Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
That Nights Watch event gets even better for Melee because the challenge doesn't even have to be against you. It can really gently caress up someone's day if they're launching an all out attack on someone trying to get them beaten down.

I already like my Nights Watch/Baratheon Melee deck I made but the new cards will make it even more of a threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

EdsTeioh posted:

Because I hate money apparently and LotR, SW and A:NR aren't enough, I decided to pick of AGoT2. Good god, this game is awesome and probably has the best "out of the box" experience I've had with any LCG so far. I just sold off the last of my Warmachine army to get more coresets. Question though: how does Jon Snow work? The wording seems simple, but we coudn't decide what is going on with him. As we understood it, as long as he is standing, he contributes his Str to any conflict you initiate as long as there's another Night's Watch character participating? Is this regardless of challenge type?

That's correct. It's why Jon has a higher cost associated with him and why he's absolutely amazing paired with Longclaw.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I like the events/attachments/plots that Night's Watch is getting and I like running the deck, but does anyone else think most of the locations and characters in the current and upcoming expansions (at least from what's been spoiled) seem pretty garbage? It's all somewhat higher cost characters that have single icons and usually pretty "meh" abilities to go along with them.

Personally I'd like to see a little bit more low/medium cost characters that have some multi icons (low cost characters can have some disadvantage like other low cost house characters can have) it just seems everything they've been releasing has been 3 gold or higher with one icon and for the only house that doesn't have a 0 cost location reducer it seems that decks focusing on Nights Watch as the main house seem pretty lovely. People talk about Stark is the worst house right now, but among my local meta, Nights Watch gets least play (I only play it) and it is pretty hard to win with them.

New agendas seem okay, but I can't see myself running them. Maybe in a Stark deck.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know if you mean specifically for Night's Watch or others, but there have been plenty of good characters that have come out. Looking at a list, Will, Arbor Knight, The Hound, Bastard Daughter, Brothel Madame, The Reader, Nymeria Sand, Syrio Forel, Ser Rodrik, Ser Alliser, Moon Boy, Newly Made Lord and Hedge Knight are all at least playable. But if you want characters with multiple icons, I think Night's Watch is probably not the best faction for you. Although goddamn Watcher in the Walls is harsh.

Specifically Night's Watch.

The other houses all have great characters already (and upcoming) and I know from building my Tyrell/Martell Knight deck that other houses get some really good 2 cost characters that have little to no drawbacks.

Night's Watch just seems to be lacking anything on some real good low cost stuff, and it's just salt in the wound when they're the only house with no 0 gold house reducing location card.

I like my deck, but it's a pain to get stuff out sometimes. All my other decks have much easier time.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

TheHoosier posted:

FFG has some spoilers for Called to Arms, the second pack after Wolves of the North:

Reserve value gonna be super important after the deluxe, it looks like. I like how plot types are really starting to become a valid strategy as well.

Just an FYI. Called to Arms is a long way off. There's 2 more sets yet in the Westeroes cycle and Called to Arms in the second pack in the 5 kings cycle. Wolves of the North should actually be out this upcoming week. So these plots/agenda will not be out for about 4 months.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

JoshTheStampede posted:

Does anyone else think people are way overreacting to First Snow? To hear facebook/cardgamedb tell it, every single deck has been rendered unplayable by it.

My main deck right now is Tyrell Crossing knights/ladies, which everyone says is dead now, but it seems...fine? Like, just don't blow any Roses on small guys and don't Tourney for the King until after the Snow hits. It maybe slows it down a turn but Roses on Arbor Knights and early Tourney turns were greedy and risky already anyway. Now you just have to wait to be in striking distance (which in that deck is like...7-9 power away from winning) before you blow your wad.

I think it's good, but it's nowhere near as good as people are making it out to be if they're claiming its something super amazing. IMO, good decks thrive on being able to push out some weenies to be able to take heat off of your heavy hitters. It's a double edged sword. It's a good plot, but I haven't integrated it into many of my decks because for almost all of them I can see how it would hurt me just as much.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 3, 2016

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Do you want something you can play casually by yourself or with a friend? Lord of the Rings. If your local comic shop has a Game of Thrones group that meets up and you like fighting against others, then I'd recommend that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I rebuilt my Stark deck to do a power grab deck that focuses on Cat and Blackfish and I think that Stark definitely has some good options now. I don't think I had the best opening hand, but i was consistently able to put guys out and have Cat gain power for when someone would leave. Winterfell is an amazing location as the +1 strength across the board really helps.

