonus threat in venom goblin. He’s not domino, who can gen easily activate both guns with sharp shooter from 4 to 8 free ranged damage.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Golden Bee posted:

He’s flexible, but any scenario with multiple main schemes makes archangel form a liability to end turns in. Up to three bonus threat in venom goblin. He’s not domino, who can gen easily activate both guns with sharp shooter from 4 to 8 free ranged damage.

Sure, but what villain has multiple main schemes? The only one I can think of is Venom Goblin. Sure that can hurt there but Venom Goblin is a pain against most heroes regardless.

I really like Domino too, but comparing able to get out 8 damage to an Angel turns where I easily pumped out 30+ damage isn’t as great. Domino is a pretty good constant but Angels ceiling is way higher.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Fat Samurai posted:

Little late on this, but this is the *ONLY* way my son (10) and I play. We have 4 of the big box expansions and a bunch of the standalone heroes and haven't done a shred of deck building. We love it to death and it's always the first game he requests to play. I'm actually going to dump my Arkham Horror stuff since we play this over AH every time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you are playing a decent amount, it's really worth building the aspect "pods" I linked above, then it's just grab your hero, grab one of the aspects you want to play, shuffle, go. Adds a lot of variety to them with very little overhead or effort. I could see it being great for the kiddo too, since you can say like "do you want to play Hulk that smashes harder or Hulk that is a lot tougher" or "you can be captain america with a bunch of allies or captain america that throws his shield better" etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Bottom Liner posted:

If you are playing a decent amount, it's really worth building the aspect "pods" I linked above, then it's just grab your hero, grab one of the aspects you want to play, shuffle, go. Adds a lot of variety to them with very little overhead or effort. I could see it being great for the kiddo too, since you can say like "do you want to play Hulk that smashes harder or Hulk that is a lot tougher" or "you can be captain america with a bunch of allies or captain america that throws his shield better" etc.

Somehow I missed that post; that's awesome! Def gonna check that out!