Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I only have the core set, The Black Riders, and Khazad-Dum, but I've found the 3-sphere suggested Hobbit deck from the rulebook, built using the Core+TBR, to be really fun to play. What are some of the other sets that have decent cards for building along the Hobbit theme? LOTR is one of my favorite games, but I rarely have a chance to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I haven't played too many of the newer quests, but Khazad Dum and accompanying series of packs like Road to Rivendell, had a lot of pretty ridiculous answer or die bullshit in them that I think they've swung away from in general in later releases. The most annoying quests I can think of all come from that set.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I absolutely love Deadlands, but never got around to trying Doomtown. I feel kind of iffy about AEG's rules a lot of the time from my experience with L5R and some of their other games, moreso than FFG- enough so that I'm definitely going to wait until I hear some more reviews/see it played before I jump on board. Are there any preview copy reviews or anything floating about?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

From all the lotr talk I'm guessing that lotr is a pretty good game? I am intruiged by the idea of a cooperative card game and would love to try it out with some friends.

LOTR is probably my favorite LCG, even moreso than Netrunner. Granted, its purely because I prefer playing with friends to playing against them, but LOTR is a very well designed game. I've previously run a PbP game of the first scenario (Passage Through Mirkwood), and had planned on doing a PbP of Khazad-Dum last december but that fell through before I got it off the ground due to work. I would like to try running it on the forums again soon, I should have some free time coming up next month.

Jedit posted:

If people really want to know what it's about, I'll do a four-sided LP of the classic game (using some of the new rules for shootouts) in the same manner as my Shadowfist LP. I have eight bicycle decks together already, so I can either pick the four that most closely match the new factions (Law Dogs, Black Jacks, Sweetrock and Whateleys) or pick decks that show off everything bar Cheating (Black Jacks, Texas Rangers, Collegium and Sioux Nation).

I would really love to see this. I'm still really on the fence about Doomtown, even after watching some reviews and going through the rulebook. I also worry because introducing Netrunner to friends was a struggle against the steep learning curve, and with Doomtown appearing even steeper I may as well just buy a very heavy paperweight.*

*LOTR also gets extra points from me for being actually fun playing solitaire

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I hope dead trading card games coming back as LCGs becomes a thing. I for one would love to get Star Wars CCG: the LCG :allears:

I'm eagerly awaiting VTES/Jyhad becoming an LCG. My only experience with it was playing it on Lackey with friends years ago, and it handled multiplayer politics really well. I doubt it'd happen, but I can wish, right?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

InShaneee posted:

FFG was actually working on this, but ultimately decided not to do it.

:smith:

I'm curious why. I wouldn't have minded it ditching the VTM setting, but the mechanics were pretty solid (based on my limited experience with it).

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I saw mention of the new LOTR Deluxe set earlier in the thread, but here are some pictures for the sake of completeness. I'm pretty excited about a box set with more Undead and Dunedain.

I'm missing a lot of the LOTR sets, but the theme on this one is enough for me to pick it up before some of the others I'm missing.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
While I'm thinking about LOTR at the moment, what are some good mono-sphere deck builds? I still only have a single core*, and it makes having multiple decks a bit hard if they involve 2-3 different spheres (like the Merry-Pippin-Sam Hobbit deck I currently use in solitaire).

*I don't play enough/with enough other people to justify getting a second core- I'm pretty casual with the game despite loving it

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

mongol posted:

First, Leadership Aragorn, then Lore Aragorn, now Fellowship and Tactics Aragorn. How soon do you think before we have a Spirit Aragorn?

The two Dunedain heroes in the box are clearly Tactics Aragorn and Spirit Aragorn.

I'm not a huge fan of the Dunedain mechanism they're showing off though in that preview.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

DontMockMySmock posted:

Seems like they took the opportunity to add a lot of sweet quest content, especially a host of new boons and burdens for the campaign (covering the Council of Elrond through to the end of Fellowship). You're right about the strong cards, though. My friend opened the box earlier today; it looks pretty sweet. Gandalf hero + gandalf's staff + gandalf's pipe looks like an auto-include for any deck where you don't know what to do for your third hero; the pipe negates his "drawback" of being unable to cast poo poo from hand and the staff is just baller as gently caress. There's some other cool stuff too; all in all I can't wait to play it.