Also, I know people mentioned that on other forums newest discussion saying that First Snow of Winter (put 3 or lower back to hand) would be the hugest thing in the meta. It's really not. I've found when I've played it has helped a little but usually there's blowback and my opponent had some happen to him and I think once it even affected him worse. The only deck I plan on running it in right now is my Greyjoy because I've built the deck now so it has few 3 costs in it.

All in all Wolves was good expansion and I think it's going to finally make my Stark deck Multiplayer viable.

Sir Mopalot posted:

I saw an allusion to that, and I figured as much based on Netrunner. Any of the other expansions that's super necessary?

Wolves in the North for sure if you plan on playing Stark at all.

No Middle Ground was one of the best of the smaller expansions IMO and should prioritize that. Other than that just try get them all and it won't matter in what order. There's not a huge amount out so it won't take much to catch up.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 8, 2016

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I managed to try out my new Stark deck today and while it took a tiny bit to get its engine going once it did it was a powerhouse and the draw I got wasn't even the best I could have done. I won the game with only 2 power on my house and the rest on my characters. The nice thing about building a deck around sacrificing characters to help Cat is that new plot with 7 gold makes it real easy to stack your deck with a bunch of high cost characters because you can easily throw them out at that point and with some cost reducers out you can just let stuff fly.

Stark definitely got a pretty good buff that makes building decks around them pretty fun and interesting now.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I've got an upcoming tournament in 2 weeks and I think I'm going to run my Stark deck for it. It has tons of high cost but the plots I run means I can afford it. Stark power rushing on characters is real. My second game I've played now I only won with 4 power on my house. 3 was on Sansa, 5 was on Blackfish, 2 on Robb and 1 on Eddard. I didn't even realize I won until I counted to see how much power I needed and I realized I was there. I had grabbed 5 power in one challenge, It was great. Wolves in the North made Stark a great contender.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Preview for the third pack of the new expansion cycle of GoT got put out.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/5/2/for-family-honor/

I posted my thoughts before about how the Night's Watch really weren't getting much in terms of good cards and this pack is definitely a reversal on that. Great character and a good surprise event to play to nab good characters that might have been tossed by people. Hot Pie is okay as well if you're running a loyalty heavy deck.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 4, 2016

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Chaotic Flame posted:

Doesn't lead to the preview

That was weird. It's fixed.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Barristan is crazy good. Having a Stark/Baratheon with a ton of Lord/Ladies would be a pretty neat deck to play that with IMO.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Merauder posted:

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. It's heavy enough putting in one 7-drop with Dany, but two might be too rich. Forces stuff like Pentoshi I think, which I never feel good about.

I've seen people use Pentoshi in my meta and it never works out well. It gives you're opponent a great buff as well, and heaven help you if they use naval superiority which happened to someone at our store tournament so not only did the opponent get the +3 but he got 0 zero money in return. I'd just play banners instead.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GrandpaPants posted:

Fallen from Favor and Calling the Banners seems like the top big money econ cards available.

Yeah, I run 2 Falling From Favor's in my Stark deck. Helps me run a high cost deck that includes Robb, Blackfish, Eddard, and new Cat. I've never really come across money issues unless I've hit a well placed Naval Superiority.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I'm torn. I don't care about armies too much but I can see with that agenda and some of the plots out there how they could be really good (especially that army plot that raises claim by 1)

I would love for a Maester one because having Cressen in a deck would be awesome but I think it would be weakest due to not enough good Maesters.

Knights is probably my #1 though because I run a knights deck for multiplayer and it would probably give some characters like Rodrik an actual use for me.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Bottom Liner posted:

A Game of Thrones is kinda dominated by big characters right now (5+ cost). A recent plot card came out that wipes 3 or less cost character before combat, and it'shad a pretty huge impact on the game. It's a great game, really excited to see the next cycle.

Game of Thrones has always focused on having big characters out while little characters take the brunt. That plot is okay, but personally among my meta I haven't seen it played much because it hurts just as much as it helps.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PaybackJack posted:

No Greyjoy player in your meta?

