Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

FFG do not make it easy to get into their games after the first year or so. Trying to get core sets for lotr in the UK is a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jedit posted:

£30 direct from Amazon.

Note they have no stock and are just letting people order with a stated 1-2 month dispatch time.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

The core set will be in stores by the end of the month hopefully, they just reprinted it and its on the boat now from China. At least, it will be in the US. I have no idea if it will take longer for UK stores to stock it. Guess it depends if it has to ship to the US first and then to you.

Hey, good to know, thanks. My flgs hasn't gotten back to me yet.

This being solo is going to help, I have a pile of agot stuff that never gets played :(

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

High Command was dull with just the starter set but it is a much, much better game now.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Exmond posted:

I.. really dislike High Command. My buddy played khador and won just by buying units that give victory points, instead of fighting over territory. This was in a 3-4 player game though.

With just the base sets? It's much, much harder to get anywhere now with Khador ignoring fights.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Azran posted:

High Command seems to be "pick three color stacks and shuffle".

No, it's pick three sets of cards from within your three chosen colours. You're still going to have to make decisions as to which cards to take in each detachment.

The lcg that most interested me with its minimal pregame deck building was star wars but the buy in is typical ffg bullshit and I don't know if the game itself is actually any good. You're only deciding on ten cards though, which are the objectives and bring other cards with them. Pretty neat, especially as I'm terrible at creating decks normally.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

omnibobb posted:

Star Wars is a really fun game, but FFG has kind of shot themselves in the foot by having massive delays between product and the nature of the pod system meaning the meta changes very slowly.

I don't mind a slow moving meta as I only really play with a small group of friends and we have so many games to play. It's whether you can reliably easily build multiple decks that can compete against each other on a regular basis without buying a bajillion copies that tends to affect purchasing decisions.

I'm fairly sure it was the Shut Up And Sit Down review of the Star Wars LCG that turned me off it, they were hugely negative about it.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

In SUSD case in particular, I think their reasoning was literally "it's cool enough I guess, but we're too busy binging on Netrunner to bother with other LCGs".

No, it was something along the lines of each player's turn being so independent of everything else that it was very hard to build up any kind of flow or predict your opponent or something. Ah gently caress it, here's the link.

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/review-star-wars-card-game/

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Please tell me that 2x Core sets is going to give me a fun and varied and balance experience for me and my friend(s) and I don't need to pick up a 3rd :(

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Azran posted:

I THINK you should be fine, as long as you're not planning to do tournaments or anything like that for people outside your group of friends.

A big caveat is that, depending on how many players you got, you should try and remove the Rogue Traider and Void Pirate from the decks.

Yeah, no tournaments or anything like that. I've been burned before but this was a Christmas present that I added a second set to just to make it reasonably playable for two non-newbies to LCGs.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

gently caress, it would be nice if the relaunch and clean up meant we didn't need to buy three cores for once.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

MisterShine posted:

But that requires it in hand I would assume?

You play it as a sort of "armour" for that character. Any dupe uniques you draw after a character enters the dead pile is wasted though.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Every time people mention void pirates and rogue traders wrt Conquest it bugs the hell out of me that these cards are auto-include (at least one set of 3-of) and demand a 3x core and gently caress you if you're trying to ensure a good/fair selection of cards for 2 players to play against each other because even then 3x core isn't enough :(

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

The easy solution is to have one person have X Cores and the other just plays Tyranids :v:

Unironically already decided to do this!

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

Building 2 decks out of 3 cores is exactly the situation that works in conquest though, since you get 2 of the neutrals per core.

Bah, lovely memory I guess. I have 2 cores as it is and for some reason thought those were 1-ofs.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

What makes L5R good? What's the defining mechanic(s)?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Awesome posts, cheers guys. I'm not sure I have room in my life for another LCG beyond a core set, though. Will have to keep an eye on this.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Eric Lang isn't exactly a one trick pony either.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

That seems like a good step. FFG needs to step up getting orders out to LCGs. Owner was telling me he had no way to order new GoT core sets and has no idea when Taking the Black is coming in.