Great to hear. The Black Riders was probably my favorite expansion they've released so far, and I'm definitely looking forward to continuing the campaign mode. Speaking of which, isn't there supposed to be one or two new Print on Demand quests that also add to the campaign mode? I seem to remember something about Bombadil and the Barrow Wights being GenCon and some special October scenario.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

S.J. posted:

Isn't LotR a 1-2 player game?

You can play with up to 4. The core box can play 1-2 comfortably with some basic deck building. You can play 4 with a core box if you just use the four single sphere decks but theres no room for deck building.

There are only 2 Shadow Tracker dials in a core set, but its not too hard to just use a pencil and paper with more players if you don't have them.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Would there be any interest in a PbP of the LOTR game? A long time ago I ran the first scenario of the Core Set for 4 players just using the single sphere decks. I can probably dig up my old OP and spreadsheet to showcase it again.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Spiders and Trolls and Nazgul! Oh My! is up! We'll just use the four starter decks and the first scenario to start with.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

S.J. posted:

That is correct.

I'm honestly sad the original idea for the Star Wars LCG got scrapped (it was going to be Co-Op like LOTR)

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

S.J. posted:

Well now I am too because I'm not a big fan of the current SW LCG.

I keep wanting to get/try the SW LCG but I know I wouldn't have anyone to play with. I moved to a new place about a month and a half ago and still haven't found anyone to game with. Sooooo Co-op/Solo games generally get played a lot more often. The FLGS are a bit...strange, to say the least.

I can't remember all the details about why they switched the design after working on it for a while, I think it had to do with 1) differentiating it from LotR 2) people wanted to play Imperials/Scum/Sith 3) lots of bitching on the FFG boards. I could be completely wrong since its been a while, I've just heard all of those floated about.

Speaking of good co-op card games, I downloaded the iOS app of Sentinels of the Multiverse, and have been kicking myself for not checking it out sooner. The art was kind of a turn off, but its an excellent co-op game.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

mongol posted:

The app does help with the math involved in SoTM. LOTR is a superior game, to SoTM among others.

Speaking of apps, LackeyCCG has an iPad app now. You can get the LOTR plugin, but my god, this app is confusing to use. I'm fairly adept at playing LOTR on OCTGN. Does anyone know any tricks to using Lackey?

That is good news. There is a net runner plugin for Lackey as well that I've been meaning to try out. I think they have plugins for all the LCG lines, as well. I'm on a Mac, and can't use OCTGN. :(

I'm enjoying SoTM as an app, and appreciate the puzzle of figuring out the gimmick each deck is built to play. The Absolute Zero deck, for instance, reminded me of setting up janky MTG combos. I can see it not having much depth, though.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I sat down today and thought I'd try out Massing at Osgiliath, one of the special GenCon scenarios that came out a few years back. Of course, I decided to be a masochist and attempt it playing solo, with just my Hobbit deck (mostly Core + Black Riders).

Sweet Jesus did I get murdered. I hadn't bothered to read the quest cards in advance, managed to rush through up to the Crossing, and then realized I'd lose one of my three heroes. Sacrificed Pippin and thought I'd try to blitz past the final stage's 15 Quest Points, only for a combination of the Witch King and a forced active location adding an extra 7 quest points I'd need to get to stall me out. I struggled for another turn before an Easterling Captain arrived to dump two more scouts into the staging area, and poor Sam and Merry got overrun just outside the gates of the White City.

Now that I've been brutalized by it, I suppose I should attempt to build a deck or pair of decks to actually handle that quest. Has anyone else found any good strategies for this quest?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
When I got out of Magic I was stuck with a bunch of UltraPro and Dragonshields of pretty decent quality, so I tend to just re-use those. I really wouldn't recommend sleeving everything, just enough for active decks. I was used to sleeving everything and it took a while to break the habit, but since I don't need to worry about condition and resale value anymore its a lot more relaxed.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Zombie #246 posted:

For someone finally getting around to playing the Star Wars lcg I've had for a while, is there a general theme to the factions, or the types of decks you would typically see with them?

The Star Wars LCG thread will probably be more helpful, but just with the core set, here's what I've seen:

Sith: Very board control oriented/Defensive
Imperial Navy: Offensive rush

Jedi: Powerful characters/enhancements, think enchantment/aura decks in Magic
Rebel Alliance: Another offensive rush type build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

sirtommygunn posted:

A conscious decision to be lazy.

Every faction should have access to Bears