They Greyjoy that won our store tourney won with a deck that focused on high initiative with 2 claim. His goal was to get Balon out and run Put to the Sword as well. He destroyed a Night's Watch player when he played Naval Superiority and other person dropped Trading with Pentoshi.

I'd have to ask but I'm positive first snow wasn't part of it at all. You can build perfectly good decks without it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Chaotic Flame posted:

Quick question about Arianne Martell in AGoT:

Am I missing something with her ability because I keep reading about people using her in ways that I'm not grasping or her being a much bigger deal than I would think (she's already pretty great)? I've seen people say she grants extra stands but I'm not sure I understand how. Unless it's by using her in a challenge and then bouncing her for a new character who is standing. The wording of the things I'm reading makes it seem like characters that are already on the board are able to stand by using her in some way. Am I misreading or is that possible due to a rules thing I'm overlooking?

There's no way her ability can cause people already on board to stand. I checked cardgamedb to see if there was a convo about it but just found one about being able to throw dupes onto people for free without having to pay her cost of returning to hand.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

alansmithee posted:

Thing is why not just run hand's judgement in those cases?

Because you have to pay for hand's judgement. Which while not a problem with Lannister really, playing levies not only stops plays by the opponent, but gives you more gold for events for you or just having more gold to count towards dominance.

I'm not sure I would run the card myself, but I think it definitely has its place.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Well. Found out I suck at Game of Thrones. I do okay locally but went to regionals and am in process of getting destroyed 0-3 with one more game to go which I'm pretty sure will be another loss.

Not going to bother in the future. Local gonna be good enough for me.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Bottom Liner posted:

Out of curiosity what deck are you playing?

Played a Stark Fealty. Even lost against another Stark, so I know it was a combination of my deck sucking and me being bad.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
There's some other stuff that's been spoiled as well. It's in a boardgamegeek forum thread that's been linked here, the next small expansion has Edmure Tully who can move power off of other characters and move them to House Tully characters. I think my deck that's focused on Blackfish/Catelyn is finally starting to take off in a big way because Blackfish is able to get some big power gain now. I also think this cycle is being especially nice to Nights Watch and in a couple sets will become a huge threat.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PaybackJack posted:

Did I miss that someone started a Game of Thrones 2.0 thread or are people just kind of bored with the game?

Also people are saying on the FFG boards that FFG has lost the license for Games Workshop stuff so RIP Conquest and the Warhammer Quest ACG.

I haven't played much recently so I have nothing too crazy to post. I'm mostly waiting for the Lions expansion and the next small expansion to really beef up the 3 main decks I use.

One thing I can state though, is that the new summer plot from the last expansion is amazing and I can't believe that you can have two in a deck. I'm running a silly Night Watch/Kings of Summer agenda deck with a bunch of neutrals thrown in and my strat is to use the new summer plot right at the beginning of the game because I found people generally try to go big money right at the start. My plan against a guy in my playgroup worked as he played Pentoshi. I walked away with a 17 gold starting turn and was able to put Old Bear and Jon Snow out same turn. Dude held in there, but Nights Watch is getting brutal with their money steal and new plot cards able to generate big dollars.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The full card list has been spoiled on board game geek for quite a while now. There's some pretty decent stuff in it especially for plots.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GrandpaPants posted:

I just played a ridiculous 2h 4p melee game of GoT that I think killed all my interest in Melee. Board wipe after board wipe after board wipe and someone was playing Kings of Winter so that made it extra difficult to crawl back from the Valars and First Snows. It didn't help that the lineup was Tyrell big money (who just sorta got assed on character draws), Martell Rains for the Long Plan/Valar combo, me as Baratheon/NW to control out The Wall, and Lannister/Winter. Holy poo poo that was a slog.

If it's people you know well I'd honestly see about banning valar for big MP games. It's a poo poo card that just slows the game down big time as it's a stall for time tactic. Otherwise just play single player.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I hope it's okay to post it in here, might do so in the Arkham Horror thread, but I've literally only touched this once and haven't ever managed to get back to it. I thought getting in on the ground floor of a game I could play singular or with others would help but I don't have time or money.

I have 2 core sets, the first big box expansion (sans box as puppy destroyed it) and Carnival of Horrors. I live in Canada so shipping to the US would probably cost a bit, but I really just want this stuff gone so shoot me a PM or give me an email and we can talk price.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Hey guys. Question came up for with friend for Game Of Thrones LCG.

