Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

LOTR:LCG I have Core, Black Riders, Heirs of Numenor and the entire Against the Shadow cycle's worth of APs, and a couple assorted APs (Foundations of Stone, Journey of Rhosgobel).

Is an outlands-centered leadership-mono deck the best possible deck here, with Hirluin, Aragorn, and then ??? (Boromir? Not much Gondor synergy, mostly just Outlands).

How well does a Hobbitty-deck do outside of BR? What colors work best with a Hobbity deck? I mean Sam seems like a given, Merry seems like a beatstick (especially with Frodo in BR), but Pippin or Fatty or alternate-Pippin as a 3rd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'd vote not to worry about it too much except don't just get Heirs of Numenor first (cause I hear its super hard if you have a limited pool of cards). I started with Khazad-dum and Dwarrowdelf cycle because it was what was in stock when I wanted more quests. Working though it now, so far I am enjoying it quite a bit.
The Hobbit and Saga stuff is super thematic. I can't wait to get more of that too.

Give this a read if you want more help: http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

I've got the Heirs of Numenor and Against the Shadow cycle in full, along with the base, Black Riders, and a couple other APs from Mirkwood/Dwarrodelf. I've made a nice Outlands deck (I think!), but unless I get those +willpower outlands allies, I absolutely need a partner who can quest worth a drat.

I think it's possible to make decks, but they're probably best off being combat focused. I'm investigating a ranger/trapping deck possibility, low threat, good questing, and knocking creatures out via traps. It sounds like a fun idea that HoN helps push. Not sure about viability.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

In LotR LCG does "Active location" also refer to quest card if you don't have a location?
Such as for Lorien Guide: "After Lorien Guide commits to a quest place 1 progress token on the active location."

I believe that's correct.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

jivjov posted:

So mono-tactics is hard mode? That may explain why the second quest of the core box is kicking my teeth in so hard.

Absolutely. Mono tactics has almost no questing ability. You can kill stuff, but locations piling up in the staging area will drive you threat to 50 pretty fast.

The best core-only mono-deck combo in my view is spirit/leadership. One person on spirit, questing, while leadership kills stuff.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Nibble posted:

It does work the other way around though, right? Like Legolas says to put tokens on the current quest, but if there's an active location they go there instead.

Crap that's what I was thinking of. Yeah, active location is active location.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

WELP.
Just lost two times against Watcher in the Water in probably less time than it took to set them up. I suppose that means time to make a new deck. hahaha.
That seems to be me in every challenge.

My outlands deck is too slow to build up questing strength. Right now it's Hirluin, Theodred, and either Boromir (lower threat) or Aragorn (ready-ready!). If I don't get a couple of those +spirit outlands guys early, then I pretty much get overloaded with threat by most quests' openings.

Soloing is hard :(

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

So I think my Steward's Fear AP was missing two cards, two outlands ally cards (the +spirit and +attack ones). I only have 2/3 of each of those two.

Is that, uh, commonplace?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I played one game ever, and I've searched top to bottom to try to figure out where I might have misplaced them. At the time I think I noted it was odd that it seemed I had fewer of them, but I was new enough to the game where I wasn't really paying attention to the fact there should have been 3.

I'm asking if anyone's known of APs being shorted because if not the probable alternative is that I DID somehow lose them despite never taking them out of my apartment, only using them once, and having searched it up and down for those two cards.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Jedit posted:

If you only have two of any Fellowship card then you're missing some, because there are three of each in every AP. Shadow it's harder to tell because they vary.

I know there are supposed to be 3. That's why only having two is frustrating, especially since I wanted to make an outlands deck. Guess I'm buying another Steward's Fear AP :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

Nah, what he said was that the movies influenced how we all think of some things and his example was Moria. If you ask anyone their quintessential Moria experience would involve waves of goblins, but that's not really what happened in the books, it's just a movie thing. He didn't say anything about rights to the films.

I also hate the books and the prose is terrible in English too. I can't stand how dry Tolkien is.

It's a dense read that takes a lot of effort to keep mentally fluid. On the other hand, listening to it on audiobook is astounding. I can't recommend a good audiobook of LotR enough. Made my commute wonderful and really provided imagery that had escaped me in the past when I'd read (made Tom Bombodil better, made their flight in the night clearer, the geography of Helm's deep made more sense...basically everything was better thanks to having someone speak versus having to read).