Flgs you man?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Double sleeving anything sounds like masochism.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

These articles are fantastic. Thanks!

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

I didn't think the next cycle in LOTR could get more hyped.
But it has.
Check out this new location concept :catstare:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/1/6/temple-of-the-deceived/

My first thought was that it's going to take up a ridiculous amount of space now.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

If you want something a bit lighter than the Lord of the rings, then the Warhammer quest card game removes the deck building aspect and makes it a much smoother experience. I have both and thoroughly enjoyed playing both, but WHQ is much more likely to get played

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Can anyone recommend a good guide/article series on Conquest deckbuilding/strategy?

Someone in this thread did a series of posts on CardgameDB I believe. Can't search for them right now but you might have more luck.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Merauder posted:

Mainly the mana system is the major complaint, and ability to be screwed/flooded and in turn randomly not be able to even take part in the game you're playing. Epic uses a simple system of being able to play one card each turn if memory serves, and doesn't use any kind of mana or resource system.
They also tried to streamline the combat, though it was a while ago that I played so I don't remember exactly what was different, but do remember thinking they just made it less interesting.

It's nowhere near as complex as MTG and this is a good thing because that game is loving impenetrable for normal people.

Epic boils the mana system down to stuff costing 0 and stuff costing 1 and it works a charm. It's a quick and easy card game to play with 2+ people that has a ton of familiar formats but skips everything that sucks about LCG/CCG games.

It's not meant to be a competitor to MTG, but a light alternative.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Yeah, the recommendation is to buy a second core. It's quite a cheap box and so worth it. AGOT2 clicked with me better than any other card game (I'm just a casual lcg player, I've dabbled in netrunner, conquest, invasion, agot1) and I'm really impressed with the design.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I think I'd quite like the Star Wars LCG system if it wasn't tied to an existing franchise. A modern / future war version of it would interest me majorly.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

CaptainRightful posted:

Sticking with each quest until you defeat it is probably not the most enjoyable way to play this game--be prepared to hit some brick walls immediately followed by cakewalks.

It's a great way to play it, particularly with a regular partner.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I love that it's co-op, and I love that it has campaign rules. For some reason, I'm getting an X-Files CCG vibe from it.

Now I want an X-COM co-op LCG.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

It's like every recent FFG release. Armada had it, WHQ card game had it, plenty of others.

It's not ideal because in most cases the learn to play book actively teaches you the wrong rules or skips super important stuff.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I've made my peace with the core sets now. My real problem is that monthly packs are way too frequent for someone who plays multiple games.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

It might just be because I've played some LOTR and the Warhammer card game but this was by far the smoothest learning experience I've had with FFG.

Although I haven't yet read the rules reference to discover where the learn to play book lies to you like it does in so many other FFG releases...

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

What other FFG games lie to you in the tutorial, and how?

If I remember correctly, the tutorial for Game of Thrones has you randomly determine who sets up their face down cards first, but in tournament games both players just flop down their cards simultaneously. Not so much of a lie as a shortcut though.

From memory both Star wars Armada and the Warhammer Quest card game both had major discrepancies between the two books. I don't remember specifics any more.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Zerf posted:

I also think that her unique amulet is somewhat lackluster - if you get it in your starting hand you really can't play it since none of your events will end up in the discard pile.

Ehhh.. No. Start using your event cards to boost skill tests. Then they'll be in your discard pile.

Wendy is good and her dodge shenanigans (which exhausts enemies) can be amazing.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Max posted:

To be fair, it can suck drawing that amulet right out of the gate and knowing you have to hold on to it until enough events have been played.

That doesn't make any sense. Any events in your discard pile beneath a card that isn't an event are dead to you.

The amulet lets you use events as skill boosters then play them. That's strong at every point in the game but especially early on when you don't have a lot of assets in play and need the help.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Not to spoil things but there's a way to keep her for the campaign.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

FFG overseas shipping is obscene

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

For their recent sale, shipping to the UK for a $40 order was something like $70.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Yeah, very few cards in the core set require you to exhaust them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Drawing a -3 sucks but did you not use her special ability to re draw? And how were you cycling your deck?

I also think most people are playing two characters.