For Mandon Moore
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php...don-moore-r1201

If you don’t have the cards in hand to satisfy the discard requirement do you have to kill a person, or can you choose the option to discard and because you have no cards you paid as much of a cost as you could and nothing happens?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CitizenKeen posted:

It's not choose. It's "Do X unless you do Y." Did your opponent choose and discard 2, not 3, not 1, not 0, but 2 cards from their hand? If yes, awesome. If no, then they choose and kill a character.

Ok, thanks. Appreciate the clarification.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Does anybody know how the tournament format works for a game like Marvel? I have a friend interested but he doesn’t own and would just borrow a deck from me. So if I need all 4 decks available that wouldn’t help.

While I’ve pretty much got all the rules down I do have a question about resources. When you play a card like Iron Mans damage one where you discard cards from the deck, and it has to have a certain symbol in order for it to do more damage, does the “wild/anything” resource count for that? Or is that only when you play it from your hand?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CitizenKeen posted:

Wild counts as any resource, unless the rules specify printed resource. Assuming you're talking about Relentless Assault, if you pay for that with a Wild resource, then the attack gains Overkill.

I was talking about repulsor blast, but the part about printed resource cleared that up for me, thanks, as the card does state that. I wasn’t playing as Iron Man so I didn’t look at the card closely enough.

Thanks for heads up.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Shadow225 posted:

Forgive stupid question, but how different would something like Marvel Champions be from Sentinels of the Multiverse? I've never seen a LCG played in person, but I know that I don't want a situation like SotM where there is a ton of book keeping and a deck that offers like one real decision every two turns with limited ways to get what you need out of the deck.

Marvel Champions is better than Sentinels in every single way. I liked Sentinels, but man I remember that game having super small math bits that was so hard to keep track of, and there usually wasn’t that much in terms of decision making. Once you had your good card(s) you just did the same thing over and over again.

Marvel solves this by having a resource cost to a lot of things, and generally you’re super strong hitting things are one time uses. It’s also more strategic because of the alter-ego aspect of the game.

If you liked Sentinels, I think Marvel Champions is probably a slam dunk (unless you hate deck building, which I guess would make Sentinels win by default).

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
FFG confirmed Cap, Ms.Marvel, and Green Goblin shipping in December for US release (I’m hoping this includes Canada).

They’re wildly inconsistent with their release schedule but I’ll take it!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
This came up in a game I just played. With the card lay waste - http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/agameofthrones2ndedition/a-game-of-thrones-2nd-edition-cards/_/dragons-of-the-east/lay-waste-r1408

It says to discard location or attachment. Then you can get a lower cost location or attachment. So if my opponent gets rid of a location, do I have to search for location, or can I then choose that I want an attachment instead?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, that’s how I had interpreted it. So looks like I was okay.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So FFG distribution in Canada continues to suck rear end. My game store only got green goblin and no heroes. They’ll get Miss Marvel next week and Cap is 2-3 weeks after. They put in the order but the distributor was just “well, whoops” which isn’t the first time this has happened.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I played against what I think is the easier of the 2 Green Goblin decks and it was pretty fun. Really different from the other villains. I ran into 2 scenarios we weren’t sure how to play.

1st one was in the encounter deck was an attachment which said to play it to a villain with the highest printed hp. This would not include the main villain as his HP isn’t printed, correct?

Also the villain was told to sometimes get a facedown boost. We assumed it was like when a hero gets an additional encounter and the card comes into play the next time the villain boosts so he would get two.

Do you think we played that correctly? The second situation I’m sure we did but I’m not sure about the first.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Okay. It does seem weird to me because why would they specify printed when they could just say “highest HP” at that point. I’m maybe overlooking some weird edge case scenario.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PJOmega posted:

"Highest HP" would mean "highest current hp." Highest printed is not counting damage already taken or hp boosting modifications.

The villain has highest HP for most part anyway but i guess it’s a way to guarantee it goes on him first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
He apparently is also claiming to have a Hulk hero pack.

FFG must be pissed.

——-

I played 2 games now with Ms.Marvel. One with the protection deck she came with and honestly wasn’t impressed. Felt she was good but could be better. Built a aggression deck for her and absolutely loved it. She was taking down enemies left and right thanks to her support that can add 2 damage to an attack event. My friend I play with got Cap and he seemed pretty good as well.

Absolutely love this game.