Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
If she's not a card game veteran and you are, I'd personally recommend holding off on AGoT. In my experience it doesn't really handle a skill gap all that well given that characters die at the drop of a hat (and when they die, they're dead for good). And I definitely wouldn't call it a "casual" game. Games take a fairly long time (honestly a little longer than I'd like for what it is) and it's still pretty high up on the complexity side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
I was having the same issue with the "4 Decks built from 2x Core" decks on CGDB. Any deck tips for someone who has two cores and one of each of the house deluxe expansion sets? Are the prebuilt theme decks included with the deluxe expansions any better? Or am I still missing a bunch of important stuff from the first season?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

tijag posted:

The 4 decks built from 2 core sets are basically melee decks.

The prebuilt theme decks with the deluxe expansions would be really good, much better than the 4x decks IMO. In addition, I think those prebuilt decks assume you only have 1 core, so you might be able to improve the deck even a bit more.

Having said that, this is a game with a MASSIVE card pool. It hasn't been around as long as MtG, but the game basically has more cards legal for play that Standard does at any given time.
What kinds of things do you have to take into consideration for building melee decks vs joust? I'd like to have the flexibility of playing either way, but if I had to choose one and better decks can bring the playtime down I'd probably lean more towards melee.

No one else in my group is interested in building decks, so I'd prefer to have the set up more as a relatively balanced board game than anything.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Pander posted:

That seems to be me in every challenge.

My outlands deck is too slow to build up questing strength. Right now it's Hirluin, Theodred, and either Boromir (lower threat) or Aragorn (ready-ready!). If I don't get a couple of those +spirit outlands guys early, then I pretty much get overloaded with threat by most quests' openings.

Soloing is hard :(
Outlands is pretty gross once it gets rolling though. We actually play with 3 players:

Theodred/Elrond/Hirluin Outlands deck that regularly puts out 20+ quest/turn by the end of the game
Aragorn/Thalin/Beregond Gondor deck built to sentinel everything
Legolas/Eleanor/Glorfindel support/shooting deck built to complement the sentinel deck (this one's mine)

Last time we played we just barely scraped by on Foundations of Stone though. The other two decks got knocked out on threat after we got split up and I ended up limping over the finish line by myself. Mainly because I lucked out and kept pulling monsters and had Light of Valinar on Glorfindel to help Legolas murder things.

Insta-losing once in a while is just part of the game I think. All it takes is one or two bad treachery pulls that you can't do anything about and you're pretty toast in a lot of quests.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 18, 2014